It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hey, GOGgers,

We're not perfect, we're exploring new frontiers, and we make mistakes. We thought DRM-Free was so important that you'd prefer we bring you more DRM-Free games and Fair Price was less critical and that it could be sacrificed in some cases. The last two week's worth of comments in our forums (nearly 10k!), show that's not the case. We didn’t listen and we let you down. We shouldn't sacrifice one of our core values in an attempt to advance another. We feel bad about that, and we're sorry. Us being sorry is not of much use to you, so let’s talk about how we will fix it.

One: DRM-free forever. Abandoning fixed regional pricing means it will probably take longer to get some games, but you've made it clear that sacrificing fair pricing for more DRM-free games isn't acceptable.

Two: We will adamantly continue to fight for games with flat worldwide pricing. If that fails and we are required to have regional prices, we will make up the difference for you out of our own pockets. For now it will be with $5.99 and $9.99 game codes. In a couple of months, once we have such functionality implemented, we will give you store credit instead, which then you will be able to use towards any purchase and cover the price of it in full or partially. Effectively gamers from all around the world will be able to benefit from the US prices.

This will apply to every single game where we do not have flat pricing, such as Age of Wonders 3 (full details here), Divinity: Original Sin, and The Witcher 3. If you remember the Fair Price Package for The Witcher 2, this will be exactly the same.

Three: We still intend to introduce the pricing in local currencies. Let us explain why we want to do it and how we want to make it fair for everyone. From the very beginning our intention was to make things easier for users whose credit cards/payment systems are not natively in USD. The advantages are simple because the price is more understandable and easier to relate to. There would be no exchange rates involved, no transaction fees, and no other hidden charges. However after reading your comments, we realized we have taken an important element away: the choice. In order to fix this, we'll offer the option of paying in the local currency or the equivalent in USD. This way, how you pay is always your choice.

Four: You are what matters, and we will be sure to involve you all more in what we're doing and why we're doing it. Let's start by meeting you at GDC - we’d like to invite you to meet us face-to-face Monday the 17th at GDC. Obviously, not all of you can come to San Francisco, so we want to invite all of you to an online event with us early in April to ask us whatever you would like. More details soon.

The bottom line is simple: there may be companies that won't work with us (although we will work hard to convince the most stubborn ones ;). Yes, it means we might miss out on some games, but at the same time GOG.com will remain true to its values and will keep on offering you the best of DRM-free gaming with Fair Prices.

Once again thank you for caring so much about GOG.com. We will work hard not to disappoint you again.

--Marcin "iWi" Iwinski & Guillaume "TheFrenchMonk" Rambourg
Good. Very happy about this. Thank you for listening and appreciating us.

Also some slimy sad news for Canadians our new games are expecting to get a bump in price of $5 - $10. :/
You can rarely see a company like You guys these days.. Fair and really listening to its costumers in a true personal way... I <3 you guys
kaileeena: It seems you are the one who don't know what GOG stands for. If you ever checked any of their interviews or videos, they were defining themselves by 2 things:
1) One world, one price
2) DRM free

For some reason as you don't care about regional pricing, you decided that GOG was defined by DRM-free only. With regional pricing, its still you take it or leave it, if you live in Australia or Japan or other affected places. If everyone is using regional pricing, you can't buy your games except over-priced , same as if all DD sells games with DRM, then to play games you have to use DRM. You argument means you decided DRM-free is more important to you which is fine but the wrong part is you are assuming it is same for everyone.
It does not matter one bit how GOG defines themselves... I was referring to how consumers see them. So please read what I said.

If you ask anyone online or gamers in general a majority are going to tell you one of two things as to how they see GOG... a place for DRM free games, or a place for old games that work on modern systems. This is how consumers see them. Even GOG was surprised that so many cared about flat regional pricing... because it's not how consumers really see them. Again you can argue that all you want, but it still remains. It is simply a nice bonus that GOG offered such as the bonuses they offer with each game.

I never claimed DRM free is more important to everyone over regional pricing, so again if your going to claim such things please read what I actually wrote. I said regional pricing =/= DRM, because it doesn't. Regional pricing still gives the consumer choices, it still gives the consumer the ability to decide if something is still worth it if there being overcharged for it because not every game has the exact amount of regional pricing. DRM doesn't give a choice, it doesn't deactivate after so long... it can literally keep you from playing a game you bought after a few years. Regional pricing doesn't effect your game that you bought, it may effect your pocket but not your game. IF you think it's overpriced, that is a choice YOU should make and then show that by not buying and waiting for a sale. There is no sale equivalent for DRM... there is no we'll offer a better deal later sort of thing... it's typically forever once it's there. Apples to oranges.

