It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Mega Man: Super Fighting Robot
Another fantastic fan-made Mega Man (8-bit) game. Kind of on the easy side, especially if you invest in the cool upgrades, but still excellent all the way through. Great level design, bosses and soundtrack along with a whole bunch of bonus and special modes which can be unlocked after beating the game once. A good bit of humor in this one, too.
I think I enjoyed this one more than Mega Man Unlimited.
Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - finished this one early in January, but never got around to putting it on the list. Overall a great game and one that, IMO, deserves the high praise it gets.

Did have a couple issues with quests that wouldn't fire or just plain glitched out (ran into the widely reported invulnerable witcher from the cat school). Managed to work around that one, but another would not start no matter what solution I tried, and I didn't get to see the 'epilog' scenes with Geralt's love of choice at the end (had to look it up on youtube to see it). Other than that, no real issues. Had the settings cranked way up and it looked gorgeous on the new rig.

One thing I do find odd is how there are many people that decry other games for fetch and/or fetch-and-kill quests, yet this game has a ton of them. Oh sure, they're categorized as 'witcher contracts' but they're still there. And how many bloody smugglers are there in Spikeroog? I eventually gave up investingating all the markers in the water, as they were almost invariably the 3 smuggler chests guarded by the same limited group of monsters. One of my few gripes with the game.

Other quests (many of the secondary, and the main quests) were very well done though, and CDProjekt deserves many kudos for those ones.

Gwent was fun, but I couldn't be arsed finding all the cards or trying to defeat the players in each area to get better/more cards.

Anyway, haven't got the ambition to get into a long detailed breakdown of the game. Just thought I'd post a couple of observations.

Trying out a few games right now to see what grabs my attention, but I've been playing W3 so long that I'm not sure what I'm in the mood for now.
Jedi Outcast
morolf: Gabriel Knight: Sins of the fathers 20th anniversary edition

Got this for free during a sale, played it now since I had missed the original. Pretty good adventure game, nice graphics and good voiceover. Puzzles were generally good though I had to make liberal use of the integrated hints system and look in a walkthrough a few times, but that was more due to my impatience, most of the puzzles were logical. Story was pretty stupid imo and could be seen as somewhat racist, but by the standards of pc games it was ok.
On the whole worth a playtrough, I'd recommend it, though perhaps you should wait for a sale, full price is pretty high.
My rating: 4/5.

List of my finished games in 2017:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2017/post77
I played this last year, a few of the puzzles I thought were absolutely impossible. I forget but I think one was the code at the graveyard and codes had something to do with books, no idea how it came together though.
supplementscene: I played this last year, a few of the puzzles I thought were absolutely impossible. I forget but I think one was the code at the graveyard and codes had something to do with books, no idea how it came together though.
I had to look in a walkthrough for that voodoo code in the graveyard puzzle as well, definitely one where more hints should have been given...but probably solvable for experienced adventure gamers with patience (which I didn't have).
One puzzle I found totally obscure though was that clock puzzle in Grandma Knight's attic...supposedly one gets the combination from a poem in the bookshop. No idea how one's supposed to figure that out.
Mirror's Edge Catalyst

At last an "AAA" game after all the Vns I did recently!

Mirror's Edge world is still visually stunning and frankly speaking the controls are almost perfect so yes, the feeling of free-running is here.

Now, the story is another... story. Frankly I had a hard time to feel involved in the scenario. Quite bland, and many times there are important NPCs that speak over your radio and you answer nothing, it just feel... placated.

Deliveries and time trial feel also a little out of place. Given the main scenario, I don't see why I should bother with them. And for many of them they are just not logical, thinking that all those NPCs could have their packets delivered in a much safer and more efficient way... Oh well...

All in all, not a bad game, on the contrary, but far from a masterpiece. And from the clifhanger, I guess there are some chances we get a Mirror's Edge 3 one of these days.

