It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Finished 7 wonders: Ancient Alien Makeover.

I like this type of puzzle game having a set ending. You can go back and keep playing, but It marks a finality to an otherwise neverending and repetitive gameplay mechanic. And right about the time I was starting to get bored... it said, you won! Nice contrast to Bejeweled where you never really finish anything. You just keep comparing scores.

On the negatives, I completed all achievements save one. It was, IMHO, an achievement that was ANTI-productive. Accumulate 5 of the best powerups without using them on the same board. They should be encouraging use of them. This would be like offering an achievement in Thief for leaving loot behind. why? Even the completionist in me isn't keen on trying for that. With all the fuss over achievements, its painful to see 96%... like I haven't done it all... grrrrr.

Overall, nice distraction to fill in gaps while on the phone, eating lunch, or wanting a break from other gaming.
Max Payne 3
A decent game, but disappointingly unlike the first two games.
The entire game consists of: usually unskippable cutscene - a short sequence (of corrider/cover) shooting - usually unskippable cutscene - a short sequence (of corrider/cover) shooting and repeat for the entire game.
Sometimes it shakes things up by adding an unskippable cutscene after an unskippable cutscene and sometimes it tempts you by showing the 'Press X to skip' message, but only if skipping the cutscene takes as long as the cutscene itself.
That being said, the bullet time is still fun and the story is pretty decent.
SteamWorld Dig

I loved it. It's a Metroidvania at heart, but since you're basically making your own paths and tunnels, it's a refreshing take on the genre. It felt a little bit short and I would've loved to dig around even more, but at least the game didn't have the time to get repetitive that way. It was also a little bit too easy, especially once I possessed all upgrades. Anyway, those are only minor complaints: if you like Metroidvania games, be sure to check this one out.

Once again, thanks Licurg for gifting me this! I really enjoyed it.
Finished Divinity II: Ego Draconis. A very good game but quite difficult at times. The secondary quests were most of the time so weel written that it was not always easy to know if a quest was optional or not. I'll take a break before continuing with the add-on.

Full list here.
Among the Sleep
I'm a little torn here. I liked the atmosphere and the concept, but while playing the game, I often thought that it could have been much better. Not sure what was missing, maybe the game was too linear, maybe it was the slow-walking toddler that annoyed me (fortunately you can crawl which is much better) and maybe the game was trying to hard to make it's point.
The twist in the end was foreseeable (the developers left plenty of hints in the game) and yet left me quite sad. Think I'm not prepared for real-life horror in my computer games.

Complete list of finished games in 2014
Morrowind once again.
The Banner Saga.
Eschalon Book 1 & 2....just started the third.
Captain Claw

Coming from Monolith, the developers behind Blood, Shogo and Get Medieval, I expected something good from the game and I certainly got it!

Captain Claw is a very nice-looking platformer and its pirate setting makes the game an absolute blast to play. Its controls are simple, yet very finely tuned, you have access to a sword for close combat and a pistol, dynamite and some magic for ranged combat, giving you some extra punch to take out the enemies the way you want and the voice-overs give some very nice flair to the already nicely drawn pirate setting.

The game has 14 levels which might seem few, but each level's duration is pretty long, which can be a problem, especially on the later stages where the game is a bit too eager to become a case of trial and error. It won't be just once where you'll be making a leap of faith only to find that death awaits you and while checkpoints are not scarce, lives certainly are which means you must try not to die too many times. You can find extra lives (along with alternative paths and secrets), but only through the use of time-limited powerups, which is quite a disappointment. If you found Giana Sisters too frustrating of a game, Captain Claw with its limited lives will you give you a run for your money. Very nice, but brutally hard. Vote for it here!

P.S.: AMD users are advised to downgrade their drivers to 13.4 or lower if they want to play the game. Even then, you might still experience some colour corruption every now and then.

Updated my list.
Post edited June 08, 2014 by Grargar
Magic 2014

Fun game, really bare bones on the format as it's just card combat. Would have been nicer if they used their awesome, extensive lore and world to make a game like Etherlords or Heroes of Annihilated Empires. I finished the main + revenge campaigns, got all the planeswalkers decks, did a bunch of challenges, and now I am bored of it because there's nothing else.

Not bored of MTG, just Magic 2014; MTG is really fun. My favourite magic to use is Blue and Green (same amount), then Black and White (same amount), but Red not so much.

