It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

As the year comes to an end, we're at a point where we thought it would be fun to look back and celebrate one of the best years in the history of GOG.COM yet!

First, it wouldn't be possible without the continuous support we get from all of you, for which we're deeply grateful and want to thank you! Your messages, forum comments, and support tickets keep us in check, motivate us to improve, and continue to inspire us to find new solutions for your everyday gaming problems. GOG users - you're THE BEST!

This year was full of exciting events on GOG.COM, from announcing and starting the open beta of the GOG GALAXY 2.0 application that gets all your games and friends in one place, launching pre-orders for Cyberpunk 2077, to releasing exciting new and classic games.

Let's take a closer look at some of our favorite moments of the year!

Good Old Games
Without a doubt, we can say that 2019 was the year of good old games that returned DRM-free on GOG.COM. Our personal dreams came true as we managed to bring back games like the original Diablo with its Hellfire expansion, Warcraft I & II, and Blade Runner. Literal years of work came into fruition with these releases but also helped remind ourselves that nothing is impossible if we keep working hard and believing in it. We raised the bar for preserving classic games and we want to keep it at that level (and beyond) in 2020.

We also released quite a few less known or long-forgotten classic titles, like the futuristic strategy games MissionForce: CyberStorm and Submarine Titans, the original Warlords trilogy, the long-lost Warhammer 40,000: Fire Warrior, comic-like shooter XIII, the action-packed John Woo's Stranglehold, the recent batch of games published by Piko Interactive, and many more.

With all these releases, we have now fulfilled over 2 million votes cast on the Community Wishlist, which we celebrated back in August during Gamescom. We were present there to talk with business partners and media and meet with gamers visiting our Retro Area booth. We also made this cool video, you can check out below.

New game releases
We continue to expand the number of games available on GOG.COM, not only with classics but also with the newest AAA and indie titles that bring in fresh ideas, entertaining gameplay, and amazingly beautiful visuals.

You showed your love with Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 pre-orders and now we all wait in excitement for its debut next year. Among the big titles that were released in 2019, games like Age of Wonders: Planetfall, Darksiders Genesis, The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut, and Ashen were also welcomed in by you, as well. One of the biggest releases this year on GOG.COM was the thought-provoking and award-winning role-playing indie game Disco Elysium, followed by other super popular indie releases like Foundation, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York, and a whole bunch of retro-inspired shooters with Blood: Fresh Supply, AMID EVIL, and Ion Fury to name just a few.

We also continued to update our catalog in 2019 with games like BioShock: Infinite, Spec Ops: The Line, Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden, DUSK, Outward, Venetica, and many others. We do want to mention and send a special thank you to Focus Home Interactive who decided to take a leap of faith in going DRM-free. They released quite a few well-received games that included older titles like Bound by Flame and Mars: War Logs and more recent hits like Vampyr, The Surge, A Plague Tale: Innocence, and just recently GreedFall. Expect to see and play more of their games next year!

Based on your feedback, we're also continuously monitoring and reevaluating games that underwent our curation system and were initially rejected from releasing on GOG.COM. Thanks to your input, we were able to rediscover and add such unique games like the wonderful Heaven's Vault, the challenging Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar, the magical Din's Legacy, and others.

Cyberpunk 2077 pre-orders
Back in June, we celebrated the biggest Summer Sale in the history of GOG.COM. It was held at the same time as our friends from CD PROJEKT RED launched pre-orders for their highly-anticipated new game, Cyberpunk 2077. This is a very unique product for us - a huge title releasing DRM-free and with a set of additional digital goodies just for GOG users.

By pre-ordering this game on GOG.COM, you can also be sure that 100% of your money goes to CD PROJEKT GROUP, which both we and the studio are part of. We're very grateful to everyone who trusted us with their pre-orders, making our platform one of the most popular places to get the game!

GOG GALAXY 2.0
After more than 2 years of keeping it secret and developing behind closed doors, we’ve finally revealed to you and the world the next big thing for our own client. With GOG GALAXY 2.0, we wanted to make an application that is bigger than the client you know and use it (only if you want!) to manage, update, and play your GOG.COM games.

