It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

shattenyagger: I'm pretty sure there were 40+ pages on this thread about an hour ago.. right?
Chlorus: The forum mods received messages from gamers & had to delete them, sorry.

(Gonna be a long time before I'm sick of making that joke, I think)
Must have been many messages from absolutely real gamers as well.
shattenyagger: I'm pretty sure there were 40+ pages on this thread about an hour ago.. right?
If you only logged in now, the number of pages might be different depending on the setting for posts per page at:

https://www.gog.com/forum/mysettings

They did delete a whole lot of threads today though.
high rated
I don't agree with what GOG did.
And although I understand why they did it - from a financial standpoint - that doesn't mean it's correct. And I think they deserve some of the flak they're getting right now (which steam apparently only got less than 10% of).

Still... I'll keep buying my games on GOG (it's the only place where I buy games anyway).
I'd only accept enforcing a boycott on GOG games on the day that the U.N. and all those Human Rights groups finally decide to impose severe sanctions and restrictions on China for all the atrocities and crimes that the Chinese government commits every day on the Chinese and Tibetan people for more than 50 years now.

Shame on you, GOG!

Shame on me for being pragmatic and having lost my idealism many years ago!

And shame on the entire western society for being complete hypocrites for so many decades!
BitLiz: If there's no problem, there's no reason to reply. Even my dog has his own forum platform, ain't got no time for Yet Another Forum Platform unless shit like this happens. They've struck at the core of what made GOG GOG, enough to get the accounts that were passive members like us active, and their reaction is ... to try to ignore it and pass it off as if nothing happened?

CDPR, enjoy your shortterm Cyberpunk 2077 success, it'll get sucked dry soon enough by the people who've convinced you to change your business model. I won't be surprised to hear "changing business models" and "shifting paradigms" to excuse GOG finishing the transition into Yet Another Game Subscription Service. CDPR, good luck into becoming the next Bioware absorved by EA, because GOG, well, GOG ain't got that many benefits to other services of its kind if it moves away from its core values.
I'm surprised no one is review bombing and boycotting their overrated and overhyped piece of crap that caused them to beg for Winnie the Pooh's money and blame "gamers" for canceling Devotion from being released on GOG.
Turbo-Beaver: If you only logged in now, the number of pages might be different depending on the setting for posts per page at:

https://www.gog.com/forum/mysettings

They did delete a whole lot of threads today though.
Exactly. This thread was mostly left alone (I counted about 8 deleted messages here out of more than 650).
LordJF: This whole thing is starting to get some mainstream media coverage as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2020/dec/17/taiwanese-horror-game-pulled-from-sale-again-after-backlash-in-china
Thanks!

Key quote:
Like many PC gaming firms, GOG operates in a grey area in China. The company’s service is available in simplified Chinese, and to users without a VPN. But the Chinese government technically requires games to be licensed for sale in the country – a process strictly controlled by the National Radio and Television Administration and Ministry of Culture and Tourism.

Larger games companies such as Activision Blizzard have sidestepped the requirement by partnering with Chinese firms to release their games on the mainland, while smaller storefronts like GOG have mostly been content to fly below the radar – something with the release of Devotion may have threatened.
That is the explanation, GOG doesn't want to draw any attention to themselves from the Chinese watchdogs.
In that situation it was really stupid to consider selling this game, and even announce it.

That's like breaking and entering in bright red clothes and with a large bell around your neck.

Maybe we misinterpreted everything and there were real, and well-meaning gamers from China messaging GOG to warn them that they're about to be stepping in deep shit and draw the attention of the watchdogs...

"After receiving many messages from gamers, we have decided not to list the game in our store." - we don't know what those messages were, we just assumed it was angry Pooh-fans... Could also have been Chinese GOG customer who are afraid of losing access to their accounts if GOG put themselves in the spotlight of Chinese authorities.

But of course it can also have been threats: Remove the game, or we'll come check your license... or both.
high rated
karnak1: I'd only accept enforcing a boycott on GOG games on the day that the U.N. and all those Human Rights groups finally decide to impose severe sanctions and restrictions on China for all the atrocities and crimes that the Chinese government commits every day on the Chinese and Tibetan people for more than 50 years now.
Whatever the Chinese government is doing within China's own borders is another matter entirely. It's up to the Chinese people to decide whether to do something about it or not. Ultimately, no government can remain in power if enough people oppose it.

It becomes a problem though if the Chinese government wants to enforce its censorship beyond its borders, worldwide. But I still don't blame them for trying. I blame GOG for giving in to it.

