It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

michaelleung: I had no idea the McCarthy guy was actually him in old footage until I saw the credits. That's how good they made the movie.
MaverickRazor: Yes it is edited so well it is hard to notice. I think they made the right decision in not casting an actor in the McCarthy role, his opinions and actions are on public record and having an actor in that role would likely have diluted the message.

Agreed. Then again, having an actor play him would likely draw controversy somewhere, somehow.
michaelleung: Agreed. Then again, having an actor play him would likely draw controversy somewhere, somehow.

Yes, he along with notable others generated a lot of suspicion and hysteria at the time. Arthur Miller (one time husband of Marilyn Monroe) was one of the peaople questioned by the House of Representatives' Committee on Un-American Activities after he wrote a play about the Salem Witch Trials called "The Crucible" as a response to McCarthyism.
I also recently watched an old film called A Man For All Seasons made in 1966. I've been hearing about it for years and finally got round to watching it. While it isn't linked with McCarthyism at all It is based on a true story and has a number of similar themes. I would thoroughly recommend it if you haven't seen it already, the acting is superb.
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Man_for_All_Seasons_(1966_film]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Man_for_All_Seasons_(1966_film[/url])
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060665/
Favorite Films:
Notorious (1946) is my favorite Hitchcock film for a multitude of reasons. Even though I don't think it's his most suspenseful, I think he's most creative with his presentation of the suspense. Also, you have a fantastic cast with the pairing of what I would call the greatest actor and actress, Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman. Throw in some fantastic dialogue and you've got classic.
Last One I Saw:
I rewatched Serenity. It's a film I like more due to the fact I've seen the show Firefly, but as a standalone film I don't think it's quite as good as I think it is. Still, a film I enjoy quite a bit.
Recommendation:
Ben-X is a film from Denmark about an autistic teen who copes with his bad life by playing an MMO. I like this film for a number of reasons, mainly how it puts us in his shoes in interesting and occasionally uncomfortable ways. The film also nails down what it is about video games that appeals to young people in particular.
For those who have netflix instant check it out.
lotr-sam0711: Favorite Films:
Notorious (1946) is my favorite Hitchcock film for a multitude of reasons. Even though I don't think it's his most suspenseful, I think he's most creative with his presentation of the suspense. Also, you have a fantastic cast with the pairing of what I would call the greatest actor and actress, Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman. Throw in some fantastic dialogue and you've got classic.
Last One I Saw:
I rewatched Serenity. It's a film I like more due to the fact I've seen the show Firefly, but as a standalone film I don't think it's quite as good as I think it is. Still, a film I enjoy quite a bit.
Recommendation:
Ben-X is a film from Denmark about an autistic teen who copes with his bad life by playing an MMO. I like this film for a number of reasons, mainly how it puts us in his shoes in interesting and occasionally uncomfortable ways. The film also nails down what it is about video games that appeals to young people in particular.
For those who have netflix instant check it out.

