It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Need for Speed Heat on PS4.
Was alright, didn't care about the story, nice cars.
F4LL0UT: Just beat Yakuza 6: The Song of Life on PS4. As I've noticed thanks to this very thread that makes it the fifth Yakuza game I have beaten this year and the seventh one in total. Yes, my brain is complete mush at this point.

So, all in all I loved it. I always suspected that it would be one of the best in the series since it's fairly recent and not held back by being a remake. Not as good as Yakuza 0 but probably in my top 3, somewhere between Kiwami and Kiwami 2.

I won't say too much about the story as 1. barely anyone here knows the series well enough to care and 2. those who care surely don't want any spoilers from such a heavily story-driven series. Without saying too much: this story starts out with something extremely personal and that in itself makes this one of the most engaging games in the series. There's of course once again some highly convoluted yakuza plot that Kiryu gets involuntarily drawn into but at its core the story is about something that anyone who cares about the main characters will also immediately care about.

Famously this is the conclusion of Kiryu's story. I assumed that would mean that it would be a celebration of all the popular characters and locations in the series. I was wrong. Oddly enough most mainstays of the series are barely featured here and some do not appear at all (it pains me to say that Majima is virtually absent here). Instead much of the game takes place in a new location, Onimichu, and the plot largely revolves around a whole bunch of new characters. The good news is that this new cast is very interesting and likeable and luckily their story ties very nicely into the aforementioned highly personal plot. Even though I was a bit disappointed by the absence of some of my old favourites, I think that Yakuza 6 has one of the best plots in the series and I enjoyed it immensely.

Besides that: this was the first game in the series developed specifically for PS4, so in terms of technology and also many mechanics it's quite a huge leap over Yakuza 3-5 (and to a slightly lesser degree 0 and Kiwami). Now, the odd thing is that I already knew Yakuza 6's technology and mechanics from Kiwami 2 but playing Kiwami 2 I had not quite recognised how big a leap it was - probably because Kiwami 2 stuck with a bunch of standards from the original Yakuza 2 on the PS2. Yakuza 6 looks much better and has better animations and physics and seamless connections between locations and so on - albeit at the cost of 30 FPS only, even on the PS4 Pro. That made the action feel a bit "floaty" and the controls a bit unresponsive to me at first but I actually got used to it after a few hours and I appreciated what I got in return. Yakuza 6's Kamurocho is just so much more gorgeous and alive than anything in the earlier games.

Another thing is that the game was downscaled a lot but all in all I feel that it was for the better. You only play as Kiryu here and his set of attacks is quite small but more meaningful and combat feels a bit more "organised" here - importantly the set of heat actions is heavily reduced here and you won't inevitably get a chance to use those every couple of punches. Likewise, access to healing items has been heavily restricted (I haven't found a single shop that carries the most powerful ones). As a result I felt that I had to put a lot more effort into actually fighting enemies here - just spamming consumables and destroying enemies with heat actions non-stop was not an option here. A major improvement is also that the lock-on of enemies was heavily nerfed and Kiryu's was improved - as a result the game doesn't suffer from the often annoying issue of the series that there is no way to get behind enemies while they can do so just fine. I'm not sure I'd say that all of this makes Yakuza 6's combat the best in the series but it certainly feels more polished than in most entries in the series. Oh yeah, and I think it's the only series where you can't equip any weapons (only pick up ones that are lying around) which I did not mind at all as I found the equippable weapons weird and unfitting all along.

Finally, the optional stuff: shockingly this is the one game in the series (at least up to 6) that is fully voiced. Substories finally barely differ in style or production value from the main story stuff. I kinda always wanted that in a Yakuza game and while it's pretty neat I also kinda miss how it was before. I actually always loved how the substories offered a very different mood and pace than the main storyline and the voiced dialogue ironically isn't nearly as expressive and funny as the terribly produced optional stuff from the earlier games - so I'm honestly not sure that I'd rate this as an improvement all in all. And generally the substories are actually quite mundane here. I guess it kinda works better with the mood of the main story but the truth is that I always appreciated the comic relief that the substories gave me - that's largely gone here.

Besides that there's a whole bunch of minigames with stories here. There's a new fishing game in the form of a rail shooter, there's the Clan Creator which is practically a small RTS (and plays very much like the Majima Construction thing in Kiwami 2, albeit a bit less refined), there's a weird thing where you make friends in a pub by drinking with them and finally there's a pretty advanced baseball management game here which I left for after the main story as it's a tad complicated and I don't know jack about baseball. And of course there's a ton of smaller stuff, be it classics like picking up girls in a cabaret club, playing SEGA classics in an arcade and all sorts of gambling games as well as new stuff like a workout minigame and the ability to participate in live chat with cute girls in live motion video. There's also a whole lot of other things, some of which I probably haven't even discovered yet. Bottom line: it's probably one of the most extensive Yakuza games in terms of side activities. I beat the game in "only" 36 hours but I'm sure that I can get at least a dozen more hours out of this game without getting bored.

