It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Play a reimagined version of the all-time RPG classic from The Elder Scrolls series. Daggerfall Unity – GOG Cut brings this amazing experience to modern gamers. It has been made possible, thanks to the efforts of the GamerZakh, a gaming content creator with a love for classics.

The GOG Cut of Daggerfall Unity doesn’t require any special actions on your behalf. All you have to do is download the game and simply launch it. Thanks to settings and mods that were selected by GamerZakh you can explore the rich world of Daggerfall with enhanced visuals and gameplay.
Swedrami: Again, some recommendations for other (once) freely available titles to get onto GoG as well:

Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok
Dink Smallwood
MechCommander (+ Desperate Measures)
MechCommander 2
Earthsiege
Earthsiege 2
Starsiege: Tribes
Tribes 2
Tribes: Aerial Assault
Tribes Vengeance
Rollcage Redux & Rollcage Extreme (source ports of Rollcage & Rollcage Stage II respectively, by original Rollcage programmer Robert Baker)
Also Dungeon Master 1+2 and Black Crypt
low rated
magicono: So I finally was contacted by somebody from GoG. But this was only after I directly contacted GamerZahk from some posts on Reddit. I requested my mod/mods be removed, so will see what happens. Safe to say the conduct was unnecessarily rushed for this GoG Cut.
Yeah, wouldn't want GOG letting people use free mods for free.
low rated
Gudadantza: If permission is the key, it already exists overall
lupineshadow: And if some of the mod developers disagree, and explicitly revoke permission...what then? (as they have done)

What if two months later, some other mod developers also decide they will revoke permission, as is their right?
It's freely distributed and not under any license. They don't have a right to tell people they can't download it, they can't try to remove mirrors to the mod either.
low rated
ChuckBeaver: Bottom line is as I already explained. Kick, scream and throw a tantrum. The laws are not going to matter even under the assumption they apply at all. The end result would be paying money for a take down that ends after about a year or longer and it changes nothing. Arguing here wont make gog care. They dont even respond to paying customers. Why would anything talked about involving free content matter to them , when you take this fact into consideration?(rhetorical question)

End of subject.
Bottom line is, you are making a bad legal take. Clearly you want to troll to think otherwise, but you are factually plain wrong. If there is one thing that sets me off, it is the arrogance and ignorance you've put on display here.

The law matters. It always matters. This is not a "tantrum". This is reality. IANAL but I drink and I know things. I have seen enough and know enough to determine the modders actually have standing to bring a class action suit against GOG. I can even direct you to copyright law lawyers who will tell you as much.

The fact the mods are under free distribution was made possible by the modders who either hosted it themselves on their own dime, or it was hosted within a third party site. These places have legal protections.

What we have here is a case of fraud and use of stolen content on the part of GOG. The modders for the most part are victims of the theft of their work put into a commercial product that violates laws of consent and commerce. It does not matter that the content could be downloaded freely. Anyone can use that channel. But the modders only authorized distribution through those authorized sources, not with GOG.

This is akin to someone asking to borrow a car, and they would take the car and use it as they see fit before the owner gave permission. Even if the car was freely available and wasn't in use by anyone else as per your argument, this is still theft. It's a crime. GOG doesn't have an excuse here.

There are modders who don't even know or have any association with the guy who compiled the list, and there is the mystery of whether that person took it upon themselves, or granted, the authority to OK the list and have GOG compile the assets. For the most part, GOG did not have permission from all the mod authors for the mods GOG wanted to distribute. Modders would have never ever, under any circumstances, relinquished rights to ownership and control just because they freely distributed their mods. GOG does not own that content. GOG has no license to it.

You're confusing free distribution with public domain, and this is not a public domain case. Modders for that matter might even start charging for their content, so your argument holds no water.

lupineshadow: And if some of the mod developers disagree, and explicitly revoke permission...what then? (as they have done)

