It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Great movie. It shows the ugly and the beautiful sides of being a teenager, solid plot with strong supporting characters.
Nirth: The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Great movie. It shows the ugly and the beautiful sides of being a teenager, solid plot with strong supporting characters.
*Looks at the page.*
Rarely some movie gets 8.1.

I just watch Jack Bauer Drama. =)
Been to two documentaries last week, and [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLUSTauSXhc]Auf der Suche nach dem Alten Tibet. Drachenmädchen I'd especially recommend, even so I'm not sure the humbling realization that this 7 years old girl is a more mature, wiser and stronger human being than I is of much worth to me.

Don't know if an international version of either movie exists, though.
Tombstone

Pretty great acting, especially from Val Kilmer, and a few really good scenes. The movie itself felt a little medicore. It also felt meandering, like Appaloosa. Maybe western movies named after towns are always meandering. I dunno. It was enjoyable, regardless. Also, "No..."
Favorite Film:
Bladerunner. Simply fantastic neonoir scifi flick. Considering the source material is Philip K. Dick and the director was Ridley Scott, there wasn't really any room for it to totally tank. Not only did it flourish, however, but it is, in my opinion, the best scifi movie of all time. And my favorite <3

Most Recent Film:
Wreck-It Ralph. Was a little late for this one, but it was still great. Arguably better than Toy Story 3, but I guess that's for a different thread, right?
Post edited March 27, 2013 by JohnWalrus
I saw Harmony Korine's Spring Breakers earlier today and I think it might be his best film. An incredibly disjointed narrative which he manages to pull off very well, incredibly funny and quotable (especially James Franco and Gucci Mane) and the style of it was very similar to Gaspar Noe's films. One of the best satires I've seen in a while too, if not the best.

For people that think that it's just gonna be some party film... The screening I attended was packed with those kinds of people. There was 18 walkouts during the film.
I just saw G.I. Joe: Retaliation. I hated the first film but this one was really enjoyable. (^_^) There's lots of great action scenes with practical special effects, it takes itself seriously enough to not make jokes at inappropriate times, and it sports a surprisingly high body count.

Or maybe anything seems good after I watched Highlander 2 on Hulu last night. There was one particular line of dialogue in that film that was so stupid that I nearly put my eye out from facepalming so hard.
SCPM: Or maybe anything seems good after I watched Highlander 2 on Hulu last night. There was one particular line of dialogue in that film that was so stupid that I nearly put my eye out from facepalming so hard.
Tie your hands before watching the third opus. As a precaution.
JohnWalrus: Favorite Film:
Bladerunner. Simply fantastic neonoir scifi flick. Considering the source material is Philip K. Dick and the director was Ridley Scott, there wasn't really any room for it to totally tank. Not only did it flourish, however, but it is, in my opinion, the best scifi movie of all time. And my favorite <3
^This. :-)

Last seen: Skyfall. Best of the new Bond movies, but still not in the same league as most of the older ones.
Trouble with the Curve - I love a Clint Eastwood movie and he's such an old curmudgeon in this one that it's a real hoot!
JohnWalrus: Favorite Film:
Lifthrasil: ^This. :-)

Last seen: Skyfall. Best of the new Bond movies, but still not in the same league as most of the older ones.
Your taste in scifi and spy movies are excellent :) Haven't seen Skyfall yet, but I've heard they did a great job. Nothing tops Goldfinger, though!
Oldboy - How to train your dragon - both of the aforementioned
Post edited April 02, 2013 by Robette
I saw "Mama" in a movie theater on Saturday.

Story was rather unoriginal (except maybe for the very end) for a horror flick, it was quite easy to guess which characters will die and what the whole thing is about and where it is heading, but good effort with the special effects and overall feeling. It had its scary moments, so overall I'd say I liked it and I wasn't bored. Some cheap jump scares though.

I think the same day there was also a Finnish horror movie "Sauna" shown on TV (I think the international release is called "Filth"). I watched it the next day (I've seen it before too), two somewhat different approaches to the horror genre. I don't like most Finnish movies (not high enough production values etc.), but this one gets at least one thumb up from me, not quite two (too slow and even too grim at places).

Good luck in trying to understand what the ending of Sauna is supposed to mean, though...
Post edited April 02, 2013 by timppu
SCPM: I just saw G.I. Joe: Retaliation. I hated the first film but this one was really enjoyable. (^_^) There's lots of great action scenes with practical special effects, it takes itself seriously enough to not make jokes at inappropriate times, and it sports a surprisingly high body count.
No shit? Cool. I live 50 miles from the nearest theatre and I made the trek for the 1st one, still considering doing it for number 2 which should be a no brainer because I had pretty much every one of those toys when I was a kid.

Oh and I watched Chernobyl Diaries last night and I liked it. It had a really nice "less is more" style which I actually don't usually like but it worked here.
Post edited April 02, 2013 by tinyE
GI Joe: Retaliation

Ok, why wasn't The Rock in the first movie? Why was casting him not the first thing they did, after deciding to make a GI Joe movie? Why didn't the conversation go like "Hey, let's make a GI Joe movie. And, let's cast The Rock." I mean, you'd think one would naturally follow the other.

Oodles of fun. The Expendables 2 for people too young to see The Expendables 2. And actually, not a bad film in its own right. Reasonably solid across the board. Except that it's stupid. It has very stupid parts--parts that are stupid in the most enjoyable of ways. None of the soulless, barren incompetence of Transformers here. None of the sickening mixture of the immaturity of childhood with the immaturity of adulthood. This is just the giddy enthusiasm of people who remember what it was like to be a 7 year old boy playing with action figures. Maybe not quite to the extent that it should be, but closer.

The music is pumping, the action is fun (it even features a "modern re-imagining" of Equilibrium's infamous pistol slap fight), the explosions are loud, the bad guys are all bad and hungry for scenery, the good guys are all good and hungry for a simple whitewashed version of justice that could be summarized as "bad guys need to die," and The Rock seems about the coolest, toughest guy on the face of the earth, especially when carrying giant heavy machine guns or driving ridiculously overpowered military vehicles. Oh, and it has really surprisingly good sound work too. All the guns and explosions and swordfights sound very satisfying.

Yeah, there are a few nonsensical moments. In fact, one could convincingly argue that the entire film is just a bunch of pasted-together nonsensical moments. How could it not be, given that characters are expected to refer to "The GI Joes" with somber, straight-faced gravitas? But you never feel like the "little boy's action fantasy" card is being played as an excuse for the inexcusable (again, unlike Transformers). Retaliation is just an unassuming movie that doesn't try to be anything more than silly fun, and sometimes silly fun doesn't defer to conventional logic. That's why it's silly. And that's really the worst you can accuse GI Joe of being. Silly.

I do wonder... how awesome would it be to have a blockbuster action film that actually was written by a 7 year old boy? Something like Axe Cop, but with a big budget and name actors? I don't know about you, but I'd pay to see that.
Post edited April 03, 2013 by jefequeso