It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

MunkiSiren: *snip*
Lovely pictures my love :) can't wait to come out to the campsite tomorrow, really looking forward to seeing you <3
Likewize <3 I failed to crash earlier as Andrew gave me some port for my aching muscles, and it woke me up as well as relaxed me. I've eaten so much since I have gotten back to his house, and am finally about to fall asleep. This exercise thing seems to do me good :)

See you at 8am or so!
I'm not exactly sure how to start this post, other than to do so as honestly as I can to share a piece of a story of what it is like from my perspective in order to share a piece of my life and what it is like. I am writing in this manner in the hopes that it gives some perspective of the challenges and hopefully imparts some understanding to others, who may not have experienced life from this perspective, in the hope that compassion and understanding for others ensues. I will be okay, no matter what happens. My knowledge and survival instinct is strong enough now to continue, no matter the criticism and adversity for doing so.

Disclaimer: I am heavily intoxicated, which is my means of temporarily dealing with the continued shit of trying to be a "part of of this civilised society." If that irks you, skip to a more easily digestible thread :P

Brief history: I came from an upper middle-class upbringing, shitloads of money in the family (current estimates are AU$5+ million assets of my father's side and AU$2+ million on my mother's...so far 2 inheritances that I have a legal claim on have been unchallenged, regardless of testate, and I am okay with that and leaving them be) I am currently on the disability pension due to mental issues. Yay I came from money and learned a lot about the meaning of money and family, and yes this is a subjective opinion and I haven't done "anything" to earn this money and am fine with that.

Current situation: Thea and I put in an application for the shittiest house in this town(Oberon). It is a 2 bedroom, run-down cottage, on the edge of town. Our (welfare) income and rental history can easily cover it. I have been chatting to people in town, as is my way, trying to open leads for paid or volunteer employment, and have had many enjoyable conversations with the locals. The issue? Thea has 1 cat, I have 3 (she is looking at spending 2-3 days with her parents and dogs in Blackheath) and we are being stonewalled. Regardless of the real estate agent joking that "we are interested in this property" (read shithouse as it is rundown and we are willing to put in the time and money to improve it) and paint the place, make it home and get a lovely vegetable and herb garden and convince the owner's not to put down carpets and pay anything to improve the place, our chances are slim.

We both have an exemplary rental history. However when that comes to paper, there are issues. We have both rented "privately", i.e not going through real estates (which is a fucking pain in the arse in this country). I rented for 8 years with my ex in one place and that ended up getting close to going to court as the landlord blamed us for the house flooding. Yeah 300mm rain in 3 days with a 1 metre wide felled eucalypt with root structure intact, the real estate forging an inspection to cover their arses, and the landlord ended up settling. If the real estate contacts them? Well it is the same result that I have seen with any power structure - doctors, police, government, etc = regardless of us winning the case and getting a payout, we are frowned upon. If I was in the wrong, then why did the landlord pay out AU$1250 (we could have gotten AU$5-7k) in rent owed for loss of property usage? Thus is the way of those without money; take what you can get.

I want to address the claims of me being on disability (which is becoming a major media and governmental issue) to give my perspective. I worked my fucking arse off when I was younger. I studied and worked as hard as I could. I completed courses and worked in market research, public relations and communications for many years. When I collapsed living in Sydney and moved to the Blue Mountains, I continued to study and work as often as I could. I have had at least 10 employers since I have moved to the mountains, all of them labouring and gardening postitions. NONE of those credentials are recognised as every single employer wanted me to "work under the table", i.e meaning the costs to them due to insurance and liability and tax were higher if I was officially employed. So gunsyd, Momo and other critics, please explain to me how I was to maintain some paper trail of employment when the employer wouldn't note my employment due to buearocratical bullshit?

Yes I am being defensive, and yet I am continually under attack for "choosing" my way of life. I am writing this to say that this position has caused massive friction between myself and Thea, and that I am getting to the end of my tether. I am becoming very disillusioned with trying to fit into any place in society and am seeing my choice of going bush to be the most logical choice. I know bushcraft and survival skills very well, and started training them in 2007 when I foresaw legislation making things more difficult for people such as Thea and myself.

My solution? This upsets Thea very much so, but it looks like I might be camping out in the bush and saving every cent I get in order to provide a life for us in the future. I am currently paying rent and bills for a house that I do not live in, and if my cats are not welcome to stay there, then that means I will take them bush with me. That also means that I shall get my compound bow, razor hunting arrows (I am a vegetarian and pacifist), and set up in the bush until we can find a rental property or cheap piece of land. This is my last resort, but I have tried and will continue to try to provide a space for us to live. I have had friends who have "gone bush" before for 1+ years on end, and one thing that comes out is a protectiveness of space.

