It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

ashtonx: At the time there was a mess with antifa calling everyone who was white and male a nazi, attacking people etc... At that point id should've been careful about what they say to promote and removed themselves from political bs, instead they decided to side with antifa and go full left wing..
StingingVelvet: What specifically was their "pro-ANTIFA" message?
https://8ch.net/index.html

Play on trump slogan... normally wouldn't be a problem, but timing was that there was a lot of screeches that anyone pro trump was a nazi :D

anyway, here's an article about whole mess
http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/353211-wolfenstein-2-ads-misrepresented-game-fed-us-political-turmoil

Honestly Id have no issue if they didn't deliberately ride antifa train and tried to cool the mess down.

StingingVelvet: Like many arguments on here I think you missed a huge part of what I said because of language barrier or whatever else. I said "harassment WING" in order to specifically point out I don't think every GG member is a harasser. Hell, I don't think everyone in any group is anything, that's not how groups work. However the way the world works is that groups get tainted by their worst actors, and GamerGate has enough harassers or harassment defenders in it to ruin its reputation. GOG wants nothing to do with that reputation as a business, hence the twitter post removal. It all makes 100% sense if you remove your emotional politics from it.

P.S. I googled the Wolfenstein thing and assuming you were referencing the talk between the two guards I think that's hilarious. It's an exaggerated, fictional message like in Indiana Jones, not a declaration of war. Similar to how many great 80's classics had an exaggerated anti-corporate message (which sadly had zero effect).
Wrong, the other side had much more harassers, hell the only reason it has bad rep was because it was smeared by press the very moment it started....

among many by those people..
https://twitter.com/i/moments/851713200537993216

Also resetera is a damn den of those harssers, and gog just went to bow down to them ?

It means gog cares about superfluous appearances and is not beyond smearing a movement just to virtue signal.
Post edited July 22, 2018 by ashtonx
high rated
StingingVelvet: Like many arguments on here I think you missed a huge part of what I said because of language barrier or whatever else. I said "harassment WING" in order to specifically point out I don't think every GG member is a harasser. Hell, I don't think everyone in any group is anything, that's not how groups work.
Normally that would be the case. Except game journalists used extra effort to lump everybody into the harassment wing of Gamergate. It gave birth to NotYourShield. It created wounds and scars that many of us feel today when it gets prodded. It reminds us of the betrayal by the media when we were stabbed in the back and the knife twisted. If the media had any sort of integrity when reporting then this wouldn't have happened.

However the way the world works is that groups get tainted by their worst actors, and GamerGate has enough harassers or harassment defenders in it to ruin its reputation. GOG wants nothing to do with that reputation as a business, hence the twitter post removal. It all makes 100% sense if you remove your emotional politics from it.
Not true. The media that fought against Gamergate has done far, far worse. They have people who have physically harassed women, rapists and child molesters - people who have actually been convicted in a court of law of these terrible crimes. Yet they aren't accused as whole for being as bad as their worst actors. No, this is a result of a media narrative - this isn't how the world usually works. Whoever controls the narrative controls how the world works.

P.S. I googled the Wolfenstein thing and assuming you were referencing the talk between the two guards I think that's hilarious. It's an exaggerated, fictional message like in Indiana Jones, not a declaration of war. Similar to how many great 80's classics had an exaggerated anti-corporate message (which sadly had zero effect).
I do want to play Wolfenstein II. It's not DRM-free so it's a no-go from me though.
low rated
rebirth: STEAM is also "Steam Workshop Mods" which is a bad thing and anti-mods community.
STEAM let also their door open for terrible things like Denuvo .
STEAM also do not care about Sony/Microsoft asking devs to sabotage games (Alien Isolation "resolution", there was a thread on their forum, and links about this strategy revealed years ago).
To let the console version look less as a downgrade.
Dead or Alive looking less good.

narmando: with their terrible PR management, GOG made STEAM look good.
rebirth: Sadly, this part is true.
Their recent move to put away the "Game Bloggers and SJW Tyranny", because they are extremely poisonous for a company, was a really good and smart business one.
Also, let's not forget that Steam changed they stance on censorship in games only after the huge backlash they got after deleting several visual novels that had adult content in them from there games catalog (they brought them back since them).

