It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

CLARC

After a long time and many tries I finally gave up exactly here.
Post edited September 29, 2014 by Klumpen0815
Wasteland 2

I thought I was going to go back to it, but I really have no desire to keep playing a game I'm not enjoying (especially one that 'boasts' 50 hours of gameplay). I can't be bothered to keep playing it in the hope that maybe after 30 hours something might change.

Maybe I'll get back to it in a couple of years when there's been a bunch of patches. Even then, that would only fix part of the problem...
Klumpen0815: CLARC

After a long time and many tries I finally gave up exactly here.
I haven't started it yet, but it looks mental. :D
Austrobogulator: Wasteland 2

I thought I was going to go back to it, but I really have no desire to keep playing a game I'm not enjoying (especially one that 'boasts' 50 hours of gameplay). I can't be bothered to keep playing it in the hope that maybe after 30 hours something might change.

Maybe I'll get back to it in a couple of years when there's been a bunch of patches. Even then, that would only fix part of the problem...
What's wrong?
Post edited September 29, 2014 by realkman666
Austrobogulator: Wasteland 2

realkman666: What's wrong?
Well, aside from the bugs, typos, sub-optimal UI - the game feels very restrictive, not just where you can go, but also in terms of actual viable options, as well as the character creator. There's also the not-particularly-enjoyable combat, which does the absolute bare minimum to be considered tactical; tactical combat is just not very enjoyable when there's not much in the way of actual tactical planning. Then there's the serious lack of variety in random encounter locations. For the most part, the graphics are also pretty mediocre, both in terms of style and technical quality.

Although, I do suppose a bunch of my issues relate to my expectations. Whatever the case, I found very little enjoyment in playing it. I'll leave the game running to get Steam trading cards then sell them, but that will probably be it.
realkman666: What's wrong?
Austrobogulator: Well, aside from the bugs, typos, sub-optimal UI - the game feels very restrictive, not just where you can go, but also in terms of actual viable options, as well as the character creator. There's also the not-particularly-enjoyable combat, which does the absolute bare minimum to be considered tactical; tactical combat is just not very enjoyable when there's not much in the way of actual tactical planning. Then there's the serious lack of variety in random encounter locations. For the most part, the graphics are also pretty mediocre, both in terms of style and technical quality.

Although, I do suppose a bunch of my issues relate to my expectations. Whatever the case, I found very little enjoyment in playing it. I'll leave the game running to get Steam trading cards then sell them, but that will probably be it.
disappointing :( I haven't downloaded my copy yet…. maybe i will wait a bit longer.
Titanfall and Saints Row 4, both for the same reason, I was playing on free game time/free weekend. :P But I did enjoy both.

On a more serious note, Borderlands 1. It's fun, but god, it never ends and starts feeling utterly repetitive
TF2, I'll take a break for at least a few years, I gave up with the others players'playstyle (no teamwork at all).
Warlords Battlecry 2

After some problems with the graphics (that eventualy was fixed) i started playing this game and i was looking foward to it, i do enjoy rts (even if i'm not really that good at it), i also enjoy when they mixture with rpg elements (and having loot is a plus) and there is a ton of races to pick, what's not to like in this game?

Well...

I started in normal, first game and im still building stuff and gathering resources when the enemy hero + troops start attacking my base, ok, it's on... Wait, why am i losing when i have almost 2x the size of his army? Oh right, because the enemy hero is already level 2 (or 3) and has way more damage and health than me. But that's ok, i reloaded my save and this time i stayed near the towers and i kind of won the battle... kind of, since the enemy hero has nitro in his boots and no way am i going to catch him.
A few minutes later (7~13m) he returns with more troops and now he has ballistas that obliterate my troops in 1 shoot. HOW THE HELL IS THIS FAIR? Even if i'm really slow, how come he already has tons of resources and already built that kind of army?

Oh well, i must suck, let me put on easy then... ZZZZZZZzzzzzzz... There's no challenge, now i can beat the enemy army quickly and, surprise, the enemy hero still has nitro hidden in his boots, again, its a dumb chase trying to catch him and the match won't end until i kill him, worst, there's 3 armies on that match, 3 damn heroes to chase...

I just gave up, there's no learning curve in the normal difficulty (even with that system that tells you what kind of resistence you will find in the land) and it's just boring, perhaps the game really shines in the multiplayer mode but in singleplayer is just awful.

I don't know, perhaps i'm in minority but i prefer something more simple and with a story, i did enjoyed games like Warcraft 3 or Warhammer 40k but this game definitely isn't for me.
Half-Life: Pretty cool setting overall, but shitty controls and I got stuck due to a bug just like in HL2 Episode 1. No thanks, Valve.

Choplifter HD: Cool game, nice choppy goodness, but at some point they introduce more enemies on the bottom of the screen that you can't see until they shoot at you, so you basically have to learn the whole level by heart to know when to shift the chopper towards the fourth wall in advance.
Cyraxpt: Warlords Battlecry 2
May I try to convince you to give the game another chance?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I got an impression that you are trying to apply a standard Warcraftish-RTS procedure, that is: build up and fortify your base, defend yourself from several attacks, run out of resources so establish a new outpost to mine more, create a huge army, destroy your opponent.

