It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

HypersomniacLive: Heh, not lies at all. You're talking about game #31, which is the one I subbed out on D1 (so yeah, very little interaction). I'm referring to game #27, where you subbed in and were lynched on the same Day, iirc.
I have no recollection whatsoever of playing that game. :-)
I would say more than annoyance with you it shows I was disinterested with the game and position I jumped in.

littlerabbit: It wouldn't..? It would be ZFR so far...
*puts money where mouth is*
vote ZFR
Cheers.

cristigale: My initial reaction was it wasn't worth the effort….but I did it and it was a pain in a@@. Now I'm glad I did. The games I've include are games I've played with flub or spectated with a decent amount of attention. It wasn't always possible to make out the avatar or the details. In some cases, his avatar changed early in the game, I went with the one that appeared to be used the majority of the game.

Summary:
-Flub appears to use a game related avatar in 14 of 16 games.

-There are no apparent instances where flubb is town and uses a scum related avatar, which some are arguing in this game. I think it's more likely he is scum.
By starting with only game 25 you left out quite a big portion of flub's games.:-)

Luckily someone did the job for you for older games. It ws awful work, I admit that, but it was something at least. Linku 1 and Linku 2

But I will never lynch someone based on avatar.
I don't find it good indication of his alignment from presented evidences, it would be incredibly WIFOM lynch and I overall don't find it as good argument to lynch anyone and honestly it surprises me a bit you are pushing this.

@all; Is it usual cristie's behaviour to base case on such things. (I would bold this but apparently it's forbidden now?)

elebutterfly: Also, for the record, I dislike referencing behaviour in completed games as "proof" someone is town in this one.. what's to prevent a scum player from deliberately copying their own behaviour in a game where they flipped town? It's "hard proof" that this is town behaviour, right? When, of course, anyone can read literally anyone as scummy on D1 because there's been no wagon to analyse and no lynch....
You make it sound like people make the consicous choice to play differently as scum. The differences are usually not on purpose, they are created when people are faking to be pro-town. Towns should be hunting scum so it wouldn't be that bad if mafia copied their behaviour and helped us to create legit case against their buddies. :-)

elebutterfly: I find it suspect to try to prove one's self like that this early. Now if I could just remember who it was..!
So acting towny early in the game is suspect? o_O
bler144: ... you and JoeS are voting together but seeming in disagreement over specifics?
I don't disagree! But I think that Trent did something similar to what Zephyr did, and I wanted to point that out.

trentonlf: I mean I am right and he is wrong IMO and he is right and I am wrong in his opinion, and it doesn't seem that will change.
Actually, in my opinion, neither of us is right or wrong. I think we both believe everything we've written, which I guess is a good thing.
I should stop trying to have the last word on this I guess, but I feel I'm being misrepresented.
whoops! missed a page.

- ZFR has got another vote. While I'm maybe doubting my initial reason for voting him I think there are still valid reasons for voting him. And well, you gotta lunch someone! (another point of which Trent and I may have to disavow to vaguaree)

Regarding Flubbucket's picture: I'm compelled by cristi's argument. I agree with Vitek that the very fact that he's used the pictures to cryptically hint at his role in the past means that I clearly cannot drink the wine in front of him, were it not for that plain fact that he's used the pictures in the past with a cryptic hint to something that isn't his role, indisputably indicating that I cannot drink the wine in front of me. BUT I can see why cristi is excitened by it. I confess I am a little too.

ALSO flubb's historically been mafia 8 times out of 23 games (23 games!! 0_o) It's not as big a proportion as I thought it was when I started writing this but still it's over a third of his games. That's not taking into account the cultist and the arsonist (I'm assuming arsonist is a anti-town role, I don't know if I know it...)
What the heck fates-of-mafia??

Not-particularly-expecting-a-useful-answer @Flubb: You congratulated cristi on noticing the link between pylon/cylon. Did you expect someone would get it?
Vitek: @all; Is it usual cristie's behaviour to base case on such things. (I would bold this but apparently it's forbidden now?)
I have played several games with cristi and can not recall her trying to do anything like this before.
Be away for a day due to an MTG Prerelease event and you 'Muricans fill this thread with a 100 posts...