What if two months later, some other mod developers also decide they will revoke permission, as is their right?
Totenglocke: It's freely distributed and not under any license. They don't have a right to tell people they can't download it, they can't try to remove mirrors to the mod either.
Wrong.
low rated
D.R.E.A.M. by King of Worms - KoW
Improved Interior Lighting by ShortBeard
Better Ambience by Joshua Steinhauer
Loading screen by TheLacus
Enhanced Sky by Interkarma
Interesting Eroded Terrains by Monobelisk and Freak2121
Distant Terrain by Nystul-the-Magician
Basic Roads by Hazelnut
Real Grass 2 by TheLacus
Vibrant Wind by Uncanny Valley - TheLacus - VMblast
Taverns Redone by Uncanny Valley
Handpainted model replacements by AlexanderSig
Windmills of Daggerfall by Kamer
Detailed city walls by Cliffworms
Birds in Daggerfall by Uncanny Valley
Fixed dungeon exteriors by Cliffworms
Lively cities by Cliffworms
Unofficial Block Location and Model fixes by XJDHDR
Readied Spellcasting Hands by jefetienne
Roleplay and Realism by Hazelnut
Roleplay and Realism Items by Hazelnut and Ralzar
Daggerfall Skyshards by Uncanny Valley
Airships by Kaedius
Archaeologists guild by Hazelnut
Daggerfall Unity Quest pack 1 by JayH2971
Daggerfall Unity Quest pack 2 by JayH2971
World of Daggerfall Project by World of Daggerfall Team
Bestiary by Shapur
Famous Faces of the Iliac Bay by Cliffworms
You Can Pet The Cat by technitaur
Ambient Text by Regnier
Darker Dungeons by Ralzar
Daggerfall Expanded Textures by Ninelan
Levelling Inspiration by Cliffworms
Town Descriptions And Details by imsobadatnicknames
Rest Warning If Unwell by Kirk O
World Tooltips by jefetienne
Convenient Quest Log by Macadaynu
JayH's Random Little Quests by JayH2971
Travel Options by Hazelnut
lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCTj5e2XcUY
low rated
ChuckBeaver: Bottom line is as I already explained. Kick, scream and throw a tantrum. The laws are not going to matter even under the assumption they apply at all. The end result would be paying money for a take down that ends after about a year or longer and it changes nothing. Arguing here wont make gog care. They dont even respond to paying customers. Why would anything talked about involving free content matter to them , when you take this fact into consideration?(rhetorical question)

End of subject.
TurdFerguson87: Bottom line is, you are making a bad legal take. Clearly you want to troll to think otherwise, but you are factually plain wrong. If there is one thing that sets me off, it is the arrogance and ignorance you've put on display here.

The law matters. It always matters. This is not a "tantrum". This is reality. IANAL but I drink and I know things. I have seen enough and know enough to determine the modders actually have standing to bring a class action suit against GOG. I can even direct you to copyright law lawyers who will tell you as much.

The fact the mods are under free distribution was made possible by the modders who either hosted it themselves on their own dime, or it was hosted within a third party site. These places have legal protections.

What we have here is a case of fraud and use of stolen content on the part of GOG. The modders for the most part are victims of the theft of their work put into a commercial product that violates laws of consent and commerce. It does not matter that the content could be downloaded freely. Anyone can use that channel. But the modders only authorized distribution through those authorized sources, not with GOG.

This is akin to someone asking to borrow a car, and they would take the car and use it as they see fit before the owner gave permission. Even if the car was freely available and wasn't in use by anyone else as per your argument, this is still theft. It's a crime. GOG doesn't have an excuse here.

There are modders who don't even know or have any association with the guy who compiled the list, and there is the mystery of whether that person took it upon themselves, or granted, the authority to OK the list and have GOG compile the assets. For the most part, GOG did not have permission from all the mod authors for the mods GOG wanted to distribute. Modders would have never ever, under any circumstances, relinquished rights to ownership and control just because they freely distributed their mods. GOG does not own that content. GOG has no license to it.

You're confusing free distribution with public domain, and this is not a public domain case. Modders for that matter might even start charging for their content, so your argument holds no water.

Totenglocke: It's freely distributed and not under any license. They don't have a right to tell people they can't download it, they can't try to remove mirrors to the mod either.
TurdFerguson87: Wrong.
You're off your meds if you think it's "stealing" to download a mod that was uploaded with the intention of people downloading it for free.

Bottom line is only someone with severe mental issues would upload a mod for people to use for free, then get angry that people downloaded and played that mod. If they didn't want people to play the mod, why the hell did they upload it for people to download?
Totenglocke: You're off your meds if you think it's "stealing" to download a mod that was uploaded with the intention of people downloading it for free.

Bottom line is only someone with severe mental issues would upload a mod for people to use for free, then get angry that people downloaded and played that mod. If they didn't want people to play the mod, why the hell did they upload it for people to download?
No. Modders put their stuff up in places they approved to host their content. That does not give anyone the right to have commercial interests in it. EVER. That is not a mental issue. It's not meds. It's law in a lot of countries. This is not about "downloading" their work. This is about how a company co-opted themselves to work that was not their own, and packaged it with no consent by many of the authors. It is stolen work for the fact it was duplicated in a place that was not authorized by the mods' creators. That is, by definition, theft.
Totenglocke: You're off your meds...

Bottom line is only someone with severe mental issues would upload a mod for people to use for free, then get angry that people downloaded and played that mod.
Download them, yes. Have person B take Person A's Mod from site X and upload to site Y without knowledge or permission = I think you'll find sites like Nexus, ModDB, etc, can and do delete mods and ban accounts like that all the time despite being "legal", credited or the mod has a "permissive" license if the actual author makes a complaint about an unauthorized upload. Likewise in the news this week, Valve orders Steam Workshop downloaders who allow people to download free mods shut-down. "But, but, but... many of those mods are free and published under the MIT license so anyone can just grab & republish them anywhere". Clearly not...

