It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Breja: Damn, I missed that too. Did they say why?
fronzelneekburm: Basically, gog added Zoom Platform to their FCKDRM website. Zoom Platform got wind of it and were not amused.

Some gog forumites also tweeted at Zoom, asking them why they'd turn down free exposure, and Zoom quite literally told them to mind their own business. I can't remember the exact phrasing, but I remember them being quite rude. Really left a sour taste in my mouth as far as Zoom is concerned. There's clearly some bad blood between them and gog over Killing Time, but even if they were in the right, they managed to come off like complete jerks.
To be fair, I also would not want to be in any way associated with "gog-chan".
fronzelneekburm: Some gog forumites also tweeted at Zoom, asking them why they'd turn down free exposure, and Zoom quite literally told them to mind their own business. I can't remember the exact phrasing, but I remember them being quite rude. Really left a sour taste in my mouth as far as Zoom is concerned. There's clearly some bad blood between them and gog over Killing Time, but even if they were in the right, they managed to come off like complete jerks.
I remember that episode and it leaving a sour taste in my mouth as well. They may be in the right for all I know, but their aggressive attitude is not something I can stand behind. Some may call it "defending their turf" and it may be just that, but it has that "I'm a bully when you wrong me and a Casanova when I try to seduce you" kind of vibe. Maybe they're the new inmate in the DRM-Free jail and they have to go beat up the big guy to show'em who's boss :P.

Breja: To be fair, I also would not want to be in any way associated with "gog-chan".
Hidoi desu, onii-chan :P.
Post edited January 18, 2021 by WinterSnowfall
LiefLayer: I agree with your points but I don't think zoom platform is a real alternative to gog (not even close)...even itch that I think is a good platform is not an alternative.
For alternative I mean a website that sell drm free games that I want to buy and play (like Bethesda games), not just some indie games that I decide to buy and play once in a while.
I agree that there is no *real* alternative to GOG, GOG is unique !
The only site that sprung to my mind as having the necessary customer base and muscles to make a serious dent for GOG would be 'Humble Bundle' if they suddenly decided that they wanted to go that way !
But I do not see that happening , Humble is probably happy mostly only selling keys.
We ought not underestimate what GOG has built and delivers in terms of infrastructure and cost of that (I do not see anybody here commenting of the downloads of Cyberpunk 2077) , and I found this old post at another site just as an example (Selling DRM FREE games takes a lot of infrastructure if customers should be happy) (I mean , most of my Steam games I have never had installed but when GOG downloader existed I downloaded everything I bought !!!),

Quote : Ref. : https://www.atman.pl/en/blog-post/how-to-effectively-handle-100-times-more-clients-than-usual/
(Tutorials, Outsourcing of IT infrastructure , Author: Atman )
How to effectively handle 100 times more clients than usual

Within 14 days, nearly 700,000 users of GOG.com downloaded the new version of The Witcher. This means that within 1 second the servers released 3 data packages of about 30 GB each.

It’s about the premiere of The Witcher III released in 2015. The producer of the game – CD Projekt – expecting huge interest of fans from around the world, turned to Atman – a tried-and-tested partner. After reviewing the client’s needs, Atman prepared, launched and shared 85 dedicated servers in the Atman WAW-1 Data Center within 24 hours. The GOG.com service used reinforced infrastructure for 3 months until the first wave of interest subsided.

CD Projekt has been using Atman services for almost 6 years. It started with the colocation of servers and Internet access, then additional links, data transmission services and server lease were added. Now, the client no longer maintains its own servers in the data center – it only uses the Infrastructure as a Service. Since 2013, every year, it periodically increases its IT resources in Atman during the launch of new products.
mrkgnao: I thought I'd keep a record of games I would definitely have bought, were it not for the boycott.
Great idea. I think it's a worthy metric for Gog of the money they could count on if they were to change their direction. I plan on doing the same; unfortunately I can't remember all the titles and prices I dismissed in previous sales.

