It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Elmofongo: Then what should GOG do? End the curation and open the floodgates for all games?

Is it that simple?
Yup, that is exactly what GOG should do. And yes, it is that simple.

People can decide for themselves what games they do or don't want to buy. They don't need GOG curators taking that decision-making power away from them.
Elmofongo: But what about the whole idea that GOG won't get every game because a lot of devs don't want their new games DRM Free?
dgnfly: If Devs don't wanna release that's not on GOG and isn't something they can change, but GOGs refusal to release games that are offered is the problem. In the end, they need to expand and excluding games on their personal taste will just drive users to another digital storefront that do allow free choice. GOG must be wanting to go bankrupt real quick. it's not as if GOG has any exclusives, unlike other stores, so they should be happy with what they can get.
Uh huh. lol
GameRager: GOG will lose money/userbase growth from loyal fans of the series, though.
Elmofongo: I see this as a vicious cycle.

GOG loses loyal fans from one series in Wizardry.

GOG gains loyal fans of another in say Blizzard with Warcraft and Diablo here.

You win some you lose some.

Unless I am wrong on this?
They could win both by adding Wizardry. Diablo fans aren't ran off because a Wizardry game got added. Take that concept and apply it to every game that's been denied and it becomes a larger problem that drives potential customers away.
GameRager: GOG will lose money/userbase growth from loyal fans of the series, though.

dgnfly: If Devs don't wanna release that's not on GOG and isn't something they can change, but GOGs refusal to release games that are offered is the problem. In the end, they need to expand and excluding games on their personal taste will just drive users to another digital storefront that do allow free choice. GOG must be wanting to go bankrupt real quick. it's not as if GOG has any exclusives, unlike other stores, so they should be happy with what they can get.
Elmofongo: I just don't want it to end up with there only being Steam vs Epic Game Store.
You'd be better off with steam alone because Epic can't be trusted with them being owned partially by the Chinese government.

Also, your notion of them gaining a lot of Blizzard fans is bullshit when you take into account that Steam still has the more massive userbase and with most hardcore fans going for the online aspect of those games you'd go with the one with most players online. GOG is more for titles you play offline hence why DRM free matters most to GOG users.

I just don't want it to end up with there only being Steam vs Epic Game Store.
dgnfly: You'd be better off with steam alone because Epic can't be trusted with them being owned partially by the Chinese government.

Also, your notion of them gaining a lot of Blizzard fans is bullshit when you take into account that Steam still has the more massive userbase and with most hardcore fans going for the online aspect of those games you'd go with the one with most players online. GOG is more for titles you play offline hence why DRM free matters most to GOG users.
And that is what matters in the end for me. DRM Free.

The day Steam sells games DRM Free AND without the need of a client is the day GOG dies.
Post edited May 18, 2019 by Elmofongo
low rated
richlind33: Uh huh. lol
YOu taking the notion of Free by DRM free but there is also a freedom of choice on what you wanna play and Steam does allow more games on their platform and has a bigger choice than GOG so it's not like GOG has an upper hand by denying games from their storefront. I want DRM free mostly for my older games and those with the single player only and those with multiplayer are better played on different stores. Some Steam games don't have DRM in them so you could be picky and go for those games on Steam. In the end, it depends on the studio to do DRM free not GOG.
fronzelneekburm: I'm wondering whether this may in fact be their ultimate goal. Maybe they have decided that DRM-free games won't take off the way they have imagined it, so they're trying to run gog into the ground, so they won't have any more dead weight in their next quarterly report.

Sounds completely nonsensical, but then again, nothing about the way gog is currently run makes a whole lot of sense.
I remember when GOG staff actually did press release videos(some funny but informative and others serious in tone) every so often detailing their decisions/why they did them or apologizing for past mistakes. Lately they've been doing hardly none at all. It makes one wonder if they're even TRYING to stay in touch with the userbase on such a level anymore. :\
low rated
dgnfly: You'd be better off with steam alone because Epic can't be trusted with them being owned partially by the Chinese government.

Elmofongo: And that is what matters in the end for me. DRM Free.

