It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

They are putting out good games, yes, but at prices that are completely off the scale.
I would spent some money, but I just can't force myself to do it.

By the way, the mobile website is still very broken.
I run Firefox and DuckDuckGo... never had a big issue with the GOG site or store. Sure there have been some small issues, but nothing big... and I've certainly had many more issues with Steam. What I have found -- having contacted GOG on a few occasions -- is the site's functionality isn't always clear; the site's design "hides" some functionality from the casual browser. As for GOG's contacts... I've always gotten prompt replies and helpful information. Again, can't say the same for Steam. My only issue with GOG -- other than wishing they had the resources to expand the library (so many great games on that community wishlist) -- is pricing. Although sales can be good, full price on most of the older games is... well... kinda ridiculous. I certainly don't feel GOG should be giving the games away, but $20 and above for many of these older games is kinda "crazy"... and has certainly stopped me from trying many out.
OldOldGamer: They are putting out good games, yes, but at prices that are completely off the scale.
I would spent some money, but I just can't force myself to do it.

By the way, the mobile website is still very broken.
Yeah, let the whales buy them full price; Just wishlist the stuff you want and keep an eye out for them during sales!

There are some games that I'd pay more than list-price for as I want to support those devs, to the point where I'll actually wait for a sale to end before buying them, but a lot of stuff here that I've bought has been stuff I actually already own but no longer have access to (Like lots of the bargain bin LucasArts games I bought back in the day... damn you disc rot!!), and for those I will wait for them to go on discount..

BTW, what's the URL for the mobile site? I didn't even know there was one!
The web site automatically switches to a mobile layout if you set your browser user agent to a mobile browser name.

Yes, the prices for some games are really ridicilous for some publishers (like Deep Silver -- Darksiders 3 *cough* *cough*, some certain indies). I suspect the reason for it is to be able to slap "'75%' '80%' off" on their games and still be able to rake in so 10-25 Euro.
Post edited April 16, 2019 by coffeecup
high rated
Hi all, I’m here to give you some updates on what was happening on the design and performance side of GOG.COM the past few weeks.

Let me start with the performance improvements that were introduced. We know that especially during bigger sales, at least some of you were experiencing big slowdowns of the website, that made browsing through the offer, especially on the front page, very hard. Since the past few weeks, those issues should not happen for anyone as we’ve worked on making the site run faster and smoother no matter how many things are featured there.

Second, with all the feedback we've gathered from you, we’ve put some of the things on our roadmap straight away as they don’t require testing and we clearly see these are valid for everyone. For others, we’ve been doing A/B testing.
Some of you already might have seen it, but starting from today all of you can check the first result of one of such tests as we’ve changed a bit the game tiles on the front page and in the catalog. From now on the tiles are a bit bigger, include the game title visible up front and does not resize when hovering over them. Hope you like the change, as the majority of GOG users preferred that option.

When it comes to the next steps, we’re scheduling more A/B tests on different areas of the website to choose the best solutions for most of you. We appreciate your feedback and we’re taking it into account, and at the same time, we want to understand if the directions we’re taking, also thanks to you, are viable for the majority of GOG users.

Of course, whatever we’re changing and implementing, we will keep you updated!
That’s it for now, and looking forward to give you more updates soon.
elcook: Hi all, I’m here to give you some updates on what was happening on the design and performance side of GOG.COM the past few weeks.
That's very nice. Thank you for the update.

elcook: Some of you already might have seen it, but starting from today all of you can check the first result of one of such tests as we’ve changed a bit the game tiles on the front page and in the catalog. From now on the tiles are a bit bigger, include the game title visible up front and does not resize when hovering over them. Hope you like the change, as the majority of GOG users preferred that option.
That's a very nice change and extremely useful when you search for games with tons of DLCs (which often have the same cover than the base game. Well done!

elcook: ]We know that especially during bigger sales, at least some of you were experiencing big slowdowns of the website, that made browsing through the offer, especially on the front page, very hard. Since the past few weeks, those issues should not happen for anyone as we’ve worked on making the site run faster and smoother no matter how many things are featured there.
Talking about things that make it uncomfortable to browse the offers during (big) sales: Will you ever fix the bug that prevents users from seeing which games they already own?
Those useless Curated collections are still on the homepage, occupying a large space and provide very few information.
elcook: From now on the tiles are a bit bigger, include the game title visible up front and does not resize when hovering over them.
That's good, at least. Whoever thought not always displaying titles was a good idea is beyond me. Same for that enlarge on hover thing.
elcook: we’ve worked on making the site run faster and smoother no matter how many things are featured there.
Still seems slower than many sites for me. If I open up Vivaldi specifically for it, I mean, because normally I couldn't use any new part of the site at all, of course.
For me, it's all ok!
I'm not experiencing any problem with the new gog.
You can download your games using the classic gog downloader and play them through the classic desktop shortcut offline or via gog galaxy.....
elcook: When it comes to the next steps, we’re scheduling more A/B tests on different areas of the website to choose the best solutions for most of you. We appreciate your feedback and we’re taking it into account, and at the same time, we want to understand if the directions we’re taking, also thanks to you, are viable for the majority of GOG users.
Hi, elcook!