So far in 2017: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2017/post15
<span class="bold">The Last Door: Season One</span> (replay)

I bought Season 2 during one of the recent gazillion sales held by GOG, but in order to refresh my memory I decided to re-play Season 1 before. And indeed my memory needed refreshing in more ways than I thought, as I didn't remember the first game run on friggin' Adobe AIR. I considered for a moment to just give up and go straight to Season 2, but in the end I found out how to install AIR on Arch Linux so I was good to go.

Technichal hurdles aside, Season 1 turned out to be as good as I remembered it: an excellent point'n'click adventure with a simple interface, some even simpler graphics, a glorious soundtrack and a gripping story full of suspense and supernatural phenomena. The big chunky pixel art is probably due to this game's humble web-based origins but it perfectly serves the psychological horror theme.

Since I just wanted a quick review of the story I used a walkthrough every time I got slightly stuck, but to my credit that didn't happen very often. I did use it to find all the secrets though, and I really doubt anybody will find them on their own as most of them require the player to do counter-intuitive things or to go against the flow of the narrative. But then again, they are more like non-sequiturs and are in no way essential for, or add anything to, the main story.

<span class="bold">The Last Door: Season Two</span>

After finishing Season 1 I jumped right into Season 2, and it is just more of the same... which of course is a very good thing. The chapters in this season seemed longer than before, but of course that could just be a matter of perception as I wasn't using a walkthrough this time around. Otherwise, the story was as dark, creepy and tense as in the first 4 chapters, the graphics were as blocky as ever (though I think I spotted some nice lighting and 2D-particle effects here and there, probably a benefit of using a 'real' game engine), and the music and sound effects were as brilliant and as atmospheric as in Season 1.

If I had to nitpick, I'd complain about how some of the sub-plots felt a little shallow, as if they were thought out at the last minute just to fill the gaps in the main storyline. However this doesn't prevent me from recommending it wholeheartedly to anyone who liked the first game, as it is an excellent conclusion for this story... or is it? Doesn't the end (or at least one of them) kind of hint at a possible Season 3?

My list of finished games in 2017
Finished in 2017:
● 1993 ● 23h ● [28.01] Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos []
● 2015 ● 08h ● [11.02] Broken Age []
● 1982 ● 10h ● [05.03] Ultima II: The Revenge of the Enchantress []
● 2013 ● 17h ● [25.03] Shadowrun Returns []
● 2012 ● 03h ● [13.05] Dark Arcana: The Carnival []
● 1996 ● 16h ● [13.06] Duke Nukem 3D []
● 2014 ● 07h ● [14.06] Nightmares from the Deep 3: Davy Jones []
● 2016 ● 27h ● [15.06] Dungeon Rats []
● 1991 ● 05h ● [02.07] Gobliiins []
● 2016 ● 03h ● [08.07] Cursed []
● 2007 ● 06h ● [15.07] The Blackwell Legacy []
● 2007 ● 56h ● [13.08] The Witcher []
● 2015 ● 04h ● [15.08] Dropsy []
● 2015 ● 03h ● [15.08] 9 Clues 2: The Ward []
● 2015 ● 06h ● [24.08] Agatha Christie - The ABC Murders []
● 2013 ● 03h ● [30.08] Knock-Knock []
● 2015 ● 03h ● [08.09] Mind Snares: Alice's Journey []
● 1996 ● 02h ● [16.10] D: The Game []
● 1993 ● 07h ● [17.10] Prehistorik 2 []
● 2014 ● 05h ● [28.10] The Last Door: Collector's Edition []
● 2016 ● 04h ● [29.10] The Interactive Adventures of Dog Mendonca & Pizza Boy []
● 2014 ● 03h ● [29.10] Detective Grimoire []
● 2009 ● 06h ● [11.11] Machinarium []
● 1991 ● 05h ● [17.11] Duke Nukem []
● 2014 ● 08h ● [11.11] Door Kickers []
● 2010 ● 10h ● [19.11] NecroVisioN: Lost Company []
● 1997 ● 09h ● [03.12] MDK []
● 1988 ● 06h ● [09.12] Hillsfar []
● 2017 ● 04h ● [23.12] Scanner Sombre []
● 2016 ● 05h ● [30.12] The Final Station []
● 2014 ● 08h ● [31.12] The Whispered World: Special Edition []

>>> 2018 >>>
Post edited January 02, 2018 by ciemnogrodzianin
A Wizard's Lizard

Binding of Isaac, is that you? What do you mean "no"? You sport the same visual style and gameplay. Hell, you also demand that a playthrough be completed in just one run, without saving or suspending your game. Oh, you are actually not grotesque... and you can also be played with a gamepad or a mouse. Cool, cool.

