It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Do you have what it takes to survive this chaos?

We’ve gathered a plethora of great roguelike and survival games that invite you to take up the challenge and try out, just how good you are at staying alive. With Git Gud Sale you better get good, and snatch these games for up to 90% off!

Put your skills to the test with:
Outlast (-85%)
The Walking Dead: The Telltale Definitive Series (-66%)
Dwarven Skykeep (-50%)
Tomb Raider GOTY (-80%)
Mainframe Defenders (-85%)
MOTHERGUNSHIP (-80%)
…and many more – all waiting HERE.

A variety of incredible, challenging titles – now, on a Git Good Sale. There's nothing like a thrill of a good old roguelike or survival game, so get your skills up and finally get good! The sale lasts until October 16th, 9:30 PM UTC.
high rated
GOG.com: Git Gud Sale – you better get good with these games
Always despised the "git gud" meme.
How about you make your games accessible for all sorts of gamers, instead?
BreOl72: Always despised the "git gud" meme.
This. Of course this is just another almost random name for a sale, so it doesn't really matter, but still, it's one of those things that just irk me to no end.
high rated
Eh. I don't see anything wrong with making games to be challenging as long as they're upfront about it. Not every game needs to be for everyone. That's how you get a lot of the homogenous, generic, boring soup of big budget games that tend to be a lot of the AAAs today.

That said, a lot of the games in this sale (most?) don't even seem to belong with this theming. Just another GOG sale then. *shrug*
Post edited October 09, 2023 by P-E-S
P-E-S: Eh. I don't see anything wrong with making games to be challenging as long as they're upfront about it. Not every game needs to be for everyone. That's how you get a lot of the homogenous, generic, boring soup of big budget games that tend to be a lot of the AAAs today.
1. I don't think difficulty is much of a factor in that. It's a matter of writing, art, setting, mechanics, but not difficulty. Ramping up the difficulty on another Call of Duty: Ultramodern Hyperwarfare won't make it less generic.

2. "Challenging" is inherently subjective. What's challenging for one person may be too easy for another, and straight up impossible for the next, and neither is desireable. Thus obviously the sensible way is to provide a choice of difficulties and leave it up to the player.

3. The "git gud" thing doesn't describe the notion of games being challenging, but rather an asshole "lol, you suck n00b" attitude.
Post edited October 09, 2023 by Breja
If you really want this sale to Git Gud, how about getting Rise and Shadow of the Tom Raider on GOG to complete the survival trilogy?
Post edited October 09, 2023 by wolfsite
P-E-S: Eh. I don't see anything wrong with making games to be challenging as long as they're upfront about it. Not every game needs to be for everyone.
Problem with this approach is that you shut people out that would love to play these games. I never understood why a difficulty OPTION could be a bad thing. If you dislike it, don't use it. Many people simply don't have the time to practice a video game each day and imo it's a shame that they can't play these games at all. Celeste is a challenging platformer that did it right. Many people out there tried to beat it without any of the additional optional help settings enabled ... I tried it myself and it bacame extremely frustrating for me in the later gameplay. I would have given up completely on the game if it weren't for those help options so I was lucky that they were available. Meanwhile others still were able to finish their hardcore run ... so nobody lost anything.

Regarding this sale: How do you "git gud" in the Walking Dead? It's a choice based game with no right and wrong and also mostly only the illusion of choices so the story will basically remain the same no matter what. If GOG does not care if a certain game would fit the theme why don't they just put number on their sales? This is "sale number 54" i.e. ON the other hand imo there's no need at all to put a nametag on everything. We only care about the discounts anyway ;)

Edit: I just took a closer look at the offers. So Grime (which fits the theme perfectly though imo it is one of the fairest hard gamnes I played in a long time) is NOT on sale - only the OST and the score of the game ... so git gud in listening or what?
Post edited October 09, 2023 by MarkoH01
Not a single Soulslike? Really? THE genre that popularized the "git gud" meme. TR 2013,one of the easiest games I have ever played,come on.
that is a strange selection for a "git gud" theme though :D I mean I'd have expected at least The Surge or something
MarkoH01: why don't they just put number on their sales? This is "sale number 54" i.e. ON the other hand imo there's no need at all to put a nametag on everything. We only care about the discounts anyway ;)
I disagree. Remember the period a couple of years ago, during which GOG was experimenting with providing no text at all to describe new game announcements and/or games on sale?

That was absolutely terrible, and it was destroying interest in game announcements and sales on GOG, and also the GOG brand as a whole.

Inaccurate and/or inappropriate descriptions for sales, and the games in them, are still far better than would be instead to have no descriptions.
Post edited October 09, 2023 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
Git Gud...

How do you do fellow kids?
git gud. the last thing we need is more dumbed down games.
I enjoy soulslikes, which is why I'm disappointed and baffled that there aren't more of them in this promotion.
MarkoH01: why don't they just put number on their sales? This is "sale number 54" i.e. ON the other hand imo there's no need at all to put a nametag on everything. We only care about the discounts anyway ;)
Ancient-Red-Dragon: I disagree. Remember the period a couple of years ago, during which GOG was experimenting with providing no text at all to describe new game announcements and/or games on sale?

That was absolutely terrible, and it was destroying interest in game announcements and sales on GOG, and also the GOG brand as a whole.

Inaccurate and/or inappropriate descriptions for sales, and the games in them, are still far better than would be instead to have no descriptions.
So you are telling me that you are not interested in a good discount if the sale itself does not have a cool name? Well, that's up to you - but I find it hard to believe that many see it this way. I do agree that they should still describe what it is you ar actually buying but if you don't mind wrong sale names we could as well call each sale "football sale" and call it a day. Imo names are not as important as content - descriptions are part of the content (otherwise we would not know what the offer even is) - names aren't.

Raf..: git gud. the last thing we need is more dumbed down games.
There's a difference between "dumbed down" and accessible.
Post edited October 09, 2023 by MarkoH01
Breja: 1. I don't think difficulty is much of a factor in that. It's a matter of writing, art, setting, mechanics, but not difficulty. Ramping up the difficulty on another Call of Duty: Ultramodern Hyperwarfare won't make it less generic.

2. "Challenging" is inherently subjective. What's challenging for one person may be too easy for another, and straight up impossible for the next, and neither is desireable. Thus obviously the sensible way is to provide a choice of difficulties and leave it up to the player.
Difficulty can be used as a conscious, artistic choice if you want to depict a harsh world or just offer a good challenge, it's not just ramping up some numbers, a realistic CoD (something like Tarkov) would obviously have more identity

And no, it's not subjective at all, otherwise hardcore games would not have that reputation of being hard. Sure, you can find a supposedly challenging game easy, but that's probably because you already have a ton of experience with the genre and/or mechanics, but it's still designed to be tough

So really, just git gud