Warlords Battlecry, however, is a bit different. War for resources is a key to win it. You need to convert as many mines as possible and as early as possible. You shouldn't fortify them all, it's obvious that you won't be able to defend them all. But if an enemy converts them you can go and do the same (after weakening his forces of course). Furthermore you can destroy some of converted mines (ctrl+d if I remember correctly) you will get some resources for that and the enemy won't be able to use those mines before they regenerate so try to do this to those mines that are close to his base. And try to do this early so that he won't have enough resources to create better armies.

I admit, it may seem as a painful chore and if it's not appealing to you then don't try to play the game again. But I can assure you that for me (and a lot of my friends too!) this war for resources is very entertaining and kinda realistic: you may have to lose some battles (let your mines being converted) to win the war (scenario).

After conquering several provinces you will see that the game actually have a learning curve. Later missions (especially conquering capitals) are much harder indeed. I do admit, however, that it's a bit unfair that the game doesn't give you a clear clue that fighting for resources is so important.
The Bard's Tale (2004) - It's hard to believe this is a inXile game. Constant loading. Annoying camera. Console controls. No depth to the game whatsoever. I did enjoy a few snippy lines, but decided it wasn't worth it in the end.

Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader - An old GOG purchase, bought almost solely for completion reasons, ie I knew it got bad reviews. But since I've been on a bit of a RPG binge, I thought why not. Well, it starts well enough, what with SPECIAL and a interesting alt history background, but it degrades as soon as the first combat experience. It's abysmal. Whoever decided to make it a real-time - not even active pause ala Infinity engine games, just a shitty clickfest (implying a clickfest doesn't need to be shitty) - game should get special recognition. As in, if you ever recognize the name(s), stay away from the product. As far as I'm concerned, it's completely unplayable. Of course, virtually every single review states that later areas in the game consist of nothing but combat as they rushed the game to release, so whatever incentive there is in exploring the admittedly interesting first area / town melts away at the prospect of pumping ten hours into a unsatisfying experience only for it to become thoroughly terrible.
thuey: I've been playing this for the last year, and I'm maybe 70% through. I would say that once you get past the initial part, it gets a little easier and more manageable. I think I had the same concerns you had when starting out.

It is fun, but it is a grind., with lots of refills/replenishments after almost each battle.
Cyraxpt: Uhm, not doubting you but i was on that pirate islands place (can't really recall the name of it) and it was already hard for me, i was losing too many troops and i didn't have the patience to go back and replenish. The game is great and the initial part (where it was kind of challenging but fair) was a time well spent but the older i get less patience i have, i rather play something like that (tactical turn based rpg) but without the hassle of travelling back to get troops, i'm waiting for a sale on Banner Saga and Xenonauts...
You guys are wusses. I should upoload my gameplay with NO CAUSALTIES at all, on impossible level.

Ok, I was just kidding, I haven't managed to do that but I heard it's possible.

From the tactics I used (I copied from somewhere else, I'm too lazy to write them myself now):
- use ranged troops and troops that can ressurect (Paladins, Inquisitors) or summon other units
- use slow and trap spells, freeze arrow from the Bowmen
- avoid hard battles (don't fight the enemy, quickly move beside him), picking up gold chests, crystals, leadership flags.
- resurrect troops using: hero spells directly, creature spells, using hero spells to replenish creature spells, rage spirit abililities.
Post edited October 09, 2014 by GabiMoro
hyperagathon: The Bard's Tale (2004) - It's hard to believe this is a inXile game. Constant loading. Annoying camera. Console controls. No depth to the game whatsoever. I did enjoy a few snippy lines, but decided it wasn't worth it in the end.
Hm, sounds like Wasteland 2.
Gothic 3... again

The first time due to random crashes I had to patch GoGs version to the current community patch and it wasn't compatible with my savestate = about 6 of gaming hours lost.

The second time everything was set up good with the current version and I played about 15-20 hours with way less crashes, then I installes the current Linux Mint 17 which somehow stopped WinXP booting (dualboot was no problem with Mint 16), so I tried installing Mint 17 again, made a terrible mistake while in the installation menu (partition table was deleted while I only browsed through the options to find the solution without actually starting the install, very bad behaviour of Mint!) and killed most data on my harddrive for good including the savestate.

A few months passed, I set up Gothic 3 again in my WinXP partition some time ago and gave it a try for the third time now, played all the way back to where I was and game started crashing my whole system again (and driving my CPU-cooler dangerously loud) when loading a game or quitting the program while already having loaded the last state.

I may back up my current save state, but I've given up for good now and may come back to this game someday when I have a PC with at least 16gb fast RAM and no online DRM stuff like with Win7 that can run this game properly. Way newer games don't make as much problems and can often be played in very high settings, while Gothic3 still doesn't really care how I set the graphics.
It's a shame, because I got accustomed to the changes from the previous parts now and started enjoying the game.

I'm playing "Zax - The Alien Hunter" now via WINE and it's refreshing to not have any technical problems...
Having to quit games for technical reasons is just really bad.
Post edited October 10, 2014 by Klumpen0815
hyperagathon: The Bard's Tale (2004) - It's hard to believe this is a inXile game. Constant loading. Annoying camera. Console controls. No depth to the game whatsoever. I did enjoy a few snippy lines, but decided it wasn't worth it in the end.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who disliked the game. Everyone seems to love this game, I just couldn't.