It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Ciris: Guys, we've been in contact with the developer for a while now in order to get a build fully free of DRM (not even with a universal CD-Key).

We're hoping to get that ASAP, but the solution in the meantime is to play the game offline if you DO want to play it while it has DRM (so as not to NOT be able to access it entirely).

The build with no DRM is on the way - and I'll inform you in this thread when it does arrive for those that would like to hold off on their purchase until that happens.
john_hatcher: That's nice, but too late, if you ask me and what I find intriguing is the fact that at firstyou say "happend again" and only come up with a nice story when too many people ask questions and show their discontent. The picture that comes to my mind is this ... http://abload.de/img/i-dont-believe-you-87isdu.jpeg

And will this solution arrive before or after this DRM removal? http://www.gog.com/forum/general/fear_installed_securom_all_over_my_computer_does_anyone_know_how_to_get_rid_of_it
They're trash files, not DRM in the case of FEAR.
Sachys: *wheels out giant fans and curried gogbear

Lets make it grow! O____o
I wonder if this will help?
Sachys: *wheels out giant fans and curried gogbear

Lets make it grow! O____o
Wishbone: I wonder if this will help?
"this video is unavailable"

guess the shit did hit the fan!
Sachys: "this video is unavailable"

guess the shit did hit the fan!
Hmm, try this one.
deleted
011284mm: Next week GOG decides that selling DRM-free is just to darn hard these days and replaces all games with Steam keys.

EDIT: That would put the haters in their place :)
For God's sake don't give them any ideas.
011284mm: Next week GOG decides that selling DRM-free is just to darn hard these days and replaces all games with Steam keys.

Hah! Nice try, but Steam doesn't have all of GOG's games! :P
Post edited July 01, 2015 by Grargar
Ciris: Guys, we've been in contact with the developer for a while now in order to get a build fully free of DRM (not even with a universal CD-Key).

We're hoping to get that ASAP, but the solution in the meantime is to play the game offline if you DO want to play it while it has DRM (so as not to NOT be able to access it entirely).

The build with no DRM is on the way - and I'll inform you in this thread when it does arrive for those that would like to hold off on their purchase until that happens.
This is really not well formulated, in particular the "not fully free of DRM" part. What does it mean exactly? I would say you can either have DRM or you don't have it but nothing in between. 90% free of DRM is completely different from 100% DRM free.

As it is, the game is currently sold as DRM free. (http://www.gog.com/game/defcon). So is this a case of false advertisement? This would not make a very good impression.
Post edited July 01, 2015 by Trilarion

Grargar: Hah! Nice try, but Steam doesn't have all of GOG's games! :P
That's easily solved. Just pull those games from the store.
Maighstir: That's easily solved. Just pull those games from the store.
That's insane. GOG would then have to remove their best-sellers (the Hasbro D&D games). :P
Maighstir: That's easily solved. Just pull those games from the store.
Grargar: That's insane. GOG would then have to remove their best-sellers (the Hasbro D&D games). :P
Don't worry, they'll compensate us with 50% off coupons for the Enhanced Editions of Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate :P
real.geizterfahr: Don't worry, they'll compensate us with 50% off coupons for the Enhanced Editions of Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate :P
There are no enhanced editions of Icewind Dale 2, Neverwinter Nights 1+2 and Planescape: Torment, though. :P
real.geizterfahr: Don't worry, they'll compensate us with 50% off coupons for the Enhanced Editions of Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate :P
Grargar: There are no enhanced editions of Icewind Dale 2, Neverwinter Nights 1+2 and Planescape: Torment, though. :P
Tough luck!
The question:

Given that software was sold as "DRM-free" when it in fact still had active DRM. Given that this DRM permitted a phone-home network access to cause the game to automatically disable itself in a legitimately-purchased scenario. What steps will GOG take to ensure this cannot happen in the future? How will GOG.com safeguard their library and their customers against this type of error?

The measures could obviously take many forms: legal, technical testing, a clear procedure for remedy on discovery of irregularities.

What won't be satisfactory is nothing more than "it's fixed".
jsjrodman: ...What steps will GOG take to ensure this cannot happen in the future? How will GOG.com safeguard their library and their customers against this type of error?

The measures could obviously take many forms: legal, technical testing, a clear procedure for remedy on discovery of irregularities.
Technical measures should be easily done. Disable internet connection or configure the firewall and see if the game still runs in single player. But then they would have to repeat this for every patch. Could result in some work.

Legal measures? I guess GOG could demand a declaration of "DRM free"ness from the publisher with some penalties included.

In case the fault is discovered only later? Well then the customers should (theoretically) be able to ask for the money back, even after the 30 days because it was then sold not as advertised. So the customers should ask for the money from GOG and GOG should ask for the money from the publishers. If the publisher can't pay (insolvent) then either GOG or the publisher (depends with whom the buying contract actually is) will have a problem.

For the customer? We should just test the games and if they do not run properly warn other customers. This is the purpose of this thread.