It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

ncameron: Why wasn't that file included? Is there any possibly valid reason they may have had for not putting it on the disk in the first place? I've never heard of one which makes any sense other than 'you need to have your game verified online' - i.e. DRM.
It was done to prevent the game from being leaked/pirated before release date. Pretty sure they even said so.
Just to pick up the pace: :)

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/according_to_one_modder_gogcom_games_have_drm_and_denuvo_is_not_drm/post31
CheekyTiki: ...What is the benefit of buying newer games like say the Witcher series on GOG as opposed to Steam? ...
You get a DRM free version of the game and you support the dev more (in case of Witcher). For many people this is sufficient reason.

If however you own Witcher already on Steam, there is typically no need to buy them again. You can though. Some people do that.
Trilarion: If however you own Witcher already on Steam, there is typically no need to buy them again. You can though. Some people do that.
As GOG becomes more and more like Steam, that becomes more and more pointless.
Post edited September 06, 2021 by bit.rot
GOG is future! STEAM and Denuvo are bad for PC players in long run!
synfresh: I have always thought that for a very good majority of people who are anti-client/Steam, the main reason is usually because there was issue that caused them to sour on the experience. For the other millions that use a client, it presents no issues so it's accepted/tolerated.
HereForTheBeer: I have to admit to myself that if it wasn't for that particular hiccup, or if I hadn't bothered to read the EULA / terms and simply clicked Okay or Yes or whatever it was, I might not have thought twice about the client and simply gone along with it. Though I was a gOg customer before that incident.

But it did happen: I saw one potential pitfall firsthand, and for an old-school gamer who grew up on code wheels and "3rd word, 2nd paragraph, page 18" copy protection that mostly relied on me simply not losing the manual or code wheel, this was a new twist that put copy protection out of my hands. A wake-up call, if you will.

I completely understand why a lot of people think it's no big deal. If one's gaming years started during or shortly before the Steam client came around, then using a client might be all that person really knows. And if their internet connection is fast and reliable, ditto. Or maybe it's an old school gamer who is ready for a client to take over the nuts and bolts of dealing with a library. none of those are me, and I have a personal anecdote that makes me think twice whenever the matter comes up. For me, it's a big deal as it relates to how I interact with this hobby. I get the "who cares?" attitude. But I do care, and feel I have a valid firsthand experience for why I should care. But this is only one customer out of millions out there, and my way isn't the only way.
I've been gaming pretty much since the 80's. I've owned numerous PC's and consoles along with hundreds of games. I've been a user on Steam since 2005. And I can tell you that since 2005, I never, not once have had an issue where I was denied access to any game I own or had any issue with the client that prevented me from accessing my library. For all of Steam's warts, by large it does work 90-95% of the time and that's good enough for most PC gamers. I always make the joke that at the end of the day, you can be pissed about Steam or anti-DRM on principle, but most gamers just wanna play Skyrim (or insert any game that is only available on Steam). For me, this hobby is about playing games first, that will always be the first priority. How it's delivered to me is secondary.
HereForTheBeer: I have to admit to myself that if it wasn't for that particular hiccup, or if I hadn't bothered to read the EULA / terms and simply clicked Okay or Yes or whatever it was, I might not have thought twice about the client and simply gone along with it. Though I was a gOg customer before that incident.

But it did happen: I saw one potential pitfall firsthand, and for an old-school gamer who grew up on code wheels and "3rd word, 2nd paragraph, page 18" copy protection that mostly relied on me simply not losing the manual or code wheel, this was a new twist that put copy protection out of my hands. A wake-up call, if you will.

