It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We're happy to announce that starting today, you can play the GOG versions of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and selected games from The Witcher universe via GeForce NOW, NVIDIA's cloud gaming service.

If you want to explore the universe of the legendary Witcher, become a professional monster slayer, or a war-veteran queen of two Northern Realms, you can do it now on almost any device -- including low-powered units, Mac laptops, Chromebooks, and more, thanks to GeForce NOW.

All GOG owners of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition, The Witcher Adventure Game, and Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales can stream these games across their devices via GeForce NOW with full language support.

Finally, you can also easily capture your best gameplay moments in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition, thanks to GeForce NOW’s sharing tools. Your best monster takedowns are captured automatically thanks to NVIDIA Highlights.
W3irdN3rd: I apologize, I assumed it was the same as Stadia.

Perhaps GOG could have worded this more clearly in the announcement. A little intro to what GeForce Now is (a game rendering service, not a game rental subscription) would have been helpful.
The main difference with "regular" streaming services is that with Stadia and such you rent games, but with this GeForce Now service you actually rent a computer to run your games on.

What surprises me is to see announcement about game additions to this service. I naively thought that by renting a gaming computer to run your games on, you should be able to transfer any game you already own on it. It seems that it is actually not that simple.
Is this supposed to be live now? I don't see any way to link my GOG account to GeForce Now.
high rated
@gog.com What makes you think people on gog that mostly buy these games to own them all of a sudden want to play them on cloud. Stop being so out of touch ... you know why people buy stuff on gog.
lixicus: @gog.com What makes you think people on gog that mostly buy these games to own them all of a sudden want to play them on cloud. Stop being so out of touch ... you know why people buy stuff on gog.
Maybe because they dont have a powerfull enough rig to play them?
Lets say that somody with not a lot of money wanted to play cyberpunk but dont have enough money to shell out for a gaming pc.
Then the option is to buy the game here and use the geforce services to stream the game instead.
low rated
Yet another cloud gaming service that will probably be closed within several years.

Anyone else remember "gems" like gametap? I do
GOG.com: All GOG owners of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition, The Witcher Adventure Game, and Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales can stream these games across their devices via GeForce NOW with full language support.
One would think most would want to play such more complex/demanding games while not on the go and likely rushed for time.
GOG.com: Finally, you can also easily capture your best gameplay moments in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition, thanks to GeForce NOW’s sharing tools. Your best monster takedowns are captured automatically thanks to NVIDIA Highlights.
I wonder how much other data it gathers(and totally doesn't profit off of).

=-=-=
Maxvorstadt: Can someone please tell me, why I need this?
Because it's hip and happening, of course. ;)

(all the kewl pplz love the data sharing and whatnot.....google told me so like 50 times just this week, so it must be true)

-
-
mr_space: Could be useful for someone like me, 2008 iMac and fiber connection...
Is it portable? I ask, as this seems to be more for people playing games on the go or while out of the house, more than playing at home.
(while at home, one could just play from the offline installers)
Post edited March 12, 2021 by GamezRanker
high rated
Even if you do have to own the DRM-free version of it through GOG, I still see it as helping to normalize and erode the DRM-free part. It's the soft stepping stone to implement Streaming/renting only games.
It's a bad move, setting a precedent for the future.

If you can afford to rent time on their computers, you can afford a better computer.
If you can afford high-speed fiber internet, you can afford a better computer.

Support DRM-free games you control, instead of letting them tell you how long you can play and what games you can play, and when you can play it.
low rated
Vendor-Lazarus: If you can afford to rent time on their computers, you can afford a better computer.
If you can afford high-speed fiber internet, you can afford a better computer.
New gaming computers can cost around 750-1500 bucks....even if one builds one themselves.

Rental services and internet maybe cost 50 or so a month combined.

(yes, one could save up, but that takes time.....also if one is poor enough, usually an emergency will come up at some point and deplete their stash of cash back down to zero in short order)

For the poorest this is likely a godsend(well minus the likely data collection and such)....owning a copy of ones games DRM free and being able to play it at home(if one can) or via the service......unlike with Stadia and the like.

(I'd say the bigger problems with this service are things like the likely data harvesting they'll be doing, possible crap quality, the service going down, lag, etc)

Vendor-Lazarus: Support DRM-free games you control, instead of letting them tell you how long you can play and what games you can play, and when you can play it.
Imo this gives people more freedom in some ways, by allowing some without the proper HW to play games they otherwise couldn't play, and allows people with the proper HW the ability to play in more places while still being able to play at home with offline installers...and all while still owning the games DRM free.
low rated
Outsiders: Congratz to GOG but it took me 265 hours to finish Witcher 3 and the DLCs and I'm in no mood to do that all over again anytime soon...
nobody asked that
W3irdN3rd: I apologize, I assumed it was the same as Stadia.

