It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A_Future_Pilot: Woo lurkin! Do you still play Descent?
Lyoko774: Sure do, though I've never been much into competitive. I'm an awful pilot. :)
Ah, I hear ya! Well the Rangers have a co-op Saturday almost every week if you wanna get in on that action :)
DustFalcon1985: I would like to see Descent 3 get ported to Mac and Linux
Descent 3 was already ported to Linux by Loki Entertainment Software back in 2000. It was even being sold in boxed editions, I have one.

The old Loki ports are very complicated to get running today though, and are in part inferior to the Windows versions (cutscenes re-encoded to mpeg, not all of them multiplay with windows clients, that sort of thing). It's often easier and better to just run the windows version on Wine.
This doesn't bode well for Interplay. Having the right to license out the name but not having the copyright itself to d1/d2 means they would cash in on Descendents Studios, and "hopefully" forget about Parallax Software. Really dirty to just try to scuff it under the rug! Lack of will or money?

Heck, all this fragmented software "rights" is giving me a headache, should have been cleaned up a long time ago, However, I do understand why a company goes into a business agreement on distribution and such in the first place.

All I can say is good luck - I hope the games will return soon. You guys @ Parallax Studios made a franchise that I personally will always love!
sanscript: This doesn't bode well for Interplay. Having the right to license out the name but not having the copyright itself to d1/d2 means they would cash in on Descendents Studios, and "hopefully" forget about Parallax Software. Really dirty to just try to scuff it under the rug! Lack of will or money?

Heck, all this fragmented software "rights" is giving me a headache, should have been cleaned up a long time ago, However, I do understand why a company goes into a business agreement on distribution and such in the first place.

All I can say is good luck - I hope the games will return soon. You guys @ Parallax Studios made a franchise that I personally will always love!
though for interplay to sell descent 1 2 3 means parallax would have had to approve the reappearance
Lyoko774: Sure do, though I've never been much into competitive. I'm an awful pilot. :)
A_Future_Pilot: Ah, I hear ya! Well the Rangers have a co-op Saturday almost every week if you wanna get in on that action :)
Maybe I'll look into that!
I'm glad I bought all three games when I could. Hopefully the proceedings don't go awry and they'll be back.
sanscript: This doesn't bode well for Interplay. Having the right to license out the name but not having the copyright itself to d1/d2 means they would cash in on Descendents Studios, and "hopefully" forget about Parallax Software. Really dirty to just try to scuff it under the rug! Lack of will or money?

smrtgi19: though for interplay to sell descent 1 2 3 means parallax would have had to approve the reappearance
True. After so many years of neglect they have every right to terminate that agreement, and IF PS decides to goes after Interplay for lost royalties (I wouldn't hold it against them); well, I won't guess on the outcome of the status of Interplay and it's IPs, but it would delay any new sales-agreement.

Either way,this only shows Interplay in a bad light. It will be interesting to know what they both will do now.
Post edited January 02, 2016 by sanscript
smrtgi19: though for interplay to sell descent 1 2 3 means parallax would have had to approve the reappearance
and also pay them 8-9 years worth of due royalties revenues. and from now on into the future also ...
mobutu: and also pay them 8-9 years worth of due royalties revenues. and from now on into the future also ...
I think PS has balls, this comes right after interplay lost the battle with bethesday and on a similar note 3d realms with gearbox... after lost lawsuits interplay may be forced into retirement (bankruptcy)
Oh well. GOG has done a good job recovering games so far, so I'm not too worried.
Regarding Descent Underground.

DU has licensed the trademark/name but do not have the rights to the old assets. As cool as it would be to have those, they are actually pretty old - and outside of nostalgia it is better they create an all new Descent as you can't copyright game play.

And if Interplay pulled their support of DU, Descendent Studios would still carry on as they own the IP outright
Zeether: I'm glad I bought all three games when I could. Hopefully the proceedings don't go awry and they'll be back.
Good luck with that, this being Interplay and all.
jbartus: There is a lot of idle speculation being made in this thread with people jumping to conclusions with no basis. Konrad gave us very vague statements about this development.
mtoschlog: Hey, Folks. Here's the story.

Parallax Software still exists and still owns the copyrights to the Descent games. Under our 21-year-old agreement, Interplay has the exclusive rights to sell Descent and Descent II, and they have been doing so on Good Old Games and Steam.

The problem is that Interplay has not paid to Parallax any royalties since 2007. We've talked to them about this numerous times over the years, and finally took action this fall. We served Interplay official notice that they were in breach of the contract, and when they still failed to pay we terminated the agreement.

This means that Interplay has lost the right to sell the Descent games, which is why they came down from GOG. (We're not sure why they're still on Steam; they shouldn't be.)

Interplay does, however, still own the Descent trademark, which they are free to use or license as they see fit (such as for Descent: Underground) as long as they don't violate our copyrights.

As for whether Descent and Descent II will be available for purchase again, we hope so. We'd be very happy to work things out with Interplay.

Matt Toschlog & Mike Kulas
Parallax Software
Hmm, the behaviour of Interplay makes me sick I ever bought the games here. If I had the cash, I'd send you a cheque right now. Maybe I'll write you an IOU.
Zeether: I'm glad I bought all three games when I could. Hopefully the proceedings don't go awry and they'll be back.
Sslaxx: Good luck with that, this being Interplay and all.
If they're going to be scumbags about it, they're probably going to court, and I don't see them winning if they skimped on royalties they promised Parallax. If things don't work out then I bet Night Dive will step in.

Interplay barely seems to do anything besides being an IP mill now anyway. The most I've seen from them game wise is mobile phone stuff.
Post edited January 04, 2016 by Zeether
Sslaxx: Good luck with that, this being Interplay and all.
Zeether: If they're going to be scumbags about it, they're probably going to court, and I don't see them winning if they skimped on royalties they promised Parallax. If things don't work out then I bet Night Dive will step in.

Interplay barely seems to do anything besides being an IP mill now anyway. The most I've seen from them game wise is mobile phone stuff.
heh titus i mean interplay should have kept its money instead of funding interplay, maybe titus would still be alive while interplay gone