Friends who are employed and wealthy have bolstered my spirit with their support, and I am loathe to say this, but when I come under criticism as I have on these forums, my defences go up and I feel like saying "Come to my camp with that BS attitude and see how you fare in the wild." I hope that I find the peace that I am seeking and lose that defensive attitude.

I will only be replying to this thread and via PM until I find the balance I need to be a calmer and more loving human being.
Peace out, I'm off. 24 game codes
Tarnicus: Peace out, I'm off. 24 game codes
Hope you find the rest and calming in the wilderness - .im pretty sure you do
please share some of your moments with us and if time come by lets laugh again about strange humor late in the night at some GOG sale
Best wishes for your search of a new home!
Post edited March 13, 2015 by mcleodone
Credit to you for being open and honest. I hope the journey continues to have it's desired effect.
mcleodone: Hope you find the rest and calming in the wilderness - .im pretty sure you do
please share some of your moments with us and if time come by lets laugh again about strange humor late in the night at some GOG sale
Best wishes for your search of a new home!
pigdog: Credit to you for being open and honest. I hope the journey continues to have it's desired effect.

Apology and balancing post for the crap I came out with is here. I let stress get to me too much and unleashed is the short version.

I've got some photos, videos and stories to add to this thread when I can. My mood is pretty low right now as this looking for a new place to live thing is getting me down, as is continuing to smoke when I have a chronic chest and throat infection with palpitations and wheezing every night on my way to sleep. I am back at home briefly and the damp air and cold is a far cry from the warmth and dry air I experienced for the majority of the time in Oberon.

I need to contact the real estate agent tomorrow to see where our application is at. I'd rather be around loved ones to help balance out any negativity I feel from their reply. Jimi Hendrix nailed it with the line "manic depression is a frustrating mess."
I injured my dominant hand(left) sparring with this gorgeous being. I appear to have exacerbated an existing injury from hammering in tent pegs with a rock. Lesson: bring a hammer you Luddite! :P My hand has healed enough to type but I do not wish to risk further injuring by overdoing it with lifting, as I am prone to. So I'm heading out this morning to grab valuables from my tent that have been left unguarded for 3 days, and will resume camping when healed. and [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnica#Medicinal_uses]Arnica has hastened my healing :)

Full tent 1
Full tent 2

I have yet to sort my gear properly and set up a supply tent to separate my sleeping area from the rest of my crap.

The new plan is to spend 5 days per week in the bush and 2 days at home as my loved ones missed me dearly. My cat Behemoth went a bit feral in my absence. I'd say he was searching for me, as he has slept in my bed every night since my return.

Another series of lessons and adaptations to change provide some fruitful learning experiences. I was saddened to return to Blackheath to find out about the death of one of my favourite humorous and philosophical authors, Terry Pratchett. In honour of that wonderful man, to follow are some notes of "Wot I lerned" :P

In 2004 I started walking for TLC(truth, love and courage), inspired by life and Richard Garriott's Virtues and Principles in the Ultima series of games, which are based on Buddhist philosophy. The more I walk and talk (and be silent and listen), the more my understanding of these concepts and what they mean to me, continues to refine, define and change.

* Truth: this subjective concept, differs from "fact", and is a belief system. I must continue to 'walk my talk', to be accountable for the words and energies I send out to the world, and to learn from those experiences. I am slowly learning not to talk so much about what I will do, as that is merely a story in my head of what may be, and instead share stories of what I have done and learned, as I feel appropriate. I like to share, and do not believe that fundamental aspect of myself will change, no matter how many times I "lose the plot" or wish to withdraw completely from social contact.

* Love: is fundamental to my existence. Without feeling love, I do not see a purpose in life. With my recent depressive crash, returning home to see Thea and our cats and dogs was the best medicine I could have taken. I have often said that the sun's rays and the birds and other animals coming to visit is a version of love. I do not disagree with that concept, however I have come to realise that in order for me to be "human" and not unleash the beast within, I need to feel that love from a human. It balances me out, keeps me in check and provides an invaluable mirror on my words and actions. The love I receive from members on these forums is beautiful but I need to feel it physically, face to face in the same physical space. The greeting from all members of the house I live in really helped to balance me back towards a more saner version of myself. I also need to give love. Seeing a smile or purr or tail wagging, and knowing that I helped to create that experience is priceless to me.

* Courage: is the one I struggle with most of all. To me, courage is the ability to "walk the talk", to have faith in one's Truths, regardless of adversity and criticism. It is the ability to listen to what is being said within and to follow that voice, no matter where it leads or whatever the consequences may be. Courage, to me, is also the ability to show Love, openly and honestly without fear of doing so.

So back to camping and bush stories eh? In my short time camping, I've learned a few more things. I have yet to find a natural water source nearby, and have always been adept at looking at land formations and finding water. The undulations give a hint as to where water flows or has flowed. I do not know the land around Oberon well and my friend Andrew taught me a vital piece of information. Willow trees(Genus: Salix) are an invasive species that infest waterways. Here is a photo of a waterway on my walk to town.

