It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

hyperagathon: The Bard's Tale (2004) - It's hard to believe this is a inXile game. Constant loading. Annoying camera. Console controls. No depth to the game whatsoever. I did enjoy a few snippy lines, but decided it wasn't worth it in the end.
Crewdroog: Glad to see I'm not the only one who disliked the game. Everyone seems to love this game, I just couldn't.
haha, I thought everyone hated the game and I was the only one who liked it :)
Cyraxpt: Warlords Battlecry 2
Ghorpm: Snip
I understood that mechanic and i'm ok with it, when i mentioned Warcraft it was more to do with story elements (WB2 doesn't have story, it's just capture all the land) and "linear" gameplay, it bores me to death having to chase the damn hero with that open land, if there was some choking points where i could trap him (or his troops) that would be ok, but he has the liberty to go wherever he pleases, the only thing missing from the chase is that Benny Hill theme...
Besides, like i said, the game is either too easy or too hard (in normal) for me.

I could the see the game working as a multiplayer game (but i do not play rts online) but as a singleplayer game it's just not for me.

At least i'm having fun with Celtic Kings...

GabiMoro: Snip
Eh, kind of a broken game if i have to play a certain method to pass the game, like i said, the game is really punishing when it could be a little easier, besides, i like turn based strategy but i prefer with no troops, just heroes/characters.
Post edited October 10, 2014 by Cyraxpt
GabiMoro: Snip
Cyraxpt: Eh, kind of a broken game if i have to play a certain method to pass the game, like i said, the game is really punishing when it could be a little easier, besides, i like turn based strategy but i prefer with no troops, just heroes/characters.
You only have to use all those tactics if you want to win all battles with minimum losses/no losses, on Impossible level.

If you play on normal level you have more freedom to choose your way. But using ranged units and avoiding unnecesary hard battle is always a good tactic.
I have managed to finished it on impossilbe, playing different heroes.
Crewdroog: Glad to see I'm not the only one who disliked the game. Everyone seems to love this game, I just couldn't.
htown1980: haha, I thought everyone hated the game and I was the only one who liked it :)
:) My friends have always yammered about how awesome the game is. My brother gave it to me on steam, but of course since it's an old game, it wouldn't work. Got it here on the insomnia sale. When it was on sale it sold out soooo fast and whatnot I just thought, whoa this game must be the best. And whenever it is up for GA or something here, people seem to always clamor for it.

Knowing how I am, I'll probably redownload it in a few months b/c I'll think, "it wasn't that bad, you should probably give it another go".
Ok, I seldom give up on a game, but I will quit Ninja Girl: RPG Defense. Think there are just a few levels left, but it will take me hours of grinding and constant replay of the same stages over and over again, just to get some jades and money to buy the abilities I need to beat the bosses. That isn't very much fun (to be honest the whole game isn't, at least not on a desktop PC).
Splinter Cell Blacklist.
I did not like the movement mechanics and controls at all, it felt very stiff, clunky and inconvenient.
It tried to be both an action game and a stealth game yet wasn't good at either in my opinion.
I play these games for the stealth, and that was not done particularly well here.
For one thing the game-world was more restrictive than in the previous games.
But my dislike mainly came down to the controls and mechanics, which was simply not smooth enough.
I played the game for about 10 hrs.
R8V9F5A2: Splinter Cell Blacklist.
I did not like the movement mechanics and controls at all, it felt very stiff, clunky and inconvenient.
It tried to be both an action game and a stealth game yet wasn't good at either in my opinion.
I play these games for the stealth, and that was not done particularly well here.
But my dislike mainly came down to the controls and mechanics, which was simply not smooth enough.
Funny, I was coming in to say exactly this. I felt the same way with The Last of Us. Best game ever apparently, yet the controls are shit and the stealth mechanics are pretty poor. Gave up on it after the 20th time the enemy managed to see me through the wall.
high rated
It's very rare that I straight up quit a game entirely; most of the time I merely give up on the game for the immediate future and attempt to complete it later. However, lately I've been getting less inclined to take up certain titles again, to the point where I am almost convinced it is a matter of time before I wash my hands of them for good.

Quit this year:

The Witcher

Others have touched on this one, but my experience with the Witcher was such a disappointment on so many levels that I think the only adequate way to express my frustration would be to sum up my thought processes as I played the game.

"OK, a western RPG focusing around a defined character who has an established canon of several books with inspirations being drawn from fairy tales and Raymond Chandler. What could possbly go wrong?"

