It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Update 1.2 brings Universal Cloud Saves, the option to fully customize the Client to your needs, and much more!

NOTICE: The update is now live for everyone. Make sure to check it out and tell us what you think!

GOG Galaxy, our gamer-friendly Client, is coming out of beta with a major new update that greatly improves and enriches the user experience by introducing many long-awaited features. Let's take a closer look at some of them:

The highlight of Update 1.2 is, of course, the Universal Cloud Saves. This new feature makes it possible to add cloud saving functionality not only to new games but also to titles that never offered cloud saving before. Thanks to this, excellent games like Planescape: Torment, Heroes of Might & Magic® III, or Vampire®: the Masquerade - Bloodlines gain the benefits of saves syncing and cloud backup for the first time ever. Of course, if you prefer to keep your precious saves close at hand, your data is still saved locally for you to use, while GOG Galaxy also lets you download a backup of your saves at any time.

This huge Update introduces the option to customize the Client to your needs by selecting which features you want to use. In addition, there is a brand new hibernate mode that cuts down on Client CPU usage while playing a game and saves resources as well as battery life when idling in the background. We also went through the GOG Galaxy community wishlist and packed Update 1.2 with some of the most-requested features, including bandwidth limiting and scheduling, FPS counter, screenshot capturing, a sleek in-game overlay, achievement rarity, desktop and in-game notifications system, a new chat, and more!

The GOG Galaxy Update 1.2 is now available for all users. To download GOG Galaxy or see what’s new and improved visit <span class="bold">GOG.com/Galaxy</span>.
If you run into any issues, feel free to submit them <span class="bold">here</span>.
GOG.com: ...

This huge Update introduces the option to customize the Client to your needs by selecting which features you want to use.
anothername: While I do not care for cloud saves the slightest; does that mean we can set it up to have autoupdate turned off by default instead of micromanaging each game mnually to turn it off after install? If yes: Awesome!

(if no: ...meh :P )
If you turn off autoupdate in general you cannot manage it for specific games anymore. So you need to have it turned on even if you only want it toi be turned on for specific games.
Post edited March 22, 2017 by MarkoH01
n/a
Post edited March 25, 2017 by gamefreddyfish
KevanFAS: still achievements can't be disabled.
and it prevents me from using it.
Actually you can disable them now in the 1.2 update.
MarkoH01: If you turn off autoupdate in general you cannot manage it for specific games anymore. So you need to have it turned on even if you only want it toi be turned on for specific games.
That's somewhat annoying... I'd like to be able to turn it off for most but leave it on for some... :/
Impaler26: Can you now turn off the auto-update for your installed games?
Yes and no. You already could set the auto update feature for every game seperately. Now you can do this or turn off auto update completely. If you deactivate the auto update checkbox there is no way to activate it for specific games. Some great design decisions were made here forcing the user to decide instead of leaving things optional. The missing extra save path and the missing option to minimize the client that were in the beta are already mentioned. I say it again: in THEORY this is great and what GOG says in the OP would be great too. BUT unfortunately much of it simply is not true, not working or simply now missing. I really wonder why GOG is absent in this thread to comment on the things said here.
MarkoH01: If you turn off autoupdate in general you cannot manage it for specific games anymore. So you need to have it turned on even if you only want it toi be turned on for specific games.
adaliabooks: That's somewhat annoying... I'd like to be able to turn it off for most but leave it on for some... :/
You still can but for this to work you would have to enable auto update and then turn it off for specific games - basically the same as it was in the beta release. The correct way to implement this feature would have been to simply use the checkbox as the default option without taking the users possibility to change it for specific games. You can really see that the people on GOG are not good with UI design.

And while I am on ranting about the bad decisions and design: if you decide to introduce how many percent of people have achieved which achievement it would be much better if you would also SORT them.

1) FPS Counter only visible in overlay -> useless
2) Cloud save taking much too long (stopped after 10 minutes) without possibility to abort - only way is to quit Galaxy. Still no explantion if the saves are only in cloud or local as well. If the latter would be the case why is there a method for backup saves mentioned in the OP and where is this option?
3) Lost possibility do assign download path for extras and backup.
4) Calling game overlay in some games leads to bugs. In games which don't support Galaxy the user should not even be able to call the overlay to prevent those bugs.
5) Autoupdate feature turned off prevents the user to turn it on for specific games.
6) No possibility to assign a download path for screenshots.
7) Lost possibility to decide if close should minimize or close the client.
8) Achievement percentage not sorted.

All those problems and I did not even test this thoroughly :(
MarkoH01: You still can but for this to work you would have to enable auto update and then turn it off for specific games - basically the same as it was in the beta release. The correct way to implement this feature would have been to simply use the checkbox as the default option without taking the users possibility to change it for specific games. You can really see that the people on GOG are not good with UI design.
Yeah, hopefully now that it's there at all they will implement it that way eventually. For now I'll probably just stick to manually updating everything.
high rated
Holy crap. Cloud saves. This may actually help me through some great games that take me longer than HDDs live.

Did they ever get around to galaxy in Linux?

Edit:. And i see the answer is no.
Post edited March 22, 2017 by Tallima
How come Deus Ex 1 has achievements in Galaxy. Does this mean that the release of Revision is near?
Post edited March 22, 2017 by Kayx291
high rated
I feel like a grumpy old man when I say I have no use for achievements or cloud saves, or Galaxy to be honest, but it's the truth. I still prefer the classic offline installers and Hamachi whenever I want to play something "online".

Still, I'll be happy to see Galaxy get a Linux version... someday.
high rated
No Linux? Bummer. Still waiting.
Wishbone: Why doesn't it simply do both? This sounds like if I start a game that uses cloud saves, and I want to continue it later at a time when I won't have an internet connection, I have to remember to manually download a backup of my save data beforehand. If this is the case, the cloud save functionality seems pretty useless.
Johny.: If you'll play offline - Galaxy Client will sync your saves later when you're online.
You can just download your cloud saves as a backup to a single folder - as an additional feature.
Does this mean that no matter if you are offline or online the game will be saved in the regular (game assigned) folder as well?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLUUifu2WAs
MarkoH01: [...]
BUT unfortunately much of it simply is not true, not working or simply now missing. I really wonder why GOG is absent in this thread to comment on the things said here.
Well, did you really expect Galaxy to work properly as advertised in the OP? We're talking about GOG. ;)

For me there's still no reason to use Galaxy even if those bugs and missing features get fixed one day. I just hope that it will really stay optional.
Thanks GOG. Globally turning off updates and the bandwidth throttle are features I really wanted.

I'll stick with my own cloud saving solution, but Galaxy's seems to work well enough in comparison to Steam and Origin.

There's a lot of limitations already pointed out by other users, so i'm not going to bother. But i'm sure someone is reading all this and making a list. ;)
Wow that's awesome !

I just wish we'd have more games from Steam with GOG Connect [Factorio please !]