It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

lagncheese: I mean... There is some nostalgic charm about old languages ...

Anyway, I think that your contribution is admirable, because it solves real problems and helps people today.
Timboli: Thanks.

Don't be fooled into thinking that AutoIt is an old Basic language. It is not really a Basic language at all, but does share some similarities. While it has been around a while now, it is still maintained and works fine on Windows 10 and will no doubt still do so on Windows 11 and beyond.

AutoIt started out as a powerful scripting language for computer roll outs etc, and while still very relevant and powerful in that sphere, it has also expanded into other areas. If you are an IT person, and you don't have AutoIt in your toolbox, then you are not really a full professional ... because at times, it is handy like no other language is. That's not to say it is the best or the most powerful etc out there or fastest, it isn't, but what it does do it is very good at.

As for me using other languages, I never will now, and certainly not Python.
AutoIt and I just click, and it has made me very productive.
I put VB 6 aside back when VB.Net was coming on the scene, and concentrated on using AutoIt instead, because its logic and sensibilities meshed with mine, like no other language I have tried, and I look at others now and then. I don't really consider myself a programming nerd, because I don't think like they do, and don't fare well in that environment, and the beauty of AutoIt, is you don't need to be, as it is very approachable for non nerds.

I consider the author of AutoIt, Jon, to be a genius. Many in the nerd arena, don't actually understand or appreciate what he achieved, which is kind of understandable really, but also sad. He has empowered a lot of people though.

https://www.autoitscript.com/site/

P.S. Nothing beats AutoIt for development speed, though its certainly not the tool for every job.
With all respect to your dedication and the things AutoIt bring to the table.

I must say that niche languages (especially not object oriented) can work well when you are the only developer or in a small "sophisticated" team.

But things WILL get really really ugly, really really fast when you:
x start working with other people
x target more than one platform
x do stable/long term project
x or just simply try to decompose things
x e.t.c.
Post edited January 07, 2022 by lagncheese
The fact of that matter, is you use the right tool for the job.

AutoIt is great at a bunch of things, especially quick development of something within its scope. It is better than any other language with some of those.

However, if you are going to get into sophisticated powerful programming, then AutoIt is not the right tool, as it doesn't run fast enough and isn't powerful enough, etc.

AutoIt is still very relevant in this current era though, providing you use it wisely.

I'm not sure if they still do, but even just a few years ago, Microsoft used AutoIt with some of their rollouts. So its benefits are certainly recognized by some.
GOGcli GUI has been updated to v2.5.

DOWNLOAD - https://github.com/Twombs/GOGcli-GUI/releases/tag/v2.5

INFO - https://github.com/Twombs/GOGcli-GUI

NOTE - The download page link, has a lengthy description of the update and many images.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've spent the greater part of today/tonight finishing the DOWNLOAD ALL process, and especially spending time tweaking, fine tuning and troubleshooting. Hopefully I have covered everything, as there were a few tricky things.

Enjoy!

P.S. It would be good to get some feedback with a bit of detail, as I did not have the time nor will to check absolutely everything. I wasn't about to re-download my many games to do a complete check. So I mostly covered the basics with my testing and mainly just downloaded Extras for each game that downloaded ... which saved me time and storage space, and quicker when repeating.
Timboli: P.S. It would be good to get some feedback with a bit of detail, as I did not have the time nor will to check absolutely everything. I wasn't about to re-download my many games to do a complete check. So I mostly covered the basics with my testing and mainly just downloaded Extras for each game that downloaded ... which saved me time and storage space, and quicker when repeating.
Thank you for the all the time/effort you've spent on this project!

I've been slowly working on backing up my collection these last few months, which has been made much easier with this program, and just updated to your latest 2.5 build.

I don't know if it's intended or not, but I'm unable to minimize the main game selection window in this new version once the sub window opens.

In the previous 2 versions I tried, I was able to minimize both windows once the downloading started. This was preferred for me as I only use one screen and like to do other things with my computer while the downloading occurs.

Thanks again.
Post edited January 08, 2022 by Crimson_T
Crimson_T: Thank you for the all the time/effort you've spent on this project!
My pleasure. :)

Crimson_T: I don't know if it's intended or not, but I'm unable to minimize the main game selection window in this new version once the sub window opens.
Not so much intended, just not catered for it. That said, I don't recommend doing other things on your PC while the process is running. Chiefly because the programming language I used is not multi-thread aware, and issues might arise. That said, they might not either.