As you surmised, A Wizard's Lizard is like Binding of Isaac; a roguelite top-down shooter with room layouts similar to the dungeons of the first Legend of Zelda (unlike Isaac and Zelda, though, the game has larger rooms that span more than one screen). It doesn't have the variety, nice soundtrack, length or the grotesque content and it's also pretty easy, thanks to the following factors:

1) Gold. It's plentiful and you'll end up having far more than what it's necessary to buy anything expensive that the shopkeepers might sell you. Yes, that includes health items.

2) Even if you die, it's not the end. You'll respawn at the spot as a ghost and you'll have to fight the spirits of the dead enemies, as well as those you previously encountered. If you die again, then it's game over. If, on the other hand, you find the special room with the red symbol (there is 1 per area), then you'll return to life with half of your health. If you then die again, you'll turn into a ghost again and, etc, etc.

3) Aside gold, there are plenty of drops, like health items and soul orbs. The latter one can be used to deal even more damage to multiple enemies and be further enhanced by the availability of multiple equipment parts (head, hand, belt, boots, etc).

In the end, if you are looking for a relatively easy and short roguelite with a bit of variety, A Wizard's Lizard might do the trick. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.

Full list.

Link to the official site (since muntdefems asked):
http://awizardslizard.gamepedia.com/A_Wizard%27s_Lizard_Wiki
Post edited January 24, 2017 by Grargar
supplementscene: I played this last year, a few of the puzzles I thought were absolutely impossible. I forget but I think one was the code at the graveyard and codes had something to do with books, no idea how it came together though.
morolf: I had to look in a walkthrough for that voodoo code in the graveyard puzzle as well, definitely one where more hints should have been given...but probably solvable for experienced adventure gamers with patience (which I didn't have).
One puzzle I found totally obscure though was that clock puzzle in Grandma Knight's attic...supposedly one gets the combination from a poem in the bookshop. No idea how one's supposed to figure that out.
Yes that was another unsolvable puzzle imo. I can only think they made more money selling game guides around this time by putting near impossible puzzles in there. Game shops had loads of game guides back then so there is incentive for them to throw in a game breaking puzzle.

BTW Moebius is from the same writer and worth a play on sale for a couple of Euros. And there aren't any impossible puzzles. You can check my recent posts for a review or pm me if you can't find it.
Grargar: Link to the official site (since muntdefems asked):
http://awizardslizard.gamepedia.com/A_Wizard%27s_Lizard_Wiki
(♥‿♥)

Now update the 'One-day Games' thread and I'll officially love you. :P
muntdefems: Now update the 'One-day Games' thread and I'll officially love you. :P
.... crap. I completely forgot that it existed. :/

Will do so tomorrow.
supplementscene: BTW Moebius is from the same writer and worth a play on sale for a couple of Euros. And there aren't any impossible puzzles. You can check my recent posts for a review or pm me if you can't find it.
Thanks for the recommendation, read your review. Opinion about that game seems to be somewhat mixed, but I might get it when it's on sale.
On the 17th of this January:

PC:
+Touhou 12 - Undefined Fantastic Object (Sanae A, Normal, 1CC)
It was going to happen. If TH15 and TH12 couldn't stop me, neither would TH12 even with its somewhat awkward UFO mechanic.

I'm not sure why this is a step down from the otherwise great TH11, but at least it can get credit for the characters themselves.

The list is only just getting started.
muntdefems: Now update the 'One-day Games' thread and I'll officially love you. :P
Grargar: .... crap. I completely forgot that it existed. :/

Will do so tomorrow.
Cool, thanks!