It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Update 1.2 brings Universal Cloud Saves, the option to fully customize the Client to your needs, and much more!

NOTICE: The update is now live for everyone. Make sure to check it out and tell us what you think!

GOG Galaxy, our gamer-friendly Client, is coming out of beta with a major new update that greatly improves and enriches the user experience by introducing many long-awaited features. Let's take a closer look at some of them:

The highlight of Update 1.2 is, of course, the Universal Cloud Saves. This new feature makes it possible to add cloud saving functionality not only to new games but also to titles that never offered cloud saving before. Thanks to this, excellent games like Planescape: Torment, Heroes of Might & Magic® III, or Vampire®: the Masquerade - Bloodlines gain the benefits of saves syncing and cloud backup for the first time ever. Of course, if you prefer to keep your precious saves close at hand, your data is still saved locally for you to use, while GOG Galaxy also lets you download a backup of your saves at any time.

This huge Update introduces the option to customize the Client to your needs by selecting which features you want to use. In addition, there is a brand new hibernate mode that cuts down on Client CPU usage while playing a game and saves resources as well as battery life when idling in the background. We also went through the GOG Galaxy community wishlist and packed Update 1.2 with some of the most-requested features, including bandwidth limiting and scheduling, FPS counter, screenshot capturing, a sleek in-game overlay, achievement rarity, desktop and in-game notifications system, a new chat, and more!

The GOG Galaxy Update 1.2 is now available for all users. To download GOG Galaxy or see what’s new and improved visit <span class="bold">GOG.com/Galaxy</span>.
If you run into any issues, feel free to submit them <span class="bold">here</span>.
Jotamide: With cloud saves across all games, I can finally consider moving over Steam for good. :)
Careful - cloud save will only be available for games that are updated. So far it is not known if GOG will update all games to suppotrt cloud save.
MajesticMoose75: What about the GOG Downloader? Will it be gone? I like it better than the Galaxy crap. Seems DRM-y to me.
Since the GOG downloader Links are still accessable through the website I highly dount that they will be gone and GOG never announced that they are planning to remove them afaik (if they'd wanted to remove them they could have done so months ago). I really hope I am correct since I also prefer the GOG downloader. But calling Galaxy DRMy imo is a bit too much since you don't need Galaxy to download a game - simply use your browser.
Post edited March 23, 2017 by MarkoH01
MarkoH01: Of course it will still be possible to do this. "auto update" only means that the game is, well automatically updated without any questions asked. Turning it off does not mean that it is impossible to update it but simply that this won't happen automatically. You'd still get the message "update available" and the possibility to update it.
anothername: Thanks for clearing that up! For me thats perfect; I do not need any autoupdate whatsoever :)
I turned auto updates off to see what the game page would look like. To tell the truth: Now I am not sure if I am correct. In theory it should work the way I said (given what "auto update" means ect.) but given how the game page looks it suggests that there won't be any updates at all if auto update is turned off which would be another fail imo! Take a look at the attached screenshot. Maybe Johny can clear this up.
Attachments:
update.jpg (287 Kb)
anothername: Thanks for clearing that up! For me thats perfect; I do not need any autoupdate whatsoever :)
MarkoH01: I turned auto updates off to see what the game page would look like. To tell the truth: Now I am not sure if I am correct. In theory it should work the way I said (given what "auto update" means ect.) but given how the game page looks it suggests that there won't be any updates at all if auto update is turned off which would be another fail imo! Take a look at the attached screenshot. Maybe Johny can clear this up.
You could try to rollback to a previous version and then reapply an update. I'd rather not suggest a GB monster like W3 for such an experiment ;)
So, when will Penumbra Requiem and SiN Gold be usable in Galaxy? It's been a mighty long time to get those games in there...

And while I'm complaining, it seems the option to set a different download path for backups and extras has been removed...
Post edited March 23, 2017 by RawSteelUT
MajesticMoose75: Thank you BKGaming and HunchBluntley! [...]
No problem! We meese have to stick together, you know. ;)

MajesticMoose75: [...] Love your guys' names btw! [...]
Thanks. :)

MajesticMoose75: You can download the installers from the Galaxy, and install them anywhere. Go to your game library, click on the arrow, and click on the "backup". It'll have a page special for downloading the games. Cheers! Hope that makes sence! contact me if it doesn't. Edit: I prefer Downloader, but looks like it's going away. Even clicking on links from it goes to empty pages. Sad times. At least we can download installers from Galaxy.
You know you can download them right in your web browser too, right?

