It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Linko90: I'm still a little confused by the backlash towards FPS-RPG. They're hardly a new thing and have a pretty grand track record.
anothername: 'cause they, experienced and known for great TPP games, said its aimed to be both TPP/FPP years ago & ppl loving TPP gameplay getting hyped for it. That should probably be pretty clear by now. Nearly nobody would had made a fuzz about it if they had announced it as FPS in the beginning; hell a few of the ppl being disappointed now for not having a TPP experience might have even checked it out if they never had any foundation to expect it to begin with.

Its not a backlash to the FPS-RPG; its the backlash to not be an TPP RPG.

Confusion cleared up? :)
So people assumed and are not happy their assumptions were not met. We live in strange times!
vidsgame: I'm in no way a perfectionist, it's just the last time I played FPS stealth, I ended up shooting the wall in front of me, alerting the guards and then getting shredded by their bullets. Rinse and repeat about 10 times before I just decided to move on. On to a different game possibly or who knows. Anyway, I'm interested in seeing how it releases and seeing the gameplay but more than likely I'll pick it up 5 or more years after it becomes a GOTY. Probably at the Deus Ex price.
kohlrak: I occasionally do that, too. Usually a dexterity issue: i often give myself away by accidentally shouting in skyrim, as well. Comp. Sci. people understand this to be PEBKAC error. What game was it?

What i often do find is that FPS stealth tends to be far more forgiving on getting caught.
I want to say it was Far Cry, probably the 3rd one but it's been awhile since. You just might be right, it could very well have been user error but there's no doubt camera views have their advantages.

Maybe it is forgiving but I have yet to experience that. I certainly know the first Deus Ex makes you work for stealth. I've tried playing that game attempting the "kill nobody" style but I've only played it for an hour and have yet to even get to a level where I get past without anyone taking notice. That's just the first level/area. Pure beginning. It's different from any other stealth games I encountered. Maybe it works and it's just me.
anothername: 'cause they, experienced and known for great TPP games, said its aimed to be both TPP/FPP years ago & ppl loving TPP gameplay getting hyped for it. That should probably be pretty clear by now. Nearly nobody would had made a fuzz about it if they had announced it as FPS in the beginning; hell a few of the ppl being disappointed now for not having a TPP experience might have even checked it out if they never had any foundation to expect it to begin with.

Its not a backlash to the FPS-RPG; its the backlash to not be an TPP RPG.

Confusion cleared up? :)
Linko90: So people assumed and are not happy their assumptions were not met. We live in strange times!
And when you try to start to get why they assumed you might begin to be less confused about the unexpected big backlash. I hope. :(
Linko90: So people assumed and are not happy their assumptions were not met. We live in strange times!
anothername: And when you try to start to get why they assumed you might begin to be less confused about the unexpected big backlash. I hope. :(
Oh, I get why they assumed it was third person, purely due to past CD Red games being third person. But I genuinely think this is an awful mindset to approach any level of creative media with.
Aw, I was hoping it was going to be another pervy Japanese social game. Marry a cyberpunk pigeon or something.
kohlrak: I occasionally do that, too. Usually a dexterity issue: i often give myself away by accidentally shouting in skyrim, as well. Comp. Sci. people understand this to be PEBKAC error. What game was it?