Anyway, I really like Yakuza 6. It isn't all that I expected but it's a bunch of other cool things that I did not expected. I feel that the game isn't quite the big ending to Kiryu's saga that I was hoping for but it's hell of a good Yakuza game nonetheless.

That's seven games down, four more to go including spin-offs (and another three if they ever decide to finally translate the three Yakuza games that remain Japanese-only).
I know they're done with Kiryus story, but I just want to see an ending sequence where he's together with that police officer, what's her name again? He really deserves a happy ending. :(

...and before I forget *ahem* Kiryu-chan!
Post edited December 19, 2020 by NuffCatnip
Kingdom of Amalur Re-Reckoning + Teeth of Naros + Kel the Dead

AT LAST!!!!
I don't know how many times I started the original game from scrach, after enthusiastically playing it and gradually losing interest in it for more recent games...

I don't know what changed with the remaster, because honestly at least for the parts I played again and again in the original game, I didn't really see any difference on any point. But as they say, "x times the charm" (right? right?).

Globally, it was a nice game, but a bit on the "too easy" side, since from at least the middle of the game I steamrolled on almost anything, and once I started dabbing in armory, creating my own weapons and armors, it was almost as if I was cheating.

But it's not really a problem, I usually play games more for the stories than for the challenge itself.

Visually, it was very cartoonish, but in a good way. Very "WoW" I'd say, but that didn't bother me. The handling of the character was smooth and the different options with the different weapons and the levelling up interesting. Plus you can completely change your build almost at anytime just by visiting a NPC, pay a sum and redistribute your skill points. Very nice for those who want to try new things.

The story was.. the story. To be honest, very standard medieval fantasy fare, not bad at all, but nothing groudbreaking. The lore was quite developed and that's always a plus in my book.

The only negative points were that you are limited to level 40, which is too low when you have a long main game + two DLCs. Too bad the remaster didn't address that issue. The second point was that the cameras weren't always ideal and made the action a bit messy at times.

But, all in all, a good game, a good experience and 60+ hours well spent!

So far in 2020: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2020/post29

[removed double text]
Post edited December 20, 2020 by xa_chan
xa_chan: Kingdom of Amalur Re-Reckoning + Teeth of Naros + Kel the Dead
FYI you double-pasted into your post.
kalirion: FYI you double-pasted into your post.
ah sh----, My computer had a hiccup precisely at that time and I didn't realize. Thanks !
'Finished' Baldurs Gate III, as in played through the content that we got so far. I've had a lot of fun playing the game, even through the harder encounters, one level up really makes a difference in this game btw. :D
Excited for the upcoming patches and content. If they keep it up, it's going to be great!

AT LAST!!!!
I don't know how many times I started the original game from scrach, after enthusiastically playing it and gradually losing interest in it for more recent games...
I'll have to get back to that game in the near future, I played through a bit of the main quest only to get lost in the many side quests. At least I 100%ed the two DLCs, I liked Teeth of Naros less personally, but it was still enjoyable. The combat gets repetitive fast, but it's still a blast to play. Thanks for having mentioned the game. :)
Recently installed Little inferno and beaten it in 3 days with over 5 hours. Too bad i burned the hug coupon by accident since i pulled it to the fireplace and when i noticed that i exited the game but it still counted as losing that item. No way of returning items when you put them in the fireplace even without burning.
Otherwise liked the game, still needed a list for a few combos since i didn't know all of them.
Post edited December 21, 2020 by Fonzer
Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition, Dec 20 (GOG)-After about 80-85 hours I finally finished it. The result of my final battle was a little bittersweet but I felt it was fitting based on the themes of the rest of the game, although by the end the entire relationship most of the plot is based on feels rather forced. And Zandalor is the biggest macguffin and least developed character in the game.

The opening act in Cyseal was excellent and I really had to fight for each equipment and level upgrade. By Silverglen my characters were generally outclassing the enemies but I still had to be careful. By the time I got to the Phantom Forest combat against non-bosses was pretty easy. The plot seemed to follow a similar arc. Cyseal was quite good investigating a murder, Silverglen was good but plateaued, and then the Phantom Forest was a bit of a letdown.

The combat tactics were really fun and I felt like what the Infinity engine may have evolved into eventually. The economy was a bit broken by Silverglen and I finished the game with almost 300k gold and thousands more in unsold equipment I left lying around. I didn't get a chance to really experience the magic side as I didn't have the mage in my party. I think I would have preferred a party of 6 so you could have all 4 companions with you and then scale up the difficulty appropriately. As it was I didn't have the thief either which was a bit of a pain. I also really under utilized the Homestead area as I only went there for additional dialogue.

The voice acting was excellent and the writing was very good even if the plot itself was a little bit much. I really liked the banter between the two main characters and happening upon conversations between NPCs. The music was also incredible when usually its just part of the background.

A couple of complaints. Bairdotr's quest was really disappointing and I had to cheese it. And even at the end she says she's still looking for Jareth. The source temple puzzle sections were really tedious. I had a glitch where the sisters wouldn't follow me into the final battle and I had to attack them first to get them to follow. I often found myself misclicking in combat resulting in moving next to an enemy instead of actually attacking them. Finally, the camera was pretty bad. I really wanted to be able to zoom out a little more.