I'll respond with my insights (or lack thereof) and responsible responses to the scummy people once I've caught up.
JoeSapphire: ..........That's not taking into account the cultist and the arsonist (I'm assuming arsonist is a anti-town role, I don't know if I know it...)
What the heck fates-of-mafia??

Not-particularly-expecting-a-useful-answer @Flubb: You congratulated cristi on noticing the link between pylon/cylon. Did you expect someone would get it?
Town arsonist!!! Seriously doesn't anyone understand something sooooo simple. Argh

I pride myself in being the most clever person wearing my skin right now. To see another get the smartness is warming.
Damnation: Be away for a day due to an MTG Prerelease event and you 'Muricans fill this thread with a 100 posts...
Hey! Reckon I've done at least 45 of those 100 posts!

! Done a little bit of investigating and, to my surprise, turned up something relevant

https://www.gog.com/forum/general_archive/hot_jive_at_frankies_bookstore_the_fifteenth_edition_of_gog_forum_mafia/post19

At the beginning of game #15 Bucket was using a bottle-of-liquor avatar to hint at his role: Mafia Roleblocker (he was a bartender who spiked people's drinks), before changing it to Norman Bates. It has a striking similarity to his game #47 avatar. Could it be a reference? Game #47 was flavourless so Flub might have gone to a previous game where he was mafia for his cryptic hint (the fact that the game was four years previous and that in that game mafia=town and town=mafia (whose idea was that??) helped to make it more cryptic).

Was it a reference Flub?

I understand still that it doesn't actually get us anywhere. But it's nice that flub leaves these cryptic puzzles for us, and probably he deserves to get lynched for it every now and again.

How cryptic is pylon/cylon? He congratulated cristi for getting it (which slightly hints to me that if one of them is scum, the other is not). I've never heard of a traffic cone being called a pylon, and a few others have stated they haven't either. Those that know it as pylon; is it very common to call it so?
bler144: When you're back in tomorrowland...
You're town-ish-reading cristi - got any more clarity on the why? What do you think of Vitek scum-reading her?
You've seen a bit more of trent with today's posts - any clarity there?
ZFR?
It's more of a vibe with cristigale, hence the ??. I'm not sure what to make of Vitek's read on cristigale - I always find Vitek quite inscrutable so I don't have much of a read on him. Since he doesn't give much in the way of reasoning (at least if I've found the right post) I'm not sure.

At the time of my reads post, most of Trentonlf's posts that I remember had been about game mechanics and how they would completely lose their shit if people started claiming. Catching up now there's some interesting takes on ZFR. Townesque so far.

I'm somewhat convinced by Stoke-on-Trentonlf's arguments about ZFR. Their response to being pressed about the random.org thing is interesting and they've taken a small swing to the scummier-side for me.

My previous post in this thread was a specific reply to you and I hadn't actually read most of posts 142-199 at that point. I'm still in the process of catching up and am writing this post in notepad next to my browser window.

HypersomniacLive: You all said that you last played here 4yrs ago. Have you been playing forum/online mafia anywhere else since? If yes, do you mind sharing where?
And have you observed/followed any of the games that took place after you stopped playing here?
Also, have you been playing mafia in the physical world? If yes, do any of you play together?
No, I haven't played any online mafia in the time I wasn't playing here and I'm quite out of practice. I didn't even follow any of the games here so there are a lot of players here who are new to me. I have played mafia in the physical world but probably not much in the last four years. When I used to play in the physical world it frequently included JoeSapphire, littlerabbit and elebutterfly but I've never met Damnation.