Some people here seem stuck in a "can't see the forest for the trees" moment in promoting 'I want, I want, and I'll get away with what the law says' is more important to yourselves than showing a bit of basic respect to the modding community who made the mods you want to use, when such cheerleading of "Nice mod, I'll take it. Permission not needed, license is all that matters" approach would literally be the fastest thing that would kill off a potential GOG Workshop stone dead from day one. I was ambivalent about such a workshop for a while but after reading some of the "attitudes" here from ChuckBeaver's "Kick, scream and throw a tantrum" to your own "anyone who disagrees with me has severe mental issues", I hope & pray that a potential future GOG Workshop never ever becomes a thing if that's what the "modern" hyper-entitled GOG modding community has sadly already turned into...
Post edited June 17, 2022 by BrianSim
low rated
"Mods are available to download for free! Why would GOG need permission to host them?"
"Red Alert is available to download for free! Why would GOG need permission to host it?"
"Abandonware is available to download for free! Why would GOG need permission to host it?"

Yeah, I went down that slippery slope. It was fun! Wheeeeee!
Hm. After giving it some more thought and perusing this thread, I admit I may have been wrong. GOG may indeed have been better off just bundling Daggerfall with the barebones Unity project and simply recommending mods from that list.

Even though I like the idea of a pre-packaged deal - mod-hunting can be a chore at times - GOG seems to be playing it a bit too fast and loose. It'll be interesting to see whether they'll actually address the community concern.
Mr.Mumbles: Hm. After giving it some more thought and perusing this thread, I admit I may have been wrong. GOG may indeed have been better off just bundling Daggerfall with the barebones Unity project and simply recommending mods from that list.

Even though I like the idea of a pre-packaged deal - mod-hunting can be a chore at times - GOG seems to be playing it a bit too fast and loose. It'll be interesting to see whether they'll actually address the community concern.
I don't anticipate any address but apparently they've so far removed two mods?
ZT-GOG01: modders getting fed the idea that even without a license on their mods, that people need explicit permission to redistribute regardless of credit being given. but
ChuckBeaver: Generally speaking. The permission is given by the fact, that when anyone gives something away for free.
Intellectual property is not simple or uniform across the entire world. However, I do not understand how this can be considered true.

It is my understanding that Copyright is assumed by default (at least in the USA, your stated country) on all works, unless stated otherwise. And that is the entire purpose for licences such as Creative Commons Attribution only. From their website (creativecommons.org/faq/):

Legal Background
What is copyright and why does it matter?

Copyright law grants exclusive rights to creators of original works of authorship. National laws usually extend protections to such works automatically once fixed in a tangible medium, prohibiting the making of copies without the rights holder’s permission, among other things.
(...)
What do I need to do to get a copyright?

Copyright in most jurisdictions attaches automatically without need for any formality once a creative work is fixed in tangible form (i.e. the minute you put pen to paper, take a photo, or hit the “save” button on your computer).
I do not think what GOG is doing falls into "Fair Use".

It is different when we are talking about physical things: I gave you an apple (or a spit sample), it was given. Non-tangible things, however, are governed by different laws. And here is a counter-example that seems more relevant to this case (www.mondaq.com/unitedstates/copyright/1047416/implied-copyright-licenses-in-the-digital-world-blogs-rss-feeds -and-aggregators).

I should add that I'm all for a curtailing of the current intellectual property rights, that in my opinion hamper innovation and creativity instead of promoting them. But being for a thing does not change its legal status.

In short: I believe that if I put my work on a website, for free, I am not granting an implicit right for anyone els to distribute my work for free (even with attribution) for all eternity. If you disagree, please present supporting evidence or a convincing argument.
kai2: I do not know frosty_shake, but I feel confident what frosty_shake is trying to communicate is that your MIT license seems to pretty much allows anyone to do anything with your mod that they wish -- commercial or otherwise -- as long as they credit you.
First i'm not a legal consultant or too deep in licenses myself, but i'll give my two cents.

You are correct; Proper credit and the license have to carry over usually. Otherwise Microsoft would be in deeper crap and many other software companies for including zlib json and other libraries because they weren't given explicit permission.

Usually however with whole packages you include the entire package untouched or potentially move licenses/notes in it's own folder in case anyone is interested. Simply re-uploading or making a collection isn't against the license.

Actually MIT and GPL generally taking and not only reusing but adding/changing/improving is encouraged, though the original creator(s) still need appropriate credit.

Though if the license doesn't allow any modifications, then changing it couldn't be distributed unless you got special permission, but a lot of people enjoy fairly open licenses.
magicono: I don't think it was intentional, but that does not change my stance that I don't want my mod/mods distributed in this way. Especially after showing lack of respect by not even bothering to contact me and others before releasing this pre-pack anyway.
I hope that this goof by GOG results only on the company learning a lesson and not on leaving a sour taste on your mouth.
The dedication and effort that you and other modders invested is recognized and appreciated by the users. That has not changed.
Grargar: "Mods are available to download for free! Why would GOG need permission to host them?"
"Red Alert is available to download for free! Why would GOG need permission to host it?"
"Abandonware is available to download for free! Why would GOG need permission to host it?"

Yeah, I went down that slippery slope. It was fun! Wheeeeee!
You forgot the corollary: "GOG games are available to download for free! Why does GOG charge for them?"
Post edited June 17, 2022 by mrkgnao