It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
high rated
For me personally, as a European, there were 2 reasons for me to endorse and support GoG. DRM free and regional pricing. For GOG to suddenly renege on one of their core (marketed) principles is a spit in the face for me as a supporter and a consumer. GOG was the last bastion of intelligence and integrity in the online PC marketplace.

To sell a purely digital product at different prices on the internet where there are no regions is ridiculous. Ridiculous, insidious and purely for reasons of greed.

I beg you to reconsider and not to compromise your core principles for reasons of greed.
Because, lets face it - it's not about taking some moral stand is it? - It's all about the money.
You just made that perfectly clear with this announcement.
RS1978: "Why should I care about the rubbish I talked yesterday?" :p
TheEnigmaticT: 2011 is hardly yesterday, but you are correct; this is pretty much in direct contravention for what he said back then. Look for my longer answer up above for why we decided to change.
Hey Mr. T, I've read your longer contribution and I can widely follow your considerations. But please get me right: If we're only talking about the regional pricing problem - I'm sure we will settle this. My main problems are censorhip and similar regional restrictions. If you can find a solution for this matter, I'm absolutely sure GOG and I will find a way out of this little "crisis". I want to play games, I want to pay for games, and I want them DRM-free and in the majority of cases with German language support, so I'm willing to make concessions.
Post edited February 21, 2014 by RS1978
Goodnews, you're going to pay more!! :D

(T_T) Sigh.. I hope that this will be limited to only very few games..

p.s: too many pages to read everything..

EDIT:
TheEnigmaticT: [..]how can we advance the DRM-Free Revolution? The best way we could think of to do that is to bring AAA games that are being released on their launch day to GOG.com, and to show that these games will sell well without DRM. That they won't be pirated any more than a game will because it's the Internet.

[..]So many new games are tied up in legal requirements thanks to retail partnerships that mandate regional pricing that anything almost every quality new release would be inaccessible to us.

We hope that this is the right move for us. We hope that you guys, the people who've brought us to where we are, will agree with this choice once you get the chance to see it in action. Time will tell, and we'll be listening to as we go. This is new territory for both you and us, and we're looking forward to exploring it together.
this was a good explanation, however.
Post edited February 21, 2014 by phaolo
Thanks for responding TET. I understand what you guys are trying to do and appreciate it, even if some users are going to spit in your face now...
TheEnigmaticT: <My question and TET's response>
I appreciate your response, and it does go some way to answering many questions here. I was hoping you'd address some of the "inner" questions there, the bits with question marks after them. I know that right now you're fighting the PR war and it would be silly to fan flames, but perhaps later you will address the questions I asked?
Post edited February 21, 2014 by wpegg
rmuchall: For me personally, as a European, there were 2 reasons for me to endorse and support GoG. DRM free and regional pricing. For GOG to suddenly renege on one of their core (marketed) principles is a spit in the face for me as a supporter and a consumer. GOG was the last bastion of intelligence and integrity in the online PC marketplace.

To sell a purely digital product at different prices on the internet where there are no regions is ridiculous. Ridiculous, insidious and purely for reasons of greed.

I beg you to reconsider and not to compromise your core principles for reasons of greed.
Because, lets face it - it's not about taking some moral stand is it? - It's all about the money.
And people whinging about not being able to get cheap games isn't about the money?
scampywiak: First off, sometimes the goodies are more than that, like dev interviews, mod support, sound files, and a damn good record at supporting the games with patches long after they hit the site. Secondly, the most important thing, DRM free gaming, is still adhered to. If they have to finagle to get major publishers or indie devs on board with DRM free, then so be it. They proven to be pretty clever at compensating for the times their principles were supposedly at stake.
wpegg: So we are in agreement. All GOG have left is "Goodies" and DRM free (supporting a game you sold is, I'm afraid, actually par for the course, and actually was never one of their core goals, support used to be shit).
I guess we do agree, and I feel GoG is better for it. As for patching, no, other sites do not regularly patch new or updated content into games that are years old. Whether it's a core principle or not, it sure as hell sets GoG apart.
You know... bring on Dark Souls 2 and I'll forgive you. >_>
makr3la: Important question to TheEnigmaticT:
Will you change your Privacy Policy now?
This is really an interesting question, would love to hear the answer on that one!

