It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Include Me :) I listed all I read so far below. For books I read in language other then English I put English name in brackets unless the book wasn't translated to English.

20 lat nowej Polski w reportażach według Mariusza Szczygła by Mariusz Szczygieł
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
All Flesh is Grass by Clifford Simak
All System Red by Martha Wells
A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny
Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer
Apology by Plato
Augustus by John Williams
Authority by Jeff Vandermeer
A w konopiach strach by Jerzy Vetulani and Maria Mazurek
Bieguni (Flights) by Olga Tokarczuk
Boogiepop and Others by Kouhei Kando
Chimeryczny lokator (The Tenant) by Roland Topor
Chrzest Ognia (Baptism of Fire) by Andrzej Sapkowski
Circe by Madeline Miller
Claudius the God and His Wife Messalina by Robert Graves
Coriolanus by William Shakespeare
Czas Pogardy (The Time of Contempt) by Andrzej Sapkowski
Dirk Gently's Holisitic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams
Dwanaście krzeseł (Twelve Chairs) by Ilya Ilf and Eugene Petrov
Extensa by Jacek Dukaj
Freshwater by Akwaeke Emezi
Game Programming Patterns by Robert Nystrom
Gifts For the One Who Comes After by Helen Marshall
Gniazdo światów (Nest of Worlds) by Marek S. Huberath
Human Erros: A Panorama of Our Glitches, From Pointless Bones to Broken Genes by Nathan H. Lents
Hunting Harkonnens by Brian Herbert, Kevin J. Anderson
I, Claudius by Robert Graves
Inne Pieśni by Jacek Dukaj
Invisible Planets (anthology of Chinese sci-fi)
Jagannath by Karin Tidbeck
Kirgiz schodzi z konia by Ryszard Kapuściński
Krew elfów (The Blood of Elves) by Andrzej Sapkowski
Life and Death Are Wearing Me Out by Mo Yan
Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey
Lód by Jacek Dukaj
Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky
Metro 2034 by Dmitry Glukhovsky
Narrenturm by Andrzej Sapkowski
Neuroerotyka. Rozmowy o seksie i nie tylko by Jerzy Vetulani and Maria Mazurek
Pani Jeziora (Lady of the Lake) by Andrzej Sapkowski
Patolodzy. Panie doktorze, czy to rak? by Paulina Łopatniuk
Perfekcyjna Niedoskonałość by Jacek Dukaj
Piknik na skraju drogi (Roadside Picnic) by Arkady Strugatsky, Boris Strugatsky
QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter by Richard P. Feynman
Rękopis znaleziony w Saragossie (The Manuscript Found in Saragossa) by Jan Potocki
Sing by Karin Tidbeck
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Starość Aksolotla by Jacek Dukaj
Stiff - The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach
Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang
Tales by Hovhannes Tumanyan
The Call of Cthulhu by H.P. Lovecraft
The Collector by John Fowles
The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee
The Gospel According to Artyom by Dmitry Glukhovsky
The Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy by Douglas Adams
The Magus by John Fowles
The Shunned House by H. P. Lovecraft
The Tell-Tale Brain by V.S. Ramachandran
The Twenty Days of Turin by Giorgio De Maria
Toast za przodków by Wojciech Górecki
Vita Nostra by Marina ans Sergey Dyachenko
What Doctor Gottlieb Saw by Ian Tregillis
What if? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randal Munroe
Wieczny Grunwald by Szczepan Twardoch
W rajskiej dolinie wśród zielska by Jacek Hugo-Bader
Złote Cielę (Golden Calf) by Ilya Ilf and Eugene Petrov
Zwrotnice dziejów. Alternatywne historie Polski by Andrzej Chwalba and Wojciech Harpula
Post edited December 21, 2019 by entroumi
Swallowtail and Sword: The Scholar's Book of Story and Song