So I see no reason to boycott China at all. GOG, however, has betrayed my trust as a customer, and I hope enough people refrain from giving them money to impose some cost to it, which could make them think about which side their bread is really buttered. GOG's gamble on toadying up to these demands is only going to work out well for them if their Western customers are complacent enough, as they assume them to be. I hope we can prove them wrong.

And for the record, the current membership of the UN Human Rights Commission includes such stalwarts of liberty as Azerbaijan and Saudi Arabia, ranked 168th and 170th out of 180 countries in terms of freedom, respectively. So you could have just as well said "I'd only accept enforcing a boycott on GOG games on the day pigs fly" and it'd be an equivalent statement. If you're really as pragmatic as you claim to be, you should recognize this.
Post edited December 17, 2020 by Turbo-Beaver
high rated
It's such a naked lie, "after receiving messages from players" I'd like to see some of these messages!

Anyway this Christmas season be sure to not buy anything from GOG, I know it may seem like a minor issue, but if in 5 years you'll realize that you can only get completely sanitized, politically correct games it's because people were complacent on issues like these.
high rated
toxicTom: "After receiving many messages from gamers, we have decided not to list the game in our store." - we don't know what those messages were, we just assumed it was angry Pooh-fans... Could also have been Chinese GOG customer who are afraid of losing access to their accounts if GOG put themselves in the spotlight of Chinese authorities.
If that is the case, GOG better tell us (I would be OK with that). Because right now this looks bad, really bad.

I have over 600 games here in this site, many of those I'm probably never even going to play, that's how much I decided to support this project. I don't want to go back to my old days of piracy, but these companies are not making my life easy with such s... policies.

Epic is hard to swallow, Steam in nearly as evil, now GOG bends the knees to Chinese threats? Nowhere to run it seems.
Well...The 18th of December is tomorrow. So, in theory, Devotion can still be released on GoG...tomorrow.

Just saying.
Not sure anyone thought about it but let's meme a little here:

"You were the Chosen One! It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them. Bring balance to the force, not leave it in darkness."

Joke to end 2020 after my complaining post before.
Post edited December 17, 2020 by T3RS1
shattenyagger: ...I'd be far more worried about the violent racism from Antifa or BLM...
lace_gardenia: you almost had me for a while there, and then you turned into fox news

edit: behold the white fragility downvotes
Lol, “fragility”, want to see some real “fragility”? All I’d have to do is mention one singular thing towards you.
Nice flag by the way.
high rated
yerofeich: It's such a naked lie, "after receiving messages from players" I'd like to see some of these messages!

Anyway this Christmas season be sure to not buy anything from GOG, I know it may seem like a minor issue, but if in 5 years you'll realize that you can only get completely sanitized, politically correct games it's because people were complacent on issues like these.
Exactly, it isn't a minor issue, it's a major issue. What the hell happened?

- Galaxy required for multiplayer
- Offline installers are missing, Galaxy required for timely updates
- Bending the knee to a country that breaks all human rights on a daily basis
high rated
Maybe we should just change all of our forum avatars to screenshots of that Winnie the Pooh reference... ;-)
LordJF: This whole thing is starting to get some mainstream media coverage as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2020/dec/17/taiwanese-horror-game-pulled-from-sale-again-after-backlash-in-china
toxicTom: Thanks!

Key quote:

Like many PC gaming firms, GOG operates in a grey area in China. The company’s service is available in simplified Chinese, and to users without a VPN. But the Chinese government technically requires games to be licensed for sale in the country – a process strictly controlled by the National Radio and Television Administration and Ministry of Culture and Tourism.

Larger games companies such as Activision Blizzard have sidestepped the requirement by partnering with Chinese firms to release their games on the mainland, while smaller storefronts like GOG have mostly been content to fly below the radar – something with the release of Devotion may have threatened.
toxicTom: That is the explanation, GOG doesn't want to draw any attention to themselves from the Chinese watchdogs.
In that situation it was really stupid to consider selling this game, and even announce it.

That's like breaking and entering in bright red clothes and with a large bell around your neck.

Maybe we misinterpreted everything and there were real, and well-meaning gamers from China messaging GOG to warn them that they're about to be stepping in deep shit and draw the attention of the watchdogs...

"After receiving many messages from gamers, we have decided not to list the game in our store." - we don't know what those messages were, we just assumed it was angry Pooh-fans... Could also have been Chinese GOG customer who are afraid of losing access to their accounts if GOG put themselves in the spotlight of Chinese authorities.

But of course it can also have been threats: Remove the game, or we'll come check your license... or both.
It would make sense that real Chinese gamers would ask GOG to take down one game if that would mean they can continue to enjoy the other 1000+ games on GOG....