It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Sarafan: I know the Hitman release still generates a lot of emotions, but I have to kindly ask you to remain civil and chill down your emotions a bit. This is directed especially to Krogan32 and Grooves. Insulting others (even if it's not vulgar) or using anti-vaccination argument as an example in the discussion, is a violation of our rules. Any insults or political arguments beyond this point will result in an official warning. Thank you.
I never insulted anyone. Yet, I'm getting lambasted with constant insults from others because I am showing that they are engaging in mass hysteria over this issue while spreading unsubstantiated fears.
Post edited September 29, 2021 by Krogan32
high rated
494 items on my account - super close to 500.

been a member since 2011.

was half planning to buy the very big [$90] divinity bundle that had all of those games in it to get me there, but i'm not going to do that now.

count me in as part of the boycott.
lostwolfe: 494 items on my account - super close to 500.

was half planning to buy the very big [$90] divinity bundle that had all of those games in it to get me there, but i'm not going to do that now.

Welcome aboard.
low rated
snip
Post edited September 29, 2021 by 7PCGamer
lostwolfe: 494 items on my account - super close to 500.

mrkgnao: Welcome aboard.
thank you :)
high rated
You can count me in on the boycott, I stopped buying games on GOG for quite a while now because it is a subpar experience in many ways and they don't stick to their own "values". Remember "one world, one price"? And I said back then: "Time will tell when they start to dismantle DRM-free". Yes, here we are.
low rated
If I might ask a curious question. If you boycott GoG, then I hope in the name of all that is reasonable you don't run back to Valve. if we're discussing a boycott, what would be an alternative, if any. You can answer "I'm done with games on the PC for the future time," that is on the table. you can say you'll only buy physical medium, but then stuff like StarSector gets fucked.

I'm simply curious. I don't know what other choice there is then to just, not play games for the foreseeable future if your boycotting GoG -and- steam at the same time.
low rated
If you drop the Devotion angle, I'll say I'm sympathetic to the boycott based on the DRM aspect.

However, I will not penalize indie devs because GOG can't stick to their guns concerning DRM and appear unwilling to rigorously document to what extent their games aren't DRM-free.

Heck, the creator of Unepic just released another game. I'm gonna boycott him because of GOG? Not in my lifetime.

GOG is just a store. If it gets to the point where I want to go "full boycott", I will just change store (if you are mostly interested in indie games, I believe there are more options) and won't come back.
Post edited September 29, 2021 by Magnitus
I just added this note to my post a few pages back:
EDIT3: After writing a script to download all pages of my order history... Yes, my 2021 spending to date was almost $2700. 2020 was nearly $3000 in total across the whole year. 2019 was "just" $2000. (It adds up quickly when you're content buying things on release at full price...)
If you're curious about your own, check the gogrepo.py thread for the bit I just added [not yet accepted into main, but you can find it in my fork] to dump your order history to a CSV.
high rated
I know I asked to be removed from the boycott list back in April since it seemed like GOG had made a couple of minor improvements, but this Hitman release is on another level of going against their principles.
Please add me back on the list until either Hitman is removed from the store or the single player content locked to Galaxy is removed.

Thanks again Time4Tea
Magnitus: If you drop the Devotion angle, I'll say I'm sympathetic to the boycott based on the DRM aspect.

However, I will not penalize indie devs because GOG can't stick to their guns concerning DRM and appear unwilling to rigorously document to what extent their games aren't DRM-free.

Heck, the creator of Unepic just released another game. I'm gonna boycott him because of GOG? Not in my lifetime.

GOG is just a store. If it gets to the point where I want to go "full boycott", I will just change store (if you are mostly interested in indie games, I believe there are more options) and won't come back.
One alternative you could do is the following. When there is an indie game you want to buy:
* First, check to see if a suitable version is available DRM-free elsewhere. (itch.io is a good place to check). If it is, buy it there.
* Failing that, buy the game at GOG.

This wouldn't be a full GOG boycott, but would still be a partial boycott that doesn't hurt indie developers.