It’s unusual for me to enjoy short stories, but this time I did. That’s in part thanks to the writing, which does again rise to the level I have gotten to expect from the author, with all the care obviously put into it, including the particularly good use of structure and patterns. There were also far fewer typos this time around, several in Kerris’ story but only a few in all the others put together. But the main reason is that these aren’t scattered stories, but the backstories of characters I already know and care for, meaningful and connected with ties that are stronger than the forces of the different times and places trying to separate them. Considering the complaints I had about those, I’d call Swallowtail and Sword better than some of the “proper” books in the series.
Taking the stories separately, the first was Jeffrey’s and the clear postapocalyptic setting overshadowed the positive aspects, while the legend at the end seemed quite out of place in a different way. But other than that, I even sort of enjoyed Ling’s story, despite obviously being bothered by the court intrigue and, as I call it, human filth portrayed in it. Maybe I wasn’t particularly impressed by any aspect of the one about Kirin and his horse, but I can’t find faults in it either, and I also can’t exactly find faults in Fallon’s story, the setting, this time an institution of formal education, again likely being what bothered me to some extent, but in that case I was once again drawn to her unfiltered but well-meaning awkwardness, and even to the way her insecurity is depicted. Sireth’s and Sherah’s struck me as truly, simply, good stories; no complaints. And I’d have likely considered Kerris’ as the best if not for the author insisting on ruining it with that last part. As it is, I’ll have to say that Ursa and Kirin’s is likely the best. But, with the possible exception of the first and the last, they’re all good even separately, and even better when taken as a whole.

Rating: 4/5
Post edited September 03, 2019 by Cavalary
entroumi: ...
Welcome on board, entroumi. What an impressive list!
ciemnogrodzianin: Welcome on board, entroumi. What an impressive list!
Thanks, now I'm bit stuck with reading due to amount of work and nice games to play ;)
Mythology by Edith Hamilton

A nice refresher on Greek and Roman mythology, with a sadly brief chapter on Norse mythology.

According to Edith, the Greeks made their gods in their own image and made them more relatable, compared to the Middle Eastern half animal half human gods
★★☆ Dary Bogów / Witold Jabłoński
★★☆ L'Apparition / Didier van Cauwelaert
★☆☆ Przygotowanie przedszkolaka do szkoły / Beata Nadolna

List of all books read in 2019.
The Alloy of Law

This just isn't done, taking a fantasy world forward, skipping centuries and having its level of development actually change drastically, yet Sanderson did it anyway. I still much prefer more typical fantasy settings, and an Industrial Revolution keeps making me think of the environmental damage caused, but must admit that a fantasy world having its Industrial Revolution can be an interesting place. Or at least, at this point, this one is, even if there isn't that much worldbuilding in this book, being too short to allow for it and very focused on the action. But the newspaper inserts help with that to some extent, or at least add to the flavor, and otherwise it does just what it aims to do, being something of a fantasy Western, a novel that's lighter in various ways but thrilling, offering readers a sort of intermission in some ways but gripping them and pulling them towards what comes next in others.
Perhaps as the main bridge over the centuries that were skipped, the magic system is nevertheless presented in great detail, albeit with a clear focus on its use in battles and on the specific abilities of the main characters. And what characters they are, Wax obviously being the most developed and most interesting but Marasi standing out as well and Wayne being another piece that fits in just right to make for a great trio. He doesn't work so well on his own though, seeming too stereotypical, and that constant banter at times becoming too repetitive and just too much. But that banter does remain funny, while on the other hand, some discussions and inner monologues touch on much deeper aspects, and the antagonist also makes excellent points, definitely worth supporting and acting on, in this world as well as in our own.
Between the thrilling battles, the great characters, the deeper aspects touched upon and the interesting world, I truly was excited while reading this, mostly noticing the reasons for complaint when I stopped to think about it. Could have done without that sort of intervention in the final battle though...

Rating: 4/5
Short story collection- Exhalation by Ted Chiang. If you like science fiction and topics about the human existence, check this book out. 5/5 stars

Some of the topics covered- alternate universes, AI intelligence, and time travel.
I finished Son of a Liche, which is the sequel to Orconomics (and book #3 to complete the trilogy is not out yet).