So it was less of them standing up for consumer choice and more of damage control after a big goof.
ashtonx: other side had much more harassers, hell the only reason it has bad rep was because it was smeared by press the very moment it started....

Also resetera is a damn den of those harssers, and gog just went to bow down to them
wew, this link is new to me. I already knew that all those journos are full with shit but that it is so bad! Holy shit.
We are basicly getting our gaming news from a women hating and child rapist cabal...
wait

the f-word, why does one of the GoG team has an account at resetera at all?
low rated
ashtonx: other side had much more harassers, hell the only reason it has bad rep was because it was smeared by press the very moment it started....

Also resetera is a damn den of those harssers, and gog just went to bow down to them
bell02: wew, this link is new to me. I already knew that all those journos are full with shit but that it is so bad! Holy shit.
We are basicly getting our gaming news from a women hating and child rapist cabal...
wait

the f-word, why does one of the GoG team has an account at resetera at all?
(O_O)
low rated
Ah, that does seem like a bit of silly marketing. I'm always surprised when companies do this because you'd think they'd care about the other 50% of the world who supports the other "side." I know they focus on young people in advertising because it sways young people more and young people spend more on games, but still you'd think they'd at least not want to outright appear hostile to half of the U.S. and whatnot.

Still, I'm going to be honest with you and say I do think Trump is a White Nationalist, as are many of his supporters, so there is definitely commentary to be had there. Shame it was only a marketing ploy.

ashtonx: Wrong, the other side had much more harassers, hell the only reason it has bad rep was because it was smeared by press the very moment it started....
The other side definitely has harassers and complainers, but you betray your emotional bias by saying "more." The fact of the matter is extremists drive these arguments from both ends while the vast majority see merits on both sides or just want to ignore the whole thing.
StingingVelvet: The other side definitely has harassers and complainers, but you betray your emotional bias by saying "more." The fact of the matter is extremists drive these arguments from both ends while the vast majority see merits on both sides or just want to ignore the whole thing.
Is it ? I see only extremists persist on the side of journalists.

Also gg is a common movement, anyone could say he represents gg. Yet after the mess was visible community despite not being ruled by anyone started to clean itself from this junk, shunning extremists on every step.

Can you say the same about journalists ? Rather the fact they collaborated from beginning shows how they're arranging narrative beforehand. They're a closed circle, and as for members of that circle what they did.. i believe i don't have to give you a link. Did journalists changed ? I don't see that, hell they're always first to defend their own when they screw up.

This is who gog sided with against many of it's customers and who they wanted to appease when they called gg 'abusive'.
low rated
ashtonx: This is who gog sided with against many of it's customers and who they wanted to appease when they called gg 'abusive'.
Look, you'll get no bigger supporter of the idea that journalists live in a San Francisco-New York bubble and follow each other around like sheep. I completely agree, and any cursory scan of most "big" gaming sites will back that up. You'll also get no bigger supporter of the idea these people are way too loyal to anything Left-leaning and will twist a narrative to suit their political aims. That recent ArenaNet thing is a perfect example.

However I also know some people on the other side have handled this extremely poorly and engaged in harassment and troll campaigns the likes of which disgust me. I also know from spending times on forums much less polite and moderated than this one that many on the "GG" side of things really are sexist, racist assholes. Check out the RPGCodex GamerGate thread, it's filled with disgusting filth of humanity.

