It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Also, impressed by the Robocop remake. Great scifi movie, taking the robocop premise to make something different with it, to refocus on other aspects, to explicit some philosophical subtext of the original, in a way swapping around the foreground and the background. So, different enough to be its own story, and still amusing with its occasional shout outs to the original (familiar musical bits, re-use of quotes and visuals in different contexts), just the perfect blend of close and different to make it a movie worth making and watching.

It's a good, clever film. It is clumsy at parts (a huge left-hand right-hand goof had actually violently distracted me from the film, and the "action movie" plot is much more cheap than the original, something that the focus on the political/philosophical plot does not excuse), Michael Keaton completely steals the show (which seems kinda accidental, but heck, it's the sort of thing that Keaton does), and yes I do prefer the Verhoeven movie for many reason (though it's like comparing films from different genres). But still, this remake is a high quality science fiction movie, and, referential winks aside, deserves to be watched as if there was no other film of the same title.

In short : this is how remakes should be done. This film is great, and doesn't step on the feet of the original. Doesn't try to "do the same but better". I don't know how it could have been named differently, but it should be apprehended as if it was.

Also watched Elysium. Heh, unimpressed. Lots of sympathy for Neill Blomkamp and what he attempted to do, several good ideas and cool scenes, but, meh, this is not District 9. The caricature, here, is too anchored in tired scifi plot devices (e-voting x-treme, magical medbays, exoskeletons that also make each bit of exposed flesh invulnerable, etc) to not defeat its own allegory. Great trailer, but self-sufficient trailer. Got the idea, nice idea, but no need to stretch it to two hours of videogame-level action with absurd cutscenes. But nice visuals, at least.

Somehow, watching the Robocop remake, I had the impression that this was the sort of thing that Elysium wanted to be. I wish it was, the idea deserved to be. Well it's not.

Anyway, if someone (like me) was reluctant to watch the Robocop remake out of mere antiremake principle, I'd say it's a mistake. And if someone (like me) was eager to watch Elysium just for its pitch, I'd say the same. Surprising outcome, there.
Telika: Also, impressed by the Robocop remake. Great scifi movie...
Jose Padilha (the director) is one to watch. I'd highly recommend his previous films if you're not already familiar with them, Elite Squad: The Enemy Within and Bus 174 in particular.
Telika: Also, impressed by the Robocop remake. Great scifi movie...
xSinghx: Jose Padilha (the director) is one to watch. I'd highly recommend his previous films if you're not already familiar with them, Elite Squad: The Enemy Within and Bus 174 in particular.
I'll check them. They have the kind of names that makes it easy to slip under my radar (sounding more like s.w.a.t. than city of god), but I was indeed wondering what else that guy directed. He earned a bit of trust.
Telika: I'll check them. They have the kind of names that makes it easy to slip under my radar (sounding more like s.w.a.t. than city of god), but I was indeed wondering what else that guy directed. He earned a bit of trust.
I agree the name Elite Squad isn't great. There are actually two of them - the second being the one I'm referring to here. He directed both. They deconstruct the causes of crime, the first takes the familiar simplistic view of bad guys doing bad things while the second undermines that position looking at the systemic causes of crime. I see them as one long film split into two parts but if you're just watching one I'd suggest the second.

Bust 174 is a documentary about a Bus that was held hostage by a man from one of Rio's slums. It unfolds like a thriller feeding the viewer bits of information at a time about the event, while going into the backstory of the man holding the bus hostage. The news media widely covered the event at the time and portrayed the gunman as an animal. The documentary traces his life story up to that point restoring part of his humanity and examining the nature of what leads someone to crime as a consequence.
xSinghx: I see them as one long film split into two parts but if you're just watching one I'd suggest the second.
Will watch both, but in the meantime :

Saw Gravity. Pretty spectacle, Bullock was surprisingly bearable (Clooney was unsurprisingly not), and the plot made surprisingly little sense. Especially one pivotal moment (figuratively), that is pure complete wtf physics-wise (kraken bug level, for those who play kerbal). Also, tedious obligatory super-hollywoodian moments full of epic music on pseudo-epic monologues, but that was unavoidable for such sort of production. Oh god the ending cheese - the cinematography made me laugh there.

Again nice visuals (I'm really a sucker for cool space visuals), nice physics-based tension at times, but very average mix of qualities and facedesking flaws. It's a matter of what one is in the mood to overlook, I guess.
Telika: Saw Gravity. Pretty spectacle...

Again nice visuals (I'm really a sucker for cool space visuals), nice physics-based tension at times, but very average mix of qualities and facedesking flaws. It's a matter of what one is in the mood to overlook, I guess.
I haven't watched Gravity since it came out. I remember finding it effective as a thriller and enjoyed the spectacle but wasn't happy about the religious symbolism that I had to endure and the born again subtext. It's not as blatantly obvious as something like Flight but if you re-watch it you may notice the visual clues, Bullock's womb shot towards the beginning, Clooney as the voice of God during Sandra's near death moment, images of Christ and Buddha in the various shuttles, baptism at the end and then footsteps in the sand are just a few moments that I remember off the top of my head.

All of that said, the movie has a crazy continuous 20min opening shot though so - you know - oscar.
Last film I watched was "Common" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2937752/

It was gritty albeit not outstanding in any way. It did highlight an archaic law called Joint Enterprise which is used to convict groups of people for a crime rather than individuals for their specific role. From a moral perspective, it does question the purpose of the Joint Enterprise and whether it's being abused to easily convict "undesirables" in one easy swoop.
Avengers Age of Ultron.

I thought it was rubbish, very heavy on dialogue and action, but neither served the movie very well, the dialogue was inane, "He's everywhere, hes multiplying like catholic rabbits!" HUH?
"I can hold my own" "After this I'll hold your own!" HUH?

Great but boring sfx.
White House Down. Hilariously shitty remake of Die Hard. If this ever plays on your tv, just leave the house screaming.
Also rewatched "The Right Stuff", which is the kerbalest film ever. I had liked it a lot as a kid, I was expecting to like it less this time. But while some stylistic effects are dated, and I would have enjoyed a broader scope (a bit more russia-inclusive, and stretched to a bit later), I still ended up liking it as much. The heroico-patriotic tone is a bit balanced by some fun critique of politics and medias, the manly man aspect is a bit balanced by the wives perspectives... And the cast is highly amusing. I didn't know Goldblum, Cartwright and Henriksen when I had first watched it, so they were a surprise.

Must find a copy of the "From the Earth to the Moon" miniseries, some day. Sounds a bit like a direct sequel.
Cube - rewatched, it's marmite, reviews at the time were a mixed bag...i still think it's worth seeing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY5PkidV1cM
DampSquib: Cube - rewatched, it's marmite, reviews at the time were a mixed bag...i still think it's worth seeing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY5PkidV1cM
Yup. It's a favorite of mine. I hate its sequels/prequels (which completely ruin it by destroying all its ambiguity and metaphorical impact), but Cube, as a standalone, is a brilliant, clever film.

Reminds me that I haven't seen any other Vincenzo Natali film yet. Should work on that.
Hackers, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Lawnmower Man, Elizabeth, Lords of Salem, Airheads, Last Action Hero, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Mask, The Fly. Devils Advocate.
bad_fur_day1: Lords of Salem
Watched that the other night.

Not great IMHO but a nice little piece of work.
Last one I saw (but not favorite):

The Signal

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2910814/

A crazy and weird film, that includes thriller, action, scifi.