It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

3 last films that I really enjoyed :

Bad day to go fishing (2009, Uruguay)
How I ended this summer (2010, Russia)
As it is in heaven (2004, Sweden). Excellent movie.
Have just seen an small independent french movie called "LÎle" (= The Island).

The story behind the movie is pretty interesting, as its director, Olivier Boillot, has struggled very hard to make this movie. No studio here in France has helped him on this project, juste because it's a sci-fi/fantasy movie, and all studios told him "we don't know how to make that kind of movie in France"...
So, he had to raise money from private funds and many french companies he already worked with on many advertising projects.
All in all, the movie took 5 years to be made, with a lot of people working for free.

At the end, I'm not telling you that because the movie would have to be appreciated just for that. It could have just been a nice "fan film", but in the end, it's truly a cool first movie. Not perfect, but really cool, and very well done for the very small budget he had. It really worth to be seen.

So, you can see the official site here, with many infos and a trailer (with english subs).

And I'm not sure where you can buy it if you're not in France, but the movie has been released as a combo DVD/Blu-Ray, region free, and with english subtitles.
DarthKaal: Have just seen an small independent french movie called "LÎle" (= The Island).

The story behind the movie is pretty interesting, as its director, Olivier Boillot, has struggled very hard to make this movie. No studio here in France has helped him on this project, juste because it's a sci-fi/fantasy movie, and all studios told him "we don't know how to make that kind of movie in France"...
So, he had to raise money from private funds and many french companies he already worked with on many advertising projects.
All in all, the movie took 5 years to be made, with a lot of people working for free.

At the end, I'm not telling you that because the movie would have to be appreciated just for that. It could have just been a nice "fan film", but in the end, it's truly a cool first movie. Not perfect, but really cool, and very well done for the very small budget he had. It really worth to be seen.

So, you can see the official site here, with many infos and a trailer (with english subs).

And I'm not sure where you can buy it if you're not in France, but the movie has been released as a combo DVD/Blu-Ray, region free, and with english subtitles.
From the trailer, it looks very inspired by Lost, with nazis as a bonus! I am right? ;)
Some of my favourites movies :

- Eraserhead
- Inland Empire
- 2001 A Space Odyssey
- Clockwork Orange
- The Holy Mountain
- Amelie
- The City Of Lost Children
- Delicatessen
- Naked Lunch
- eXistenZ
- Monty Python And The Holy Grail
- Brazil
- Black Swan
- Requiem For A Dream
- Fantastic Planet

And for Japanese animations :

- Serial Experiments Lain
- Texhnolyze
- Haibane Renmei
- Kaiba
- Kemonozume
- Mind Game
- Cat Soup
- The Tatami Galaxy
- Kafka Inaka Isha
- Atama Yama
- Tenshi No Tamago
- The Glassy Ocean
- The Diary of Tortov Roddle
- La Maison en Petits Cubes
- Paranoia Agents
- Perfect Blue
- Genius Party
Tucker and Dale vs Evil.

This is one of the best comedy/suspense movies I've watched in a LONG time.

If you are a fan of the classic "people go to the backwoods, get murdered by hillbillies" (IE Deliverance, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Wrong Turn, etc) and you enjoyed Shaun of the Dead this is THE movie for you.

It takes that general premise, flips it around (the main characters are the two hillbillies) and makes it hilarious.

It stars Alan Tudyk (Guy who played the Pilot for firefly/serenity) and Tyler Labine (guy from Mad love/Reapers tv show).

Highly recommend it, one of the best parodies I've seen since Shaun of the Dead.

I would link the trailer for the movie, but its' FULL of spoilers, you are much much better off watching the movie without seeing the trailer, trust me.
aymerict: From the trailer, it looks very inspired by Lost, with nazis as a bonus! I am right? ;)
Well, in fact, the director finished his final script before Lost was aired. He loves the show actually, but has been much more inspired by Jules Verne, especially 20.000 Leagues Under the Sea, and The Mysterious Island.

The DVD publisher has put the mention "the french Lost" on the cover, though... ;)
I watched Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain again. It was wonderful, this movie can really give you faith in humanity again.
Osama_bin_Laden: I watched Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain again. It was wonderful, this movie can really give you faith in humanity again.
I watched it so many times!!! It's just my favourite movie ever :) It's pure condensed joy!
And the music is fabulous!
Revival.

The Crow was on sale yesterday and I picked it up. Damn I wished Brandon Lee didn't die, he would have made a great actor. Best superhero movie (tied with Watchmen) ever.
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Absolutely hilarious.
DarthKaal: "we don't know how to make that kind of movie in France"...
*Sigh*... So true.

Illégal : belgium movie (2010) about illegal immigration. Pretty good movie.
Post edited June 09, 2011 by Cambrey
Any of Tarantino's films
Fight Club
Requiem For a Dream
Any of Gilliam's films
Post edited June 09, 2011 by swizzle66
One of last movies I saw were "Meek's Cutoff," the pioneer western as envisioned by kitchen sink realist independent film-maker Kelly Reichardt. That movie, shot in claustrophobic 4:3 aspect ratio, will test the limits of an art-house film-goer's sensibilities in patience and "action" in a film, though I found it rewarding in various subtle ways as we plug along with this doomed pioneer company as it succumbs to paranoia, misdirection, boredom, and thirst. I don't think it's Reichardt's best film, however, as that I reserve for the other Michelle Williams vehicle "Wendy and Lucy."

The other one is the González Iñárritu's new spanish-language film, "Biutiful." Inarritu, by the by, is the director also behind "Amores Perros," "21 Grams," and "Babel," which I believe got mentions in this thread. Biutiful is a grim and unrelenting look at the other side of life in Barcelona, the seedy, slum-riddled underworld far from the tourist brochure depictions of the city, and the various marginalized characters who struggle to get by in it. Javier Bardem outdoes himself here, as both the central presence and driving force of the film as an actor, and as its moral compass, ironic as he functions primarily as a middle-man for cheap illegal alien labor. Through his compromised life and collapsing health, he struggles manfully to maintain dignity for himself, his children, and his "wards." Bardem really carries the film with a very powerful performance that makes his showings in "No Country for Old Men" and "Vicky Christa Barcelona" seem like shallow goofing off by comparison.

The films I'm most looking forward to this summer are Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris," Terrance Mallick's "Tree of Life," and Lars Von Trier's "Melancholia."
MaridAudran: One of last movies I saw were "Meek's Cutoff," the pioneer western as envisioned by kitchen sink realist independent film-maker Kelly Reichardt.
Thx for sharing. I'm looking for more independant american movies, Any suggestions ?
*sigh* Compared to some others here my tastes are pretty horrible.

The most recent movie I watched is a long-time favorite of mine, "Buffy The Vampire Slayer." I know a lot of people hate it for the atrocities wreaked on Joss Whedon's writing by Fox and the film's director, but I still find it a very fun movie -- enough that I've bought it three times on DVD and twice on VHS, losing copies to being worn out or stolen by "friends" after I introduced them to the film.