It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I finished my first game of the year: the Doctor Who Adventure Games Episode 1. Next up: 2-4.

I am close to finishing Geneforge (I think, not having completed it before) but I also just started up Skyrim, which keeps drawing me away with its awesomeness. Too many excellent games, not enough weekend!

My list
I just finished Home.
I did not enjoy it at all. There are many small decisions in the game, but it seemed like most of them were basically "would you like to continue, or be stuck in this area?"
The story is not "resolved". It is really vague, and left up to the player's interpretation. I hate this, whether it is a game, a movie, or TV series. I am fine with leaving a little bit to the imagination, but I don't enjoy feeling like the writer couldn't think of a good ending, so he makes you do it instead.
It took me an hour to complete, and the entire time I just wanted to get home so the game would end, because I was bored almost from the start.

Full list
AdamR: I did not enjoy it at all. There are many small decisions in the game, but it seemed like most of them were basically "would you like to continue, or be stuck in this area?"
Don't forget the best decision of all - would you like to pick up some receipt that's lying on the ground?

Anyway, I felt the same way about the game, it just didn't seem like there was anything engaging or interesting about it at all =/
Finished The Walking Dead: Season 2 - Episode 1. Really good but quite short unfortunately.

Full list here.
Woo, finished the new Spelunky for the first time :D
Include me
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ Now Playing ~

replaying Paper Mario 1000 year door for the 2nd time this year. (stress reliever)

Mystery PI: Counterfeit Cove - an old style HOG

Night of the Rabbit (I am so tickled to have been given this game!)

Nancy Drew: Captive Curse
(with Mom, which means I only play it when she feels like playing the game. These take quite awhile.)

Started Quest for Glory 1
(Its a Sierra Quest game. You laugh. You die. You restore. repeat)

~ Maybe Later ~

Andrea Weaver: Catch Me If You Can I give up. It sure was a nice gift. The graphics are really pretty etc, but my computer hates this game. I'll try it again when I can upgrade somehow.

Magician's Handbook II some of those items are just about impossible to see on this computer.

Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive fell wwaayyy behind on the community playthrough, but I will finish it sometime

Stacking
(Love the graphics, clever mechanics, but I wish I had a regular game controller on this)

Tried Avadon:The Black Fortress on Steam for some hours, but haven't grasped the battle mechanics quite yet. I'll try again later.

Still deciding whether to try again with Tex Murphy 1 (I hate that flying car!) - or move on to Martian Memorandum

Limbo on Steam
(It wants quicker reflexes than I have, so I couldn't finish, but I enjoyed the levels I managed to play)

~ Completely Finished~

Lume - the shortest adventure game yet! Took approximately half an hour to complete. I am so glad I was given this game. It was cute, but, wow, even most demos are longer than this

Midnight Mysteries 1: The Edgar Allan Poe Conspiracy Casual fun, besides, I am a fan of Poe's works :)
The first mystery was quite interesting, but they could have researched the second and third a bit better. There is some doubt locally that Kidd was ever a pirate, and given that his adventures were long over before Poe was born, there's no way Poe's murderers would be buried with Kidd's treasure (and it still be there.) Nice graphics and game-play though

Midnight Mysteries 2: Salem Witch Trials Well, there's no denying that it amused me for a few hours. Maybe its just been too long since I read Nathanial Hawthorne's stuff?

Midnight Mysteries 3: Devil on the Mississippi fun, pretty pics, silly premise

Midnight Mysteries 4: Haunted Houdini I liked the puzzles, and the stage acts, but sometimes had trouble knowing what to do next. Interesting take on the old mystery/controversy of Houdini's suspicious death. I'm not sure their answer is the right one really, but at least that was possible.

Gomo, short but fun adventure goodness. Graphics on it were interesting, to say the least. Seems like this team didn't believe in eye candy.

replayed Paper Mario:Thousand Year Door (another game replayed each winter)

Shadows: Price for Our Sins Bonus Edition
(It was a gift I promised I'd play right away or I'd have saved it for Halloween. Silly, but enjoyable.)