So hence my point... extremists on both sides, San Francisco liberals versus internet troll farms, with the silent majority of rational people just trying to play games and get their gaming news between them. Then there's GOG, who for business reasons pulled back from a GG supporting image, which I think people should understand for purely business reasons if none other. However none of you guys respond to that part, you just keep telling me how innocent GG is without acknowledging that whether GOG agrees or disagrees with that they have to denounce the group publicly for business reasons.
StingingVelvet: Still, I'm going to be honest with you and say I do think Trump is a White Nationalist, as are many of his supporters, so there is definitely commentary to be had there. Shame it was only a marketing ploy.
Hardly. He's a nationalist who happens to be white. There is a difference, and it's a big one.
low rated
StingingVelvet: Still, I'm going to be honest with you and say I do think Trump is a White Nationalist, as are many of his supporters, so there is definitely commentary to be had there. Shame it was only a marketing ploy.
Mavado: Hardly. He's a nationalist who happens to be white. There is a difference, and it's a big one.
I don't agree. He says plainly that people of different races are "diluting the culture." He defends people who say plainly they are White Nationalists. It is who he is, and it's a big driver of his core 30%~ish support.
low rated
Mavado: Hardly. He's a nationalist who happens to be white. There is a difference, and it's a big one.
StingingVelvet: I don't agree. He says plainly that people of different races are "diluting the culture." He defends people who say plainly they are White Nationalists. It is who he is, and it's a big driver of his core 30%~ish support.
I'm amazed you people actually think you know what trump is...

Anyway it's getting offtopic

StingingVelvet: However I also know some people on the other side have handled this extremely poorly and engaged in harassment and troll campaigns the likes of which disgust me. I also know from spending times on forums much less polite and moderated than this one that many on the "GG" side of things really are sexist, racist assholes. Check out the RPGCodex GamerGate thread, it's filled with disgusting filth of humanity.
Welcome to the internet...

in that case there's nothing safe.
Personally i think siding with trolls is safer in the long run than siding with actual rapists and extremists that are likely to attack you anyway, but I dunno, never studied pr and marketing.
low rated
XD He's a bigot Mavado. Stop fooling yourself.

KKK stages a protest, he refers to them as "fine Americans".
Black athletes stage a protest, he refers to them as "sons of bitches".

He calls BLM a terrorist group, the KKK, again, "Fina Americans".

Of actual terrorist groups/gangs, he only goes after the non white ones. Every day he condemns ISIS and M-13. When, if ever. have you ever seen him condemn, much less just criticize, either the Klan or the Aryan Front? If he has, point it out, I want to see it.

When a minority goes on a shooting spree, it's a gang, it's a terrorist act, and the solution is, "We need tougher laws!!!"
When a white person goes on a shooting spree it's a lone gunmen, it's mental illness, and the solution is "thoughts and prayers."

When he first became President this is the one problem I DIDN'T think he had. I thought as bad as he was/is, at least he isn't racist. Well I was wrong.

The guy is a bigot and there is no amount of rationalizing you can do to change that.
Post edited July 22, 2018 by tinyE
StingingVelvet: So hence my point... extremists on both sides, San Francisco liberals versus internet troll farms, with the silent majority of rational people just trying to play games and get their gaming news between them. Then there's GOG, who for business reasons pulled back from a GG supporting image, which I think people should understand for purely business reasons if none other. However none of you guys respond to that part, you just keep telling me how innocent GG is without acknowledging that whether GOG agrees or disagrees with that they have to denounce the group publicly for business reasons.
No, you stay neutral for business reasons. Unless your business is politics - stay the hell away from it. There are plenty of ways to extricate yourself from that situation without going in the exact opposite direction.
low rated
tremere110: No, you stay neutral for business reasons. Unless your business is politics - stay the hell away from it. There are plenty of ways to extricate yourself from that situation without going in the exact opposite direction.
I agree you should stay neutral, but in the case of a situation where a group has attained the reputation of a hate mob you have to denounce any connection. Again, whether you think GG has justifiably earned that reputation is beside the point. It has that reputation now, firmly entrenched, even on mainstream non-gaming news sites and channels like the BBC, so GOG had to remove any possible link. It is 100% common sense and understandable.

And with that I'm going to go play some Witcher 3. It's obvious no one's mind is changing in this thread.
bell02: the f-word, why does one of the GoG team has an account at resetera at all?
Maybe he needs some kind of "save space" far away from the evil vile beeings he is afraid of, you know the customers. ö.ö