Some I remember I was surely interested in getting this weekend were Cat Quest 2 and Van Helsing Final Cut, and Kingdom Come Deliverance in the Winter Sale. But there were many more.

From this day forward:
18/01/21 :
- Dark Quest 1 and 2 : $0.76
- Regalia: Royal Edition : $2.66

08/02/21:
- Pilot Brothers 1, 2 and 3; The Dream Machine: $4.20
Post edited February 10, 2021 by joppo
mrkgnao: I thought I'd keep a record of games I would definitely have bought, were it not for the boycott.
joppo: Great idea. I think it's a worthy metric for Gog of the money they could count on if they were to change their direction. I plan on doing the same; unfortunately I can't remember all the titles and prices I dismissed in previous sales.

Some I remember I was surely interested in getting this weekend were Cat Quest 2 and Van Helsing Final Cut, and Kingdom Come Deliverance in the Winter Sale. But there were many more.

<snip>
I'm sure those that you forgot will come up again in a future sale and you can add them then.
Post edited February 10, 2021 by mrkgnao
fronzelneekburm: Some gog forumites also tweeted at Zoom, asking them why they'd turn down free exposure, and Zoom quite literally told them to mind their own business. I can't remember the exact phrasing, but I remember them being quite rude. Really left a sour taste in my mouth as far as Zoom is concerned. There's clearly some bad blood between them and gog over Killing Time, but even if they were in the right, they managed to come off like complete jerks.
WinterSnowfall: I remember that episode and it leaving a sour taste in my mouth as well. They may be in the right for all I know, but their aggressive attitude is not something I can stand behind. Some may call it "defending their turf" and it may be just that, but it has that "I'm a bully when you wrong me and a Casanova when I try to seduce you" kind of vibe. Maybe they're the new inmate in the DRM-Free jail and they have to go beat up the big guy to show'em who's boss :P.
I have to fully disagree with this thought, if it was about following post on social media:
https://twitter.com/gogcom/status/1043161311796969473

Although, promoting DRM-free stuff is a good intention, selling this DRM-free stuff is not so profitable business nowadays. So it's quite an achievement, in its own way. And, in my opinion, taking someone's credit for that without asking for their permission first doesn't make you a good boy. It's quite an opposite. It can also explain Zoom's strict attitude regarding that situation.
Post edited January 18, 2021 by AWG43
Breja: To be fair, I also would not want to be in any way associated with "gog-chan".
WinterSnowfall: Hidoi desu, onii-chan :P.
hdoi something something yourself, you hard-boiled turtle slapper!
AWG43: I have to fully disagree. Selling only DRM-free stuff is not so profitable business nowadays. So it's quite an achievement, in its own way. And, in my opinion, taking someone's credit for that without asking for their permission first doesn't make you a good boy. It's quite an opposite. It can also explain Zoom's strict attitude regarding that situation.
You are disagreeing with something I never said - mainly that Zoom should not enforce their rights in a dog eat dog business world. I'm all for that - all I'm saying is that how they chose to enforce their rights (what you call "a strict attitude") could have been more nuanced. And, as fronzelneekburm mentioned, them pushing around some GOG users that have asked about the situation does not make it any better. You can put your foot in the door as a gentleman or as an asshole, and it seems to me in this particular situation they went with the latter.

