It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Licurg: This has probably been asked before, but if someone from a country without dumb laws buys a game censored in Germany, then gives it to a German - is it still censored ?
On what platform?
If you are talking about GOG, then going by the Australian The Witcher 2, no. The gift is redeemed as the one the buyer got, which was either The Witcher 2 or The Witcher 2 (AU). I don't think we had any games that were censored for Germans so far, only games that were not available to them.
tinyE: Wait, so you guys have never seen "Raiders of the Lost Ark"?
Lifthrasil: No. We have seen it. You see, it is totally OK to show swastikas in movies. Or in history books. Or in comics. But not in computer games. Isn't that totally logical?
You might want to add that Raiders carries the equivalent of an R-rating in Germany. As does that one Star Trek episode with Nazis in it.
I don't understand why people (from Germany) are hating against gog now?! I heard several times that the EXACT same games were "deleted" for germans on Steam, a few weeks ago. Coincidence? I don't think so. Probably some institution from Germany wrote to them, saying that they have to delete these games for Germans, because these games are forbidden?!

I'm only guessing obviously, but I really don't get these people saying "gog is killing it's German market." Why would GoG (or also Steam) delete several games for some countries?
Less games = Less money. So the only reason I see, is like I already said, that a law in Germany is forbidding their selling.
Licurg: This has probably been asked before, but if someone from a country without dumb laws buys a game censored in Germany, then gives it to a German - is it still censored ?
JMich: On what platform?
If you are talking about GOG, then going by the Australian The Witcher 2, no. The gift is redeemed as the one the buyer got, which was either The Witcher 2 or The Witcher 2 (AU). I don't think we had any games that were censored for Germans so far, only games that were not available to them.
I was asking about GOG, of course.
Pawel1995: I don't understand why people (from Germany) are hating against gog now?! I heard several times that the EXACT same games were "deleted" for germans on Steam, a few weeks ago. Coincidence? I don't think so. Probably some institution from Germany wrote to them, saying that they have to delete these games for Germans, because these games are forbidden?!

I'm only guessing obviously, but I really don't get these people saying "gog is killing it's German market." Why would GoG (or also Steam) delete several games for some countries?
Less games = Less money. So the only reason I see, is like I already said, that a law in Germany is forbidding their selling.
Because it would be completely legal to sell those games to adults in germany with a working age verification.
You can't blame GOG for stupid desicions of a institution but you can blame them for not implementing something like that.
JinKazaragi: but you can blame them for not implementing something like that.
There was a discussion that included cost of implementation, and it seems that postident costs about €7.5 per account verification, while giropay-id costs €0.49 per verification. Assuming the numbers are correct and considering GOG's cut is 30%, GOG would need to sell €25 worth of indexed content per postident user to recoup the postident cost, and only then would they start making a profit. It is possible that the publishers would agree to recoup some of the costs, but considering most of them just make the game unavailable, I do doubt it.
If the numbers are correct, giropay-id may be a better choice.
JinKazaragi: but you can blame them for not implementing something like that.
JMich: There was a discussion that included cost of implementation, and it seems that postident costs about €7.5 per account verification, while giropay-id costs €0.49 per verification. Assuming the numbers are correct and considering GOG's cut is 30%, GOG would need to sell €25 worth of indexed content per postident user to recoup the postident cost, and only then would they start making a profit. It is possible that the publishers would agree to recoup some of the costs, but considering most of them just make the game unavailable, I do doubt it.
If the numbers are correct, giropay-id may be a better choice.
It wouldn't be problem with giropayid (and I thinkt he postid price is lower than that a german magazine used it to verify the age of those who want the free game and considering the magazine costs about 6€ it would make much sense if it were that expensive), it would mean every veryfied user had to buy about 2€ worth of games and most who verify will most likely spend way more than that.
They don't have to pay for those who don't verify it.
so I don't see a problem with implementing something like that.
JinKazaragi: so I don't see a problem with implementing something like that.
Beside manpower, processing power and the money gog has to invest just to realize it?
classicgogger: Beside manpower, processing power and the money gog has to invest just to realize it?
I explained the issue with the money in the post you quoted.
As for processing a manpower, it's mainly done by giropay and not by GOG, GOG only gets the confirmaton from giropay they have to change a few things on the site once once they got the confirmation the account can be automatically set to "adult" and that's all it's not that much effort.
And you seem to forget about the lost sales because the german cutomers are blocked.
Ah, shit, my fault. I hate those conversations so I tend to keep them short.
Longer story:

