It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Time to make those cards sing.

CD PROJEKT RED just announced the start of Public Beta for <span class="bold">GWENT: The Witcher Card Game</span> for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4.
For those who still haven't felt its warm embrace, GWENT is an engrossing card game featuring creatures, characters, and lore from The Witcher series.

You can download <span class="bold">GWENT</span> from GOG.com and start playing immediately.
Moreover, since the game is powered by GOG Galaxy, those playing on PC will be able to do battle with their Xbox One and PS4 friends!

“Public Beta is an important step towards GWENT’s final release,” said Marcin Iwiński, co-founder of CD PROJEKT RED. “We’re opening the gates to everyone who wanted to play, but didn’t make it into the Closed Beta, and — at the same time — we’re introducing some pretty significant content and gameplay changes like adding animated versions of cards for every card in the game, new starter decks, or how weather cards work,” Iwiński adds. “I’m extra curious how all of the community feedback we’ve incorporated will resonate with both current players and those who’re just starting. Please keep the feedback coming, we’re listening!”

In addition to the cinematic trailer, CD PROJEKT RED has also released a gameplay video presenting GWENT’s features (you can watch them both below), and a set of faction videos covering the playstyles of each of the game’s five factions.

More information about GWENT and the Public Beta is available in the <span class="bold">FAQ</span> section of <span class="bold">playgwent.com</span>.

Watch the cinematic trailer.

Watch the gameplay trailer.
Post edited May 24, 2017 by maladr0Id
tfishell: I can understand the complaints about in-game purchases, but why complain about an online-only game if it was designed that way? Did forum-ites not want the public beta to release until the single-player content was available? (What if CDPR never promised single-player content, would there be less complaining?) Or did they want a LAN connection option or similar?
Icinix: At this stage I take issue because I haven't come across a statement that the SP portion will be offline / not contain in game transactions.
That's fair.
No Linux version - no dice (or rather, no card).
PaterAlf: Isn't that contradicting?
BKGaming: Not really some games use an online connection to force DRM, other use is because the game is specifically designed for an online experience. The first one is DRM, the latter is not.

Some people have a hard time understanding the difference...
I suspect that most people understand the difference, but are suspicious whether the given reason is the real reason. Not that I'm questioning it in this case.
low rated
hey gog!

is the 1st thing you do every morning, asking yourself "whats the best way to suck more then yesterday"?
high rated
CRO_Revan: But it is one game, still in development. How can you create F2P game without multiplayer and without game constantly being online? Free-to-play games are made to be competative, multiplayer, online (World of Tanks, LOL etc.). It's not like all games on GOG.com all of a sudden require online authentication in order to play.
But it does raise questions.

If there's one game on here like that, will they get more?
Will they still be sticking by their DRM-free stance in negotiations with publishers with the same firmness?
What exactly is GOG's definition of DRM-free, and does it match what we think it is?
Is GOG changing their stance on DRM-free?

For people who are here precisely because of GOG's past record on answers to these questions, the answers now matter a great deal.
ncameron: But it does raise questions.

If there's one game on here like that, will they get more?
Will they still be sticking by their DRM-free stance in negotiations with publishers with the same firmness?
What exactly is GOG's definition of DRM-free, and does it match what we think it is?
Is GOG changing their stance on DRM-free?

For people who are here precisely because of GOG's past record on answers to these questions, the answers now matter a great deal.
The pre-order crap is relevant too, granted this isn't new per-se but I can't be the only one who remembers the relatively recent launch of Hybrid Wars, where 3 out of the 5 characters in the game were locked behind pre-ordering, season pass and making an account on their website respectively despite the models for the characters being visible in-game.

GOG apparently had no problem letting that happen.
Icinix: The discussion of what constitues DRM. Your discussion is the first time I've ever heard of Spyware being a criteria for DRM. Online requirement has to me and others always been a shifty way to have DRM without it being technically DRM.

Online only / F2P only. Does it have a place on GOG if it goes against the very things GOG was founded on.

Finally - if you like it - good for you. Again, you don't have a dog in this fight. You're happy, you're set. For those of us against the idea, even if GOG comes out now and says 'Galaxy optional, SP offline, one off purchase ofr SP' and we go YAY - it won't affect you at all. You'll still have the online , F2P portion, and GOG has held true to it's values.