Replay of Mario Sunshine
(I replay this every winter. Too bad they never made another like it. FLUDD is very fun)

Lilly Looking Through
(incredibly short, but sweet. Are demo-length games the new fad?)

Replay of Journeymen 3: Legacy of Time (community playthrough)

Drawn the Painted Tower 1
Drawn 2: Dark Flight
Drawn 3: Trail of Shadow
(Plenty of puzzling goodness in them, some nice artwork, and the occasional truly poetic touch - but - the storyline just gets increasingly nonsensical as it goes.)

Plants vs Zombies - I finished my tree so now zombies explode into candy :D

Nancy Drew: Shadow at the Waters Edge (Finally!)

Kyrandia 1 - done & dusted. Glad I played it with a walkthrough. Half the time there wasn't even a hint of what you should have done next, and quite a few dead ends!

Ben There, Dan That (Almost worth the quarter spent on it.. almost.)
Time Gentlemen Please
(and I thought the first one was tasteless? This is a barrel full of you-don't-even-want-to-go--there. Yukka. :P)

Finished "To The Moon"
(after finally looking up the crashing problem in GoG's support section. They had the answer!)

Finished replaying Mario & Luigi RPG 1 (on my old DS Lite)

Finished Dear Esther. Played it much of the way through the first time. Quit and found it hadn't saved, then played through again to the end. Lovely & fascinating digital trek over a deserted island.

Bookworm Adventures 4
(I forgot about finishing it until recently)

replayed Legend of Zelda: WindWaker 1 (another cheery fave)

Amanda Rose: The Game of TIme (HOG adventure) Wow, was that silly. Methinks someone had a crush on Doc Brown from BttF3.

House of a 1000 Doors: Family Secrets
House of a 1000 Doors: Palm of Zoroaster
House of 1000 Doors: Serpent Flames

Played them because we had the opportunity & we like HOGs.PRO: some graphics were very nice, the puzzles were generally agreeable, CON: the silly plots had major continuity and logic issues. very little character development. Still, it was fun enough

Journey of a Roach seems fun, for an adventure set in a depressing post-apocalyptic landscape. At least the little bug has a cute voice :D

Empress of the Deep 1, 2, & 3 Nice graphics but the story was inconsistent and the endings were positively annoying. THis Jacob character is the person issuing instructions but you are shown evidence that he supported the villain, and did some evil things to creatures..and then suddenly he's on your side again? The evil opposition has too many ridiculous powers, is constantly destroying huge amounts of heritage, art, and stuff other lives are depending on, and is said in the letters left around to have possibly killed lots of people already, including her parents and possibly her mentor. So what's with the 'placatory' ending were the heroine is supposed to be 'asking for her forgiveness' and 'end the strife' by saying Pandora is still loved and its all okay really? Pandora had a one-sided war going on with her whole family and people. All the strife was inside her, according to the story. Anna had nothing she should apologize for.IN fact they have her apologizing to persuade Pandora not to kill everybody who is left behind in these pod thingies. She certainly hadn't repented so this was not the time for olive branches or bending of the knee to evil, selfish behavior. Basically, its another endless enemy trope where the bad guy is given way too much power and the good people too little. Seriously unimpressed with Jacob's gutless collaboration mindset. OTOH, there were many pretty scenes and I liked most of the puzzles too (minus the ones where you had to work out what tiny bit of painting went on it where. Some of those weren't well done. Overall..okay fun..okay silly, but pretty, and then other..gggrrrrrrr moment. lol

finished replay of Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon

Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart Arrgghh, Mateys! HoG Black Pearl style :D
It was about as cliched as expected, but I had fun with it. The only growl was the script calling some profoundly selfish, villainous behaviors noble & some reasonable actions called dishonorable. Those poor defenseless pirates were just massacred! *rolls eyes*

Lost Civilization - which is the HOG version of Nibiru.