The fact that our games and friends are scattered between multiple dedicated clients and launchers is becoming increasingly annoying. We believe gamers deserve a better experience. With GOG GALAXY 2.0 we want to conveniently show you all your games as one library and make it easier than ever to stay in touch with your friends across PC and console platforms. We’re amazed and thankful for the reception of the app – thank you for all your comments, reports, and ideas that keep us going and help make the experience even better.

Of course, we haven’t forgotten about GOG.COM – GOG GALAXY 2.0 remains your optional client with features you know like auto-updates, cloud saves, cross-play, rollbacks and more. On top of that, the whole client has been rebuilt from the ground up to be better and faster. All features for third-party platforms work for GOG.COM – the new games library allows you to filter, sort and add tags to customize your views and save them for easy access. Thanks to the new friends section, you can even track your friends’ progress in every GOG.COM game, as well as see what they are currently playing.

If you are interested, you can join the open beta now and test all the features for yourself.

What's next?
For now, let's remember and celebrate this amazing year. There's also still some time left to grab thousands of deals during our Winter Sale. Once it ends on January 2nd, you can be sure we'll already be hard at work to bring you more cool games, provide the best solutions to your everyday gaming problems, and surprise you with completely new ideas.

Thank you very much for being with us this year and we'll do our best to make you proud in 2020! :)

Let us know in the comments which game is your favorite release of 2019. Did you try the open beta of the GOG GALAXY 2.0 application? What are your hopes, dreams, and resolutions for the new year?
Post edited December 27, 2019 by emter_pl
Much love, GOG!

Now, if you could only snag those rights to the old Legend Entertainment adventure games. (Death Gate, Shannara, Xanth, etc)

:)
GOG.com: Let us know in the comments which game is your favorite release of 2019.
In terms of a game I was actually waiting for, I'd have to go with Venetica. And with that being an older but not classic release, in terms of true classics it's between the Warlords series and Hexplore, and will go with Warlords 3 as the one I'd actually be interested in playing, since I already played 2 (a bit, but anyway) and Hexplore (to the end) and won't care to do so again. Don't really get excited about actual new releases, so leaving that category aside.
GOG.com: Did you try the open beta of the GOG GALAXY 2.0 application?
Hell no, and won't touch the thing, and darn bothered that it exists, due to it taking away resources which you could otherwise put elsewhere and offering devs a way to say they do offer features and updates on time to GOG users even though they actually don't offer them to those users who're here for the strictly offline, clientless part.
GOG.com: What are your hopes, dreams, and resolutions for the new year?
Well, first hope is that the current issues with my Internet access will be solved in a suitable fashion these days...
Otherwise, still personally, official time under 1:45 at the half marathon in May, no longer only getting such times on practice runs under better conditions through the park, and under 4:00 at the marathon in October, which will be one hell of an ask, but one can hope. Then probably new computer, and maaaaaaybe dabbling a bit more into Linux again at that time, to still stay well away from any Windows past 7.
As for gaming resolutions, the usual, finish 5 games...

And in terms of GOG, no hopes, those just lead to bitter disappointment from 2014 onwards. Dreams, on the other hand, sure, same ones I've had since then, a GOG that returns to its values from before that point, miraculously decides to ban regional pricing once again, or at least ban anything except discounts for poorer countries (not that there's any way to make that fair either), stops pushing Galaxy, reallocates more resources on the offline installers and ensuring that all updates and features are available without Galaxy, once again focuses even more on old titles still missing (which isn't to say that this wasn't a pretty good year for classic releases), both to obtain the rights and to ensure that they work, definitely maintains full Windows 7 support and also 32-bit where at all possible, increases Linux support, and removes Gwent from catalog.
Hopefully even more good old games coming on 2020! Happy new year everyone!
high rated
Great year, full of surprising releases. I'm genuinly impressed with so plenty of classics released. For me personally, the biggest releases were Warlords 1-3 series and Missionforce; Cyberstorm (I already owned retail version of Cyberstorm 1, but nevertheless I'm extremely happy that it's now in GOG's offer).