So why would you enter debates with others to fight against that, when you're already happy, and this would make them happy.
DRM is everything, every single criteria that cannot be found on GOG. Origin ifself was known to be spyware, prying around other people programs outside of gaming range. Windows 10 reports outdated DRMs as spyware, etc... All singleplayer games trying to/must be online is DRM also. CD-Keys and random authentications with server also, etc... all fall into online criteria as you wrote yourself. But you actually didn't pay for the game in order to complain about the system, did you? GOG isn't forcing the game or forcing you to pay real money in order to actually play the game, nor is forcing you, as GOG user/customer, to be online while playing other games in your collection? So, why attacking DRM-free policy based on one game many of you don't even like?...

But I will stop. True enough. Everything you said stand. My bad. I like card games and Gwent is far better then any other card game out there. That is my subjective opinion. But, since I'm happy with the game, I don't have a dog in this fight, your words. I will take my leave now, starting to wonder why I even bothered in the first place... :)

Cheers!

BTW - GOG.com is owned by CDPR, so naturally, they are releasing their game on their home-platform. Imagine what would happened if Gwent was released on Steam/Uplay/Origin only? Would that satisfy the GOG.com DRM-free policy or would you riot even more? Rhetorical questions. No answers needed. :)

MarkoH01: Maybe they simply don't care?

Again: people are just expressing their opinion here.
What's the point in community if people don't care. Again, if they don't care, why are they expressing their opinions?
Post edited May 25, 2017 by CRO_Revan
Guess this game is worthy for testing. My GOG galaxy has 2 times already crashed after i started downloading the game. I wonder what caused crashing!
Icinix: The discussion of what constitues DRM. Your discussion is the first time I've ever heard of Spyware being a criteria for DRM. Online requirement has to me and others always been a shifty way to have DRM without it being technically DRM.

Online only / F2P only. Does it have a place on GOG if it goes against the very things GOG was founded on.

Finally - if you like it - good for you. Again, you don't have a dog in this fight. You're happy, you're set. For those of us against the idea, even if GOG comes out now and says 'Galaxy optional, SP offline, one off purchase ofr SP' and we go YAY - it won't affect you at all. You'll still have the online , F2P portion, and GOG has held true to it's values.

So why would you enter debates with others to fight against that, when you're already happy, and this would make them happy.
CRO_Revan: DRM is everything, every single criteria that cannot be found on GOG. Origin ifself was known to be spyware, prying around other people programs outside of gaming range. Windows 10 reports outdated DRMs as spyware, etc... All singleplayer games trying to/must be online is DRM also. CD-Keys and random authentications with server also, etc... all fall into online criteria as you wrote yourself. But you actually didn't pay for the game in order to complain about the system, did you? GOG isn't forcing the game or forcing you to pay real money in order to actually play the game, nor is forcing you, as GOG user/customer, to be online while playing other games in your collection? So, why attacking DRM-free policy based on one game many of you don't even like?...

But I will stop. True enough. Everything you said stand. My bad. I like card games and Gwent is far better then any other card game out there. That is my subjective opinion. But, since I'm happy with the game, I don't have a dog in this fight, your words. I will take my leave now, starting to wonder why I even bothered in the first place... :)

But it got the better of me... sorry...

Maybe you don't have a dog in this fight because you cannot accept the future. This is gaming industry, either you adapt of go down in flames. You think big players like Valve, owner of Steam, of EA, cares about this little DRM-free revolution? What is GOG to them? A fly on a windshield. You thing that, what +40 000 Witcher 3 games sold on GOG.com paid for salaries and work CDPR had done? Try to respect someone's work before reacting against the whole thing/system. Don't like it, don't play it. There is a good amount of DRM-free-offline quality games and many more will come. One F2P game changes nothing. Don't like the game, nothing for you to see, move along. Whole bunch of you started attacking on topic about OPEN beta. And now I am the one black sheep giving opinions about gwent and DRM?

I think this whole topic should be deleted.

Cheers!

BTW - GOG.com is owned by CDPR, so naturally, they are releasing their game on their home-platform. Imagine what would happened if Gwent was released on Steam/Uplay/Origin only? Would that satisfy the GOG.com DRM-free policy or would you riot even more? Rhetorical questions. No answers needed. :)
You're amalgamating multiple points of the discussion and throwing in some kind of idea that people are disrepsecting the work of these people and a few other points that have nothing to do with anything we're talking about.

Now, I'm more than willing to go through your individual points, in fact I'd be glad too, but I think that maybe there is a a fundamental difference in the way you think vs the way majority of other people think here. So I don't know if it's possible to reconcile that level of difference.