Crimson_T: In the previous 2 versions I tried, I was able to minimize both windows once the downloading started. This was preferred for me as I only use one screen and like to do other things with my computer while the downloading occurs.
I haven't really changed anything, just that the 'Game Files Selector' window now opens multiple times instead of just the once. The DOS-like console window however is still minimized in accordance with settings though.

I have been meaning to think more about it, and perhaps give an added minimize ability, and make things a little less clunky. I have just finished and uploaded an update, before I read your post, so maybe next update.

P.S. Just noticed you posted 4 days ago, but I never received a notification for some odd reason. LOL ... now it is saying 5 days.
Post edited January 13, 2022 by Timboli
GOGcli GUI has been updated to v2.6.

Update features improvements & new options.

DOWNLOAD - https://github.com/Twombs/GOGcli-GUI/releases/tag/v2.6

NOTE - The linked download page, has a longer description of the update and a few images.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I have been contemplating doing an UPDATE ALL option, hence some of the new features. Just now though, the complexity level has put me off ... especially so soon after completing the major DOWNLOAD ALL option. Basically my thinking though, is that it downloads files for those games indicated as being updated. For that to be automatic though, it would need to know what files you already have downloaded for a game, which is likely not a very straight-forward determination in a lot of or some cases. But we will see.
Timboli: P.S. It would be good to get some feedback with a bit of detail, as I did not have the time nor will to check absolutely everything. I wasn't about to re-download my many games to do a complete check. So I mostly covered the basics with my testing and mainly just downloaded Extras for each game that downloaded ... which saved me time and storage space, and quicker when repeating.
Hello, thanks for providing and improving such an extensive and usable GUI.

1) Download All - Issue: When using Download All function, even with latest release and new folder for unpacked cli and gui, AutoIT error pops up after first download (first game of the library):
Line 25177 (File "path to GUI.exe")
Error: Array variable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded.

Regular, manual game addition to manifest and downloading seems to be working fine.

My guess is I'm missing some file, or some (not to me) obvious step was not performed. I can provide more detailed steps if you need it.

2) Download All - Feedback: When downloading a couple of games, "Game Selector Screen" window, after selecting one of the option-boxes, shows the total size of files to be downloaded in MB, GB.

Does this option already exist with Download All function? Can you point me to the part of the program, where information of total library size is?
"Display List" button under Download All opens in-program window, which contains columns not related to size, and GSC doesn't pop up when using Download All.

If the option doesn't exist, can it be incorporated - as in, new entry under Download ALL function "Check Library Size", or at least a new column in "Display List", which can be the copied and calculated in other software of choice? I would like option to exist for backup purposes, since I never know how much space would my library occupy.
Post edited January 13, 2022 by McFirson
McFirson: Hello, thanks for providing and improving such an extensive and usable GUI.
My pleasure and thanks for the feedback. :)

McFirson: 1) Download All - Issue: When using Download All function, even with latest release and new folder for unpacked cli and gui, AutoIT error pops up after first download (first game of the library):
Line 25177 (File "path to GUI.exe")
Error: Array variable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded.
Not sure what is going on as I have done many downloads now with this, with plenty of starts. I'll have to look into it, and unfortunately Line Numbers with a compiled script, don't help me narrow it down, due to include files increasing the line count, and they get inserted into the script early on. If I can get the error to occur with an un-compiled script, then I will get the correct Line Number.

McFirson: Regular, manual game addition to manifest and downloading seems to be working fine.
It is mostly the same code, in fact I copied it from that code, but I likely had to modify it a bit ... therein may be where the issue lies.

McFirson: My guess is I'm missing some file, or some (not to me) obvious step was not performed. I can provide more detailed steps if you need it.
Seems unlikely at this point.
Providing your steps could help, thanks. Though in all truth, I probably need to do a clean install in another temporary folder myself. The fact you seem to be able to download all the first game files, indicates something unusual I think.