Replayed Chronotrigger

Tiny Bang Story I was surprised at how much I liked this game. It's actually very simple, and fairly short. You collect bits of things, solve a few puzzles, and then reassemble some machine and travel onward. Its feel is between Samorost & Mortimer Beckett, but the soundtrack is better than both of those, and the peaceful feel reminds me a little of how I used to feel about Myst. Odd, but there you are.

Big City Adventure Rio - its just like all the others, but simplicity can be nice sometimes.

Gone Home - I liked how you had to find the clues and that would open more areas for you, also that the ending wasn't nearly as dark as I'd feared. Nice CG house too

What Makes You Tick - short, free online adventure with a pleasantly retro flair http://www.lassiegames.com/games/wmyt/

replayed for the zillionth time - Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past (yes the SNES classic)

replayed Christmas Puzzle & Crystal Path a couple of times each so far. They are so relaxing!
Post edited December 02, 2014 by SalarShushan
1-1-2014 I finished the final battle on Stronghold Crusader.
does it count if I beat left 4 dead 2 ? that's is technically my first game of the year
Alcatraz (PC)
Shadowrun Returns (base game) (PC)
Gone Home (PC)
Borderlands (and all the DLCs)
Woodletree Adventures (PC)
Heavy Fire: Shattered Spear (PC)
Darkspore (PC)
Farcry (PC)
Deathspank (PC)
Chester (PC)
Painkiller (PC)
Post edited September 05, 2014 by Neobr10
Finished How to Survive, and added it to my list. It was an okay game, when you take it into account that it is a budget game. The plot was almost non-existent, but since it's an imitation of zombie B-movies, it's not a big deal. The combat started to get a little dull about halfway through, but once I took a break for a few days, it was pretty fun again. And the main thing, combining things to make new, better things, was pretty interesting. But one thing that I simply couldn't help not notice: the game is littered with typos and inconsistencies with the dialog vs. subtitles throughout the entire game. Who proof read this shit? The zombies? 'Cause whoever was responsible in that field, clearly wasn't very intelligent. I hate it when game designers overlook such a simple thing: why, why would you spend thousands of hours making your game, but leave the text within looking like it was written by goddamn preschoolers? It wouldn't take that much extra effort to go through all that text, making sure it's absolutely correct, you know. Anyway, for the approximately five bucks I paid for the game, I think I got decent value for my money.
Post edited January 05, 2014 by DProject
I finished Episode 2 of the Doctor Who Adventure Games. These most likely don't merit a post each, but I don't feel bad since this thread has slipped to the second page.

The stealth puzzles seemed easier on this one, which is good because I'm terrible at sneaking, and the maneuverability has been frustrating. The puzzles in general aren't so much puzzles as doing what the game tells you to do next. But that's ok - as a big Doctor Who fan I'm enjoying it tremendously. The fact that they got Matt Smith and Karen Gillan to do the voices scores big points.

EDIT to add Episode 3, which I have finished as well. Quite short this one, although filled with little Easter eggs and trivia from both Classic Who and New Who. It was kind of a thrill to figure out how to take off the TARDIS.

My list
Post edited January 05, 2014 by Elinnea
GastonArg: does it count if I beat left 4 dead 2 ? that's is technically my first game of the year
I don't see why not. But really, it is your call.
Some people will count Command and Conquer if they finish one campaign, some won't count it until they finish both campaigns. Some people will count the two campaigns as finishing two separate games.
Nobody is wrong. It's all good.
Ku: Shroud of the Morrigan