Overall this was an excellent game. In a year of really good games I think this was my favorite. I do think the final act could have been tweaked and improved a little bit but I'm not sure how I would do it. I'm also not sure what additional playthrus would net, 2 more companion stories and a use of magic instead of ranged attacks but that's about it.

Full List
Post edited December 21, 2020 by muddysneakers
Ys IV: Dawn of Ys. This is a return to the style of the first two games with the bump combat. It's very much the same thing, but with higher production values/more anime cutscenes. I know some people have trouble getting their heads around the idea of fighting by simply running into enemies, but the way they do it in these games really works, at least for me. It's very fast moving and you want to try hitting them a bit off-center, sort of like a top-down version of Joust, and then the boss battles can be a bit challenging in how they require you to dodge and often shoot the boss with your magic.
NuffCatnip: 'Finished' Baldurs Gate III, as in played through the content that we got so far. I've had a lot of fun playing the game, even through the harder encounters, one level up really makes a difference in this game btw. :D
Excited for the upcoming patches and content. If they keep it up, it's going to be great!

AT LAST!!!!
NuffCatnip: I'll have to get back to that game in the near future, I played through a bit of the main quest only to get lost in the many side quests. At least I 100%ed the two DLCs, I liked Teeth of Naros less personally, but it was still enjoyable. The combat gets repetitive fast, but it's still a blast to play. Thanks for having mentioned the game. :)
Yes, Teeth of Naros was maybe the shortest one, even if I quite liked it's "greek-ish" atmosfere.
Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes Of An Elusive Age (XSX Game Pass)

A long game. Too long for its own good in the end. Very high production values. It's a very traditional JRPG, if it just had random enemy encounters that pop up out of thin air then it would be just like a modern version of an original 8 bit NES Final Fantasy. In fact you can even play the game in a 16 bit retro mode where the enemies actually do jump you out of no where just like the old days. When played in modern 3D mode the enemies are all visible on the map so that you can just run around them and rarely ever fight- which of course would leave you hopelessly under leveled for later bosses.

It's totally linear even though it tries to pretend it isn't. The most annoying part are the choices. The game is always offering up choices yes/no, except there is only ever one answer. If you try the other answer the game just goes into a loop until you pick the answer it wants. So why have choices that aren't?

Okay, despite everything the game was a lot of fun for the first act. It's all really predictable, but the story is still good and the characters are actually great. Like usual you wander around the map collecting six doohickies and upgrading your equipment and characters and fight the big bad dude. Except it's scripted that you loose. Then you start all over again, regather your party, regather the doohickies retread the same areas and unlock all the same fast travel points. Honestly, the second half feels more like a glorified New Game Plus. By the end I'd had enough...but at least the end was pretty good, I have to admit. Except it's not the end. It's an end sure, you get the credits and get to revisit people and places for closure. You can leave it there and consider it the standard ending. But there's the "true" ending. Get ready to do it all again in a sort of alternative timeline kind of thing. Mostly same areas...except this time your team are all set back to their levels from the end of the first act...no shit you have to level them all again! And you need to because the final boss (i mean for real this time) is about three times harder than anything else. You know what? Screw the "true" ending.

In the end this one went on too long and became boring. I'm going to have to file it under "games that everyone else adores except for me. Though, despite everyone seeming to love the game, few seem to love it enough to actually finish it- according to achievement stats only 2% of players have bothered to get to the regular ending and less than 1% the true ending.
Post edited December 21, 2020 by CMOT70
Gears 5: Hivebusters (XSX)

A short free story DLC for the base game that just released recently. It's about 4 hours long maximum and tells of the how the Hivebuster team originated. It's well made and since it's free there's no point not playing it if you have the base game anyway. I think its primary purpose was to showoff some of the capability of the new Xbox hardware. To that end it looks different to most Gears campaigns...it's set in jungle and swamp and everything is lush and green. Otherwise the usual Gears game play.
SNIPER GHOST WARRIOR: CONTRACTS (PS4)

While there were more varied environments in Contracts vs SGW3, almost everything was done better in SGW3 -- sniping feedback, traversal, map design (areas). Not a complete waste of time, but made me want to play SGW3 again.
AI: The Somnium Files

A dark story with plenty of twists and well-written and likeable characters, from the creators of the Zero Trilogy games. If you are into visual novels, this is a game you shouldn't miss.
I have finally finished the main campaign of Shadowrun Hong Kong - Extended Edition, the third installment in the series. The game is as good as two previous entries, with the exception of some of the extremely text heavy intermezzos in Heoi, which were in my opinion little bit bloated. This does not change the fact, that I had a lot of fun with the rest of the game. In the end, I was able to shut down The Fortune Machine, unfortunately with Raymond having to sacrifice himself :( .

Next in line is the short campaign from the Deluxe Edition of the game.

All of my games finished in 2020 can be found >>>HERE<<<