It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

mechanism question - Lift had mentioned there was a contingency plan for CL going out D1/N1. I'm curious if he or dedo are willing to go into what would have resulted?
bler144: mechanism question - Lift had mentioned there was a contingency plan for CL going out D1/N1. I'm curious if he or dedo are willing to go into what would have resulted?
I'll leave it to Lift to decide whether or not to answer this.
bler144: mechanism question - Lift had mentioned there was a contingency plan for CL going out D1/N1. I'm curious if he or dedo are willing to go into what would have resulted?
I would prefer to keep that one detail hidden, since we might use it again if we run a similar game some time in the future. Sorry.
JMich, I'd love to hear from you if you care to share any thoughts on the game. I know how frustrating it is to have an idea that I am just putting out there because I think it could be helpful in a way or want to hear what people think about it and then have a majority jump on me and think I'm scum because they disagree/see problems with it or whatever, rather than them being civil with feedback and understanding that it wasn't meant to be harmful.

I do wonder if you (and a few others), were playing towards possible recruitment and not going fully pro-town (not with your proposed theory, just with general play? It's not like I'm accusing you of that, just curious), and, in case, want to discourage that from everyone in future games, if it is something that is happening. Not only are you cutting yourself short from really getting into the current game and playing your best in it, but you are obviously not being as pro-town as you could be and hurting the overall team/game.

I sense this in a way (I think I've mentioned it before) sometimes in normal mafia games, that players are playing town vanilla in a way that is a little scummy because it suits their scum play style.

Anyway, of course, I'm no authority and I'm not trying to dictate how people play at all, just sharing my perspective on what makes for good town play-style and better games. I still enjoy playing with ya'll regardless!

As long as town doesn't start making a habit of lying! I understand RW's frustration with wyrm with that to a degree, but, I think it was less harmful than it generally would have been in a game with different mechanics (or not open, etc.) and I can understand why he did it even if I don't agree with it, more than I generally would.

Also, if people aren't aware or don't remember, dedo and dessimu pretty much won this game for town because they were 2 townies who believed e/o to be town enough to try a lie-gambit on scum in the open game-thread and pull it off expertly (RW if you missed that you should go read it!)

also, not just JMich of course, but wyrm, RW, and babark, I'd love to hear from you all more now that it is post-game!
Post edited July 31, 2016 by drealmer7
As an observer I didn't really see JMich as scummy as others clearly did. My perspective is, right or wrong, that since flub's game he's made more of an effort to be active early, and I think some of the reaction to him is really just meta.

It did occur to me that, even though dess didn't, one potential flaw in the design was that the vigilante absolutely has the opportunity to play the fence in the fashion you're describing. Arguably it's even the "rational" play to hedge and not take the shot until the game is truly in the balance.

Certainly he ended up killing town anyway, but at least he took out someone most saw as leaning scummy, and not, say, the DP or the towniest player at the table.
bler144: As an observer I didn't really see JMich as scummy as others clearly did. My perspective is, right or wrong, that since flub's game he's made more of an effort to be active early, and I think some of the reaction to him is really just meta.
I agree and I've enjoyed his shift quite a bit and find it unfortunate/a bit unfair he's been getting a bad reaction (getting lynched) to trying to shift his meta/be less lurky (ever since the fake post restriction.) Keep it up JMich, I support it! And, again, didn't really find you scummy much, just seemed to be no other options and nothing else to do. ):
bler144: It did occur to me that, even though dess didn't, one potential flaw in the design was that the vigilante absolutely has the opportunity to play the fence in the fashion you're describing. Arguably it's even the "rational" play to hedge and not take the shot until the game is truly in the balance.
Sure. The Vig offers some opportunity for strategic play. But he (like the tracker) would lose his power when he gets converted. A cult-vig would be too strong, I think.
drealmer7: I do wonder if you (and a few others), were playing towards possible recruitment and not going fully pro-town (not with your proposed theory, just with general play?
Not to my knowledge. It was just an extremely hectic time period, with planned trips, unplanned injuries and testing that had to be done. So I did at some point on day 2 say "Fine, they wish to lynch me, let them explain why". As flub had said in one of his first games with us, "one shouldn't defend himself, he should let the others push, then let the rest analyze post lynch". He probably didn't use those exact words, but that was the gist of it.
Lifthrasil: A cult-vig would be too strong, I think.
True. And if such thing was known, that powers are not lost after recruitment, then vig may very well sit silently and even wait to bee recruited if cult does well. Vig sort of would have his own agenda, his own plan as to when to be useful for successful faction.
JMich: ...
All good, I hope you are doing okay! Are you sure flub wasn't scum in that game?! haha
GG, everyone.

JMich: As flub had said in one of his first games with us, "one shouldn't defend himself, he should let the others push, then let the rest analyze post lynch". He probably didn't use those exact words, but that was the gist of it.
Even back then I disagreed and found it silly and I still do.
If one knows town is harming itself they should try to help them to find them light if he sees there is a possibility.
I am not saying town shouldn't accept their lynch sometimes but to not defend themselves at all is not what they should do and only help easy mislynches.
JMich: ...
drealmer7: All good, I hope you are doing okay! Are you sure flub wasn't scum in that game?! haha
I was. XD I subbed in halfway through the game.

I was playing mafia on at least three other sites at the time.

Not hectic at all.... nope, not at all.
Lifthrasil:
When I flipped vigilante, there was a gun in my belongings. When townies flipped town, there were nothing in their belongings. What item did fantasy initially had as a tracker?
Dessimu: ......... What item did fantasy initially had as a tracker?
Pokemon Go app on her phone.

I'm kidding, I have no idea about anything ever.
Thanks Lifthrasil, and GrandpaErotica, for a different in a refreshing way game; interesting and fun to follow. Looking forward to v2.0.

Congrats to the new players, did a fine job in their first game.