McFirson: 2) Download All - Feedback: When downloading a couple of games, "Game Selector Screen" window, after selecting one of the option-boxes, shows the total size of files to be downloaded in MB, GB.

Does this option already exist with Download All function? Can you point me to the part of the program, where information of total library size is?
That size is just for the current game, and alas as far as I know, gogcli.exe does not retrieve your total library size from GOG. I don't think GOG even provide such ... would be good if they did.

McFirson: "Display List" button under Download All opens in-program window, which contains columns not related to size, and GSC doesn't pop up when using Download All.
Nothing on the main program window and very little on the 'Game Files Selector' window is usable once the DOWNLOAD ALL or any download process has started. This is deliberate and very tricky to be otherwise, as a lot more to think about, that might cause issue(s). Most of the viewing options that show columns are after the fact, and dealing with results. I haven't yet devised one for the main manifest, and may not, as that would be quite complex.

McFirson: If the option doesn't exist, can it be incorporated - as in, new entry under Download ALL function "Check Library Size", or at least a new column in "Display List", which can be the copied and calculated in other software of choice? I would like option to exist for backup purposes, since I never know how much space would my library occupy.
Not something that is easy to incorporate, not in a timely fashion. First it would require all manifest entries to be downloaded first, which is contrary to how I want my GUI to work, which is on-the-fly with manifests. Another downloader called gogrepo.py enforces downloading your complete manifest first, which can take hours, something I've never liked about it ... good program though, if you don't mind using Python and waiting for the manifests.

I just got caught up in doing another update, which I didn't really intend to do so soon, and ended up getting carried away with it. i really need a break to focus on other things, so it may take a day or three to resolve this issue. I may have a quick look tomorrow though, in case something triggers my mind.

Once again, thanks for the feedback, and sorry it is causing some issues for you.
Post edited January 13, 2022 by Timboli
GOGcli GUI has been updated to v2.7.

Update features bugfixes, improvements & new options.

DOWNLOAD - https://github.com/Twombs/GOGcli-GUI/releases/tag/v2.7

NOTE - The linked download page, has a longer description of the update and a few images.
Timboli: GOGcli GUI has been updated to v2.7.

Update features bugfixes, improvements & new options.

I have been meaning to think more about it, and perhaps give an added minimize ability, and make things a little less clunky. I have just finished and uploaded an update, before I read your post, so maybe next update.
Thank you for updating the minimization of the main window on this release. Just tried a few more downloads and it works great! Now I can use my computer for reading in between downloads again with no issue :)

P.S. Just noticed you posted 4 days ago, but I never received a notification for some odd reason. LOL ... now it is saying 5 days.
Yeah ....I've seen that a few times now where the GOG forum doesn't seem to notice I've commented on something. If that happens, it also won't push the topic to the top of the list in the forum. I think it may occur if I edit a post too quickly. (i.e. noticed a quick typo immediately after posting that I fix in under a minute).
Post edited January 14, 2022 by Crimson_T
Crimson_T: Thank you for updating the minimization of the main window on this release. Just tried a few more downloads and it works great! Now I can use my computer for reading in between downloads again with no issue :)
Excellent & Thanks.
I am guessing you were not a first time user with my program, as I appear to have discovered (and fixed) a flaw that impacted those folks when it came to the second download on the list. In any case, I recommend grabbing the v2.8 update, which I have just uploaded.

Crimson_T: Yeah ....I've seen that a few times now where the GOG forum doesn't seem to notice I've commented on something. If that happens, it also won't push the topic to the top of the list in the forum. I think it may occur if I edit a post too quickly. (i.e. noticed a quick typo immediately after posting that I fix in under a minute).
Yep, that or something similar is likely the cause.
GOGcli GUI has been updated to v2.8.

Update only features an important BUGFIX for the DOWNLOAD ALL process.
NOTE - This bug crashed the program, so I have now removed the main downloads of v2.5, v2.6 and v2.7.

DOWNLOAD - https://github.com/Twombs/GOGcli-GUI/releases/tag/v2.8

---------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTES - First off let me apologize for a flaw in my program, especially to first time users, who would likely have all been impacted. Those already using my program likely weren't impacted, as I wasn't.

The flaw appears to be fixed, and just took renaming of one variable to do so. It seems I probably should not have used a generic name for it, as somewhere in related code I must have used that name already ... code that only runs, it seems, for first time users.