I also never said regional pricing isn't important to me either. I don't agree with it and do care, and find it unfair for the same digital product to cost more in other places. I however feel it's a necessary evil to continue the overall goal of DRM free gaming being a standard in the gaming industry and for GOG to move forward as a business. You can't win all the battles I'm afraid.

Some people just see the "I got to pay more" and don't see the overall goal of "I get more choices and I can keep my game I bought forever without any big publishers deciding for me how I can and can't use the product I paid for".

Really can't believe a majority of GOG users wouldn't pay more for the next Mario or the next Minecraft... games that in 20 years will be classics and games could be lost to time because DRM free isn't standard of the gaming industry. Is it really worth standing in front of that goal for $5 or $10 extra in most cases?

And at the end of the day there really is no such thing as fair world pricing... sure some places may end of paying more, but chances are that those places also has higher minimal wage than US so it's not exactly a fair 1:1 ratio is it [even if you take into account cost of living an such].
Post edited March 16, 2014 by BKGaming
high rated
That is a very good decision. Well done, GOG. Highly appreciated. Seems like you are the GOod Guys after all.
Listening to the users? What a charming, rather rare skill of a company these days.
Most delighted to hear that from my favourite online store.
Nicely done. :D
Have put my money where my mouth is now (gobble-gobble). Bought five new games in one of the offers. Well done GOG :)

KUTGW and don't desert us. You're the only good guys left. Don't change that.
BKGaming: It does not matter one bit how GOG defines themselves... I was referring to how consumers see them. So please read what I said.

If you ask anyone online or gamers in general a majority are going to tell you one of two things as to how they see GOG... a place for DRM free games, or a place for old games that work on modern systems. This is how consumers see them. Even GOG was surprised that so many cared about flat regional pricing... because it's not how consumers really see them. Again you can argue that all you want, but it still remains. It is simply a nice bonus that GOG offered such as the bonuses they offer with each game.
Depends where those gamers are from. I saw that someone found a statement by GOG saying that about half of their users are in the US, a little over a third in the EU and nearly all the rest in Australia. By that, about half of their users, and the ones you'd be familiar with considering where you're from, wouldn't really notice whether they have regional pricing or not, because they see the same prices they see everywhere else, and the only difference is the DRM. The other half, however, would see the fact that the prices are different compared to everywhere else FIRST. I mean, the price is kind of something you notice before installing and playing the game you purchase, you know? (Past that, of course, there are some, likely from wealthier EU countries and perhaps a few also from Australia, who don't care that much about the pricing, and a few from the US who do, purely as a matter of principle. Considering the overall ratio, the total may tip slightly in favor of not caring, as you say, but when half are not in the least affected by it, I hardly find that relevant. If anything, it makes the fact that a very significant minority (going by your assumption) does care all the more relevant.)
BKGaming: Some people just see the "I got to pay more" and don't see the overall goal of "I get more choices and I can keep my game I bought forever without any big publishers deciding for me how I can and can't use the product I paid for".
And some people see the principle and the fact that they (just about) went back on it, regardless of anything else. And others see the fact that there are ways to play a game without paying for it and say you should do so if you oppose a publisher's practices, reserving your support for those who deserve it. So use those ways if you're bothered by DRM, use those ways if you're bothered by regional pricing, don't use them for games that are both DRM free and flatly (or, better yet, actually fairly, but haven't seen that yet) priced.
Saying it again, got tired of it: The only games that wouldn't have been here due to GOG's refusal of regional pricing are games that shouldn't be bought anyway. Same as the ones that won't be here due to their refusal of DRM.
BKGaming: And at the end of the day there really is no such thing as fair world pricing... sure some places may end of paying more, but chances are that those places also has higher minimal wage than US so it's not exactly a fair 1:1 ratio is it [even if you take into account cost of living an such].
Just going by Wikipedia's annual calculation of purchasing power parity (differences are even greater if using actual value, without adjustments), just a quick glance, so better sources welcome:

Taking places with higher prices as EU countries, Australia, New Zealand and Japan, we have this:

Over 50% higher: Luxembourg
Under 50% higher: Australia, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom
Under 50% lower: Malta, Slovenia, Japan, Spain, Greece, Poland, Portugal, Hungary, Croatia
Over 50% lower: Slovakia, Czech Republic, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, Bulgaria, Romania
(The rest not showing, possibly no minimum wage, again if anyone can look into it more it'd be nice.)

