It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Welcome to our jolly dystopia.

<span class="bold">We Happy Few</span>, a stylish action/adventure about escaping a city of oppressive happiness, is coming soon, DRM-free on GOG.com.

Did you take your happy pill today? Please try not to skip on your regular dose, otherwise you might start hallucinating and seeing things that shouldn't be there. Like derelict houses dressed in colourful banners. People jumping off London Bridge with a smile painted on their faces. Violent acts against those who refuse to always look on the bright side of life.

You are not one of those, by any chance? Because if so, you better run, hide, or take your happy pill with a nice cup of tea. Before we find you and give it to you.

Wishlist <span class="bold">We Happy Few</span> today and get ready for a dark tale set in a 1960s dystopia of cheerful denial and obligatory merriment, coming soon, DRM-free on GOG.com.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/7-PAEswwgLY
Post edited July 26, 2016 by maladr0Id
Chacranajxy: Am I reading this right? A pre-order for an early access game?

At least there are survival elements. Thank goodness.
It's a "Coming Soon" announcement, not a pre-order :)
Creepy.
No spanish support? :(
This looks really interesting. Wishlisted!
high rated
Manywhelps: Yes, it will be. Permadeath is too frustrating for some people, and the only way to play for others.
catpower1980: Good! But I see on the gamecard there is also the classic hunger/thirst/sleep feature, could it be turned off too? Because for folks like me who don't have much time to play, it's really a turn-off to grind/farm food/water/resources. I don't mind if you make a "casual" mode :o)

BTW, even if the game is still in early access, its general orientation is a bit unclear as it's a list of common features nowadays. Could you describe a typical gameplay experience from start to finish?
Turning that off is not currently an option, or planned. But that's interesting feedback.

On one hand, removing a core mechanic that we built the game around, including the gameplay, the world, and the story, kind of ruins the story and experience we're trying to create.

Without needing to look for food, clean water, etc, the game has no core loop. Removing it is basically taking away the central part of what you do in the game. Imagine removing food from Don't Starve. I mean, it's literally in the title ;)

On the other, I understand the accessibility angle completely. We already made permadeath optional, for the same reason.

So, never say never. However, as a key part of the game we'll need to look into it pretty carefully.

edit: sorry, missed the second half of your question!

The goal of a typical gameplay session is to escape the city. You start with almost nothing in a procedural world. What you find in the world will be different each time you play, but there are challenges that you will need to overcome to win. Initially (and throughout the game) you'll need to find food/water, but gradually your focus turns more towards crafting better weapons, clothing, devices etc.

The game will also have a narrative, but only the introduction/prologue will be present in the Games in Development version. Everything else will come on 1.0, when we're confident that it's a great experience. You guys are hopefully going to be part of that great experience, because the narrative just layers on top of the core game. By improving the core game, we'll improve the narrative playthrough as well.
Post edited July 06, 2016 by Manywhelps
So happy this is coming to GOG - I really enjoyed the art direction based on what I saw at E3. Looking forward to seeing the game released!
Looks creepy and gorgeous, spec heavy maybe....
Manywhelps: So, never say never, but it's a key part of the game. If that's not for you, we understand.
One of the videos on your site says that if you're about to starve, you can take Joy.

Is that automatically death/restart, or does it effectively give you a little longer to play, so long as you don't do it too often?
Manywhelps: So, never say never, but it's a key part of the game. If that's not for you, we understand.
CelineSSauve: One of the videos on your site says that if you're about to starve, you can take Joy.

Is that automatically death/restart, or does it effectively give you a little longer to play, so long as you don't do it too often?
Yeah that's likely to change throughout development. Right now yes, it temporarily suspends your hunger meter, but if you come down it gives you a bigger hit to your food meter than you might have experienced without it. But, if you keep taking Joy, eventually you'll overdose.
NuffCatnip: I like the game's style, reminds me of Bioshock: Infinite.
Vythonaut: Weird, but it reminded me of Dishonored. Must be the retro (futuristic).. Anyway, I dig the art style! As always though, I'll wait for the full release. :)
Dishonored was my first thought as well.

Dishonored mixed with Sir, You Are Being Hunted and Brazil. Interesting looking game - I'll keep my eye on it.
Looks very interesting, and also is very pretty, happily wishlisted.
Manywhelps: Hi folks! Sam from Compulsion here. We're going to keep an eye on the forums etc on launch, and are keen to get your feedback. In the meantime...
I've been looking forward to this game! It looks really interesting! Could you tell us what are the system requirements for We Happy Few? I don't see them listed on the game card.
Breja: We want information. Information. INFORMATION.
Number Six: You won't get it.
Manywhelps: Hi folks! Sam from Compulsion here. We're going to keep an eye on the forums etc on launch, and are keen to get your feedback. In the meantime...
IronArcturus: I've been looking forward to this game! It looks really interesting! Could you tell us what are the system requirements for We Happy Few? I don't see them listed on the game card.
These are the *current* specs (subject to change etc.)

Recommended specs:

Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD, 2.5 GHz or faster
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 660 GTX or AMD Radeon 7870 HD series or higher
DirectX: DirectX 11, Shader Model 5
Operating System: 64 bit, Windows 7 and above

Minimum specs:

Processor: Triple-core Intel or AMD, 2.0 GHz or faster
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 460 GTX or AMD Radeon 5870 HD series or higher
Mobile: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580M or higher.
DirectX: DirectX 11, Shader Model 4
Operating System: 64 bit, Windows 7 and above
Great addition to GOG! Right after I finished Contrast, I looked up the creators and found news about We Happy Few. Simply outstanding I think.

And it's nice to see I am not the only one who was reminded of Dishonored. I got that impression from picture with the police man in the dark street with some electric wall mayhaps?