It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Zrevnur: Of course they want to make money. But do they (given Polish history, maybe look that up if you dont know) really want CDP groveling to CCP?
To many these days, money and convenience are(or seem to be) king...i've witnessed or read about multiple examples of people(including myself on a few rare occasions, admittedly) sometimes ignoring their own beliefs for one or both.

Essentially they are willing to ignore such things(at least in some cases) for the money they get as a result of ignoring such things.

Zrevnur: (And I dont think the Devotion thing was due to GOG vs China but rather due to future CDPR games vs China.)
Bingo...that is likely a good part of the reason for the devotion decision....they likely didn't want to lose out on the 2077 sales(or sales of any future cdpr games) in that country.
low rated
B1tF1ghter: A good number doesn't understand the difference between unproven accusations ("he is in that peaceful protest where a minor amount of troublemakers showed up so he must be one of those") versus facts and reality ("he is in said protest where a bunch or racists showed up but he is a separate individual and therefore should be judged by HIS actions and not others'").
Or some will sometimes fail to take into account the context of someone's words/actions/etc, and just assume "every mention of X is bad, and every use of action Y is also bad".

B1tF1ghter: Basically GOG is a bunch of unfaithful grey zone merchants who cannot resist breaking ANY of their vows if they see money.
Grey zone?

But yeah: GOG says "no mentions of politics in the forums", but has no trouble approving/selling various games(like the co-vid simulator and also the ri-ot-ing game last year) that capitalize of current events/politics.

Imo they'd have likely LOVED to have sold this game due to the amount of eyes on it, but they also likely didn't want to lose out on them chyna bux. If not for that, I am guessing the game would likely be sold here right now.

B1tF1ghter: They cannot even craft lie believable enough to give even an ILLUSION of caring.
They probably could, I am guessing, but that'd take time/money away from 'important' things like galaxy development and the like.
=-=-=

Time4Tea: I will add a link to this page to the first post later, as a permanent answer to those who keep claiming (erroneously) that consumer actions can't possibly have an effect on a large corporation. It is utter bunk and provably false.
Nitpick: People aren't(as far as I can tell) saying ALL boycotts don't work, just that a good number don't work.
(usually due to not enough people being on board or enough shit being stirred on social media, the news, etc)

Now this is not to say that means THIS ONE will fail....just that the chances are not very likely.
(especially given GOG's track record with responding to such movements over the last few years)

Still, it is nice to see the pushback to the decision is still alive and well to some extent. :)
Post edited March 14, 2021 by GamezRanker
B1tF1ghter: Basically GOG is a bunch of unfaithful grey zone merchants who cannot resist breaking ANY of their vows if they see money.
GamezRanker: Grey zone?
Grey zone, yes, on many levels.
Because:
- many of their actions are questionable at best
- they are actively pushing what's moral
- they openly lie into it's customers faces ("you can communicate with use through Z channels and we WILL get back to you", "our store is 100% DRM-free", etc)
- some of the clauses in their TOS are pushing the boundaries what's legal to do (for example the "we can ban you at our own discretion / we decide what's right or not" clause)
- let me say this yet another time - to make the store page of product Q live (and the game's product page WAS LIVE for few hours) you have to sign a contract first and if you back off from it you are OBLIGATED to provide REAL reason to the over side of the contract and you absolutely CANNOT lie PUBLICLY either - but apparently GOG thinks providing slippery slope PR BS statement with no reality backing whatsoever is "ok" and "legal"

Time4Tea: I will add a link to this page to the first post later, as a permanent answer to those who keep claiming (erroneously) that consumer actions can't possibly have an effect on a large corporation. It is utter bunk and provably false.
GamezRanker: Nitpick: People aren't(as far as I can tell) saying ALL boycotts don't work, just that a good number don't work.
Some people seem to be saying actually exactly that (that none work).

GamezRanker: (usually due to not enough people being on board or enough shit being stirred on social media, the news, etc)
Some people live in self-fulfilling prophecies.
Nevermind.
Post edited March 17, 2021 by 2021AD
Welp, Red Candle are selling their games on their own website now.

Anyone who buys the forbidden game should mention so in one of the dedicated threads that just popped up so GOG can see the sales they didn't make.
Time4Tea: I would like to announce that I have decided to boycott GOG for 2021. This is in response to several decisions the site has made over the past year that I believe have been deeply misguided:

Count me in.