I keep hearing how awesome Serenity is, and I'm a moderately rabid browncoat. Does the movie stay true to Firefly?
My favorite films are The Matrix (only the first one; I feel with the sequels they went too much in the direction of spectacular action), A.I.- Artificial Intelligence and Equilibrium. Generally, I like films which give you something to keep thinking on.
As for Equilibrium, I can also recommend it because I think it is typically a film not many a people have seen but it'd deserve more love. Although it has a number of flaws (ranging from sometimes weak acting to a somewhat predictable plot), the content makes up for it. It puts an absurd reality in front of us* that makes one appreciate what we have and maybe reconsider the value of certain things in our life. Also, after seeing the film, one can ponder about what he/she would do if he/she was one of the characters in the film or if he/she had to live in such an absurd reality (and knew of it, that is).
*Equilibrium plays out in a future in which all human emotions are suppressed by a chemical everyone has to take daily.
The plot to Equilibrium sounds like the plot to one of my favorite music albums, Year Zero by NIN. People are drugged with suppressants found in the water supply, and blah blah blah. Whatever. The martial arts thing was pretty badass, but that was about all I liked about the movie.
I didn't really like The Matrix though, mostly because I didn't like the guy in it. But the philosophy behind The Matrix (red pill or blue pill, etc.) is deep. Too deep, especially when your main character is an emotionless prat who goes by the name Keanu, and went on to destroy a [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_the_Earth_Stood_Still_(2008_film)]perfectly good sci-fi film[/url] nine years later. Anyway, I remember having to actually study the philosphy behind The Matrix last year in school, and we even got to watch The Matrix in its entirety. (FYI, I would have just taken the blue pill and none of the sequels would happen)
michaelleung: The plot to Equilibrium sounds like the plot to one of my favorite music albums, Year Zero by NIN. People are drugged with suppressants found in the water supply, and blah blah blah. Whatever. The martial arts thing was pretty badass, but that was about all I liked about the movie.
I didn't really like The Matrix though, mostly because I didn't like the guy in it. But the philosophy behind The Matrix (red pill or blue pill, etc.) is deep. Too deep, especially when your main character is an emotionless prat who goes by the name Keanu, and went on to destroy a [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_the_Earth_Stood_Still_(2008_film)]perfectly good sci-fi film[/url] nine years later. Anyway, I remember having to actually study the philosphy behind The Matrix last year in school, and we even got to watch The Matrix in its entirety. (FYI, I would have just taken the blue pill and none of the sequels would happen)

Well, I'm fortunate enough to not be bothered by bad acting/wrong actor choice, so I can enjoy the depth of movies ;-). I can understand your reason, though.
Post edited June 15, 2009 by DrIstvaan
michaelleung: I keep hearing how awesome Serenity is, and I'm a moderately rabid browncoat. Does the movie stay true to Firefly?

Yes, it does. And if your coat is even the slightest shade of brown you should watch it.
Post edited June 15, 2009 by ZamFear
Serenity is great, but the series holds a special place in my heart.
This weekend though, I watched "There Will Be Blood".
Awesome film, thought it was going to be dull, but Daniel Day-Lewis is exceptional in the lead role, and makes the film truly brilliant.
"You have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. Are you paying attention?"
The final scene is fantastic.
michaelleung: I keep hearing how awesome Serenity is, and I'm a moderately rabid browncoat. Does the movie stay true to Firefly?
Yes and no. The Simon character is totally different IMHO and it's a lot more actiony than the show. But it still has the colorful cast and the witty dialogue. More on the yes side, and if you love the show you'll probably love the movie.
The Matrix and Equilibrium are dumb action movies that try to inject philosophical sophistication. I actually hate Equilibirum for a number of reasons, mainly because it's a poor man's Matrix.
I'd say Dark City much better than both. Has the same kind of philosophical ideas, but is actually mature about it instead of letting the plot devolve into stupid action sequences. Also has a Blade Runner sci-fi noir feel to it. In fact, I'd argue it's the best Sci-fi film since Blade Runner.
But I'm an action hater. If it's an action film and not T2 Die Hard or Aliens I probably hate it.
There Will Be Blood is my favorite film from 2007. So awesome. Daniel-Day Lewis makes the film fascinating and PTA is one of the great directors of our time.
Post edited June 15, 2009 by lotr-sam0711
lotr-sam0711: The Matrix and Equilibrium are dumb action movies that try to inject philosophical sophistication. I actually hate Equilibirum for a number of reasons, mainly because it's a poor man's Matrix.

Interesting; I see those movies just the other way around: films that have more philosophical depth than the average, but they're watered down by dumb action so that the average cinema goer will find them to their liking as well.
Maybe it's because I can find what interests me in nearly everything...
Post edited June 15, 2009 by DrIstvaan
I saw Sideways, the film with Paul Giamatti. Great film, very funny. And booze-tastic.
Fight Club.
Watched Burn After Reading yesterday, thought it was brilliant.
If you like the Coens, you'll like it.
Deliverance.
Nuff said.