It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Looks like it’s up to me to get the ball rolling again this year :)!!

This game was one I put on hold in 2016 and just came back to it now before finally deciding to call it quits, so I'm putting it on the 2017 list.

~~~~

Space Quest 5 (I played the DOS version via ScummVM)

I found this game much more boring and not as funny as the previous games. It seemed to be mainly a Star Trek parody rather than just being funny in it’s own right, and most of the jokes fell flat in my opinion. I quit not too far into the game, during an annoying action sequence on the first planet.
Yesterday I tried for the third time to get into Star Wars: Republic Commando.
I quit after half an hour after my squad had been wiped out. Somehow this game is just meh to me...I've never been that great a fan of shooters but I did enjoy the original Half-Life and its expansion and the Jedi Knight games. But in those games you actually get to explore your environment and have a nice selection of weapons. Republic Commando (admittedly judging from the little I've seen) by contrast seems to be pretty linear...and its weapons didn't feel satisfying at all. Also seemed like the game with its squad mechanics would get difficult and confusing.
Probably just not the kind of game for me.
I'm done with Rainbow Six 3 Gold, specifically Raven Shield.
Made it to the seventh mission (Meat Packing Plant) on Veteran difficulty, and after a good 20 tries (anywhere between 2-17 minutes each try) of botching the rescuing of the last two hostages (when I happen to make it that far) because of the AI insta-killing either of them as soon as they hear so much as a pin drop, I'm done with this game. I enjoyed the game up to that point, and would've kept on enjoying it, but the absence of even a single checkpoint at any point mid-mission just became way too frustrating for me. Clearly the Vegas series has ruined me, as I have no interest in the 'Mission planning' aspect of the game. Man, I'm pissed off.
I'm currently contemplating giving up with Company of Heroes. It's not that it's a bad game, and I do enjoy it when I play a mission. The problem is I have no motivation to start the game. I keep starting other games, and the last time I played it was around a month ago. I'm on mission 9 or so, and that's not even half way through.
I played and quit a game called Void (1998), which is a Japanese Myst-like first person adventure game. I played for about 90 minutes or so and saved and found when I came back to play it later that the restore game function didn't work. It spits out a couple errors and then asks me for a Macromedia Director file of some kind. Unless I can figure out what compatibility problem I'm having, I'm probably done for good with the game.

EDIT: I just played the game all the way through in one sitting, so disregard the above. It's finished now.
Post edited January 12, 2017 by Dysphoric1
Just gave up on Uplink: Hacker Elite(GOG version).
The game concept itself is interesting, how it was implemented did not sync with me.
Retried the tutorial 3 times, and the actual game 4 times, and each try the "gameplay" was less & less interesting, and more "selecting, dragging, and dropping icons across the screen while timers ran down in the background".

Boredom with the gameplay & lack of interest in the plot are why I gave up on Uplink.
Post edited January 18, 2017 by morrowslant
morrowslant: Just gave up on Uplink: Hacker Elite(GOG version).
The game concept itself is interesting, how it was implemented did not sync with me.
Retried the tutorial 3 times, and the actual game 4 times, and each try the "gameplay" was less & less interesting, and more "selecting, dragging, and dropping icons across the screen while timers ran down in the background".

Boredom with the gameplay & lack of interest in the plot are why I gave up on Uplink.
Curiously enough the (let's call it that way) marketing on Uplink caught my attention so much back in the day, way more than Darwinia and yeah pretty much what you've said happened to me. Weird eh?
I gave up on retro city rampage. I love retro games, I like new games trying to be retro (if done right), I even like gta 1 and 2. I like references in games even if they are really really obvious. This one i really couldn't get into. Tried it on and off in 2016. Hated it every time. Played it again this week, decided to never touch it again ;)
morolf: Yesterday I tried for the third time to get into Star Wars: Republic Commando.
This might get me lynched, considering the game's fanbase, but I don't think that game has aged well at all.
Just gave up on The Masterplan. Just couldn't take the crazy amount of things wrong with the game. I was near the end even. I only had 3 more levels to go, but it was too much. The lag, the getting stuck everywhere, the crashes. It was all just too much in the end.

I also quit Company of Heroes yesterday. Something about it just didn't grab me in the long run. I got to mission 10, and that mission just sucked all the fun out of it.

Another game I've quit this week is Massive Chalice, as I found it entirely too shallow compared to the competitors. I could feel a good game being there just out of reach, as is so often the case (almost always?) with Doublefine games.

And the f inal game I've given up on this week is The Red Solstice. I got to mission 6 out of 10, and was tired of micromanaging, and poor design. The final straw was when in the middle of a long mission, half my team got stuck between two doors that closed permanently, and so I couldn't finish the mission. I realized I wasn't having much fun, and it was just a grind.

I feel much better having let these games go to the wastebasket so to speak, as it'll free me up to focus on games I really want to play instead.
Underground 2
First games quit in 2017!

<span class="bold">The Path to Luma</span> (Android)

I quit this game on its very last level after expending too much time on it and never getting even near to solving the puzzle. Later on I checked a video walkthrough and realized I would've never beaten it, as it relied on a mechanic that had never been explained or, worse, been needed before in the whole game. Oh my...

And it's a pity not having completed it, because otherwise it's an interesting casual puzzle game, with nice visuals (though they were quite taxing on my tablet's GPU despite using low-poly graphics), intuitive gameplay, and an environmentalist message.

<span class="bold">Bonza</span> & <span class="bold">Bonza National Geographic</span> (Android)

These two games are a mixture of crossword and jigsaw puzzles and everyday there is a new daily puzzle, usually with a theme related to the date. Every solved puzzle warrants you some virtual coins, that you can either spend on hints or on buying puzzle packs (not all of them though, as some can only be obtained with real money). You can also choose to watch a video-ad after finishing a puzzle to gain further coins.

The aforementioned daily puzzles unlock exactly at midnight in your local time zone, so most of the days I used to solve them right after getting into bed (unless I fell asleep with the phone in my hands :P). So I played both games daily for more than one year and a half, but I decided to quit them after the changes introduced in 2017: a little reminiscent of Valve's practices, the devs decided to 'open the floodgates' and seemingly accept any user-made puzzle that came their way. So now, instead of a 'curated' daily puzzle there's a batch of them, and you are randomly assigned one. "Do you want another puzzle? Show me the (virtual) money, baby!" Plus, they have reduced the amount of coins earned when solving a puzzle, so now you've got to grind for quite longer before being able to unlock a new puzzle pack. No, thanks.
Just quit Patrician 1, mainly because without a game manual to look at, I had no idea how anything worked in game.
GOG extra's for Patrician 1 are HD wallpaper, and.......<cricket chirps>.
morrowslant: Just quit Patrician 1, mainly because without a game manual to look at, I had no idea how anything worked in game.
GOG extra's for Patrician 1 are HD wallpaper, and.......<cricket chirps>.
If you're still willing to give it a go, you can find the game's manual (along with others) on ZFR's missing manuals thread:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_gog_games_with_missing_manuals_and_where_to_find_them/post2
Thank you.
Willing to give it a another go, patrician 1 is getting pushed back a few more next game 2 play's until I actually read that manual.