Not that great with regards to polish and gameplay mechanics (combat), particularly not on the PC with mouse - or in my case touchpad; it's probably much better suited for playing on a tablet. Also very easy difficulty, hardly challenging, apart from the controls. But very original in design and setting; I liked the handdrawn graphics, and music and sound, although used sparingly, were quite good, too. Together with the story-telling and writing as well as the variation in gameplay and the few little puzzles it made playing Ku enjoyable despite the aforementioned shortcomings. The story itself seemed a bit sketchy, but it inspired me to research the Celtic myth it is based on. I thought the game had just the right length for what it is; I finished it in roughly two hours and it was entertaining enough to spend some time with while not overstaying its welcome. All in all, certainly not perfect, but sympathethic and original. Worth a try if you're open minded about indie games (and not too expensive either).
All right. My first game for 2014 had to be something special. And it was, and the credits just rolled through the screen.
Imagine a game with: crossdressing, having sex while drunk (with a drunk partner), beating a half-naked woman with a frying pan, said half-naked woman doing striptease in a public place, invading stranger's house and running around it completly naked...
Yes, my friends, the first game I completed in 2014 was...
JACK KEANE, part 1.
Proudly added to the list.
Also, took some (spoilerish) pictures for you if you want to see my exploits :)
Attachments:
naked.jpg (102 Kb)
Post edited January 05, 2014 by Novotnus
2013's post.

Asterisks are things I've beaten before, bolds are from here on GOG, italics are things I bought this year:

PC: (87)
The 39 Steps
6180 the moon
Abyss Odyssey
Amazing Princess Sarah
Ballpoint Universe: Infinite
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY
Betrayer
Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (multiple times)
Blade Kitten
Castle Crashers
Castle of Illusion
Costume Quest
Crystal Caves
Dementium II HD
Depth Hunter 2: Deep Dive
Dominique Pampelmousse
Dragon's Lair
Ducktales Remastered
Electronic Super Joy: Groove City
Escape Goat
Escape Goat 2
The Expandabros
Foul Play
Garshasp: The Monster Slayer
Garshasp: Temple of the Dragon
Gauntlet
Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition
Gunman Clive
Halo: Spartan Assault
Hammerwatch
Hard Reset (base game only, not the Exile expansion)
*Hexcells
Hexcells Plus
Hexcells Infinite
Jazzpunk
Journey of a Roach
Just Cause 2
Kairo
KAMI
KickBeat Steam Edition
The Lego Movie: Video Game
Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey
Lili: Child of Geos
LocoCycle
Love+
Luxuria Superbia
Megabyte Punch
Meltdown
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug X
Midnight Mysteries: The Edgar Allen Poe Conspiracy
Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae
Mr. Bree+
MURI
Nidhogg
Nihilumbra
One Finger Death Punch (twice)
Paranormal State: Poison Spring
PixelJunk Shooter
Pixel Puzzles: Japan
Pixel Puzzles: UndeadZ
Powerpuff Girls: Defenders of Townsville
Q*Bert Rebooted
Rayman Legends
Reversion ep. 1
The Room
Season Match HD
Season Match 2 HD
Season Match 3 HD
Serena
Shantae: Risky's Revenge - Director's Cut
Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles
Shovel Knight
Space Ace (3x)
Strider
Super Amazing Wagon Adventure
Super Win The Game
They Breathe
Toybox Turbos
Type:Rider
Viking: Battle For Asgard
Viscera Cleanup Detail: Santa's Revenge
Viscera Cleanup Detail: Shadow Warrior
Whispering Willows
Wooden Sen'SeY
Woodle Tree Adventures

NES: (8)
The Goonies
Gremlins 2
*Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu
*Kirby's Adventure
*Mega Man
*Mega Man 2
*Mega Man 3
*Mega Man 4

SNES: (1)
Chuck Rock

Game Boy: (2)
*Kirby's Dream Land
Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge

Sega Master System: (1)
Kung Fu Kid

Genesis: (3)
Alien Storm
Rocket Knight Adventures
Splatterhouse 2

Playstation 3: (1)
One Piece: Pirate Warriors

Turbografx-16: (2)
Bonk's Revenge
Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu

3DS: (11)
3D Classics: Kid Icarus
Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Mighty Gunvolt
Picross e
Picross e2
Picross e3
Picross e4
Picross e5
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (many, many times)
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call

Arcade: (4)
Aliens
ESWAT
Rail Chase II
Undercover Cops

...for a total of 120 games.
Post edited January 01, 2015 by AllisonUnderland