It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

flubbucket: A possible alternative for lynch could be hug. Hugs are good right??
no, hugs are lame. I want candy.
flubbucket: A possible alternative for lynch could be hug. Hugs are good right??
Pookina: no, hugs are lame. I want candy.
So instead of being lynched a player would be candied....something to ponder.
Oh! How about embarrass? They're so embarrassed they leave the game.

ZFR has 6 votes and has been embarassed, he was Town Dartboard
Catapulted. That gives a nice mental image.
Why exactly do we want to remove the word lynch from the game?

Well, most of the time we write 'vote' or 'unvote' anyhow and there has been an increasing numbers of lunches. Also sometimes the flavour makes a word-replacement fun. But that's up to the mod and can be decided on a game by game basis. But if you want variety we can of course instead

-eviscerate
-incinerate
-carbonize
-tickle
-explode
-disintegrate
-ex-sanguinate

or simply
-kill

people.
Lifthrasil: Why exactly do we want to remove the word lynch from the game?
It has racist connotations in America
Lifthrasil: Why exactly do we want to remove the word lynch from the game?
For me, as a non-native English (and non-US-based) the word doesn't have any negative connotations beyond its literal meaning. Not worse than "kill".
In Polish, the word "execute" which is mentioned in the Mafia Universe thread as an alternative, has worse connotations since they can bring to mind the Stalinist executions that were common early post-WWII. Lynchings were never historically a problem there.
So, in Poland, asking a group of people to join this online game where we "execute" someone sounds worse that "lynch".

but...

Given that this is an English-speaking forum with a significant US-based number of members, I'm fine with changing it. Or leaving it.

Lifthrasil: or simply
-kill
This won't work because "kill" already has a meaning in Mafia: a broader term to signify any action that removes a player from the game: Night-kill, day kill, lynch, or even modkill.
Post edited June 09, 2020 by ZFR
cristigale: <sigh> That was a mess.

@pooka

No, not at this time. I love playing with all of you but I spend too much time on the game when I should be doing other things. You can put me down as another sub. Best of luck with your game!
Hopefully we can play again sometime!
PLASMA97: It has racist connotations in America
Only in certain context, but in a Forum Mafia game it does not as that is how the game was designed. Lynching people goes way back in history and bringing race into it is something the uninformed do to create more strife and division. I think if whoever is running a game doesn't like the word or someone playing in it doesn't like the word then don't use it, otherwise it shouldn't matter or be an issue.

That being said we should stop this conversation now as a racial discussion merits nothing. Racism is a sad reality and is practiced by the ignorant and stupid, but this is not the place to have that discussion.
yogsloth: In the 60 player game, I did not make it to the very end because I very strategically suicided and surprise hammered myself, throwing town into confusion and going a long way towards causing them to mis-lynch the rest of the way in.

In the 40 player game, I made it almost to the end but my entire team decided to inexplicably bus me right at the goal line and almost lost the game. We *should* have lost the game, except both sides were in a race to see who could throw the game in the trash can the fastest, and Town managed to screw it up even worse than we did.
Nice to see team play that even includes a sacrifice for the team for the greater good. I would say that this trait, even more than other aspects, is a must to be found in a great player.

About the bussing, for the way you describe it, it must have been not just a downer but also underwhelming as bad tactics. Better not bussing unless it is in the most dire of circumstances, or with a definite goal in sight. Not only a sound approach, but it also feels the right thing to do.

Nevertheless, both games must have felt epic.

yogsloth: ON AN UNRELATED NOTE

The good people at MU have decided to officially retire the word "lynch" from the mafia vocabulary. [...]

I totally support this.

Nobody really knows exactly what term will replace it. (I think I like "kick" at this moment, but that ain't really that great.) I'd encourage us to maybe follow suit and see if we can come up with an alternative as well.
Well said. Agreed with that 100%.
yogsloth: Nobody really knows exactly what term will replace it. (I think I like "kick" at this moment, but that ain't really that great.) I'd encourage us to maybe follow suit and see if we can come up with an alternative as well.
SirMrFailRomp: ded

misded

no-ded

I think we should ded GR.
Snark.

Last game, Pookie was dubious about whom to snark. Finally she made a decision and snarked Lift. He flipped Town, however.

ZFR: Since we're voting, I suggest "Elected" as the new term.
Not bad at all. Also, nominate. Like at the Oscars. We can even say that the Oscar goes to... Micro!!! Congratulations, pal!!

JoeSapphire: SirM has been excused. He was Town Guilty Child.
Not bad, althoug somehow it gives me the impression that SirM left for the outhouse in order to make his peace with some beans that were getting the best of him.
Post edited June 09, 2020 by Carradice
Pookina: I hereby terminate Plasma.
Cool. But what is your word?
ZFR: PLO - pwn or lose
Politically charged.
I agree with trent that race has nothing to do with the word 'lynch'. Yes, there were too many unjust lynches of black people. And white people and natives and hispanics. Wild west stories are full of lynches. Usually on white outlaws or desperados or even on the (anti-)hero of the story. Dragging racism into it, just because that is at the moment the hot topic, is just artificial and doesn't do the cause any good. Let's just keep this as a game.

I mean, we have games called Secret Hitler here and yes, there were some nutjobs who were offended about the use of the word Hitler and who downrated the first Secret Hitler game. But no one seriously considered changing the name of the Hitler role to something less "offensive". If anyone is really worried about being 110% politically correct, they shouldn't be playing organized crime either - and that's what Mafia is.

So how about we just leave it to the mods to match the lynching to the flavour. If we're playing in space, 'eject' would be a fitting term. If we play the standard setting in some backwater village, lynching is an appropriate term.
Lifthrasil: Wild west stories are full of lynches. Usually on white outlaws or desperados or even on the (anti-)hero of the story. Dragging racism into it [..]
Too much strange fruit. Plus, the word conjures imagery of a mob assassinating a defenceless victim, out of hate, while at the same time making a mock of justice. The idea is already charged. The historical meaning is even more charged. What about gassing people. Or giving someone a shower. Not nice for anyone. At all. Each country has a history it has to live with (and learn from it) or look the other way, depending on each one's choice. Respecting other people's feelings and trying ot understand their motives seems fair.

Lifthrasil: I mean, we have games called Secret Hitler here [...]
For some reason you brought to mind the novel A man lies dreaming, by Lavie Thidar. A meager consolation.

Lifthrasil: [...]they shouldn't be playing organized crime either - and that's what Mafia is.
Or a dark fantasy/supernatural/horror game with werewolves. Or you forgot the other tradition of the game.

Lifthrasil: So how about we just leave it to the mods [...]
TGF just said something in that direction.

Lifthrasil: If we're playing in space, 'eject' would be a fitting term [...]
For a Call of Cthulhu game, it would be sacrfice. To Nyarlathotep, or the Outer Gods or to someone else, it is to be seen.
What else can we virtue signal about?
TheGOGfather: Whether or not another name is used besides lynch is up to each Mod when they host a game. If a Mod still wants to use lynch that is their prerogative.
Well said and agreed 100%