*10 minutes of gameplay later*

"Wait, *this* is the "exciting" combat system that review sites were drooling over? This is a glorified series of quicktime events! Oh, what the hell, I'm taking damage from my target despite not missing a beat in my swings! Is there a way I can dodge? Oh, yes, I can... Wait, no, dodging requires double-tapping, rendering it ineffective against incoming blows; looks like it's only good for buying time to down a potion. *Sigh*"

*One opening chapter later*

"Well, combat's a wash, but hey, I can put up with some dodgy combat if the story is worth a damn. Since this is an RPG, where story can flourish if treated properly, I am going to maintain my optimism. I mean, this was based off of a series of novels written by a guy who is still alive; it's not like the game writers are wanting for a lack of inspiration or anythi- wait, did I just hop into bed with Triss? I mean, ok, I figured that we were an item based on her interactions with me, but my choices were either berate her for something that wasn't her fault or be understanding. Seems a bit of a headscratcher to jump from that to sex, especiall - oh *come on*, noone should be able to get into that position just after recovering from a horrible injury, especially not in a low magic setti- wait... is... is that a card? Did I just get a card from having sex with someone? And there is a heart next to the character after I have had sex with them? Collectible detected; completionist impulses stimulated, must collect cards by fucking. Wait, what? What the hell is wrong with me?! No, scratch that, what is wrong with this bloody card-collecting mechanic?! Were the developers trying to simulate the mindset of having sex to score, as if it's some sort of goddamn game? If so, mission fucking accomplished. Question, however: WHY???"

*One transition to a new town later*

"Ok, I can forgive the shit combat and the dumb approach to sex. Games already handle sex with all the deftness of a bull in a china shop, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it faltered so badly, but *jesus*... Ah, hell with it, new town, new adventures. If I can deal with Lovecraft's background radiation of racist bullshit, I can take shitty attitudes toward sex in this (even though these days, the developers ought to know better). Ok, sweet, Witcher contracts; I can already feel the potential for RP fun percolating. I'll plan my mode of attack, make some oils and potions to facilitate it, then strike! I just need to get some ingredients and... huh. I can't make potions or oils yet. Well, I can, but I can't; random herbs are really expensive, and I can't pick my own until I spend a talent. Guess I'm just going to have to suffer for my art on the first missio- wait a minute. Wait a damn minute. I can only harvest what I need from the monsters once I have researched them? Ok, how do I do that?"

*One google search later*

"Oh you have got to be- I have to *buy books* in order to harvest herbs and monster parts?! So, effectively I need to spend money that I don't have in order to get work. Thankfully, it seems I can harvest these skulls for free, but man, what a racket this is. I couldn't just research monsters by killing them or anything; nope, it's either spend money on books or spend a talent that will let you harvest some things from some monsters."

*Way too much backtracking later*

"Fuck me, I believe what they said about this game being long; shame they didn't mention that it was padded as all hell. If I'm not stuck in an endless cycle of running back and forth to other ends of the map, then the main plot is adding as many roadblocks as possible. Sometimes less is more, people. Oh, look, racists; this aggression will not stand, man!

*One fight later*

"Well, that wasn't bad; sure, the mechanics aren't doing it for me, but contextually, it's nice to feel like I've done some good in the world. Oh, hey, a new quest item, I wonder what it could be; I need all the leads on the Professor I can- DICE?! What in God's name do I want with dice? Oh no, I'm receiving a tutorial on a crappy dice mini-game!"

*One agonizing game of dice later*

"SWEET CHRISTMAS, thank heavens I never have to do that agai- wait, what do you *mean* playing dice is now stuck in my quest log as an ongoing quest! I could ignore it, I guess, but knowing my luck that won't keep the quest from sticking around in my quest log, practically sighing in exasperation at being abandoned. Well, maybe I could go to the pub and try it again; after all, maybe it gets better the more you play it.

*Too many games of dice later*

Nope, still agonizingly boring. Oh hey, fistfights! This should be a nice change of pace from dodgy dice physics. Rip and tear your guts!

*WAY too many fistfights later*

Am I missing something? Blocking has no effect, and the key to winning seems to be "keep clicking on the dudes". There's no strategy as far as I can tell. Honestly not sure which is worse: the boring dice poker or the boring fistfights and SON OF A WHORE, getting into more fistfights is yet another unremovable stain on the quest log?! Nope, I learned my lesson from dice poker, thank you. Back to the main plot before my head explodes.