8 vs. 16 out of that. So may I laugh?

In other "news", damn, finally managed to finish the post about all of this, but it's HUGE and increasingly messy as it goes, most notably the suggestions part which I somehow managed to persuade myself to write this evening in one go. Consider it an... advanced draft at the moment, I'm sure I'll make corrections, changes, possibly even a few additions, tomorrow, but if anyone is interested, here you go.
The last section, suggesting badges to show the effort the publisher makes towards fair pricing for each game, should probably go over well at least?
Post edited March 16, 2014 by Cavalary
BKGaming: Some people just see the "I got to pay more" and don't see the overall goal of "I get more choices and I can keep my game I bought forever without any big publishers deciding for me how I can and can't use the product I paid for".

Really can't believe a majority of GOG users wouldn't pay more for the next Mario or the next Minecraft... games that in 20 years will be classics and games could be lost to time because DRM free isn't standard of the gaming industry. Is it really worth standing in front of that goal for $5 or $10 extra in most cases?
Unfortunately a lot of people still underestimate the evilness of DRM, even on GOG. They rather pay the full price of the game again later or even risk the game to be lost instead of paying a few bucks more for a DRM-free version now.
Cavalary: Depends where those gamers are from. I saw that someone found a statement by GOG saying that about half of their users are in the US, a little over a third in the EU and nearly all the rest in Australia. By that, about half of their users, and the ones you'd be familiar with considering where you're from, wouldn't really notice whether they have regional pricing or not, because they see the same prices they see everywhere else, and the only difference is the DRM. The other half, however, would see the fact that the prices are different compared to everywhere else FIRST. I mean, the price is kind of something you notice before installing and playing the game you purchase, you know? (Past that, of course, there are some, likely from wealthier EU countries and perhaps a few also from Australia, who don't care that much about the pricing, and a few from the US who do, purely as a matter of principle. Considering the overall ratio, the total may tip slightly in favor of not caring, as you say, but when half are not in the least affected by it, I hardly find that relevant. If anything, it makes the fact that a very significant minority (going by your assumption) does care all the more relevant.)
My point still remains... in general GOG consumers by large know GOG as the company with DRM free games and old games that work on modern computers.

Cavalary: And some people see the principle and the fact that they (just about) went back on it, regardless of anything else. And others see the fact that there are ways to play a game without paying for it and say you should do so if you oppose a publisher's practices, reserving your support for those who deserve it. So use those ways if you're bothered by DRM, use those ways if you're bothered by regional pricing, don't use them for games that are both DRM free and flatly (or, better yet, actually fairly, but haven't seen that yet) priced.
Saying it again, got tired of it: The only games that wouldn't have been here due to GOG's refusal of regional pricing are games that shouldn't be bought anyway. Same as the ones that won't be here due to their refusal of DRM.
Well I was referring to those who want a legal way to purchase games regardless of how you feel about DRM or regional pricing.

Cavalary: Just going by Wikipedia's annual calculation of purchasing power parity (differences are even greater if using actual value, without adjustments), just a quick glance, so better sources welcome:

Taking places with higher prices as EU countries, Australia, New Zealand and Japan, we have this:

Under 50% higher: Australia, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom
Under 50% lower: Malta, Slovenia, Japan, Spain, Greece, Poland, Portugal, Hungary, Croatia
Over 50% lower: Slovakia, Czech Republic, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, Bulgaria, Romania
(The rest not showing, possibly no minimum wage, again if anyone can look into it more it'd be nice.)