Breja: you hard-boiled turtle slapper!
I actually had to ponder a bit to remember where I heard that one before, but I did manage to place it in the end. I'm cured of amnesia, doctor :P.
AWG43: I have to fully disagree. Selling only DRM-free stuff is not so profitable business nowadays. So it's quite an achievement, in its own way. And, in my opinion, taking someone's credit for that without asking for their permission first doesn't make you a good boy. It's quite an opposite. It can also explain Zoom's strict attitude regarding that situation.
WinterSnowfall: You are disagreeing with something I never said - mainly that Zoom should not enforce their rights in a dog eat dog business world. I'm all for that - all I'm saying is that how they chose to enforce their rights (what you call "a strict attitude") could have been more nuanced. And, as fronzelneekburm mentioned, them pushing around some GOG users that have asked about the situation does not make it any better. You can put your foot in the door as a gentleman or as an asshole, and it seems to me in this particular situation they went with the latter.
I edited my post, so now it should better reflect what I was trying to say. My apologize. Also I added a link to Zoom's answer regarding the situation you were probably talking about.
Post edited January 18, 2021 by AWG43
AWG43: I edited my post, so now it should better reflect what I was trying to say. My apologize. Also I added a link to Zoom's answer regarding the situation you were probably talking about.
No worries. I was not actually referring to that post, but to the dismissive comments they made on the Zoom forums when someone asked why they were opposed to the free publicity and what the issue with Killing Time was all about (back when people where not aware of the dispute). I also vaguely remember an attempt someone from Zoom made at publicly shaming GOG for an alleged theft...

I'm not sure if I can find a link to it now, but I remember someone linking the conversation at the time and the "sour taste" I was left with reading through it all. Perhaps this was just a one-time incident, but I've heard other potentially shady licensing stuff Zoom has pulled and personally this has triggered some alarms... but your mileage may vary.

I'm not saying they're not an alternative to GOG or that they are worse, just that I don't think they've started off with the same intention or goodwill that GOG had in its early days, which is what I've heard a lot of people compare Zoom to.
low rated
SuperLibby72: Curse - The Eye of Isis ( I love these games. Thanks )
Hope you like it. :)

A head's up: it is mainly(besides shooting enemies in game and such) keyboard based.

SuperLibby72: What's with all the downvotes on my post out of the blue? haha
It's just the few trolls here...they low rate me and those who talk to me as well sometimes.....my advice is to pay it no mind. :)

SuperLibby72: Zoom store needs a lot of work to be a competitor. IMO they should add screenshots of the games, instead of just video. Already had an issue buying the Cuban Missile Crisis and not getting Ice Crusade with it.
Yeah the site needs work.....I hear tell they are working on it, though.

(first priorities seem to be getting more games and payment methods)

=-=-=

fronzelneekburm: I'm sorry, just looking at their main page zoom is not a viable alternative. Navigating their page is even more of a pain than navigating gog (no mean feat!), the big banner is advertising a build of Postal 2 that is close to 7 years out of date (no Paradise Lost there as well, lol), the catalogue is meh,...
Well in order for it to become one it needs to grow, and for that it needs support(i.e. customers buying things and spreading the word).

That said, I hear tell they will be adding more games this year and also fixing the site.....but they have other priorities(more games and payment methods, etc) to get to first, as I just told the user above.

On that one game: as with GOG, they of course can only sell the versions they're allowed to/given.

fronzelneekburm: Just because I'm not buying from gog until they smarten up doesn't mean I'll latch onto the next service, regardless of how blatantly terrible it is.
Fair enough, but you could maybe just let others know about it in case they want to check it out.....it needs help(in part) from people such as us to grow and get better, after all. :)
=-=-=

Lifthrasil: Unfortunately the webpage of zoom-platform is indeed hard to navigate and it's hard to find games, if you aren't looking for something specific. Also, they don't have a forum yet, which is a minus. But they are still 100% DRM-free and, according to the message from the owner, dedicated to remaining 100% DRM-free. The years will show if they will stick to that principle, or if they, like GOG, will abandon it eventually.
The sad reality is that most stores/companies become as GOG has become over time, so it's possible. That said, it seems(minus the negatives like site traversal) decent enough for now.
Post edited January 18, 2021 by GamezRanker
low rated
SuperLibby72: Curse - The Eye of Isis ( I love these games. Thanks )
GamezRanker: Hope you like it. :)

A head's up: it is mainly(besides shooting enemies in game and such) keyboard based.

