It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

AB2012: error message = SecuROM DRM is obviously running. If the DRM weren't running there would be no such error messages.
[...] web-page that openly describes its protections as "SecuROM’s disc-based Digital Rights Management ensures that only authorized users who have made a purchase can enjoy and use your valuable intellectual property"
and yet you can take the GOG installer and pass it to a friend who hasn't bought the game, and the game will run just fine for him (if he closes ProcessMonitor ;) ). Evidently there is no check that "only authorized users who have made a purchase" can play the game, ie the DRM is not ensuring anything.
So the DRM is active, and simultaneously it is not ... ? Schrödinger, help ! ;)

AB2012: Come on GOG this is just embarrassing for everyone to read that "defence". SecuROM isn't an anti-cheat program like Steam's VAC, PunkBuster, etc, it's 100% nothing but DRM and only DRM. That's why running Cheat Engine / trainers, etc, don't trigger it, not to mention how totally nonsensical "anti-cheat protection" excuse is in a game that contains its own internal cheats...
don't take arguments out of context just so that they fit into your rant.
Someone made the categorical assumption "anti-debugging == DRM", which I countered by pointing to anti-cheating measures which usually contain the same techniques.
No one ever claimed that what you see in FEAR is an anti-cheat protection.
high rated
immi101: and yet you can take the GOG installer and pass it to a friend who hasn't bought the game, and the game will run just fine for him (if he closes ProcessMonitor ;) ). Evidently there is no check that "only authorized users who have made a purchase" can play the game, ie the DRM is not ensuring anything.
So the DRM is active, and simultaneously it is not ... ?
There are compatibility issues with Windows 10 (which deprecates SecuROM and Starforce) where some people have seen the same error message and refusal to start without Process Monitor, so "just close Process Monitor then" is just another lame excuse ignoring half the issues. So yes, the still partially active DRM in the expansions has absolutely caused problems even without an overt CD check.

immi101: don't take arguments out of context just so that they fit into your rant.
Your argument "The SecuROM DRM that forcibly shut down the game can't possibly be called DRM, it must be another reason like the devs not wanting cheating" ) is completely nonsensical when the same devs put all the cheats in-game. Nothing was taken out of context and the error messages themselves specifically use the words "security module" (ie, copy protection). It's little more than not wanting to admit that DRM is DRM, which even the SecuROM DRM web-site that the SecuROM DRM error message links to you openly admits that's exactly what it is.
immi101: and yet you can take the GOG installer and pass it to a friend who hasn't bought the game, and the game will run just fine for him (if he closes ProcessMonitor ;) ). Evidently there is no check that "only authorized users who have made a purchase" can play the game, ie the DRM is not ensuring anything.
So the DRM is active, and simultaneously it is not ... ?
AB2012: There are compatibility issues with Windows 10 (which deprecates SecuROM and Starforce) where some people have seen the same error message and refusal to start without Process Monitor, so "just close Process Monitor then" is just another lame excuse ignoring half the issues. So yes, the still partially active DRM in the expansions has absolutely caused problems even without an overt CD check.
hmm, it's not the same message (different error code). As HypersomniacLive has pointed out here that is a different bug (again). It's apparently not Windows 10 specific, but only happens on certain Intel CPUs that aren't fully updated.
I would agree though that advising users to "just upgrade your BIOS" is a bit tougher to sell as an "easy workaround". Would be interesting to hear the supports answer on that .. ?
From what has been posted so far it does not seem as if anybody has mentioned that particular problem to them yet ?
Maybe if anybody of the guys here has their ticket still open they can mention that issue as well ?

immi101: don't take arguments out of context just so that they fit into your rant.
AB2012: Your argument "The SecuROM DRM that forcibly shut down the game can't possibly be called DRM, it must be another reason like the devs not wanting cheating" ) is completely nonsensical
maybe my english language skills are deteriorating but I still don't see where I made that argument. At least I surely didn't intend to do it.
But if it helps you to vent your frustration ... keep venting ;)
high rated
immi101: hmm, it's not the same message (different error code). As HypersomniacLive has pointed out here that is a different bug (again). It's apparently not Windows 10 specific, but only happens on certain Intel CPUs that aren't fully updated.
I would agree though that advising users to "just upgrade your BIOS" is a bit tougher to sell as an "easy workaround". Would be interesting to hear the supports answer on that .. ?
From what has been posted so far it does not seem as if anybody has mentioned that particular problem to them yet ?
Maybe if anybody of the guys here has their ticket still open they can mention that issue as well ?
Just one minor correction. Every single problem discussed here (the dormant files, the error message with a monitoring tool and the win10 error on certain CPUs) is no "bug" - it's a problem with SecuROM - it is a problem because SecuROM (which defines itself as DRM) has not been removed completely.
Post edited March 10, 2018 by MarkoH01
high rated
MarkoH01: Just one minor correction. Every single problem discussed here (the dormant files, the error message with a monitoring tool and the win10 error on certain CPUs) is no "bug" - it's a problem with SecuROM - it is a problem because SecuROM (which defines itself as DRM) has not been removed completely.
Really, that's the crux of the problem.