In other "news", damn, finally managed to finish the post about all of this, but it's HUGE and increasingly messy as it goes, most notably the suggestions part which I somehow managed to persuade myself to write this evening in one go. Consider it an... advanced draft at the moment, I'm sure I'll make corrections, changes, possibly even a few additions, tomorrow, but if anyone is interested, here you go.
The last section, suggesting badges to show the effort the publisher makes towards fair pricing for each game, should probably go over well at least?
I really don't have anymore to say on this issue honestly, but the first rule of quoting a source is to never quote Wikipedia. My main point still remains there is no such thing as fair pricing... why should someone in a poor country pay the same as someone in a wealthy country that makes a lot more? Surely a countries economy and wealth should be taken into account? It's the same as asking why two copies of the same game are two different prices in two different countries. Nothing in life is fair.
BKGaming: Well I was referring to those who want a legal way to purchase games regardless of how you feel about DRM or regional pricing.
Filing this under "irreconcilable differences", definitely. You're not going to change the behavior of corporations unless you hit them where it hurts, which is the bottom line, and in case of digital media it's actually very easy to do so.
BKGaming: My main point still remains there is no such thing as fair pricing... why should someone in a poor country pay the same as someone in a wealthy country that makes a lot more?
It is, however, definitely fairer than the person in the poor country paying more. And it does make sense if you think of the product itself, it's the same stream of bits after all, without local costs factored in, as would be the case of physical goods.
ScareYa: Seems like you are the GOod Guys after all.
Interesting use of "GOG" there! I like it. Hopefully they stay being the GOod Guys.
Cavalary: Depends where those gamers are from. I saw that someone found a statement by GOG saying that about half of their users are in the US, a little over a third in the EU and nearly all the rest in Australia. By that, about half of their users, and the ones you'd be familiar with considering where you're from, wouldn't really notice whether they have regional pricing or not, because they see the same prices they see everywhere else, and the only difference is the DRM. The other half, however, would see the fact that the prices are different compared to everywhere else FIRST. I mean, the price is kind of something you notice before installing and playing the game you purchase, you know? (Past that, of course, there are some, likely from wealthier EU countries and perhaps a few also from Australia, who don't care that much about the pricing, and a few from the US who do, purely as a matter of principle. Considering the overall ratio, the total may tip slightly in favor of not caring, as you say, but when half are not in the least affected by it, I hardly find that relevant. If anything, it makes the fact that a very significant minority (going by your assumption) does care all the more relevant.)
BKGaming: My point still remains... in general GOG consumers by large know GOG as the company with DRM free games and old games that work on modern computers.

Cavalary: And some people see the principle and the fact that they (just about) went back on it, regardless of anything else. And others see the fact that there are ways to play a game without paying for it and say you should do so if you oppose a publisher's practices, reserving your support for those who deserve it. So use those ways if you're bothered by DRM, use those ways if you're bothered by regional pricing, don't use them for games that are both DRM free and flatly (or, better yet, actually fairly, but haven't seen that yet) priced.
BKGaming: Well I was referring to those who want a legal way to purchase games regardless of how you feel about DRM or regional pricing.

Cavalary: Just going by Wikipedia's annual calculation of purchasing power parity (differences are even greater if using actual value, without adjustments), just a quick glance, so better sources welcome:

BKGaming: I really don't have anymore to say on this issue honestly, but the first rule of quoting a source is to never quote Wikipedia. My main point still remains there is no such thing as fair pricing... why should someone in a poor country pay the same as someone in a wealthy country that makes a lot more? Surely a countries economy and wealth should be taken into account? It's the same as asking why two copies of the same game are two different prices in two different countries. Nothing in life is fair.
I am sorry , I have no idea how are you quantifying your claims, as you neither have access to GOG stats nor have done any kind of sampling analysis to come to these conclusions. So for any basis of discussion, your claims are as good as mine or any of the others on this forums. The fact that you are giving your claim more merit is puzzling me.

Now assuming your claims are correct that means 2 things:
1) GOG as a company just wanted to be fair to a vocal minority (according to you).
2) GOG is just run by a punch of idiots who have no idea what they are doing and keep switching between position depending on how good was the coffee this morning.

For me I believe that reason #3 makes more sense:
3) GOG has some basis for their decision and your claim has no merit and actually a good percentage of their users care about fair price value (for one reason or another).

You can argue that one world one price is not fair but certainly regional pricing (way its implemented now) is much worse. So until you or someone introduces a fairer method, I believe one world one price is best we have available now.
Wow, Good job GOG. Point 3 is especially gratifying if you're for real.

Serious kudos on being so willing to listen to your customers and do something about the issues raised.

You're well on your way to being the portal of choice for an already large and growing audience.

Thanks.
Thanks for listening to us (your customers) and getting back to your roots, GOG! :)