It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

tfishell: Where have you seen recent sales data?
mechmouse: To be honest I've not been able to get anything recently. This is based off research I did about 5 years back.

I really should redo it, and keep better records (my replies were scattered across forums, DM, tweets and email), put together something with basic level journalism.
Cheers. Of course don't feel obligated to do so, it's not your job.

For now I'll assume most games make 1-5% sales here of what they do on Steam. Maybe it is greater but still not enough for devs and pubs to really care; we keep getting shafted on updates.
mechmouse: To be honest I've not been able to get anything recently. This is based off research I did about 5 years back.

I really should redo it, and keep better records (my replies were scattered across forums, DM, tweets and email), put together something with basic level journalism.
tfishell: Cheers. Of course don't feel obligated to do so, it's not your job.

For now I'll assume most games make 1-5% sales here of what they do on Steam. Maybe it is greater but still not enough for devs and pubs to really care; we keep getting shafted on updates.
I think the greatest issue for GoG is this

Even if a company pulls out all the stops (like Larian or to a point Devoler), gives equal billing to GoG in their promotions and PR, and they see 8% of sales via GoG; That isn't an extra 8% income

Its likely only to be about 1% extra income than had they just gone Steam only, simply because people like me that absolutely won't touch Steam is a tiny minority. People may prefer GoG, but they'll still use Steam if there's no other option.

A lot of it comes down to your business ethics and the Value you place in customer satisfaction. Sure 8% of your customers being happier is good, means they're more likely to buy from you again and help market your products, but in the grand spreadsheet of business its tiny.
low rated
tfishell: Cheers. Of course don't feel obligated to do so, it's not your job.

mechmouse: I think the greatest issue for GoG is this

Even if a company pulls out all the stops (like Larian or to a point Devoler), gives equal billing to GoG in their promotions and PR, and they see 8% of sales via GoG; That isn't an extra 8% income

Its likely only to be about 1% extra income than had they just gone Steam only, simply because people like me that absolutely won't touch Steam is a tiny minority. People may prefer GoG, but they'll still use Steam if there's no other option.

A lot of it comes down to your business ethics and the Value you place in customer satisfaction. Sure 8% of your customers being happier is good, means they're more likely to buy from you again and help market your products, but in the grand spreadsheet of business its tiny.
Good point, tbh I never really thought about that. It is what it is I guess, there's virtually nothing we can do to change that.
MADiSON has been scheduled for release on the 24th of June.
tfishell: For now I'll assume most games make 1-5% sales here of what they do on Steam. Maybe it is greater but still not enough for devs and pubs to really care; we keep getting shafted on updates.
That's the hard reality. GOG's market share is small...

Without exclusives or some other big driver of traffic / customers, GOG is having issue building that market based on old games. And with that even many indie devs see little reason -- and more hassle and expenditures -- in releasing here. It's a hard nut for GOG to crack, but I would guess the first step is to work much more lucrative deals for indie devs while also finding unique or in-depth ways to promote those games (the essence of a "boutique experience").

Fingers crossed.

I've spent quite a few emails and posts on "other store" game pages asking devs to bring games to GOG, and sadly most times there's no answer at all... not even a "possible consideration." *sigh*
Post edited April 08, 2022 by kai2
low rated
tfishell: there's virtually nothing we can do to change that.
As consumers, there is indeed nothing we can do to change that.

However, there may be things that GOG itself can do to change that.

I presume that the reason why THQ Nordic, Devolver, and Larian release most of their new games on GOG on day one are because the high level decision makers at those companies like some of the GOG employees on a personal level.

If GOG can schmooze more high profile companies into liking some of the GOG employees on a personal level, then they may release games on GOG for that reason, and not because they expect the GOG release to offer a significant boost to their sales.

GOG should cancel it's "curation department" entirely, and re-deploy those resources into creating a new "schmoozing department." They wouldn't have to formally call it that, but schmoozing would be its primary function.

They could officially call it something respectable though, like the "developer relations department."
Post edited April 08, 2022 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
high rated
Creator of action platformer Madshot said on Steam forum that GOG release is "highly possible".
high rated
The 3rd and last AI War 2 expansion, "The Neinzul Abyss" is scheduled for release on the 22nd of April.
Pre-/Overview and Necromancer Gameplay
high rated
Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising launches May 10, it was confirmed for GOG in a kickstarter update:

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/04/eiyuden-chronicle-rising-launches-may-10
high rated
Platformer Flippin Kaktus will come out 12th of May. On No Gravity Games website there is information about GOG release.
high rated
Mech Warrior 5 Merc Melee focused DLC Call to Arms "coming soon", we should see it on GOG like the others:
https://mw5mercs.com/dlc/call-to-arms
high rated
House of the Dead Remake is coming to GOG on April 28th.

Source:
https://twitter.com/wiki_dead/status/1517049134653612032
bluethief: House of the Dead Remake is coming to GOG on April 28th.

Source:
https://twitter.com/wiki_dead/status/1517049134653612032
Reviews for this are all over the place, wonder if the game will operate well with The Sinden Light Gun.

Would be nice if they could include the original PC Port as well.
high rated
Additional content for Endzone - A World Apart in the form of Distant Places is scheduled for release on the 17th of May.
high rated
The 17th of May also sees the release of Jaws of the Lion, the first(?) expansion for Gloomhaven.