It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

WinterSnowfall: Not sure if this thread is still active/maintained, but in case someone stumbles into it at some point in the future, just know that:

a) I found this thread very useful as reference, kudos to Lifthrasil and to all the people that have contributed to it

b) I've developed a script called the Wookiee Unicaster that can help one host Direct IP capable games even if they are stuck behind NAT and don't have an ISP provided public IP (a public IP will still be needed though, as an entry point for remote peers) - more details here, on Github.

c) I'm not the only person that despises DRM-ed & client-based multiplayer, that is a comforting thought
Nice. Thank you for providing that useful script!
Lifthrasil: Nice. Thank you for providing that useful script!
Hope it will be useful to some :).

Since you're still maintaining the list, I have some comments and additions:
* Anno 1701 at least supports Direct IP (Anno 1401 only LAN)
* Call of Juarez Bound in Blood doesn't actually offer a Direct IP option, only LAN
* Scrapland Remastered can be played either in LAN, via Direct IP, or online (through the game's online server list).
Lifthrasil: Nice. Thank you for providing that useful script!
WinterSnowfall: Hope it will be useful to some :).

Since you're still maintaining the list, I have some comments and additions:
* Anno 1701 at least supports Direct IP (Anno 1401 only LAN)
* Call of Juarez Bound in Blood doesn't actually offer a Direct IP option, only LAN
* Scrapland Remastered can be played either in LAN, via Direct IP, or online (through the game's online server list).
Thanks. I updated the list.
Lifthrasil: [...]
Some more things I noticed were missing from your list, based on my recent tests:
* Star Wars - Jedi Knight II (LAN and Direct IP)
* Star Wars - Jedi Academy (LAN and Direct IP)
* Star Wars - Republic Commando (LAN and Direct IP)
* Red Faction (LAN and Direct IP)
* Return to Castle Wolfenstein (LAN and Direct IP)
WinterSnowfall: Some more things I noticed were missing from your list, based on my recent tests:
* Star Wars - Jedi Knight II (LAN and Direct IP)
* Star Wars - Jedi Academy (LAN and Direct IP)
* Star Wars - Republic Commando (LAN and Direct IP)
* Red Faction (LAN and Direct IP)
* Return to Castle Wolfenstein (LAN and Direct IP)
Thank you! I added them.
I'm still doing some testing and will most likely have another batch of entries for you to add soon.

However, I was curios if you consider LAN/Direct IP games which enforce unique CD checks on each participant as "DRM-free multiplayer" :). I tend to think not so much, right?
WinterSnowfall: I'm still doing some testing and will most likely have another batch of entries for you to add soon.

However, I was curios if you consider LAN/Direct IP games which enforce unique CD checks on each participant as "DRM-free multiplayer" :). I tend to think not so much, right?
Well, depends on the implementation. If the CD has to be present, it is definitely copy protection, even if it is physical instead of purely digital. But with GOG being a digital store, physical CD checks should not exist.

A different case is, if a game requires you to enter some serial key which is provided by GOG. I would consider that broken DRM and therefore in effect DRM free, as long as the serial key stays valid and isn't some one time thing. So basically if you can install the game to some other PC and use it without any loss of functionality or content, it is effectively DRM free, even though strictly speaking serial keys are a form of DRM.
Lifthrasil: A different case is, if a game requires you to enter some serial key which is provided by GOG. I would consider that broken DRM and therefore in effect DRM free, as long as the serial key stays valid and isn't some one time thing. So basically if you can install the game to some other PC and use it without any loss of functionality or content, it is effectively DRM free, even though strictly speaking serial keys are a form of DRM.
We are talking only about GOG games here anyway, so yes, it's about serial keys that in some games you have to enter for multiplayer. Moreover the server checks if multiple players have the same CD key and kicks anyone who tries to play multiplayer (yes, in LAN or Direct IP) with the same CD key.

Thankfully not all that many games do this... but there are a few.
Post edited November 17, 2022 by WinterSnowfall
Alright, time for probably my last batch of updates :).

Edits on existing items in your list:
* Far Cry 2 - the direct IP option doesn't do anything :|... the game will only send local broadcast packets if you attempt to use Direct Connect, much like it would do if you played it in LAN, so in essence it only supports LAN.

* Crysis Wars multiplayer no longer works. Not even in LAN, since apparently players need to be logged into their GameSpy account for it to function properly... yes, even in LAN. You don't want this game on your list :|. That being said there are various community workarounds made to bypass this restriction, but I'll leave it up to you if you want to keep it with this mention or outright remove it.