JinKazaragi: I explained the issue with the money in the post you quoted.
Not what I was talking about. There needs to be a system in place. Doing it manually would be too costly and too slow.

JinKazaragi: As for processing a manpower, it's mainly done by giropay and not by GOG, GOG only gets the confirmaton from giropay they have to change a few things on the site once once they got the confirmation the account can be automatically set to "adult" and that's all it's not that much effort.
Which means GOG needs manpower to do it. Doesn't change my argument at all.

JinKazaragi: And you seem to forget about the lost sales because the german cutomers are blocked.
No I don't. I totally understand it. It's just not worth the effort. It doesn't stop by implementing an age verification system like postid/ giropay (which takes times and money). All that crap needs to be stored. Secure and fast (which again means time and money). Problems with any verifications will end up at your shiny GOG Support Team. No, It's not their problem or fault, but all complains will be directed at them (which... means manpower, time, money, unicorns).
Post edited June 23, 2016 by classicgogger
classicgogger: Beside manpower, processing power and the money gog has to invest just to realize it?
if this is really a problem of processing power I'll eat my hat.
it's not 1998 any more
classicgogger: Ah, shit, my fault. I hate those conversations so I tend to keep them short.
Longer story:

JinKazaragi: I explained the issue with the money in the post you quoted.
classicgogger: Not what I was talking about. There needs to be a system in place. Doing it manually would be too costly and too slow.

JinKazaragi: As for processing a manpower, it's mainly done by giropay and not by GOG, GOG only gets the confirmaton from giropay they have to change a few things on the site once once they got the confirmation the account can be automatically set to "adult" and that's all it's not that much effort.
classicgogger: Which means GOG needs manpower to do it. Doesn't change my argument at all.

JinKazaragi: And you seem to forget about the lost sales because the german cutomers are blocked.
classicgogger: No I don't. I totally understand it. It's just not worth the effort. It doesn't stop by implementing an age verification system like postid/ giropay (which takes times and money). All that crap needs to be stored. Secure and fast (which again means time and money). Problems with any verifications will end up at your shiny GOG Support Team. No, It's not their problem or fault, but all complains will be directed at them (which... means manpower, time, money, unicorns).
Brand loyalty isn't worth anything these days?
Every game here offers all localisations to Germans if they have it in their library. Some German versions may be censored but so they are for you and everyone else. Nothing has changed in this regard, only now some games are not being sold to German IPs. If you are talking about censorship on GOG in Germany, then it can only mean GOG not showing the games to people using a German IP if they don't already have the game in their library.

The only real censored versions on GOG (that don't include the uncensored product) that I have heard of are Witcher 2 in Australia and Witcher 3 in the Middle East. If you're gifted these, they are censored regardless of your region, I think.
Post edited June 23, 2016 by 0Grapher
Lin545: Simpler - I don't work for government (and never had). I also don't work for that newspaper or shooting range owner. I think you can figure out the rest. :)

If you work for government btw, that would likewise be useless, because I don't and this is public forum. xD
No, I can't. I don't understand what you are trying to say.
0Grapher: No, I can't. I don't understand what you are trying to say.
Using speculative logic you want me to excuse for speculations from third sources. We can speculate on that. =) Stuff is not facts, but fact is - Germany together with Belgium are firearm producers and also industry centers. As such I rely on what people that own guns tell me rather than random guy who uses logic on speculations. But you don't have to agree with me. If you want - go ahead and throw some facts, like official amount of gun owners, illegal included.