Incidentally, the developer will typically get a bigger share from itch.io than from other sites because itch.io allows the seller to set the amount of revenue thst goes to the site:
https://itch.io/updates/introducing-open-revenue-sharing
high rated
Just here to to show my support while I honestly don't know whatelse to say. After the cyberpunk piggyback map it was clear how gog manages and see things and what is important to them (to push galaxy) and what anymore. Drm-free (or fck drm) has become to a nice catchy pr-phrase that looks nice on shirts but otherwise has no meaning anymore.

And it's not just Hitman, the piggy-back map or Devotion, that are just the highlights of the last months and it seems gog has no intense to change. After a week and the same typical and meaningless reaction from them we have again complete silence and the attempt to sit out the whole situation again. Sorry to say gog, that's bad business and for you more important bad pr.

Personally for me nothing has changed, my trust is still gone and I have no good feelings to buy here due to the high risk to catch a cuckoo's egg. Playing and buying games should be fun, on gog that's unfortunately not the case anymore.
Magnitus: If you drop the Devotion angle, I'll say I'm sympathetic to the boycott based on the DRM aspect.

Unmetal is also on the versus evil store. Not sure if there games are drm free, I asked on Twitter, when I will get the answer if it's drm free you can get Unmetal without using gog.
For what we know it could also be drm free on steam (many games are) or epic, or you could use the open source alternative to steam api Goldberg

Ps. Unepic is drm free both on humble bundle and on the official developer website, so there is a good chance for Unmetal too
Ps2. Unmetal is not drm free on steam, still not sure about the epic version and the versus evil store version
Ps3. No luck for the versus evil store, they sell steam key. If the epic store use a drm too maybe the steam api alternative will work. Of course I don't support developers that make it harder to get the drm free version of a game.
Post edited September 29, 2021 by LiefLayer
mastyer-kenobi: If I might ask a curious question. If you boycott GoG, then I hope in the name of all that is reasonable you don't run back to Valve. if we're discussing a boycott, what would be an alternative, if any. You can answer "I'm done with games on the PC for the future time," that is on the table. you can say you'll only buy physical medium, but then stuff like StarSector gets fucked.

I'm simply curious. I don't know what other choice there is then to just, not play games for the foreseeable future if your boycotting GoG -and- steam at the same time.
There is this thread listing some alternatives:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_video_games_digital_distributors
They aren't all totally DRM-free shops in that list though. Zoom Platform now claims that it is "always DRM free" on it's main page and I like the look of FireFlower Games because they are exclusively DRM-free and sell the kind of games I like. I have a large backlog so haven't bought anything besides Detention and Devotion since starting to boycott GOG though.
In the absence of any decent shop I would give up paying for PC games like I did years ago when I discovered Steam had infested one of the disks I bought and held my game to ransom if I didn't install their pointless launcher.
Okay, slightly different case here.

I did not plan on boycotting and I think realistically GOG is still the best choice for DRM-free. However, Galaxy 2.0 has soured me on GOG and things didn't really get better. Since then I usually looked at sales, saw a few interesting games and ultimately didn't feel like buying anything, because the joy was sucked right out of the process. Wasn't anything like a boycott on principle. Just happened.

So I just had a look at my order history.

Now I am not a big spender by any means. Used to be ~100-150€ a year. In 2020 that dropped to 53.81€.

For 2021 I am at 6.69€.

And it took DLC for my favourite game ever to even spend that much.

I was (and still am, really) expecting this apathy to go away, if GOG managed not to shoot themselves in the foot for a few months. It doesn't seem like that's going to be the case anytime soon, though. So I don't want to boycott, but for all practical purposes that is pretty much what I am doing. So you might as well add me to the list. Or to the sympathetic list, if my stance isn't strong enough, whatever you feel is a better fit. As far as actions I'd like to see GOG taking: I don't know, stop embarrassing yourself? A clear stance on DRM would be a great start. If you want to erode that principle, cool, I'm too tired to care at this point. But let's at least be honest about it. Give those developers/publishers who care about DRM-free a chance to commit to it, give their games a DRM-free guarantee label and let me filter the store for that. This "core singleplayer experience is DRM-free" thing really doesn't cut it, if I have to investigate for every release whether GOG, the dev, and myself even share the same definition of what is part of that core singleplayer experience. I think that's a ridiculously low bar to clear.