I'd dare to say it's even better than the first one. It continues great fantasy and economic humor, but it also tells a great story. Its genre-awareness is top-notch, and every chapter and sub-chapter segues into the next one perfectly, but not unnaturally [which is HARD]. If you like any of fantasy, humor, economics, or satire, you should definitely read these. Also, the threads of the various characters weave in and out great. I cheered audibly when two characters -- who had never met, despite both being important main characters to different parts of the stories, at all through books one nor two -- finally met, if only briefly.

(If you want a comparison, imagine Order of the Stick, but as a novel, and with some of the jokes being economically-sourced.)

I also am mostly-done with a short story by the same author (not related to the series) and it's also good.

OH, and I changed "in progress" to "dropped" for Team Human. I just couldn't go back to it. The author makes repeated fallacies, and tons of claims without citations, and very much is a "my way is the only way" rather than actually having a frank discussion of harmful-to-society technology.
Post edited September 09, 2019 by mqstout
Tiamat's Wrath: Book 8 of the Expanse (now a Prime Original series)
Just brilliant SF !
And now for some more catch-up on my recent readings:

La Passe-miroir - La fiancée de l'hiver - Christelle Dabos

It was the first time I've heard of that french author and it was recommended to me by a colleague at work. I'm glad she did! It's a very well written first part of a series.
The world has somwehat exploded and the earth has been shattered and divided in what you could call "islands" orbiting around the Earth's core, by gravity. Each of thoese islands has developed its own culture, under the rule of an "Ancestor", the founder of the island's population, who is still living now. People can also have powers, but these powers are categorized by the islands, meaning that on one island, you only have one type of power.
The heroin, Ophelie, is a "reader", which means that she can read objects and thus know about its past and the thoughts and personality of its owner(s). Plus, she can jump trough mirrors (hence the title) if they are not too far away. She has a quirky personality and is definitely not very good around people.
Suddenly, she is fianced, by the will of the Ancestor, to an important man of another island, far in the north, where their power is using the strenght of their minds to fight and inflight harm. She is not thrilled at all, but neither her fiance, it seems. Mystery ensues...
Very well written, if there is ever a translation in your own language, please give it a try! Definitely one of my best reads this year so far.

Les pieds de la dame aux clebs - Olivier Thiébaut

Another entry in the Le Poulpe series. Not bad, but nothing really to write home about... Again, some far-right extremists, some private school sexual abuse, the usual stuff...

Même pas mort - Jean-Philippe Jaworski
Now that's a revelation. It takes place in Gaul (France before and in the Roman era), but certainly not the real Gaul, since there seems to be magic and fantastic creatures, but everything in relation to celtic and gaul religions. It's the autobiography of an old king who ask a bard to transmit his story to the posterity. That was the first tome of the series and I'm already convinced it's a masterpiece!
Jean-Philippe Jaworski wasn't unknown to me, since he is/was active in the pen-and-paper RPG scene, with his Te Deum RPG (during the 16th century). But there, he shows his skill at telling a story with an intricate structure and "era-correct" words while never losing you in gibberish. Plus the story in itself is really interesting!
I hope there will be a translation in different languages !!

Chili incarné - Gérard Delteil
Another Le Poulpe, with a wordplay on the "Chili con carne", since Le Poulpe goes to South America. Interesting, but the auhtor tends to try to pass his political message a little too much...
Post edited September 12, 2019 by xa_chan
andysheets1975: Bethany's Sin by Robert McCammon.
Have you read Boy's Life? Great book IMHO
andysheets1975: Bethany's Sin by Robert McCammon.
kai2: Have you read Boy's Life? Great book IMHO
Yup. I like everything I've read by McCammon. He's very underrated. I need to catch up with his newer work, though.
Dark Matter by Blake Crouch.

What would happen if could access other other universes? Ultimately, Jason has to fight off versions of himself in Chicago. This thriller is a mix of time travel, survival, and asking What If.

Pacing is decent, but the ending was predictable.
gabbawokky: Tiamat's Wrath: Book 8 of the Expanse (now a Prime Original series)
Just brilliant SF !
Book 8 was released? I thought it will be released next year.