And if you're not interested in using Galaxy as anything more than a downloader for the standalone installers, you might want to look into some third-party download managers (such as DownThemAll! for Firefox). Quite a few people happily use one of those as an alternative to or replacement for the legacy GOG Downloader. :)
Woah, saves. Finally.
high rated
amurgaming: Steam is okay I guess. [...] I'd say it's DRM done right.
DRM is never "right".
BKGaming: You can do the same exact thing you use the GOG Downloader to do with Galaxy (ie download standalone installers if you wish).
It's far from "the same exact thing", since Galaxy downloads everything blindly, whereas Downloader only downloads new stuff (using checksums, I believe).

This is especially important given GOG's seeming inability to correlate version numbers displayed on download web pages to version information embedded in the file names.

As broken and "unsupported" as Downloader is, for me it's the only way I can maintain my sizeable collection of GOG stuff. When i see an update flag, I just add everything for that game to the Downloader queue (after navigating the silly account pages to find the links now that they've been made secondary citizens), then examine the folder to see what's got a new timestamp.
mvscot: It's far from "the same exact thing", since Galaxy downloads everything blindly, whereas Downloader only downloads new stuff (using checksums, I believe).
No idea about how 1.2.0 handles it, but 1.1.30 didn't do that.
I am using gogrepo.py to download my collection, and there were times when I wasn't sure if I'd have enough time to download the 4GB .bin file of some games, so I'd end up having all but one .bin file downloaded. Properly setting the download folders in Galaxy meant I could add the game's backup installer in the download queue, and it would only download the missing .bin file, not everything. And unlike gogrepo.py, Galaxy does support pausing and resuming.

If the downloader works for you, all is well. But a couple of years ago when I was using it every Friday to keep the files up to date, it did cause me quite a few headaches. But even back then, my collection was in the few hundred games.
Anyone else finding that loading the games in library seems to take a while? Like a minute or two to load up?
adaliabooks: Anyone else finding that loading the games in library seems to take a while? Like a minute or two to load up?
Are you talking on the initial loading of the library, when you first start Galaxy, or in general?
adaliabooks: Anyone else finding that loading the games in library seems to take a while? Like a minute or two to load up?
JudasIscariot: Are you talking on the initial loading of the library, when you first start Galaxy, or in general?
Opening up a new game from the library.

But actually it seems a bit better now that I've let it load properly once, when I played around with it yesterday none of the games were loading at all (just a spinning circle in the button) but I put it down to having just updated.
I tried to open FTL before and it took a couple of minutes to load properly, but now the other games seem fine (there is a little delay, but nothing too annoying)
mvscot: It's far from "the same exact thing", since Galaxy downloads everything blindly, whereas Downloader only downloads new stuff (using checksums, I believe).
JMich: No idea about how 1.2.0 handles it, but 1.1.30 didn't do that.
[...] it would only download the missing .bin file, not everything.
Hmm, maybe it has been improved (can anyone confirm? I can't see any mention in available changelogs) - it looks like it's been a year already since I last tried it (my notes say 1.19 (not 1.1.19), which looks like a higher version number than 1.1 or 1.2 to me....

EDIT: just tested it with 1.1.30, and it still blindly re-downloads.
Post edited March 23, 2017 by mvscot
adaliabooks: I haven't tried it yet. Assuming it works it's a handy feature to have.

Might play around with it later this week if I have a chance and I'll let you know.
almabrds: Much obliged.
Not sure how best to test it really, but since I have D:OS installed and a decent amount of saves in it I tried that. Just opened it up and closed it again. The first sync took a few minutes (as expected really) but repeating the process (without making any new saves) only took a few seconds to sync.
I downloaded the manual save backup to see and it's all there (I backed up the saves myself before hand and what you download is exactly the same as what I'd backed up myself).

So yeah, seems to work and is reasonably unobtrusive.
mvscot: EDIT: just tested it with 1.1.30, and it still blindly re-downloads.
I did mention properly setting the download folders, right? If your temp is different from the download one, it won't find any files already downloaded. Leaving them at the default also has the same issue.