Full disclosure, I'm the one who dragged the above three into GOG forum mafia in the first place and I did it again this time.

bler144: hairy eyeball:
SPF
You have no idea how accurate that assessment is.

elebutterfly: Right. Back to read the SEVENTEEN PAGES you guys generated while I was in the Chunnel. Reads List to follow.
Pfft, you need to increase the number of posts per page. This is only page 5 for me! :P

Damnation: Be away for a day due to an MTG Prerelease event and you 'Muricans fill this thread with a 100 posts...
Not everyone here is a mirkin!

unvote bler144

vote ZFR
Thumbs up to cristie for such an in-depth analysis that must have taken a lot of time to go through. I am reading the result as Flub looking scummy? I am unsure that his choice of avatar should be read into that much though, is he the kind if person to risk a cylon-referencing pic if he were a cylon? Should we be lynching someone based on their avatar?
Still reading cristie as town based on the above.

Joe: vaguely indicates that Flub could be mafia because he has been mafia in many games, but this is a terrible argument and he therefore smells a bit of burnt toast to me.
flubbucket: Town arsonist!!! Seriously doesn't anyone understand something sooooo simple. Argh
Ha, you encouraged me to go seek out your roleclaim from that game. Very amusing!

I JUST THOUGHT that if we did lynch Flubbucket for his avatar, and he turned out mafia, his mafioso teammates would probably think it pretty unfair & annoying.
Isn't that right VITEK???

SirPrimalform: Stoke-on-Trentonlf
lololol
littlerabbit: Joe: vaguely indicates that Flub could be mafia because he has been mafia in many games, but this is a terrible argument and he therefore smells a bit of burnt toast to me.
Not at all my intention - you could just have easily have assumed I meant that because he's been mafia more-often-than-is-strictly-polite I would be saying he's less likely to be mafia now. Which would also be unlogicious.
flubbucket: Town arsonist!!! Seriously doesn't anyone understand something sooooo simple. Argh
JoeSapphire: Ha, you encouraged me to go seek out your roleclaim from that game. Very amusing!

I JUST THOUGHT that if we did lynch Flubbucket for his avatar, and he turned out mafia, his mafioso teammates would probably think it pretty unfair & annoying.
Isn't that right VITEK???

SirPrimalform: Stoke-on-Trentonlf
JoeSapphire: lololol
Sorry, that was a typo. I mean Stoke-on-Trent-on-Elf.

I know they're using the controversial "missing E" version of elf but I'm a traditionalist.
JoeSapphire: ............

Was it a reference Flub?

I understand still that it doesn't actually get us anywhere. But it's nice that flub leaves these cryptic puzzles for us, and probably he deserves to get lynched for it every now and again.

How cryptic is pylon/cylon? He congratulated cristi for getting it (which slightly hints to me that if one of them is scum, the other is not). I've never heard of a traffic cone being called a pylon, and a few others have stated they haven't either. Those that know it as pylon; is it very common to call it so?
Well around these parts this is a boot. But across the pond your boot is the trunk of a car. WTF??

So language. Much clear.

Is my avatar a reference to my alignment??

Yes it is. I am town.

Mafia never use pylons.
flubbucket: Well around these parts this is a boot. But across the pond your boot is the trunk of a car. WTF??
your cars have trunks? that don't sound right...

well I'll be blowed.
Was watching the Croatia-Russia game in the pub yesterday, didn't get enough sleep and not feeling too well. But here goes.

trentonlf: Yes, but his third and fourth posts he specifically says he was town before, in the first two he didn't mention anything about alignment. Why mention it unless you are trying to convey "I did this before as town so I must be town now"
My mentioning that I was town didn't come out of nothing. I specifically mentioned that because I was specifically accused by Joe of shutting down discussion being scum-indicative and didn't want my post with refusal to give names to be interpreted as such.
Ditto for random.org accusation. I even wrote in post 120
"And I was replying to the person who wrote that specifically mentioning random.org is scum-indicative: I did that in my only other game and I was town."

In both cases I mentioned I was town to refute a specific accusation ("Action X is scum-indicative"). It wasn't out of thin air: Hey look at me! I did this before when I was town - so I'm town.

Also, while everyone is going: "Hey, remember when Bookwyrm did X in flub's high school smurf game; he was mafia then. (hehehe good times), my previous game is the only one I can refer to; it's a bit sad.