The day Steam sells games DRM Free is the day GOG dies.
Some steam games are DRM free but not all, they leave it to the Devs. If it were up to steam they'd all just be DRM free.
If steam decided to release them with installer GOG be history by now so all they can go on is the good grace of its fanbase which it seems to care little about.
low rated
GameRager: (Also kudos to you for not getting low rated for such a contentious post)
Actually, the first post in this topic *was* low rated at one point; I uprated ththe post as soon as I saw that.
Elmofongo: Then what should GOG do? End the curation and open the floodgates for all games?

Is it that simple?
Ancient-Red-Dragon: Yup, that is exactly what GOG should do. And yes, it is that simple.

People can decide for themselves what games they do or don't want to buy. They don't need GOG curators taking that decision-making power away from them.
So you'd be OK with this releasing here without achievements or multiplayer functionality?

richlind33: Uh huh. lol
dgnfly: YOu taking the notion of Free by DRM free but there is also a freedom of choice on what you wanna play and Steam does allow more games on their platform and has a bigger choice than GOG so it's not like GOG has an upper hand by denying games from their storefront. I want DRM free mostly for my older games and those with the single player only and those with multiplayer are better played on different stores. Some Steam games don't have DRM in them so you could be picky and go for those games on Steam. In the end, it depends on the studio to do DRM free not GOG.
"Free choice" doesn't exist. Not here. Not anywhere.

Not saying it couldn't, but at present, it does not.
Post edited May 18, 2019 by richlind33
Elmofongo: And that is what matters in the end for me. DRM Free.

The day Steam sells games DRM Free is the day GOG dies.
dgnfly: Some steam games are DRM free but not all, they leave it to the Devs. If it were up to steam they'd all just be DRM free.
If steam decided to release them with installer GOG be history by now so all they can go on is the good grace of its fanbase which it seems to care little about.
There's also the facts that:
* You need proprietary software to even use the store and download the game in the first place. (Granted, the games sold on GOG are (almost all) proprietary, but that's another story.)
* Steam doesn't make it clear what games are DRM-free and which are DRM-encumbered. (I hear they wouldn't even list Denuvo as third-party DRM claiming that "anti-tamper" is not DRM.)
* There's no guarantee that a game that's "DRM-free" on Steam will remain that way.
GameRager: (Also kudos to you for not getting low rated for such a contentious post)
dtgreene: Actually, the first post in this topic *was* low rated at one point; I uprated ththe post as soon as I saw that.
You can see that the community here is very divided.

Its a like a Forum Civil War.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: Yup, that is exactly what GOG should do. And yes, it is that simple.

richlind33: So you'd be OK with this releasing here without achievements or multiplayer functionality?
achievements in general mean nothing and were never included in the old days even if this version has it would nothing more than an online showboating grind fest, Multiplayer is only useful if it is future proof made. For instance, if you can host it yourself instead of relying on an intermediator as most Paradox games do
richlind33: So you'd be OK with this releasing here without achievements or multiplayer functionality?
dgnfly: achievements in general mean nothing and were never included in the old days even if this version has it would nothing more than an online showboating grind fest, Multiplayer is only useful if it is future proof made. For instance, if you can host it yourself instead of relying on an intermediator as most Paradox games do
A lot of peeps don't see it that way, tho.
The_Gypsy: Yes, it is. Titles people like get on here, titles people dislike get on here. The only difference between curated and not curated is that GOG isn't spending money to avoid potential sales if they ditch the policy.
Elmofongo: But what about the whole idea that GOG won't get every game because a lot of devs don't want their new games DRM Free?
Where do you get that "a lot of devs" from? A lot don't mind and many don't even know what DRM is.

GOG can't really stop curating and open the floodgates because they have to package each game manually after checking it which takes man-hours. That is repeated when patches are released. Of course, they could get rid of that if they said bye-bye to the offline installers and the DRM-free experience but most people here certainly don't want that, right? Nevertheless, their curation is garbage and they accept a lot of bad stuff while selling broken and/or not updated games (even directly as the publisher) while denying obviously good games. So of course they will piss people off (me included). Add that to all the other gripes I have with this website/store and I'm almost done with it.