I'm already buying less than usual here due to a combination of facts.
And I will continue to reduce my purchases.
high rated
I just like to point out that anyone boycotting GOG, but buying on steam, is selling the cow to buy the milk.
If you oppose bowing to China, if you oppose DRM...and all the rest of it.. Then buying on steam makes you a hypocrite.
Nice. I wasn't really that interested in Devotion before this controversy. But I'm going to get it in the Red Candle store. Just to be on the safe side to get it before the Chinese government finds a way to make the store disappear again. They sell the game DRM-free, so no matter what the CCP does, you get to keep the game.
low rated
B1tF1ghter: Grey zone, yes, on many levels.
Thanks for the info and clarifying what you meant.
(I thought it was something to do with abandon-ware, and was confused what you meant)

B1tF1ghter: Some people seem to be saying actually exactly that (that none work).
As far as I saw(from reading and skimming off/on) the ones mainly doing such were trolls...i'd pay them no mind.

(most others saying similar were afaik just inferring/pointing out that the majority of modern boycotts don't work)

=-=-=

ReynardFox: Welp, Red Candle are selling their games on their own website now.

Anyone who buys the forbidden game should mention so in one of the dedicated threads that just popped up so GOG can see the sales they didn't make.
You forgot to post the link here, in case people want to buy it :)

Here y'all go: Red Candle E-Shop
Post edited March 15, 2021 by GamezRanker
GamezRanker: Thanks for the info and clarifying what you meant.
(I thought it was something to do with abandon-ware, and was confused what you meant)
Well... you wouldn't be entirely wrong, after all pretty evidently GOG has abandoned us on the forum, getting any kind of blue interactions is extreme rarity.

GamezRanker: You forgot to post the link here, in case people want to buy it :)

Personally I am in pretty dire financial situation atm so this will have to wait for me for now (I cannot afford buying any games atm, I am going through quite an ordeal IRL atm).
I hope their hosting provider has appropriate DDoS protection...
GamezRanker: Thanks for the info and clarifying what you meant.

B1tF1ghter: Some people seem to be saying actually exactly that (that none work).
GamezRanker: As far as I saw(from reading and skimming off/on) the ones mainly doing such were trolls...i'd pay them no mind.

(most others saying similar were afaik just inferring/pointing out that the majority of modern boycotts don't work)

=-=-=

GamezRanker: You forgot to post the link here, in case people want to buy it :)

So is this Devotion the best game ever then? It seems to be almost all the posts on here (bots, spammers excluding) are about it? Looks to me like any other point and click walking sim.

For me there are thousands of points on this store for which there needs to be a boycot (only just the other day supporting streaming for instance).
Lifthrasil: Nice. I wasn't really that interested in Devotion before this controversy. But I'm going to get it in the Red Candle store. Just to be on the safe side to get it before the Chinese government finds a way to make the store disappear again. They sell the game DRM-free, so no matter what the CCP does, you get to keep the game.
Yes, this is great news and I will definitely be buying a copy! I also hear (from the Zoom Platform Discord) that it should also be coming to their store soon.

Shame on you, GOG.
Post edited March 15, 2021 by Time4Tea
low rated
Vendor-Lazarus: I just like to point out that anyone boycotting GOG, but buying on steam, is selling the cow to buy the milk.
If you oppose bowing to China, if you oppose DRM...and all the rest of it.. Then buying on steam makes you a hypocrite.
I don't see this way.
Steam is upfront on what it is.
GOG is chamelon that keep changing color and is leaving behind everything it represented.

A bit like happened with CP2077.
Post edited March 15, 2021 by OldOldGamer
low rated
B1tF1ghter: Personally I am in pretty dire financial situation atm so this will have to wait for me for now (I cannot afford buying any games atm, I am going through quite an ordeal IRL atm).
Well that link was more to everyone in the thread....sorry for not making that a tad more clear.

Also sorry to hear you're in bad financial/etc straits. I hope your situation improves soon enough.

=-=-=

nightcraw1er.488: So is this Devotion the best game ever then? It seems to be almost all the posts on here (bots, spammers excluding) are about it? Looks to me like any other point and click walking sim.
Well, it's not the be all end all of this boycott, but it is one of the things that likely got it going. Also it's a sort of win(however the size) against creative media being censored and some here likely want to support such things, so I posted the link.

As for walking sims: some of em are quite nice to explore/walk through. :)

nightcraw1er.488: For me there are thousands of points on this store for which there needs to be a boycot (only just the other day supporting streaming for instance).
Then this boycott may be for you.....the OP stated several reasons why they started it, but I am guessing people can join in for any number of reasons of their choosing.

(as for streaming and GOG: if streaming is going to come, i'd rather it be optional and like the one GOG is pushing than stuff like Stadia, and think some are worrying needlessly on that one issue....but others are of course free to believe as they will)
Post edited March 15, 2021 by GamezRanker
Decided to support the devs and bought the complete bundle from their website. It’s unlikely that GOG are gonna get their head out of their ass in the foreseeable future: their Chinese masters won’t allow them.
Post edited March 15, 2021 by JarJarRIP