* SWAT 4 actually supports both LAN and Direct IP

* Unreal supports both LAN and Direct IP

New entries:
* ARMA: Cold War Assault (LAN and Direct IP)
* Deus Ex (LAN and Direct IP)
* The Wheel of Time (LAN and Direct IP, although it requires dedicated servers)
* Mobile Forces (LAN and Direct IP)
* World in Conflict (LAN and Direct IP)

New entries that enforce CD-key uniqueness checks for LAN multiplayer (discussed above):
* ARMA Gold (LAN and Direct IP)
* Empire Earth II (LAN and Direct IP)
Post edited November 17, 2022 by WinterSnowfall
List of games tested:
Rainbow Six ( LAN )
Delta Force ( LAN )
Brothers in Arms Earned in Blood ( LAN )
Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 ( LAN )
Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway (LAN)
Sudden Strike ( LAN \ IP )
Sudden Strike 2 (LAN \ IP )
Sudden Strike 4 (LAN )
Songs of Conquest (Hot seat)
Tooth and Tail (Split screen)
WinterSnowfall: Alright, time for probably my last batch of updates :).

Edits on existing items in your list:
* Far Cry 2 - the direct IP option doesn't do anything :|... the game will only send local broadcast packets if you attempt to use Direct Connect, much like it would do if you played it in LAN, so in essence it only supports LAN.

* Crysis Wars multiplayer no longer works. Not even in LAN, since apparently players need to be logged into their GameSpy account for it to function properly... yes, even in LAN. You don't want this game on your list :|. That being said there are various community workarounds made to bypass this restriction, but I'll leave it up to you if you want to keep it with this mention or outright remove it.

* SWAT 4 actually supports both LAN and Direct IP

* Unreal supports both LAN and Direct IP

New entries:
* ARMA: Cold War Assault (LAN and Direct IP)
* Deus Ex (LAN and Direct IP)
* The Wheel of Time (LAN and Direct IP, although it requires dedicated servers)
* Mobile Forces (LAN and Direct IP)
* World in Conflict (LAN and Direct IP)

New entries that enforce CD-key uniqueness checks for LAN multiplayer (discussed above):
* ARMA Gold (LAN and Direct IP)
* Empire Earth II (LAN and Direct IP)
Thank you for your tests! That's a shame about Crysis Wars. It used to work. They have to have patched in the GameSpy dependency with one of the updates.

I decided to put Arma Gold and Empire Earth II in the list, but with a warning that a unique serial key is required. It is a form of DRM after all, but one that many may find permissible.

Syphon72: ...
Thank you for your tests!
Post edited November 18, 2022 by Lifthrasil
All the games with LAN let me create a match with no issues.

Both Dark Alliance games have Shared Screen MP. It might split into two screens if you drift too far part, but I cannot remember

Darkstone ( IP )
Judge Dredd - Dredd vs Death ( Split -Screen )
Outward ( Split-Screen)
Hellpoint ( Split-Screen )
SWAT 3 ( LAN )
Police Stories ( Shared Screen )
Hot Brass ( Shared Screen )
Dark Reign ( LAN )
American Conquest ( LAN )
Axis & Allies 1942 Online ( Hotseat )
Fantasy Wars ( LAN )
Old World ( Hotseat ) Let's you host online game without galaxy, but not sure if it's LAN.
Post edited November 18, 2022 by Syphon72
Lifthrasil: Thank you for your tests! That's a shame about Crysis Wars. It used to work. They have to have patched in the GameSpy dependency with one of the updates.
No, as far as I know it was always there... and the GameSpy severs went down, which is causing the game to somehow panic in the multiplayer code and kick any outgoing connection attempt. There are unofficial patches out there which address this, apparently, but I haven't tested that approach.
Syphon72: All the games with LAN let me create a match with no issues.

Both Dark Alliance games have Shared Screen MP. It might split into two screens if you drift too far part, but I cannot remember

Darkstone ( IP )
Judge Dredd - Dredd vs Death ( Split -Screen )
Outward ( Split-Screen)
Hellpoint ( Split-Screen )
SWAT 3 ( LAN )
Police Stories ( Shared Screen )
Hot Brass ( Shared Screen )
Dark Reign ( LAN )
American Conquest ( LAN )
Axis & Allies 1942 Online ( Hotseat )
Fantasy Wars ( LAN )
Old World ( Hotseat ) Let's you host online game without galaxy, but not sure if it's LAN.
Thank you!
While I haven't tested this, this line was in Old World's patch notes this week:

-Added support for LAN games

(Game is already in list as hotseat.)
Post edited January 12, 2023 by mqstout