I completely understand why a lot of people think it's no big deal. If one's gaming years started during or shortly before the Steam client came around, then using a client might be all that person really knows. And if their internet connection is fast and reliable, ditto. Or maybe it's an old school gamer who is ready for a client to take over the nuts and bolts of dealing with a library. none of those are me, and I have a personal anecdote that makes me think twice whenever the matter comes up. For me, it's a big deal as it relates to how I interact with this hobby. I get the "who cares?" attitude. But I do care, and feel I have a valid firsthand experience for why I should care. But this is only one customer out of millions out there, and my way isn't the only way.
synfresh: I've been gaming pretty much since the 80's. I've owned numerous PC's and consoles along with hundreds of games. I've been a user on Steam since 2005. And I can tell you that since 2005, I never, not once have had an issue where I was denied access to any game I own or had any issue with the client that prevented me from accessing my library. For all of Steam's warts, by large it does work 90-95% of the time and that's good enough for most PC gamers. I always make the joke that at the end of the day, you can be pissed about Steam or anti-DRM on principle, but most gamers just wanna play Skyrim (or insert any game that is only available on Steam). For me, this hobby is about playing games first, that will always be the first priority. How it's delivered to me is secondary.
On the other hand I was denied my access to my library when I was out of internet for about 2 or so weeks. Waiting for the company to install/start my cable internet service, I couldn't use steam nor my library for that entire time.
burkjon: That's weird, if you already had your games installed before the net went down (very likely) you could have just enter offline mode to play them. It pops up as an option any time it can't connect.
I actually did try that, it came up with some error wanting me to log in online when I couldn't.
Steam is poison.
GOG is the antidote.

That's my scientific and irrefutable opinion. You think otherwise? You're wrong :D

No, really... GOG is a breath of fresh air :) It's like the 90's all over again. You go to the shop, you buy the games. They're yours and you can play them where you want. Simple and perfect.
shadow1980jpv: GOG is future! STEAM and Denuvo are bad for PC players in long run!
And why is Steam bad?
I've been using Steam since it started, have 893 games there and the only two issues i ran into were the song deletion on the old GTA games but that wasn't Valve's fault but rather the licensing issues Rockstar faced and that sometimes the servers are down, get ddos'd or just fuck up.
Other then that? I can play all my games just fine all the time, offline mode works just fine. It's actually no different to gog, except that gog is breaking german laws which is good for me (got an uncut Saints Row 2 and 3 via connect)

As i said in another topic, Steam, the software itself is awesome with all the community functions, groups, proper forums, workshop and it starts up faster than gog galaxy which takes a hideously long time before i even see my library. Steam takes 15 seconds with 300+ games installed across 2 hard drives, gog takes nearly 2 minutes with about 100 games installed on one hard drive.

gog is actually holding themself back by being so picky about niche games, about indie developers and all that. After they abandoned their niche of focusing on classic games, especially from the dos era i thought they would get into direct competition with Valve but they don't. Steam has a monopoly but that is simply because gog is too lazy and disorganized (and EA with Origin act like Lemmings, not even knowing what the hell they're doing)

I agree about Denuvo, it's like Starforce all over again.
burkjon: You can play them on your current computer and a few computers after that, at least (basically the same as Steam). The future holds no guarantee what platform will rise to prevalence, could be Windows 10 S on ARM, which in that case better hope for good emulation solutions. Games are not like music and movie files. Your GOG library is also a ticking clock; keep them old computers alive as long as you can.
Ever heard of emulators and virtual machines? Development is ongoing, just as Dosbox is being used for old dos games and there are functioning emulators for consoles up to around the Wii, there will be solutions in the future to be able to run games on modern hardware. It might not always be the perfect solution but it's adequate (otherwise gog, who still distribute the old games with a hideously outdated vanila dosbox instead of using something modern like snv daum would be out of business)

I actually see more of a problem with music because cd players are dying, modern cd players are cheaply made to the point where some don't even can put de-emphasis on old cd's that have pre-emphasis on them, while on the other hand most old games can be made to run on a modern windows pc
Post edited June 07, 2017 by ShadowAngel.207
burkjon: You can play them on your current computer and a few computers after that, at least (basically the same as Steam). The future holds no guarantee what platform will rise to prevalence, could be Windows 10 S on ARM, which in that case better hope for good emulation solutions. Games are not like music and movie files. Your GOG library is also a ticking clock; keep them old computers alive as long as you can.

Also isn't it strange how nobody here bats an eyelash to Windows having DRM for the last 16 years? You know, the DRM'd OS you rely on for all your DRM-free games to run?
No mate, I have 2 computers. One with internet, another without any kind of possible connection.

I download my games in one computer and install the games on the other computer. That computer is 100% DRM free, piracy free. Not even the best hackers can enter it unless they enter my house.

OFFLINE computers are a must in the days of today :) And so they are offline games (at a lesser extend)

Services like the Cloud, or online access to games via "something", are trash.