It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Microfish_1: I still don't see why folk thought SPF was scummy, but no matter.
You're too kind, but nah I clearly played badly here. Joppo saved the day (as much as was realistically possible :P).
ZFR:
Thanks for the game again. It was confusing, but also fun.

@all: I wasn't mad/sour/frustrated/whatever, but thoroughly confused and just glad I got put out of my misery. I realized too late, that it was a mistake to just try to play it without observing first to get an understanding of the mechanics and stuff. Also I only have spare free time, so that made it even worse. I'm sorry about that.
It still was fun. So thanks for that.

Microfish_1: I feel badly about Flocke's early departure from this game. I thought he picked up on something several times. I am interested in knowing what he and RW saw but didn't say...
I saw things that weren't there. My first post in the observer thread summs it up pretty much.

gogtrial34987: @Flocke: I hope you'll still look in and the experience you had didn't sour you too much on giving mafia another try. The attention to detail you've shown can be an extremely valuable skill when playing mafia (on either side). You need to have some experience with playing to use it effectively and figure out what's significant and what isn't, so hopefully you'll stick around until you have that.
Making things up that aren't there is a valuable skill? :-P First time a get to hear something like this. You are too kind. :-)

agentcarr16: ...
You certainly gave my brain lots of bad ideas to run away with. :-D It was fun, at least for me. Not your fault it also made me feel overwhelmed. My brain just hates me sometimes.
FlockeSchnee: Making things up that aren't there is a valuable skill? :-P First time a get to hear something like this. You are too kind. :-)
This time it wasn't there, and knowledge about game mechanics and how things generally flow would've told you that. But similar things very much can be there, and can be very significant. Noticing breadcrumbs from town PRs can be greatly beneficial to scum, and scum frequently slips up with tiny inconsistencies, so a town player who notices those is an incredible boon.

In lieu of observing a game first (which I agree would've been beneficial to do), it can also work to just read a few previously finished mafia games (see a list here). You'll miss some information about timing, but will still get a good sense about the general flow.
Thank you all and especially the host ZFR for the chance to play this game. It was a very different experience from the last time I played mafia, albeit a fun one.
agentcarr16: @Everyone else - I won't apologies for all of my antics at the beginning of the game, but I will apologize for going on a bit too long with them. I also have to say that I'm burning out on mafia. I'll be taking a break for a while now that this game is over.
That seems more than fair(you WILL still watch from the sidelines and cheer us on, I hope?).

As for me....i'll likely get roped in AGAIN.....eh, I have nothing much else to do anyways.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Aside: And with the world as it is atm, I am expecting we'll have a bunch more people to join in for the next few games. o.0
=======================================================

FlockeSchnee: @all: I wasn't mad/sour/frustrated/whatever, but thoroughly confused and just glad I got put out of my misery. I realized too late, that it was a mistake to just try to play it without observing first to get an understanding of the mechanics and stuff. Also I only have spare free time, so that made it even worse. I'm sorry about that.
It still was fun. So thanks for that.
If your job makes you work from home now(sadly, due to covid) you could spend some more time with us next game or the one after...etc.....just a thought. :)
Post edited March 15, 2020 by GameRager
ZFR: Though technically not a player, Dumbledore rules that Professor ZFR's finding of the Hat counts as a win. The Uniwizard Tournament is officially over.
Hooray!

Fun game! :D
yogsloth: Ponder this - we no-lynched D1, killed a townie N1, lynched a townie D2, and by N2 mafia team had been mathematically eliminated.
Yeah, you guys had some poor luck. Glad you still had fun!

gogtrial34987: /me high-fives his big bro
/high fives, low fives, side-to-side, back-to-back, belly-bump-jump, whoo!

Lifthrasil: @Joe (and others): see! I wasn't scum! I can be Town too ;-)
Ooooh you really boiled my potatoes with that 'drop the ball' comment. My biggest disappointment of the game is ONCE AGAIN failing to get lifthrasil lynched. Ah well. I'm sure I'll manage it in game #65...

FlockeSchnee: You certainly gave my brain lots of bad ideas to run away with. :-D It was fun, at least for me. Not your fault it also made me feel overwhelmed. My brain just hates me sometimes.
Ah I felt really bad for being part of your lynch! If I hadn't been away for the time I would have unvoted and perhaps things would have gone differently - still, I think your flip made Yogsloth look bad, which might have contributed to the Night 2 events and got him caught, so there's that!

I hope you do play with us again! My brain has got me into some dire situations in mafia games before, but that's the fun of it!