What i often do find is that FPS stealth tends to be far more forgiving on getting caught.
vidsgame: I want to say it was Far Cry, probably the 3rd one but it's been awhile since. You just might be right, it could very well have been user error but there's no doubt camera views have their advantages.
Far cry is a special beast. Easy is hard, even if you're run and gunning. You're forced to not stealth at many points, and it seems to mostly be focused on only using stealth to get a better position to go murder everyone.
Maybe it is forgiving but I have yet to experience that. I certainly know the first Deus Ex makes you work for stealth. I've tried playing that game attempting the "kill nobody" style but I've only played it for an hour and have yet to even get to a level where I get past without anyone taking notice. That's just the first level/area. Pure beginning. It's different from any other stealth games I encountered. Maybe it works and it's just me.
It's not the camera for Deus Ex, but it's generally bad at teaching how it's stealth works, like most games that don't focus on stealth. Run from cover to cover, and, iirc, movement speed matters little. Kill no one is impossible, but it makes sense given the storyline (i won't spoil it for you). Most of the early game you can kill no one, but you'll do it with tranqs. Realistic in approach, it's pretty hard to pass them without doing something to them. What you generally want to do is stealth to getting a good shot position and tranqing them. Something that makes Deus Ex's stealth unique is that they don't notice moved containers and blocks. One of the most important stealth skills is strength: you can move something to hide behind.
anothername: And when you try to start to get why they assumed you might begin to be less confused about the unexpected big backlash. I hope. :(
Linko90: Oh, I get why they assumed it was third person, purely due to past CD Red games being third person. But I genuinely think this is an awful mindset to approach any level of creative media with.
Well, that and the TPP tease. But generally yes. So far I avoided getting to much hyped about anything anymore which is indeed healthy for the wallet and the nerves; but somehow CP2077 sneaked past my guard. I cared for it, I have to suck it up.

Well, mostly I did. By now I'm more annoyed towards the play dumb attitude from ppl that are intelligent enough to know better why so many ppl at once have been (or are still) riled up than the game itself. But in due time even that will go away.

Maybe in a few years I'll even buy it on some deep discount and love it so much I bite my ass for not getting it sooner. From my current mindset highly unlikely but anything could happen.
Post edited July 01, 2018 by anothername
Now that Squeenix has completely screwed Deus Ex, I'm extremely happy this is an FPS, I NEED this.
The over the shoulder perspective that is now common in third person games irritates the hell out of me. For Dead Space I had to install a mod that would move the camera waaaay out, because I couldn't handle how the player character takes up almost half the screen at any given time.

The choice to go with first person perspective gets 100% approval from me. Besides, System Shock and Deus Ex (and to a smaller extent Jazzpunk) raaaawk. I like my cyberpunk to be first person, wouldn't want it any other way.
Post edited July 01, 2018 by fronzelneekburm
vidsgame: I want to say it was Far Cry, probably the 3rd one but it's been awhile since. You just might be right, it could very well have been user error but there's no doubt camera views have their advantages.
kohlrak: Far cry is a special beast. Easy is hard, even if you're run and gunning. You're forced to not stealth at many points, and it seems to mostly be focused on only using stealth to get a better position to go murder everyone.
That makes more sense then. I'm just so tempted to treat it that way because usually when you go into an action movie and kill people in a jungle, it's way less about guns blazing. Especially, when you have bushes and trees as cover. There's a lot of potential for stealth.

kohlrak: It's not the camera for Deus Ex, but it's generally bad at teaching how it's stealth works, like most games that don't focus on stealth. Run from cover to cover, and, iirc, movement speed matters little. Kill no one is impossible, but it makes sense given the storyline (i won't spoil it for you). Most of the early game you can kill no one, but you'll do it with tranqs. Realistic in approach, it's pretty hard to pass them without doing something to them. What you generally want to do is stealth to getting a good shot position and tranqing them. Something that makes Deus Ex's stealth unique is that they don't notice moved containers and blocks. One of the most important stealth skills is strength: you can move something to hide behind.
I really thought the focus was on stealth when I heard about the game and in the game dialogue itself where killing people is actually discouraged. That advice helps. Thank you.
Linko90: I'm still a little confused by the backlash towards FPS-RPG. They're hardly a new thing and have a pretty grand track record.
Same here, especially as it is a gun-them-down, and not a swords&sorcery. RPG. To me sword fighting may make more sense in a third person view, while shooting makes more sense in first person.
kohlrak: Far cry is a special beast. Easy is hard, even if you're run and gunning. You're forced to not stealth at many points, and it seems to mostly be focused on only using stealth to get a better position to go murder everyone.
vidsgame: That makes more sense then. I'm just so tempted to treat it that way because usually when you go into an action movie and kill people in a jungle, it's way less about guns blazing. Especially, when you have bushes and trees as cover. There's a lot of potential for stealth.
Right, and i've heard of people stealthing through most of the game, and even the parts where you're forced, people have found ways to make it work here and there. I didn't get far, myself, but I distinctly got that vibe that most of the time i'm supposed to sneak past someone just so i can get into a shack or something to fire from, as opposed to the usual all stealth or just running around in a halo/cod style bunny hop fight. This new "fortnite" thing i keep seeing seems to have a similar stance, but a more multiplayer context: your job is to kill everyone who's not on your team, but you don't do this by running in or grabbing one of the popular sniper positions.

