It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

qwixter: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

Yea, they got me on that one. Never again firaxis/2k, never again.
This and Aliens: Colonial Marines.. probably more aswell but main two that came to mind.
Star Trek Final Unity
After about 3 days the games said my disc was
not the original disc. It was the ORIGINAL disc !
The store would not refund me, because the box
was opened. The thing cost $40 bucks

Never heard of a crack until this happened...

Muppets Inside, I think, used Star Force Copy
Protection Scheme. It screwed up my hard drive.

Someone from the old Just Adventure message board
sent me "The Scroll" as a joke. It IS as bad as everyone
says it is. Quit playing after about an hour. Another
member told me if I paid them $10 they would take it
off my hands :)

Mis-leading glowing reviews that paint a
prettier picture than reality of the games.
Sam2014: Mis-leading glowing reviews that paint a
prettier picture than reality of the games.
thats nothing new though
ignisferroque: I think the only one i ever regretted buying was Carmageddon. By the time it arrived (good old CD ROM ordering days...) i was already bored of the demo. The game itself was the same crap as the demo, with ugly variations of maps that ultimately didn't make much of a difference. I miss those 50 bucks :P
i regret renting carmageddon on the n64
what a piece of garbage that was absolutley awfull

and i was stupid enough to think that the pc version might be better
it isnt

abysmal controls no matter what i do absolutlety unplayable
i tend to prefer to forget that i have those pieces of refuge in my library
Post edited November 27, 2014 by snowkatt
OK, is the main problem with Beyond Earth is that it's a smaller game than Civ V with a bunch of expansions?
Sam2014: Muppets Inside, I think, used Star Force Copy
Protection Scheme. It screwed up my hard drive.
I thought you were mocking Intel.
Post edited November 27, 2014 by realkman666
misteryo: This thread is the surprise (to me) hit of the week!
There's something fun about it. I get the feeling we have a "good" crowd of game buyers here at GoG, people who know what they like, know what they're getting into and make sure they try their best NOT to buy a bad game.

So when we do stumble on a game that we find terrible and full of regret, there's always an interesting story behind it.

Lifthrasil: The two games I regretted purchasing were ... and Divinity 2 - Ego Draconis. The utterly stupid ending ruined the entire game (OK, there were some bad parts before that, lots of little flaws that add up - but it was the ending that killed the game for good)
I don't know what it was, but I loved this game! Maybe it was the mind reading, maybe the large (but not so huge that the ardent searcher couldn't look in many of the nooks and crannies) world, maybe the huge supply of loot or the fact that you could TURN INTO A DRAGON! But I really got into it. I bought the "complete" package so while I had the totally unsatisfying cliffhanger non-ending, I could have "finished" the game with the DLC / expansion. I never did get very far in it, but for whatever reason it didn't mar the first section of the game for me.

This was one of those games that could have been very generic but for whatever reason just ended up "working" for me - a surprise hit. I'm guessing I feel about this game like a lot of people do about Risen or Gothic. (Risen I HATED but I'm willing to blame this on the fact that I played the console version - it's one of those games that people openly acknowledge as a totally different and terrible a game on consoles, while 100% better on PC).

Also - Civ: Beyond Earth was released? I thought that was still far off and in development?
Ixamyakxim: (Risen I HATED but I'm willing to blame this on the fact that I played the console version - it's one of those games that people openly acknowledge as a totally different and terrible a game on consoles, while 100% better on PC).
This is true. Risen on 360 is not bad, but it has so many issues that it really has trouble functioning as a game and I for one hold that it is much, much better on PC, so much so that it nearly does feel like a totally different game.
Tetris.

The gameplay is great but the story is really boring.
Ixamyakxim: I don't know what it was, but I loved this game! Maybe it was the mind reading, maybe the large (but not so huge that the ardent searcher couldn't look in many of the nooks and crannies) world, maybe the huge supply of loot or the fact that you could TURN INTO A DRAGON! But I really got into it. I bought the "complete" package so while I had the totally unsatisfying cliffhanger non-ending, I could have "finished" the game with the DLC / expansion. I never did get very far in it, but for whatever reason it didn't mar the first section of the game for me.

This was one of those games that could have been very generic but for whatever reason just ended up "working" for me - a surprise hit. I'm guessing I feel about this game like a lot of people do about Risen or Gothic. (Risen I HATED but I'm willing to blame this on the fact that I played the console version - it's one of those games that people openly acknowledge as a totally different and terrible a game on consoles, while 100% better on PC).
I feel the same about D2. Really enjoyed the hell out of it.

I really, really liked Risen as well, but played it on the PC, so that may be why i have no complaints about it.
flubbucket: Tetris.

The gameplay is great but the story is really boring.
yeah but you dont play tetris for the story
it could be summarised on the back of a postage stamp

half a stamp
Super Meat Boy.
(Just typing that out makes me upset.)

One good thing came out of it, though. It was the last time I ever decided to buy a game based on review scores. I've been happier since I started ignoring scores.
Post edited November 27, 2014 by AdamR
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

I bought it used and one of the discs don't work. Cannot play the game.
inc09nito: REMOVED
RayRay13000: Tell me what it is damn it! >:(
What if it's a legend of a game, like Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Rayman or something alike? I would be cursed and thrown out of the community for that. I'd rather stay silent ;)

EDIT: And thank you for making the "nice surprises" thread! :D
Post edited November 27, 2014 by inc09nito
AdamR: Super Meat Boy.
(Just typing that out makes me upset.)

One good thing came out of it, though. It was the last time I ever decided to buy a game based on review scores. I've been happier since I started ignoring scores.
Was it too hard for you or was it something else?
I regret having bought the N64. It was the worst console of this generation with very few good games and I should have supported SEGA instead, especcially since I had to work very long for something like this when I was little.
Igorq: I just realized - The Witcher 1 (on steam). I bought because it was discounted. Shortly afterwards it was discounted also on GOG. I regreted Steam purchase but the possibility to own this game without any DRM won and I just purchased once again - this time on GOG.
omega64: You can get a free GOG copy if you own the Steam version.
I'm not sure if this worked this way at the time when I purchased it (in 2011) - anyway I like GOG enough to not regret spending money here, I just regret spending money on the Steam.