Photo: walk to town.

I've become acquainted with many new friends in the bush, some of whom have the propensity to be not so friendly. I learned a long time ago not to camp directly under trees, especially near the root system if they are showing, as they are often home to ants and spiders, both of whom do not appreciate their living space being invaded. So I set up in a gully, covered in grass, safe from . Lo and behold I seem to have set up camp in an area infested with [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapdoor_spider]Trapdoor spiders! I have found 7 burrows thus far, which prompted me to undertake a complete shakedown of everything in my tent.

Trapdoor burrow
Trapdoor burrow close-up

There are also mosquitoes trying to inflame my already overloaded immune system. I have mosquito coils(citronella) to ward them off but prefer the old school method of a fire. I have yet to find any Banksia sp. which are great to burn to keep them away. Any smoke containing a strong essential oil such as Eucalyptus sp. works fairly well, which leads me to one of my favourite past-times: camp cooking and fire! :P

I love building fires (safely), so much so that I took photos of my little fire space and cooking endeavours from start to finish:

Photo 1:Clear a space

Photo 2: Dave dug a hole! (and was dismayed to find rocky clay soil that prevented a decent hole from being excavated due to injury and lack of tools)

Photo 3: Fires are artwork. Ensure fire has appropriate flammable tinder (dried eucalyptus leaves) and airflow.

Photo 4: Fuego! This fire was blazing in seconds.

Photo 5: Coconut oil is highly flammable! This is the first time I have attempted to cook on a fire with coconut oil. My frying pan burst into flames! Attempting to record the event and put the blaze out was like juggling.

Photo 6: Bon App&eacute;tit! Fried eggs with turmeric, cumin, coriander and chilli.

Photo 7: Meal complete! Add alfalfa and onion sprouts, grated carrot and garlic, wrapped in a tortilla. Delicious, nutritious fuel :)

Photo 8: Aftermath

Noct Fuego!

Fire video Great meditation on loop :)

Piggie I fed and mentioned in previous post.

From the window of my room (view from tent)

I've got a video of myself chatting to crows(with a sore throat), who are very interested in my camping endeavours, however the video appears to be corrupted and not working. I should get that video up later today :)
Post edited March 17, 2015 by Tarnicus
Shmacky-McNuts: You should get a rush order out to any place that can supply you with a Life Straw or similar product. That can basically allow you to drink dirty water; filtering it of course making it clean. Or some other water filter.

*snip*
I finally got around to doing some more research on the Life Straw product, and will say that I am not impressed. Boiling water offers a far safer means of drinking water as it will kill the majority of water borne viruses. The life straw is merely a physical filter.

Thea and I were successful in our application for a new home and I moved into the house in Oberon yesterday. Missing the cats and Thea but it is only temporary. I will be heading out to my camp site tomorrow to hopefully find it undisturbed once again :)

PS - here's another post for the few people getting their jollies from eroding my rep since the Insomnia sale :P
Shmacky-McNuts: You should get a rush order out to any place that can supply you with a Life Straw or similar product. That can basically allow you to drink dirty water; filtering it of course making it clean. Or some other water filter.

*snip*
Tarnicus: I finally got around to doing some more research on the Life Straw product, and will say that I am not impressed. Boiling water offers a far safer means of drinking water as it will kill the majority of water borne viruses. The life straw is merely a physical filter.

Thea and I were successful in our application for a new home and I moved into the house in Oberon yesterday. Missing the cats and Thea but it is only temporary. I will be heading out to my camp site tomorrow to hopefully find it undisturbed once again :)

PS - here's another post for the few people getting their jollies from eroding my rep since the Insomnia sale :P
There is a similar product....cannot recall the name and it has a much smaller filter with relative speed. In any event, boiling is best yes. But these filters are meant for disasters and getting caught in the woods with nothing more than a stream or a puddle. Cheers =D
Tarnicus: I finally got around to doing some more research on the Life Straw product, and will say that I am not impressed. Boiling water offers a far safer means of drinking water as it will kill the majority of water borne viruses. The life straw is merely a physical filter.
The SteriPen is awesome. UV light kills everything including viruses. Recommended.

As a very cheap alternative, I personally use Potable Aqua, which are just iodine pills, with additional pills that get rid of the taste. Iodine pills alone taste horrible and i still have bad memories of using them in the early 90s. But the neutralizer makes this incredibly practical due to weight. All my climbing friends are now fully converted. I stopped carrying my MSR pump filter several years ago.

*snip*

Congrats on the new home!
Hope you put in one of those little shovels they sell all at Kathmando or Paddy Pallin for your toiletry kit.

All the best for your trip.

Regards Markl