And still, there´s another non-answered question left: Why don´t you just raise prices for everybody on this planet instead of dividing the world again? I just don´t get the point why we shouldn´t accept higher prices---ATM you are so incredibly cheap that this would possible with ease!
Oh, and please fill the gap at this "What is GOG"-line! It feels so disappointing!
Attachments:
high rated
rmuchall: For me personally, as a European, there were 2 reasons for me to endorse and support GoG. DRM free and regional pricing. For GOG to suddenly renege on one of their core (marketed) principles is a spit in the face for me as a supporter and a consumer. GOG was the last bastion of intelligence and integrity in the online PC marketplace.

DAlancole: And people whinging about not being able to get cheap games isn't about the money?
This isn't at all about wanting to get cheap games. It's about the desire to have an open and fair marketplace for digital products.

Here is a good example of the absolute farce that is regional pricing:
http://www.steamprices.com/eu/app/2280/ultimate-doom

Ultimate Doom
Buy it from the USA and it costs $4.99 USD (€3.63 EURO)
Buy it from Germany and it costs $13.72 USD (€9.99 EURO)

That's a 64 percent markup on a purely digital item simply because your IP address is different.

This is simply because publishers are greedy and in order to sell new titles GOG are abandoning one of their founding (core?) principles and caving to outside pressure.
high rated
GoG, are you looking into the abyss ?

There are some serious mixed signals here. I'd like to support you (and the DaRhMa-free iniative) by buying those AAA games but I don't want publishers to believe I don't mind regional pricing. You put me at loss here.

The growth of this thread is telling much.
high rated
trusteft: So you honestly believe publishers who can ask for more money from European (and others) customers will refrain to do so and just let some publishers do that? Why would they do that? Why would (random examples) EA says no to extra free money from us when Ubi says yes? On the same store.
They would have to be stupid.

Taking away things one at a time is what goes on. Or do you (anyone) think that when GOG changed their name and planned to bring new titles and indy titles they didn't know that after a while there would be regional prices?

Just wait for another year when Steam, which has already more aggressively started to bring old titles (most recent was Descent 2 IIRC) has a few 100s more old titles. Then GOG which will eventually drop the DRM free because the publishers will tell GOG, "take it or leave it" If you don't put DRM with our old titles, we will just put them on Steam alone" and GOG will come out with another PR BS of how it is great news to announce some form of DRM because it's deep down for the good of the customers or it will save whales from Japanese or some other PR talk.

I voted yes to bring new titles here but I just didn't think about the consequences. Some people did back then back they were dismissed as crazy by the community.
The Greater Good

Had to post it ;-P
Another small step backwards.
DAlancole: And people whinging about not being able to get cheap games isn't about the money?
rmuchall: This isn't at all about wanting to get cheap games. It's about the desire to have an open and fair marketplace for digital products.

Here is a good example of the absolute farce that is regional pricing:
http://www.steamprices.com/eu/app/2280/ultimate-doom

Ultimate Doom
Buy it from the USA and it costs $4.99 USD (€3.63 EURO)
Buy it from Germany and it costs $13.72 USD (€9.99 EURO)

That's a 64 percent markup on a purely digital item simply because your IP address is different.

This is simply because publishers are greedy and in order to sell new titles GOG are abandoning one of their founding (core?) principles and caving to outside pressure.
Sorry, I just read a few comments about GOG games being cheap etc. etc. that it got to me.

We both know the reason that they, the publishers, get away with things like this because people continue to buy it.
Nergal01: I know. But I'd like to continue believing that regional pricing doesn't necessarily mean regional restrictions being introduced to the store. Yet.
RS1978: Let's hope so... :)
I just hope they dont Geoip us like what happened in the latter part of the Witcher 2 release week.