Also, late but huge thanks for all WH40k games released in previous year (as well as all DLCs to Gladius) - I'm extremelly happy that so much of games from this universe are present on GOG.

Only bitter taste after this year was left by the lack of Wargroove's release (but it was rather Chucklefish' fault, so I'm not blaming GOG for this one) and not releasing Warbanners (however for the last one I'm still optimist and I'm having hope for 2020 release).

I'm really glad that GOG still fights and tries in terms of all 3 "categories" of games (classics, indie games and "big games"), it's really good that there is life outside of Steam

What about next year? Really hard to tell. Partially because GOG still surprises (which is good).

I personally have hope that GOG "in silence" is fighting for another classics which will impress us in next year. But other than that - it will be probably next part of never ending fight to stay alive, be as relevant as possible and have releases of all 3 "types" of games - "big and new" titles, classics and indie games. And I'm wishing to GOG to keep this fight as long as possible.

And while normally I don't care too much about Galaxy (as long as it's purely optional), I must admit that after adding "remote play" on steam (for those who don't know - it allows to play together via internet in games which have local multiplayer/only local multiplayer) I became a bit jealous and have hope, that Galaxy will also have similar feature in the future.

Good luck GOG and thanks a lot for great 2019 year.
Warlords 1 + 2 was definitely my favorite release of 2019! Thank you and best wishes in the coming year!
That was a very nice summary! :) I can't pick just one favorite release of 2019. The games I knew about and was hoping for were Superhero League of Hoboken, The Dream Machine, the Brothers in Arms games, The Escapists 2, Train Valley 1 + 2, Venetica, Hitman: Blood Money + Absolution, BioShock: Infinite, Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, Ashen, Chasm, DreadOut, Killer is Dead: Nightmare Edition, Red Faction: Armageddon, Stranglehold, Kero Blaster, Epic, and Hexplore.
The new games and ones I didn't know but turned out to be pleasant surprises were Terminator: Resistance, Decay of Logos, A Plague Tale: Innocence, Indivisible, Helium Rain, Regions of Ruin, Katana ZERO, Door Kickers: Action Squad, and Galaxy Squad.
As for next year, I will be hoping for Microsoft's titles like Age of Empires 2, Fable, Halo, State of Decay, and Freelancer, the return of the dormant big publishers' like EA, Square Enix, Bethesda, and Ubisoft, and for major Japanese publishers to finally start releasing games here.
Edit: added a few more titles. :)
Post edited December 28, 2019 by SCPM
high rated
I honestly didn't think anything would top the WarCraft II release in terms of a nostalgia gut-punch, but then you went and released not just Warlords 2+3, but freaking SUBMARINE TITANS???? I'm still kinda floored by that one, I won't lie.

And then on top of that, my favourite publisher of recent years, Focus Home goes all-in on GOG? That's just... amazing. AND BLOODLINES 2? That's a thing, and it's already on my GOG shelf, and...Holy crap, BLOODLINES 2 IS HAPPENING, AND IT'S ON GOG!

ahem. But I digress. From where i'm standing, you guys did a fantastic job this year, getting a lot of big "smaller" games, and a ton of AA stuff like Ashen, Pine and Decay of Logos. One such release that didn't come here was Eternity: the Last Unicorn, which is odd, since the same publisher (1C) later released Devil's Hunt here.

Anyway. For my wishes for next year, I really hope most games that are currently exclusive to Epic end up here. We know Sinking City and Close to the Sun are coming, but I also want Control, Operencia, the Outer Wilds, and (if possible) Outer Worlds as well. Also I really hope Big Ben release their Werewolf RPG here to go along with Bloodlines 2. Speaking of big upcoming releases- Dying Light 2. Please make it happen here, so that I have all my Techland games in a single, DRM-free place.