You think this topic should be deleted because you don't have an issue with any level of restriction in your games.

So I'm thinking that maybe not only do you not have an issue with it, but you actually support it. Because that is the only reason why I can think you're still here arguing against anything that makes peoples gaming experiences easier, less intrusive and overall better.

Do you? Do you actually support practices that hinder the playability and enjoyment of others in a game?

Because if you don't - then why are you trying to shut down those who don't suport it?

Edit: And for the umpteenth time about this and similar for the last 15 years - I'm happy as long as the single player portion of a game has no online requirement to play the game, no software required outside of the OS to run it, no in game transactions to get the full experience.

The issue in this particular instance - is I cannot find a place where they've said the SP will be offline. The FAQ simply states, you need to be online. Is that just for the MP Beta - or the entire experience? If it's the latter - then GOG has a problem.
Post edited May 25, 2017 by Icinix
low rated
Denezan: Because we asked for it.
PaterAlf: When did that happen? I don't remember any surveys about that theme. Or at least a huge wishlist entry that said: "Please create an always-online multiplayer game with microtransactions!".
Are you really that stupid? Honestly.......if your going to complain about this being an online game, then you need to change genre's then because this game is like Hearthstone in that it is multiplayer game, it needs an internet connection to play against other people, and even if Hearthstopne has a single player component, it STILL requires an internet connection to play. Like many other games.
Denezan: Because we asked for it. Though I will admit I am not exactly keen on the micro transactions. Especially considering you can sometimes get rare cards that way, and tbh that feels a lot like pay to win of which I do not like one bit.
azuratidus: Really? Is that your opinion ?
Well, I myself participated in closed beta and I can tell you: You dont need to drop a dime just to have win few matches in Gwent. The rare card, well, if you play Gwent everyday, you would be able to create one rare card per day / one legendary card per 4 days. Their reward system, i think, encourage people developing new strategy. Besides, you forget RNG. You can have a top deck but it does not mean you will always win.
Honestly, I play Shadowverse, Hearthstone and now Gwent, i think creating new rare/legendary card in Gwent isnt as hard as HS and SV (in fact, it is freaking easy).
Yes it is my opinion. Of which I am entitled to it thank you very much.

I have also been playing in closed beta as well. I find that the "rewards" on a per match basis are far too small in regards to making new cards, and the 6 match, 12 match, 24 match thing was also a little too small in the reward department. You had to play for hours to get a small amount of required items (ore, scraps etc).
Post edited May 25, 2017 by Denezan
Icinix:
I come here to play, not to argue. But unfortunately, it got the better of me twice. :(

Reminder to myself - maybe stick to playing from now on?
From GOG Homepage :

DRM-free means no copy protection, on-line checks, or any other annoyances. It's all about just you and your games and movies. You should feel you own the products that you buy - just like a book, or a DVD.

On GOG.com, no matter if you are online or offline, you will never be locked away from your purchases.

Hi , my lvl was 18 and i had so many unlocked cards...and now , i only have some few unlocked cards with no lvl at all...everythings reset...i wanted to ask , is it normal? like it happened for all other players too?
Lobuno: Please people, do realize that when you click on PLAY GWENT at GOG's main page you will download "setup_gwent_1.2.9.5a_es-ES.exe" (or whatever the installer for you language is named) and by that file name you are actually downloading the latest version of Galaxy client installer (and ONLY the galaxy client installer, nothing else).

Once that Galaxy client is installed in your PC it will begin downloading and installing the actual GWENT game, which weights around 4.5GB (of course it requires an internet conection).

I hope you people are very happy and fully agree with the renaming of "setup_Galaxy_client_latest_version.exe" to "setup_gwent_1.2.9.5a_es-ES.exe" because somebody could find that a bit misleading.

Enjoy your GOG!!!!

PS. If it's not clear enough: You DO NEED an internet conection just for being able to run the game.
How come you get 4.5GB of GWENT data while the whole GWENT folder weights 2.63GB (while downloading it was 1.9GB)? Really maybe stop this misinformation and of course it's only online to stress out the servers and public test the important features of multiplayer.

FAQ clearly stated there is gonna be a Story Mode in Ver 1.0 so there is a chance to see a single player installer w/o INTERNET CONNECTION.
iRevolt: ... FAQ clearly stated there is gonna be a Story Mode in Ver 1.0 so there is a chance to see a single player installer w/o INTERNET CONNECTION.
That would be good, I am mostly interested in the single-player campaign :)