It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I'm trying to run Terminal Velocity but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've installed it but when I run it, either via the terminal or the shortcut placed in the menu, I get a black screen and it's back to desktop.

I also know that 15.04 isn't officially supported by GOG, but I figured I'd ask anyway.
low rated
arrjayjee: I'm trying to run Terminal Velocity but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've installed it but when I run it, either via the terminal or the shortcut placed in the menu, I get a black screen and it's back to desktop.

I also know that 15.04 isn't officially supported by GOG, but I figured I'd ask anyway.
When you run it in the terminal, what message do you get?
arrjayjee: I'm trying to run Terminal Velocity but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've installed it but when I run it, either via the terminal or the shortcut placed in the menu, I get a black screen and it's back to desktop.

dtgreene: When you run it in the terminal, what message do you get?
It seems to be related to the MIDI (it never opens a device for sound, which may relate to my issue with Lords of Xulima having no audio) but I've got sound with everything else so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Here's a screenshot of the terminal post-crash.
Attachments:

You could still send us a Support ticket :)
low rated
dtgreene: When you run it in the terminal, what message do you get?
arrjayjee: It seems to be related to the MIDI (it never opens a device for sound, which may relate to my issue with Lords of Xulima having no audio) but I've got sound with everything else so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Do you really have a Microsoft Nano Transceiver 2.0 with 37 axis and 75 buttons? Those figures seem a bit suspicious.
arrjayjee: It seems to be related to the MIDI (it never opens a device for sound, which may relate to my issue with Lords of Xulima having no audio) but I've got sound with everything else so I'm not sure what the issue is.

dtgreene: Do you really have a Microsoft Nano Transceiver 2.0 with 37 axis and 75 buttons? Those figures seem a bit suspicious.
That would be the wireless keyboard with a touchpad for when I'm on the couch.
dtgreene: Do you really have a Microsoft Nano Transceiver 2.0 with 37 axis and 75 buttons? Those figures seem a bit suspicious.
arrjayjee: That would be the wireless keyboard with a touchpad for when I'm on the couch.
The midi thing is harmless.
Do you have a mouse attached ?
I'm not convinced that its a crash at all. I think dosbox probably fails to run the game for some reason and then exits normally as it is configured to once the game is done. The most helpful error message would be seen inside dosbox before it quits.

You could try editing the relevant config file and comment out the exit line at bottom to prevent that. I don't have this game, but it's probably named something like dosbox_terminalvelocity_single.conf or something to that effect.
arrjayjee: That would be the wireless keyboard with a touchpad for when I'm on the couch.
Qbix: The midi thing is harmless.
Do you have a mouse attached ?
I have a mouse.
Rixasha: I'm not convinced that its a crash at all. I think dosbox probably fails to run the game for some reason and then exits normally as it is configured to once the game is done. The most helpful error message would be seen inside dosbox before it quits.

You could try editing the relevant config file and comment out the exit line at bottom to prevent that. I don't have this game, but it's probably named something like dosbox_terminalvelocity_single.conf or something to that effect.
I tried that. It still quits DOSBOX immediately and returns to the command line which shows the same message as before.
Can you temporarily replace your keyboard? Try it without the usb dongle.
classicgogger: Can you temporarily replace your keyboard? Try it without the usb dongle.
Done. It no longer gives the message about the controller, but it still crashes the same.

I've attached a screenshot.

EDIT: I tried it before and after rebooting too. No change.
Attachments:
Post edited September 09, 2015 by arrjayjee
classicgogger: Can you temporarily replace your keyboard? Try it without the usb dongle.
arrjayjee: Done. It no longer gives the message about the controller, but it still crashes the same.

I don't see "proof" of it crashing. So I am also inclined to thing that it can't find a specific file or so.
Can you edit the *_single.conf file so that CLS is removed and PAUSE is added at the end or above EXIT if that is present.
To check if it exited with some error try:

./start.sh
echo $?

An exit code of "0" means everything is fine. Everything else is some error.
doesn't look like a crash

what are the graphic settings in dosbox_tv.conf ( under [sdl] ) ?
if dosbox fails to set the requested graphics mode it just exits silently - just as it seems to happen with you.
Could happen if the config requests a specific resolution + fullscreen=true and your monitor doesn't support it, for example.

try changing to fullscreen=no and see if that gets you any further.
classicgogger: To check if it exited with some error try:

./start.sh
echo $?

An exit code of "0" means everything is fine. Everything else is some error.
It returns a 0, so it's not technically crashing, but it's definitely not working.

immi101: doesn't look like a crash

what are the graphic settings in dosbox_tv.conf ( under [sdl] ) ?
if dosbox fails to set the requested graphics mode it just exits silently - just as it seems to happen with you.
Could happen if the config requests a specific resolution + fullscreen=true and your monitor doesn't support it, for example.

try changing to fullscreen=no and see if that gets you any further.
I tried setting fullscreen to false, no change.

SDL settings are:

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=desktop
windowresolution=original
output=overlay
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

arrjayjee: Done. It no longer gives the message about the controller, but it still crashes the same.

Qbix: I don't see "proof" of it crashing. So I am also inclined to thing that it can't find a specific file or so.
Can you edit the *_single.conf file so that CLS is removed and PAUSE is added at the end or above EXIT if that is present.
LOADING SOUND DRIVER...
PLEASE RUN SETUP FIRST
PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE

So I did. I couldn't see how to run setup via command line but then I remembered it installed launchers in the desktop menu.

After running the settings launch I selected "NO SOUND CARD" or its equivalent and now the game is running but I have no audio and it's running stupidly fast.

So now that I've sold that egregious oversight on my part, any way to slow the game down and find an audio solution?