This sounds like an impossible ask, but what if there was an A/B test of whether users prefer the old site itself, or the new version? Is there a reason that was not up for choice of the users? Because from interactions on this forum as a user, it seems to me that the vast majority of users preferred the old site, and would very much welcome a reversion back to it. This would be difficult to gauge with brand new users, but many of us old-school minded folks have been relatively quietly dealing with the "new and improved" version for months now, and would still greatly prefer the old version. In other words, it feels like we have already been through a "test" yet our preference is not being considered to any meaningful degree.
elcook: Some of you already might have seen it, but starting from today all of you can check the first result of one of such tests as we’ve changed a bit the game tiles on the front page and in the catalog. From now on the tiles are a bit bigger, include the game title visible up front and does not resize when hovering over them. Hope you like the change, as the majority of GOG users preferred that option.
Thank you, this is a major improvment. I can actually browse the site without a script now. While this should have happened a lot sooner, good job none the less.

EDIT: Should the OS icons disappear when you hover? Would look better if it didn't. The entire hover could probably just be removed (ie just show the green cart button at all times).

elcook: When it comes to the next steps, we’re scheduling more A/B tests on different areas of the website to choose the best solutions for most of you. We appreciate your feedback and we’re taking it into account, and at the same time, we want to understand if the directions we’re taking, also thanks to you, are viable for the majority of GOG users.
A/B test is all well in good... but I would much perfer an actual way to opt-into these changes. Please please add a beta subdomain or account feature and allow us to compare and see both versions.
Cyker: re. the website, I've voiced similar sentiments before - It needs simplifying! The only browser it works properly in is my 'Evil Website' browser, i.e. Chrome, the browser I have sandboxed and only use for sites that won't work properly in any of my other browsers. Even in that it is very slow and gobbles up more resources than any other website aside from possibly YouTube and Twitch.
It should work on the latest version of FireFox. Also if you don't mind using a beta version... the new Edge browser is built on Chromium, which has been improved by MS so it will work great with pretty much all sites seeing as all sites are generally tested against Chrome.
Post edited April 23, 2019 by BKGaming
rjbuffchix: Hi, elcook!

This sounds like an impossible ask, but what if there was an A/B test of whether users prefer the old site itself, or the new version? Is there a reason that was not up for choice of the users? Because from interactions on this forum as a user, it seems to me that the vast majority of users preferred the old site, and would very much welcome a reversion back to it. This would be difficult to gauge with brand new users, but many of us old-school minded folks have been relatively quietly dealing with the "new and improved" version for months now, and would still greatly prefer the old version. In other words, it feels like we have already been through a "test" yet our preference is not being considered to any meaningful degree.
An interesting idea, and one that would be difficult to run and very confusing for a lot of users suddenly seeing a totally different version of GOG. One thing that I'm fairly sure to confirm is that we won't be rolling back to the old version of the website.
With A/B tests we want to see if changes or features we want to implement (not only fixes we're doing to current version) work for you or not. This way we want to avoid situations like in this thread.

BKGaming: EDIT: Should the OS icons disappear when you hover? Would look better if it didn't. The entire hover could proably just be removed (ie just show the green cart button at all times).
Noted.

BKGaming: A/B test is all well in good... but I would much perfer an actual way to opt-into these changes. Please please add a beta subdomain or account feature and allow us to compare and see both versions.
This is something we've been discussing internally, and I'm a big supporter. However, no decisions have been made in that direction yet, but thanks for mentioning it here.
elcook: Of course, whatever we’re changing and implementing, we will keep you updated!
That’s it for now, and looking forward to give you more updates soon.
Any word on when games we own but don't according to the store will fixed?

Also thanks for the hovering update that's better, though there are still videos that will autoplay on the store, when are they going to be actually removed?

Also I still feel that the design in general sucks if your on a big (ish) resolution as half of the page is still taken up with that massive banner up top. And there's loads of spaces still at the sides. Is there any chance for GOG actually doing a site design that is tailored to whatever device you are viewing it from as still on a deskop PC at 1920x1080 the design still sucks. Or are you just going to ignore those of us on a bigger screen like you normally do?

Edit: Also is Curated collections going to ever be removed (as I feel its a massive waste of space), and news brought up to the top?
Post edited April 23, 2019 by Pond86
Anyway to change the way giveaways are handled on the main page elcook?
Since it doesn't become clickable with anykind of browsers i was using on this old pc, before i just used opera 36 i believe.
Could it be possible that when a giveaway of a free game happens that we could simply redeem the free game from the game page for those 48 hours a giveaway works?
And then it should just return to normal.
Edit: my most used browser is firefox esr 52.9.0
Post edited April 23, 2019 by Fonzer
Yea I don't want to over state this change, it is a big improvment, however, it does not solve the all the problems with this new desgin. It still needs a lot of work and it should not have taken this long to make this simple change.

The biggest problems are still there:

- News section needs re-worked, needs to be more noticable at the top. Probably needs it's dedicated section, possibly in an improved blog type format. ie gog.com/news
- Currated Collections are still useless and make no sense without an re-worked GOGmix system.
- Top banner on store pages are still to big and the video button is redundant.
- Some places still have auto-playing videos which eat data.
- The site still feels overall sluggish / slow to load and the less noticeable hover effect (that should be removed) increases the performance issues on the home page.
- Parts of the site are still using the old design which makes the entire design inconsistent.
- and lots of TLC is needed in certain areas.
Post edited April 23, 2019 by BKGaming