kohlrak: It's not the camera for Deus Ex, but it's generally bad at teaching how it's stealth works, like most games that don't focus on stealth. Run from cover to cover, and, iirc, movement speed matters little. Kill no one is impossible, but it makes sense given the storyline (i won't spoil it for you). Most of the early game you can kill no one, but you'll do it with tranqs. Realistic in approach, it's pretty hard to pass them without doing something to them. What you generally want to do is stealth to getting a good shot position and tranqing them. Something that makes Deus Ex's stealth unique is that they don't notice moved containers and blocks. One of the most important stealth skills is strength: you can move something to hide behind.
I really thought the focus was on stealth when I heard about the game and in the game dialogue itself where killing people is actually discouraged. That advice helps. Thank you.
Right, killing is discouraged very, very early on in the game, but there comes a point where some enemies cannot be spared, while others can be, and when this happens, no one faults you for killing everyone you see. Actually, when it discourages you early on with one character, one particular character actually praises you for your ruthlessness, whereas when you play peaceful, the one character insults you for it while all the others praise you for being a good policeman. Mostly, it's cosmetic/narrative (like undertale) and doesn't matter much (unlike undertale where that choice affects endings in addition to dialogue). However, i can tell you never finished the first map. I don't think it's much of a spoiler to say that anyone whom you haven't taken out in your first raid, they end up arrested and/or tranqed before you return to base. You have to think of it like metal gear: stealth games that emphasize non-lethal due so in principle, not because of difficulty, so tranqing someone, tasing them, or something to that effect is considered non-lethal and thus doesn't count against you mechanics wise, and thus you usually get the same rewards as if you avoided detection completely.

I will say, though, that a simple solution to this is to ask yourself if it's human: if it is, try to spare it. No one really cares if you do a lethal takedown on a robot, unless it's a friendly robot. If you want, the first mission is easily the most variable in the game, and in private i'm willing to discuss the different approaches and how you can essentially use stealth to get through all of them. There's lethal stealth, non-lethal stealth, lethal run-and-gun, and non-lethal run-and-gun, which is how i handled my first playthrough (except around hookers and non-humans, because i really hated sluts when i first played deus ex). A cool thing about the non-lethal takedowns is that they behave just like lethal takedown: you aren't going to wake them up after they've been tranqed or something. As far as the engine's concerned, they're dead, but at least it's not like with the heavy weapons they're in a million little pieces.

EDIT: The series is mostly known for stealth to getting to a control panel and either learning a killphrase, finding a username and password, or hacking your way in and turning the camers, turrets, and robots against your enemies for lethal takedowns.
Post edited July 01, 2018 by kohlrak
anothername: Quite a disappointing mess :( Unlike TPP VN was not teased.
https://img.fireden.net/v/image/1454/28/1454288368729.jpg
Hmm, that says mixed FPP/TPP. Isn't that still the case? It switches to third person at some points, like when driving. I would absolutely call that a mixture.
I would maybe say that their intention was poorly communicated, but I don't think they've actually broken the "promise" they made.
Post edited July 01, 2018 by SirPrimalform
CDPR. Is it possible to see a short gameplay vid of CP2077 for GOG members only?

I'm asking because the only fps I've played was metroid on GC. I'm in fpp everyday so I like to see my characters in "games"

I as well was under impression that this game will be from the third perspective.

I do trust your decision but a little gameplay vid for us worriers wouldn't hurt. :P
NovumZ: I'm asking because the only fps I've played was metroid on GC.
And that one wasn't even really an FPS so you've not really played any. I'm in a similar boat. The only true FPS I've played all the way through was No One Lives Forever 2.