In terms of publishers' back catalogues- I hope we see more earlier Focus titles, as well as more stuff from 1C. XCOM 2 feels like a no-brainer at some point, but I'm not holding my breath for Rockstar's games (including Max Payne) since Rockstar got their on launcher this year. But so did Bethesda, and that was pretty much a disaster- so here's hoping we see Dishonored, Prey, Evil Within and Rage franchises here soon- all single-player games that would be a great DRM-free fit here.
It would be really nice to get a big Japanese publisher more involved here, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't happen. Bandai Namco did publish a lot of quirky Western games (especially horror), so maybe? From either them or Capcom, I'd love to see games like Enslaved and Remember Me here and I'm re-buy them in a heartbeat.

Also, don't break your ties with THQ Nordic/Embracer/Deep Silver- I still want Biomutant, but hopefully stuff like Destroy All Humans remake doesn't skip GOG, the way the Monkey King game did. Whenever we get a new Darksiders game, I want it here too (oh, and PLEEAAASE add achievement to Darksiders I and II the way you did to the old Metro games!!!)

Lastly, old games. My hopes and dreams still rest with you to bring Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain out of its legal rights limbo. And only your compatibility techno-wizards can convince Ubisoft to re-release Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow digitally (and while you're speaking to Ubi, how about grabbing Warlords IV? Not like they are doing anything with that game.

Aside from those 2, I'm sure you'll continue to surprise and amaze us. My wallet is not ready, but it'll have to suck it up. I'm still getting Surge 2 once it comes here. Oh, and Cyberpunk, obviously. Bring on 2020!
Post edited December 28, 2019 by kud13
Agreed, the retrospect was really well done and made for an interesting read - so much has happened this past year! :)

Hmm, favorite release... Well, not an actual release, but pre-orders started for Cyberpunk 2077 so I'd say that was the most exciting one! :D Honorable mentions that come to mind would be getting Diablo, Bioshock: Infinite and Trine 4, to name a few. :)

I'll also remember the past year by receiving an early invitation to the GOG Galaxy 2.0 Closed Beta! :D I've immediately sent feedback and have been keeping an eye on it ever since, reporting issues I come across or submitting suggestions I may have. I use it daily and I can only see it getting better with all the feedback the community has been providing. Even then, I believe that it will be a work in progress and will adapt to suit the needs of the users and promote GOG as a platform.

I'm proud to be a part of the journey GOG has taken us on and have been ever since I learned of it and joined its ranks as an avid user - today as I was back then. Thank you, GOG - the best is yet to come!!! :)
Anime-BlackWolf: - Angry Video Game Nerd Games 1+2 please?
- the missing "Alone in the Dark" titles (now THQ Nordic!) please?
Yes and yes please!
Pyromancer138: Angry Video Game Nerd Games 1+2.
I would have never thought I'd own his movie on GOG but none of the games!
huan: Not THAT interesting, at least for me. Soldak's new titles are usually just slight upgrades to the existing formula, for a full price. I don't think curation is a good idea in general, but if it's here to stay, low effort unoriginal games are the most acceptable (for me) to not pass the filter. If I could sacrifice Din's legacy for, for example, Anima: Gate of Memories - The Nameless Chronicles (which was also rejected as far as I know, despite being continuation of a game that is already being sold here. Game that actually has some story and large part of the story is now unavailable to us, unless I go to the steamy competition), I would.
dgnfly: I don't know if you've noticed but all video games are copy-paste these days and all they differ from these days is graphics the gameplay is still all the same. I just think the more choice the better but some seem to want to limit choice simply cause their to lame to do the research before they buy a certain game and need to be told what games are good and when they find out it's mediocre they just give it one star and act like they were betrayed and throw a hissy fit.