ConsulCaesar: Thank you all and especially the host ZFR for the chance to play this game. It was a very different experience from the last time I played mafia, albeit a fun one.
Good game! Well done on your universally-scumread-for-no-reason status! It is a much-coveted title :)
yogsloth: Ponder this - we no-lynched D1, killed a townie N1, lynched a townie D2, and by N2 mafia team had been mathematically eliminated.
JoeSapphire: Yeah, you guys had some poor luck. Glad you still had fun!
Finding the cop on N1 and then not trying to kill him on N2 isn't bad luck. ;)
JoeSapphire: My biggest disappointment of the game is ONCE AGAIN failing to get lifthrasil lynched. Ah well. I'm sure I'll manage it in game #65...
There was a point where we thought it might be a good idea to keep you around for a bit longer to get Lift lynched etc., but I think your fate was pretty pretty much sealed once you claimed for realz.
Post edited March 16, 2020 by SirPrimalform
SirPrimalform: There was a point where we thought it might be a good idea to keep you around for a bit longer to get Lift lynched etc., but I think your fate was pretty pretty much sealed once you claimed for realz.
Yeah I messed up Night 4 bad. I knew it was exactly the wrong thing to do, but then I don't know what happened??
Still, claiming was immensely fun.
JoeSapphire: Good game! Well done on your universally-scumread-for-no-reason status! It is a much-coveted title :)
Coveted? I get similar in near every game. ;)
SirPrimalform: There was a point where we thought it might be a good idea to keep you around for a bit longer to get Lift lynched etc., but I think your fate was pretty pretty much sealed once you claimed for realz.
JoeSapphire: Yeah I messed up Night 4 bad. I knew it was exactly the wrong thing to do, but then I don't know what happened??
Still, claiming was immensely fun.
After Carradice's hints that it wasn't you who stopped the N3 mafia kill we figured you got spooked and thought he was going to out you as a fraud or somesuch.

I'm assuming you were actually trying to hit scum when you NK me. Were you giving the scumhunting a rest because it would take ages for you to NK everyone by yourself?
joppo: Man you had to come and vote me hadn't you? Why couldn't it be Agent coming to vote Lift instead?
PookaMustard: Heh. I knew holding back my investigation immunity shots would have came in handy.
Hmm, I don't follow. That immunity shot didn't help you at all. In fact it almost worked against you when you decided to amend your claim to say you had that shot. If I were you I just wouldn't say I had that immunity shot.

It would have helped you if you had picked up on my lie like ZFR said, but that can't be what you were saying, is it? You wrote this before ZFR revealed how you could end the game earlier.

ZFR: Yes, Carradice was definitely the best player for Town. Made every shot count, did very good analysis (though I'm not a fan of the charts), and even made use of the normally worthless Neighbour chat.

You did a great job holding as long as you could, almost making it to D7.

It's easy for me to say, but I think on D6 saying you were blocked was better than saying you followed agent. Even saying you followed Lift would have been a good gambit seeing how no kill happened. Though who knows.
Regarding your Tracker claim, you could have left the number of shots left vague on purpose (like Joe did) which is something Town do (then on later days you could see how it goes and either claim you tracked someone or claim you were limited shot). Even after claiming full Tracker on D4, on D5 you could have said that you're out of shots but you didn't mention it earlier to soad the NK.
But regardless, it was a tough position to be in.
I'm not really a fan of the charts either. Not only because it makes the game more mechanical (therefore more boring), but also because they can be abused.
"We need another mislynch. Well let's see who's the next townie in the suspicion chart and gently push the others to suspect them a bit more..."
Besides, they are useful to cement suspicions over those who are already suspected, like Yogs was, but they don't help find those that fly under the radar like I did most of the game. Carradice had me figured out in the observer thread, not because of the chart but because he noticed I was trying not to clear anyone i.e. plain old scumhunting.

About claiming anything instead of following Agent, I don't know. It's possible it would work better, but honestly I couldn't walk out of that corner I painted myself into without getting some dirt onto myself no matter what.
Post edited March 16, 2020 by joppo
joppo: I'm not really a fan of the charts either. Not only because it makes the game more mechanical (therefore more boring), but also because they can be abused.
My problem with the charts is that I don't think "scumminess" can be properly quantified. What is 5/10 for someone might be 7/10 for someone else.
Also, scumminess of a person is not an independent event. Consider for example two people, both acted scummy but if one is scum the other is most certainly town and vice-versa, but for the moment I can't tell which one of them would it be. What score should I give them? Both 3 for being scummy? Both 5 for being in the scum-town relationship? Analysis of the results of the charts won't show this relation.
joppo: I painted myself into without getting some dirt onto myself no matter what.
Oh yeah, one more thing against agent that I just remembered. When it was obvious the "main characters" Harry, Ron and Hermione weren't in play, it wasn't unreasonable to assume that the same is for Slytherin: Draco isn't in play; especially with Pansy, a bit of a minor character appearing in play. So the third Slytherin character could have been... Crabbe; which is what agent claimed.
Post edited March 16, 2020 by ZFR
joppo: About claiming anything instead of following Agent, I don't know. It's possible it would work better, but honestly I couldn't walk out of that corner I painted myself into without getting some dirt onto myself no matter what.
Thing is, because of the lack of kill you could easily have claimed to have tracked anyone and it wouldn't have cleared them. That was literally one of the reasons for skipping the kill. :P
Microfish_1: Joppo's one mistake lay in his not claiming a limited tracker, but he still read townie enough I didn't think he was scum. Although, I did have this niggling doubt remembering how decisive he was in calling in the last SH game, but I put it down to a different game, or playing vs merely watching.
Also, if he had claimed to be blocked or otherwise no result last night that would have been better and confirmed him as town for me. All in all an exceptional run for a first-time-in-a-long-time player.
Thank you. I think you're being too harsh on yourself. It's kinda expected anyone would feel relaxed and toothcomb other's posts less often after being confirmed. As ZFR said when flub was a D1 IC the game got incredibly boring for them.

I thought about throwing a random guess out there in my first post but decided against it. I will only do it in observer threads from now on.