Does not help that GOG attempts to hand-wave it (in the face of frequently technologically savvy customers) with "oh, it's just an anti-debugger."
low rated
MarkoH01: Just one minor correction. Every single problem discussed here (the dormant files, the error message with a monitoring tool and the win10 error on certain CPUs) is no "bug" - it's a problem with SecuROM - it is a problem because SecuROM (which defines itself as DRM) has not been removed completely.
*sigh* "it's no bug - it's a problem"
fine, call it whatever you like (isn't this getting silly?)

am I allowed to refer to it as a "problem" for short? Or do I have to spell it out every time:
problem with SecuRom(which GOG really should have removed COMPLETELY)

man, this forum ....
bhrigu: Are there other games on GOG with SecuRom in them?
I am asking because I buy games here 'cause I am unwilling to have additional software installed on my PC without my permission.
And if it detects other programs running in the system, then how is that just inert leftovers of SecuRom, and not active DRM?
Appears Crysis does the same empty files during install:

https://www.gog.com/forum/crysis_series/crysis_1_installing_securom_in_registry
bhrigu: Are there other games on GOG with SecuRom in them?
I am asking because I buy games here 'cause I am unwilling to have additional software installed on my PC without my permission.
And if it detects other programs running in the system, then how is that just inert leftovers of SecuRom, and not active DRM?
drmike: Appears Crysis does the same empty files during install:

https://www.gog.com/forum/crysis_series/crysis_1_installing_securom_in_registry
And I was thinking of installing Crysis recently. Money badly spent. :(

I guess I will stay away from previously DRMed games from now on. I am really shocked at GOG selling games with SecuRom though, dormant or not. Yes the DRM might not be preventing from launching the game, but having files installed and registry keys created by SecuRom is still unacceptable to me.

Someone needs to make a list of GOG games with DRM leftovers.
high rated
immi101: *sigh* "it's no bug - it's a problem"
fine, call it whatever you like (isn't this getting silly?)

am I allowed to refer to it as a "problem" for short? Or do I have to spell it out every time:
problem with SecuRom(which GOG really should have removed COMPLETELY)

man, this forum ....
I am so sorry but in such discussions unfortunately imo it is crucial to define things correctly to see what should have done and what was promised and what was quoted. And no, this is not getting silly at all - it's the way you do argumentations when you try to be objective instead of being emotional.

This is the first time during this discussion that you agree to the fact that GOG should have removed SecuROM completely. Your latest post stated that since at least the "other" message is caused by an anti-debugging measure which does not have to be DRM by definition, it is not that problematic because it can easily prevented and that we have to accept that those things are not 100%.

and yes, in an ideal DRM-free world all that shit would be completely removed and the executable restored to its former pristine, pure form.
But the question is if the time is not better spend elsewhere ...
I always said that since the message originated from SecuROM it shows that the DRM has not completely been removed. It does not surprise me at all that partly removed SecuROM has many faces.
bhrigu: And I was thinking of installing Crysis recently. Money badly spent. :(
Some empty registry key is nothing to worry about. Unless a software is written to be fully portable, they all write some crap in registry, or Windows will do to keep track of various things. For example, every software that you've run and has audio output will have some entries in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\Audio\PolicyConfig\PropertyStore\.

There is other legit software to be worried about, like anything from Microsoft, Google, Adobe, Apple etc. :P

You should go ahead and enjoy those Crysis games, they are really awesome.
low rated
deleted
Fairfox: 'securom' doesnt exact lee has a nice, cuddly name

why couldnt it has a nice, cuddly name

protecto-bear
or
hug-station

its liek one step away from spike-hurt-enforcer
I guess the reason is that it simply is NOT nice or cuddly.
This is an outrage.
(drops game in shopping basket) -> Remove.
No more sales from me until they either fix this travesty or ban any games from their store with these issues.
I own Fear and it's expansions here on GOG and I'm glad I've never installed it yet.
MarkoH01 clearly proves that Securom is active on his/her computer.

Shame on you GOG! Especially for not responding to a valid user complaint with something that has proven to be wrong by at least two users.
French monks won't cut it here. You are in violation of your own core principle here, the very thing that made you stand out from your competitors.
Post edited March 12, 2018 by jorlin
jorlin: MarkoH01 clearly proves that Securom is active on his/her computer.
But... MarkoH01 doesn't even own FEAR or its expansions.
high rated
ariaspi: But... MarkoH01 doesn't even own FEAR or its expansions.
Three other people including myself are seeing SecuROM "security module" (DRM) error messages with certain utilities running that prove the DRM is still part running. The Big List of 3rd Party DRM has different lists for SecuROM - "removed" and "inactive". I tested a few of the "Securom Removed" games, eg, Bioshock (Humble DRM-free version), Thief: Deadly Shadows (GOG), and they all work fine with Process Monitor running, so "removed" actually means the former disc-based SecuROM that was on the retail disc releases has been properly and fully removed in the genuine DRM-free sense.

"Inactive" however seems to mean several things from harmless empty registry entries to it's still running and actively scanning what else you're running in the background and can and will shut the game down if you're running certain utilities (eg, debuggers or virtual CD-ROM drive utilities).

Personally, I'd be interested to see if anyone else here who owns other games on the "inert" list or those games previously mentioned here to leave behind "inert" SecuROM registry entries, can test them and see if they get a SecuROM error message with Process Monitor running in the background. Eg, anyone here want to download Process Monitor, run it and then load and play 30 seconds of Crysis, Far Cry 2, etc, to see if they work?
Post edited March 13, 2018 by AB2012