All said and done. I would have been really disappointed if it wasn't a free trial; however, I guess someone could get their money's worth if they do MP.

others
sibberke: I finished The Entertainment yesterday and Act III of Kentucky Route Zero just now. Both were weird, both were fascinating, with Act III explaining some stuff of the interlude. If you haven't played this game yet, do so. It's fantastic.
Isn't it better to play it in one go when it's done, to get all the subtele references and hints? After finishing Act I and II some time ago I remember some scenes (like the plane) and the atmosphere but I would certainly miss some more subtele references to the older episodes.
Grargar: Captain Claw

Coming from Monolith, the developers behind Blood, Shogo and Get Medieval, I expected something good from the game and I certainly got it!

Captain Claw is a very nice-looking platformer and its pirate setting makes the game an absolute blast to play. Its controls are simple, yet very finely tuned, you have access to a sword for close combat and a pistol, dynamite and some magic for ranged combat, giving you some extra punch to take out the enemies the way you want and the voice-overs give some very nice flair to the already nicely drawn pirate setting.

The game has 14 levels which might seem few, but each level's duration is pretty long, which can be a problem, especially on the later stages where the game is a bit too eager to become a case of trial and error. It won't be just once where you'll be making a leap of faith only to find that death awaits you and while checkpoints are not scarce, lives certainly are which means you must try not to die too many times. You can find extra lives (along with alternative paths and secrets), but only through the use of time-limited powerups, which is quite a disappointment. If you found Giana Sisters too frustrating of a game, Captain Claw with its limited lives will you give you a run for your money. Very nice, but brutally hard. Vote for it here!

P.S.: AMD users are advised to downgrade their drivers to 13.4 or lower if they want to play the game. Even then, you might still experience some colour corruption every now and then.

Updated my list.
just wondering how hard did you find that game, as an adult. I actually have a physical copy of it, and as a kid I just found it insanely hard. I had to use cheats to get through it. (typing Jordan makes you jump really high which makes the game pretty fun actually).
JellyBeam: just wondering how hard did you find that game, as an adult. I actually have a physical copy of it, and as a kid I just found it insanely hard. I had to use cheats to get through it. (typing Jordan makes you jump really high which makes the game pretty fun actually).
It was very hard, especially on the last stages. There was a lot of trial and error with lots of spikes, lava, vanishing platformers (like Mega Man), crumbling platformers, leaps of faith, enemies standing on the edges to whack you after a tricky jump and the two final bosses were real bastards. The only good thing is that each stage had two save points, so if you lost a lot of lives in one stage, you could retry from the save point with your lives intact. But, you had to reach those save points with a lot of lives (and it wasn't necessarily easy), otherwise you went back to the start. Assuming you can tolerate memorization, you will get through eventually, otherwise the game will get on your nerves.
Post edited June 09, 2014 by Grargar
JellyBeam: just wondering how hard did you find that game, as an adult. I actually have a physical copy of it, and as a kid I just found it insanely hard. I had to use cheats to get through it. (typing Jordan makes you jump really high which makes the game pretty fun actually).
I too returned to that game as an adult. For me it was moderately hard for the first several levels (dungeon, forest and township), became hard somewhere around the docks, and the crystal caves (level 11 or 12 of 14) were the cut-off point for me where I had to either use a cheat to progress or give up altogether.
Novotnus: Isn't it better to play it in one go when it's done, to get all the subtele references and hints? After finishing Act I and II some time ago I remember some scenes (like the plane) and the atmosphere but I would certainly miss some more subtele references to the older episodes.
I plan to do that, so I'll get fun out of it twice. And as the dialogue branches and I didn't see everything in my first playthroughs, the second ones will feel fresh, and I'll get the subtle references you mentioned.
Ampu-tea.

Not a game, but more of a very brief demo. Not worth any money but fun to try at least once with the bundle its currently in. Completed the "game" by making a cup of tea. According to Steam stats, half of the people that have launched the game aren't able to complete the first step. But its gimmicky, so that isn't saying much. Also, the stats are apparently wonky seeing that 0.5% MORE people completed the objective of clearing the table than did people who simply launched the game. (not sure if its Steam or the game that causes this issue as I was awarded both at game launch which should not have happened).

Kudos to the devs for a clever name and gimmicky (yet buggy) gameplay... but its not something they should be charging for.
Heretic Kingdoms: The Inquisition
Game was interesting enough to keep me playing till the end, but far from being a masterpiece. The story was good, but nothing special, the combat on the other hand was among the worst I can imagine for a RPG, a clickfest without any strategy involved (many people complain about the combat in Inquisitor, but in this game it's far worse). Best part of the game was the concept of the dreamworld (which you can use to evade enemies) and the attunements that you can use to power-up your character.
Tried to beat every enemy and every quest in the game and maybe did a little too good. In the end my character was completely overpowered and the bossfights were no challenge at all.

Complete list of finished games in 2014