Perhaps GOG could have worded this more clearly in the announcement. A little intro to what GeForce Now is (a game rendering service, not a game rental subscription) would have been helpful.
vv221: The main difference with "regular" streaming services is that with Stadia and such you rent games, but with this GeForce Now service you actually rent a computer to run your games on.

What surprises me is to see announcement about game additions to this service. I naively thought that by renting a gaming computer to run your games on, you should be able to transfer any game you already own on it. It seems that it is actually not that simple.
nah it is not a rent a comp , it is more like you can play these games on our cloud, these are preinstalled games, you only need to log in
Post edited March 12, 2021 by Orkhepaj
low rated
Cifer84: It's not DRM. It's on optional way of playing the game you own on GOG.

I can't write anything without some idiotic person making bullshit statements. Of course streaming is DRM. Next you tell me that the earth is flat, shut up man.
Breja: Apparently what you can't do is grasp basic facts of the situation.
sadly this is how modern rage culture works, they don't think they just want to show what side they are on

fe this Cifer guy is so fanatical about this , he says no games is better than no pure-drm-free games, how insane is that
glad he is the miniscule minority even here on gog
low rated
Time4Tea: As long as it stays as 'options' and doesn't slowly turn into de-facto normalization. Let's not forget, GOG was originally set up to resist the normalization of online DRM in games.

The problem with this cloud gaming model (even if it is basically just renting of hardware resources) is that, if you are playing games that you wouldn't be able to play on local hardware you can afford, then your gaming is dependent on an external service. And, in a way, that's not much different to DRM - your just being shacked in a different way. A shift towards that model will reduce manufacturers' incentives to provide affordable consumer hardware and the problem will only get worse.

These companies are all desperate to make you dependent on an online service, and for that service to be their one. For you, it's about convenience. For them, it's about control. Think about the bigger picture.
Spot on.

Surely GOG promoting more ways to play that require the internet should at least be giving people pause. Remember when Galaxy was entirely optional and not a constant reminder that they don't give a crap about gamers who like doing things the old, manual way?
low rated
ReynardFox: Surely GOG promoting more ways to play that require the internet should at least be giving people pause.
Even if GOG were up to something....what could we do about it? It's not like we own a good chunk of stock, or have some influence over the company beyond our individual and collective purchasing power.

Yes, a little caution is fine and good advice to follow in general, but over worrying/worrying about what ifs usually isn't. I often adopt a wait and see approach...then if I need to change the level of response to something or the way I react, I do so as needed.

In this case, people still have their drm free(ish) games, and can play them either on their own HW or via the service....they don't need to solely use the service, or even use it at all if they don't want to. Now if GOG tied a cloud service to one's purchases full stop, or showed actual signs they were going to do so, then i'd be worried and criticizing such.

That said, I don't have a use for this service & it has other likely negatives, so I won't be partaking.
high rated
ReynardFox: Spot on.

Surely GOG promoting more ways to play that require the internet should at least be giving people pause. Remember when Galaxy was entirely optional and not a constant reminder that they don't give a crap about gamers who like doing things the old, manual way?
Yes, I do. And yes, GOG's course is giving me pause. I pause buying here. Indefinitely, unless GOG returns to DRM-free single-player and 100% optional Galaxy.
Reynard_Muldrake: Is this supposed to be live now? I don't see any way to link my GOG account to GeForce Now.
You just go directly to the Geforce Now site, download the client, and search for the games. Choose the version that says GOG.com. Configure the client by choose the right resolution/proportions for your screen (max 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 pixels). Play for an hour. Use autosave within the game if there is and remember to save before the time ends. Rinse and repeat.

Before playing, you can check your connection from the configuration menu in the client. Also you can optimize the use of the bandwith that the client does (probably the default will be fine, the client will adapt dynamically).

If you needed advice for reducing latency or whatever, do not be afraid to ask.

So far, most of the games are from Steam, then Epic, then GOG.

Again, it would be nice if GOG confirmed whether cloud saves are shared between GFN and regular galaxy cloud saves for local playing. If it eventually did, it would be great.

Else we would have to make the experiment...
Post edited March 12, 2021 by Carradice
low rated
This is excellent news, and a good start.

Here's a few things I'd love to see as your cooperation continues:

1. A visible note inside GOG Galaxy that the game is also on GFN, and given the option to launch the game on GFN directly from GOG Galaxy. E.g., as Mac user see that Witcher 3 is on GFN, and launch it directly from GOG.
2. Back-end link between the two accounts, so I don't have to login each time I start a game. And as point 1, but in reverse. Be able to see which games I can play on GFN.
3. And of course, more games. Preferably ever game in the catalogue, but we all know some devs/publishers are a bit of a grinch when it comes to this.
well as I live in Australia this is fake news