ZFR: OK, since I've never played with power roles I read up on some mafia tutorials. It surprised me how for a quite a few number of them, the strategy suggests to claim early if you're town (yet no one claimed here so far). Is it because of a non-open set up so you shouldn't claim not knowing what other powerroles are there?
bler144: I ISOed your posts in this game, then looked through the QT you linked, and it made me curious so I looked at the actual game a bit. Don't tell HSL I did that though, ok?

You didn't ask this question in your previous game that I can see.

The first game seems odd in certain respects, so I'd cut you some slack in a number of areas moving to what at least appears to be a more standard closed setup, but your game had roles - [url=https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Category:Roles_Main_Page]mason is exactly a role[/url] in much the same way that vanilla is a role.

Need to think about how/whether to proceed with this prior game/this game thing. But I can mostly see what you were trying to do in that game (admittedly, I know your alignment while reading)...
We did discuss about Masons claiming both in the game thread and amongst ourselves in private chat.
I know Mason can be a power role, but in the previous one I was one of them and I knew exactly how many of each where there. Over here I have no idea even what kind of roles to expect and how many of them

bler144: So...lay out how you think this if-then method works iyo. And how do you know which facts are facts, and which are merely gambits/feints/mistakes that others have made because they don't know what your experiment is? How do you know your hypothesis aren't built on pre-conceptions or understanding of setup that turns out not to be true? Again, don't ask about the orc bodyguard story which involved an experiment AND tunneling! Yay!

At some point, even if trying to be methodical, isn't this game more like poker where you have to choose to play the odds, and all your gambits and experiments are simply an attempt to shift the needle on said odds?
Example (off the top of my head; I'm not going to go through the QT to get the specifics): In the previous game I made a case about about trent being a scum and adalia being his buddy by noting some interactions between them: shouting at each other, accusing each other of being scum while at the same time refusing to vote each other, and trent even unvoting adalia. So for a time the duo was reading scum to me.
But it was based on the hypothesis that the interaction between trent and adalia was highly suspicious, and when trent was all of a sudden cleared from being scum, my case against adalia fell too.
Contrast that with mchack's, another mason, method who'd make his reads based on (very good) observations, but would not keep the connections. Instead he'd keep a list of top 3 scummiest players (we assumed there were 3 because 1 died) and if he noticed something scummy about someone, he'd drop the least scummy of the trio and replace him with the new candidate.
For me, I refused to give my "top 3" list because I could be even 1 or 2 or even 6 suspects, regardless of the number of actual scum. In fact the hypotheses against my most scummy players could be contradictory, but that's OK, because if one is proven true, another is automatically proven false.

Of course I can't be 100% sure of which hypotheses are true and not. Figuring that out is the poker part of the game (and in my previous game I made a terrible job of it; almost all my reads turn out to be crap; mchack did a much better job).

(And this is not saying that my method is better or anything; Let each person investigate in whatever way suits them).

littlerabbit: & How can sharing suspicions NOT be helpful to town? (I don't care if it was in another game). At the 13 votes stage, we have to point the gun somewhere.
Wait, I never said that. I said I refuse to make "top 3" lists, not sharing my suspicions/hypotheses.

elebutterfly: Also, for the record, I dislike referencing behaviour in completed games as "proof" someone is town in this one.. what's to prevent a scum player from deliberately copying their own behaviour in a game where they flipped town?
Exactly. Everyone here is intelligent enough to know that if doing X is town-indicative then they should do it. Regardless of their alignment.

----------------------------------------------------

Now a little bit of something else. I almost always, based on my numerous Resistance in-person games, found that "be-friendly-to-newbs" is a sure scum tactic. Which makes me lean town on trent (though we played before; I'm I still a newbie to him?). Not sure about Joe. But bler's behaviour is firing off all the warning bells that friendly-scum adalia did in the previous one. I'm hoping it's just because he is one of the few people here who with whom I was friends outside mafia, but I can't shake that feeling.