Death stranding was for instance hailed as something great. while if you pick apart everything you're just stuck with a game where you get the most basic gameplay in gaming history which is, get from point A to point B and do pretty much nothing else but chose a route.
This is not entirly correct.
One of the reasons i want curation is because low effort games or assert flips bogs down the shop list.
Before steam got a filtering addition it was not fun at all to navigate their store.
Its not perfect yet so it still irks me when a asset flip or extremly low effort game appear on new game arrivails on steam.
So i prefer curotion over free for all.
low rated
GOG.com: GOG GALAXY 2.0

The fact that our games and friends are scattered between multiple dedicated clients and launchers is becoming increasingly annoying.
Just a small bit of constructive criticism: That's not nearly as annoying as developers habitually removing multiplayer and mod support from their gog versions. Only recently did a Postal dev remark in the subforum that in order for Postal Redux to be released here, they'd have to remove the multiplayer mode first. Whut?! Maybe gog should try to encourage them to implement Galaxy cross-play support instead. After all, that was kind of the whole point of Galaxy. Same goes for mod support. Galaxy really needs some workshop-like feature.And these features need to become the norm rather than the exception in order for Galaxy to become viable in the long run.
Post edited December 28, 2019 by fronzelneekburm
THANKS GUYS!

You brought my childhood back, this time without the glitches :)
Nice summary. This year indeed you brought some amazing releases that I wouldn't have thought possible. Stranglehold, Bladerunner and of course the Blizzard classics. Wow. This gives me a lot of hope that more of those Good Old Games that are either not here (like the missing Cinemaware titles and Heretic/Hexen), or have no digital re-release (TimeQuest, NOLF) are possible some day.

As for Galaxy 2 - it's probably not as important to me since I don't use those other launchers at all - but it's really nice that I can now start my Half-Life (disk version) through it :-)
high rated
GOG.com: Let us know in the comments which game is your favorite release of 2019.
Diablo. But this year was rich in good releases.
GOG.com: Did you try the open beta of the GOG GALAXY 2.0 application?
No, and all these launchers are not interesting to me at all. One of the reasons why I prefer GOG is the lack of the need to use a launcher.
Well, it should be noted: firstly, if I wanted a launcher, I would prefer something well optimized and written from scratch, rather than another assembly based on Electron (gosh, one more unterbrowser). And secondly (and this is important!), I would prefer that the service move developers more towards serverindependent and storeindependents solutions: like LAN and Direct Connect Multiplayer modes. It would be beneficial for both developers (less effort to adapt the game to different stores, cross-store multiplayer with no additional efforts) and players (cross-store multiplayer).
GOG.com: What are your hopes, dreams, and resolutions for the new year?
More Blizzard: Diablo 2, Warcraft 3. Starcraft (now it does not look impossible).
A little bit of Microsoft: Freelancer, Age of Empires series, Forza series, Fable series, Halo series, Mechwarrior series, Sunset Overdrive, Shadowrun, Control.
Awakening of "sleeping" studios:
EA: STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order, Mass Effect series, Dead Space 2, WARP, NFS series, Crysis 2, more Dragon Age.
WB: more MK (at least Komplete Edition), Middle-earth: Shadow of... , Batman: Arkham series, Injustice, FEAR 3, more Lego games.
Ubisoft: more Far Cry, more Assassin' Creed, more Splinter Cell, old Prince of Persia, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.
Bethesda: Dishonored, Hunted: Demon's Forge, Skyrim, Commander Keen, Hexen+Heretic and so on. Anything.
Rockstar: GTA 1-3 (at least), Max Payne series.

Activity of Japanese greedy crooks:
Square Enix: more Deus Ex, more Tomb Raider, Just Cause series, Sleeping Dogs, Dungeon Siege series.
Capcom: Resident Evil 1-3, Devil May Cry series, Street Fighter series, Dead Rising series, Lost Planet series.
Konami: Metal Gear Solid games, Silent Hill series, Castlevania series, Contra series.

Well, in general: more racing games with real cars (now it’s really bad with this here). Test Drive Unlimited, aforementioned Forza and NFS, Project CARS, GRID, F1, Street Legal 1-2.
It was a magnificent year for GOG. Happy new year to all.