*One trek down Plot Avenue later*

Huh, ok, this isn't so bad. The base conflict is a nice take on the sort of thing that might be seen in a fairy tale, and is quite enjoyable. Sure, it has next to nothing to do with those guys who I am hunting, but still. Actually, the plot has been sidetracking for so long, I'd almost forgotten why I was hunting them. Not exactly a sign of stellar design, but then again, RPGs generally tend to suffer from the problem of mistaking padding running times with inconsequential bullshit, so I shouldn't be surprised. Speaking of surprises, hi Abigail, what're you- oh.

Oh. Oh dear. This looks bad. Tempting though it might be, jumping to conclusions is not going to do any of us any favors and - no, Abigail, I'm agreeing with you, you don't need to do anything to convince - what. What. You're… You're offering to bone me so that I don't feed you to the villagers? You know, of all the ways to make yourself come off as less suspicious, this is not a good one; well, it's a moot point, since from the little I have read, Geralt would never - WHAT THE FUCK! NO. NO. NO. That is the most out of character available choice I have ever seen! I should say no, but the promise of a card is tempting… ah, fuck it, I'll do the shitty option first, then reload just so I can see how they handle this.

*One sex card later*

YOU ASSES. Your game allows for one of the rapiest sex scenes I have ever seen, and instead of realizing that there might be some emotional fallout in the wake of it and trying to depict that, the character in question is FUCKING FINE?!

FUCK. YOU. YOU. MOTHER. FUCKING. HACKS. The only way you people could have been any less sensitive about this subject matter was if the game came with commentary explaining the difference between "legitimate" rape and not. Oh, but I guess it's ok that she shows no sign of emotional trauma; after all, Geralt is *so* hot, how could anyone ever entertain the idea of not banging him, especially when it's done not out of mutual desire but as a survival tactic? Fuck you, game.

*One rage-induced reload later*

Fine, reloaded. Fine, boss fight. Wait, why is it that I am doing everything right but still taking damage? Maybe it's just me, but taking this much damage regardless of my strategy is bad game design; I guess I'm just supposed to tank it up with a Swallow. It's all good, it's not like doing so POISONS ME OR ANYTHING. Oh look, it's dead. Whatever. I don't even care anymore. Oh look, the game is forcing me to play dice and fistfight now. Now I really don't care. Goodbye.
Post edited October 13, 2014 by Jonesy89
The 7th Guest (Enjoyable in a B-movie kind of way most of the time, but I got to that damn maze and spent way too much time in it to keep enjoying the rest of the game for the moment.)
Anachronox (The exploration and conversation and story parts of the game are good, but I just can't stand the combat.)
Cargo Commander (Just taking a break on this one, hopefully. It's good, just really really difficult sometimes.)
Defy Gravity (Another pretty good but extremely difficult game. I think I may have reached my enjoyment threshold on it.)
The Elder Scrolls: Arena (Surprisingly Good, though it ended up being far too repetitive to finish slogging through.)
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (Bad, though it had improved a few things over the first . . . while making some other things worse. Worse enough that I didn't get very far before ditching it.)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (It's really good, but after sinking about 70+ hours into it and getting frustrated with some of the Shivering Isles quests, I just had to take a break. Hopefully not a permanent one.)
F.E.A.R. (There are two really good games in there, but unfortunately they got all smushed together to create one rather mediocre game. After getting my ass kicked repeatedly during a combat section, I decided it wasn't worth trying to slog through.)
Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone (If I remember correctly, it was mostly the controls that turned me off of this one.)
Hate Plus (Good like the first one, but I didn't have the stuff to make the cake, and I actually felt wrong trying to get ahead in the game without actually making the cake. Will have to return to it once I have cake stuff.)
Hitman: Absolution (I was enjoying this game immensely until it became thoroughly and brain-smashingly too difficult and frustrating for me to continue. I'd love to go back to it, but I don't know if I'll be able to without throwing my computer out the window at some point.)
Knock-Knock! (What a fun looking little game, I thought. Little did I know that it would have to go in my Scaryass Games That I Can't Play Without Someone Else In The Room folder.)
L.A. Noire (Another really good game with a frustrating game mechanic, in this case the completely illogical interviewing system. I stopped about halfway through and intend to go back to finish it, but I will definitely be printing out a list of the interview answers beforehand.)
Max Payne 3 (AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL)
Miasmata (Great concept ruined by poor execution, particularly in the character movement.)
Painkiller: Black Edition (Very good stuff and got a good ways in, but getting my ass handed to me repeatedly does start to get old after a bit.)
Payday: The Heist (I don't think I've successfully completed a single heist, but damn if I didn't enjoy failing every step of the way.)
Rise of the Triad (One of the problems with transferring something old into something modern warts and all is that sometimes the warts got phased out for good reason.)
Smugglers V (I got through the tutorial with a few misgivings due to a couple of unusual design choices, but still fully prepared to give the game a chance. Then came all the spelling errors.)
Splinter Cell (I almost finished this one. Came SOOO CLOOOSE. But the difficulty finally became steep enough that my enjoyment of the game became completely drained.)
Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption (I didn't even manage to make it to the modern day section of the game. It's just . . . not a great game.)
Quit in the recent past:

Ultimas 2 and 6

Ultima 2 had all the entertainment value of a root canal, what with its incessant grinding and the fact that the dungeons and towers were unplayable (even with your stats buffed up your were going to get your ass handed to you on the second floor), but I persevered out of sheer defiance because I wanted to be able to say that I hadn't let the game beat me. I continued to do so even after the countless times I died when trying to land my space shuttle and had to reload back outside Da KGB (saving while off of Earth was right out, presumably due to a gas leak in the Sierra offices), all the way up until getting to the Time of Legends. I stood outside of Minax's keep, reflecting on how my seemingly endless hours of sailing a boat South around Pangaea and blowing up the eventual horde of monsters that would congregate on the shore were finally paying off. I took a deep breath and stepped forward into the force field.

I almost screamed when I saw that I was taking damage.

You see, at one point, I had gotten hit by a thief while trekking to my plane to take to the Time of Legends. Thieves have the ability to, whenever they successfully attack you, to steal an item from your inventory, and one had stolen the ring I needed to proceed. I could have gone back and gotten another, but the idea of hopping back into my plane (assuming the invincible demons hadn't surrounded me first) and then navigating the needlessly complex series of time portals to do so was so repulsive to me that I abandoned the game and settled for watching a LP of the final fight.

U6 doesn't have quite as epic of a ragequit story behind it, thankfully. I booted up the game, and the interface immediately put me off; between the awful inventory management and the fact that the game window was so small while revealing far less of the world than past games, making orientation a right pain, I couldn't keep playing for more than 15 minutes before I became disoriented.
Jonesy89: Snip
You are not alone, buddy! I totally feel your pain and agree with most of what you said.
I'm about to uninstall ArcheAge. It has a few things going for it, but it feels like it's going to end up costing me way too much if I want to do anything other than grind and quest.
Borderlands 2 (Laptop can't run that well)
E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy (Spoiler territory with this one)
Sanctum (Not into tower defense games)
Most of the console games I own, MAYBE with a few exceptions (Looks at Atelier Totori, Soul Nomad (If I can find the disk already!), Disgaea 2, Front Mission 3, Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Ditto with Borderlands 2)
Torchlight 2 (Kill me for saying this, but I like Path of Exile better. If someone can convince me to keep playing TL2, I'll cross that out.)
Men of War (Don't get me wrong, I like the game, but the second Soviet mission is a pain in the butt.)
Mass Effect (A. Not enough time, or B. Just got bored)
Agarest: Generations of War (Eh... Not worth it.)
Shadowrun Returns (Not a fan of Dead Man's Switch. Waiting for Dragonfall)
Dawn of War II (Same reason as BL2 and DXHR)
R8V9F5A2: Splinter Cell Blacklist.
darthspudius: Funny, I was coming in to say exactly this. I felt the same way with The Last of Us. Best game ever apparently, yet the controls are shit and the stealth mechanics are pretty poor. Gave up on it after the 20th time the enemy managed to see me through the wall.
Yet both these games got so much praise. There is something wrong with the priorities if you ask me.
Good story-line and graphics are always nice to have but I think gameplay mechanics should trump everything else.
After all they are supposed to be games and not movies. It matters how you interact with the games.
I've played 'Last of Us' as well and had the same experience as you. Did not finish it either.
Clunky mechanics in stealth games is just not acceptable to me, it quickly deteriorates the experience.
Company of heroes campaign: was playing it on hardest difficulty(I think hard? that's the hardest? can't remember) 1st playthrough,got tough luck in one mission tried again lost for just a bit,got bored never tried again :P

I may,finish it,some time :P