SuperLibby72: What's with all the downvotes on my post out of the blue? haha
GamezRanker: It's just the few trolls here...they low rate me and those who talk to me as well sometimes.....my advice is to pay it no mind. :)

SuperLibby72: Zoom store needs a lot of work to be a competitor. IMO they should add screenshots of the games, instead of just video. Already had an issue buying the Cuban Missile Crisis and not getting Ice Crusade with it.
GamezRanker: Yeah the site needs work.....I hear tell they are working on it, though.

(first priorities seem to be getting more games and payment methods)

=-=-=

fronzelneekburm: I'm sorry, just looking at their main page zoom is not a viable alternative. Navigating their page is even more of a pain than navigating gog (no mean feat!), the big banner is advertising a build of Postal 2 that is close to 7 years out of date (no Paradise Lost there as well, lol), the catalogue is meh,...
GamezRanker: Well in order for it to become one it needs to grow, and for that it needs support(i.e. customers buying things and spreading the word).

That said, I hear tell they will be adding more games this year and also fixing the site.....but they have other priorities(more games and payment methods, etc) to get to first, as I just told the user above.

On that one game: as with GOG, they of course can only sell the versions they're allowed to/given.

fronzelneekburm: Just because I'm not buying from gog until they smarten up doesn't mean I'll latch onto the next service, regardless of how blatantly terrible it is.
GamezRanker: Fair enough, but you could maybe just let others know about it in case they want to check it out.....it needs help(in part) from people such as us to grow and get better, after all. :)
I hope Zoom does grow and become a Competitor to GOG. This will only be good for GOG and the supporters IMO.
low rated
joppo: First and foremost I'd like to see competent categorization of the games, easy ways to browse and filter the library, support for more payment providers, an About page that affirms their commitment to DRM-freeness, and a forum (preferably one that isn't broken and ancient).
Vid related ;)

(what I mean to say with the above link is that i'd rather a game seller stay DRM free more than them posting a guarantee on some page on their site.....I mean, if other companies like GOG itself have shown, those guarantees can easily be broken)
AWG43: I edited my post, so now it should better reflect what I was trying to say. My apologize. Also I added a link to Zoom's answer regarding the situation you were probably talking about.
WinterSnowfall: No worries. I was not actually referring to that post, but to the dismissive comments they made on the Zoom forums when someone asked why they were opposed to the free publicity and what the issue with Killing Time was all about (back when people where not aware of the dispute).

I'm not sure if I can find a link to it now, but I remember someone linking the conversation at the time and the "sour taste" I was left with reading through it all. Perhaps this was just a one-time incident, but I've heard other potentially shady licensing stuff Zoom has pulled and personally this has triggered some alarms... but your mileage may vary.

I'm not saying they're not an alternative to GOG or that they are worse, just that I don't think they've started off with the same intention GOG had in its early days, which is what I've heard a lot of people compare Zoom to.
I can't compare Zoom Platform to GOG either, because I don't even see any notifications about any sale on their store. Hell, I don't even see any "best deals for video games" sites mentioning Zoom, or promoting it in any way. So Zoom Platform remains barely noticeable for the broad audience.

Also I can't find the exact post you are referring to, as well as any Zoom forums. So for now I can only rely on the post that I could find. Maybe I will change my opinion when I have better source of information. Who knows. :)
low rated
WinterSnowfall: I'm not saying they're not an alternative to GOG or that they are worse, just that I don't think they've started off with the same intention or goodwill that GOG had in its early days, which is what I've heard a lot of people compare Zoom to.
Tbh i'd rather have a crude and crass yet honest company than one that hides behind a (possibly false) facade of civility. Them doing a good job at what they do(selling games and making them DRM free) matters more to me in the long run. :)

=-=-=

SuperLibby72: I hope Zoom does grow and become a Competitor to GOG. This will only be good for GOG and the supporters IMO.
Agreed