However, while that was certainly a big mistake of small proportions, perhaps my worst mistake was not running everything as a new user, before releasing the update with DOWNLOAD ALL, as doing so would have allowed me to detect the flaw.

In my defense, I can only say it had a been a long day with lots of coding, that involved tweaking and troubleshooting, and in the end I had run out of time and energy, to go that extra mile, and being so tired, my thinking at that point was no doubt a bit flawed too. In hindsight I probably should have waited another day, but my mind could not see an issue at that point ... oh sweet confidence ... ever the coder's nemesis.
Post edited January 14, 2022 by Timboli
Timboli: Very detailed and to the point response here.
Thanks for the detailed response, everything is clear and understandable.

I will see to using gogrepo to get the library size.

Timboli: GOGcli GUI has been updated to v2.8.

Update only features an important BUGFIX for the DOWNLOAD ALL process.
NOTE - This bug crashed the program, so I have now removed the main downloads of v2.5, v2.6 and v2.7.
Thanks for updating the application so quickly, I can report that the functionality has been restored. Haven't started on downloading the whole library yet, but the day will come Soon™.

And I'm glad you managed to get to the core of the problem, without sacrificing too much time (that is lightning fast, when I consider most of my troubleshooting sessions, which just either go on and on, or just end up creating issue after issue). Don't worry about that other stuff, since it could just as well be that not a lot of people have started using GUI from scratch, and the issue was caught sooner than later.

If any other issue arise, do you maybe want them reported on GitHub, or will reporting them in this thread suffice?
Post edited January 14, 2022 by McFirson
McFirson: Thanks for the detailed response, everything is clear and understandable.

I will see to using gogrepo to get the library size.
My pleasure and thanks.
If you haven't already done that last, be aware of two things.
(1) My program always checks free space before downloading a game file, and if not enough then that file is reported as skipped. Unfortunately it still works its way through other listed files as some could be much smaller ... which is not an issue in the usual download context, but problematic with DOWNLOAD ALL, as I never thought to cater for that and stop the process ... though it just results in some wasted time, and some later game titles being reported as DONE when they aren't fully maybe ... that would require replacing DONE with a zero, to then process such titles again.
(2) I have now developed a small program called ManifestToDB, which has been uploaded. And if you are prepared to download all your manifests prior to downloading game files, which could take some hours, depending on how many games you have, then that program can show your main manifest and report on total GOG library size.

McFirson: Thanks for updating the application so quickly, I can report that the functionality has been restored. Haven't started on downloading the whole library yet, but the day will come Soon™.

And I'm glad you managed to get to the core of the problem, without sacrificing too much time (that is lightning fast, when I consider most of my troubleshooting sessions, which just either go on and on, or just end up creating issue after issue). Don't worry about that other stuff, since it could just as well be that not a lot of people have started using GUI from scratch, and the issue was caught sooner than later.
Excellent.
It was a silly mistake to make in the first place, but understandable maybe if you know how it eventuated. Still it was so obvious when I was checking, that it was the first thing I modified ... and it worked. I use that variable name a lot, but usually in a more localized scope. Part of the issue was I was building a process from existing code, and cobbling that together, without considering that an assignment might also be used in another section. With rare exceptions I generally stick to using unique variable names.

McFirson: If any other issue arise, do you maybe want them reported on GitHub, or will reporting them in this thread suffice?
Here would be better at this stage, and likely result in me seeing it sooner.
Post edited January 15, 2022 by Timboli
For those who would like such, I have developed a supplementary program for GOGcli GUI, called ManifestDB.

I imagine I will eventually incorporate the code into GOGcli GUI, but for now it is standalone.

DOWNLOAD - https://github.com/Twombs/GOGcli-GUI/releases/tag/v0.1

Basically it will convert your 'Manifest.txt' file into a 'Manifest.log' file, which is a TAB delimited database file. When run it does that, plus reports on the number of games in your manifest as well as total size of them all, plus then shows the result in a viewer, along with a sort by title option.

If all your game manifests have been downloaded and incorporated into the main manifest file, then you will be able to see the full size of your GOG Library reported ... errors or omissions by GOG aside.