It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
I also think that one of the big 3 is The Witcher 3. When the news was announced who the publisher was going to be for The Witcher 3, some of us over at the Witcher forums held our breath. The same company who forced the regional pricing on TW2 and they signed up with them again. So I bet they are forcing them to do regional pricing again on GOG. This way the people over at GOG were like: Shit, not again. Well we can't change this again and it will cost us a lot fighting over it knowing we'll lose, we have no choice. Well since we crossed the line again, we might as well get other big titles aboard... and so it has happened.
Ekaros: For some of us the DRM is smaller evil of the two.

The other one forces me to install third party software and the other one cost me significantly more, currently I take the savings...
Senteria: I stand with you. If I have to choose between filling in some key in order to use the game I downloaded, I'd be totally fine with it actually. I cared way more about flat pricing.
Up until now, GOG.com offered DRM-free games at a flat price, and there was no need to choose "the lesser evil".
Ekaros: For some of us the DRM is smaller evil of the two.

The other one forces me to install third party software and the other one cost me significantly more, currently I take the savings...
DRM is crapware that limits your ability to use the software you bought (including giving the publisher/distributor the ability to revoke your ability to use said software), possibly - but not necessarily - requiring use of a third party client, adding another point of failure to cause you problems in future and effectively turning your purchase into a long-term, fixed-price rental. I prefer the full, unrestricted purchase to be honest...

Anyway if these games weren't releasing here with regional pricing, they would still have regional pricing. They just wouldn't be released DRM-free.
Senteria: I stand with you. If I have to choose between filling in some key in order to use the game I downloaded, I'd be totally fine with it actually. I cared way more about flat pricing.
Ichwillnichtmehr: Up until now, GOG.com offered DRM-free games at a flat price, and there was no need to choose "the lesser evil".
I know, and that's what upsets most of us here.
Ichwillnichtmehr: Up until now, GOG.com offered DRM-free games at a flat price, and there was no need to choose "the lesser evil".
Senteria: I know, and that's what upsets most of us here.
Agreed.
Pseudospawn: p.s. in the age of digital distribution, regional pricing is one of the few solid enticements/justifications for piracy.
Chacranajxy: Yes. "I don't like the price, so it's okay to steal it."

That works well.
....it has more to do with the fact that we're being asked to pay more money for the same data than American gamers.

If was getting something functionally different, something that had to be altered or developed specifically for the UK/European market, then OK we should pay for that cost.

But as it stands with regional pricing on digitally distributed games, we're being asked to pay more for nothing. And that's wrong.
Post edited February 23, 2014 by Pseudospawn
takethepain: The slippery slope argument is not necessarily a fallacy.

I do agree that GOG abandoning DRM-Free would be incredibly stupid however.
groze: Slippery slope is actually a full fledged logical argument, you're absolutely right. But the way people keep using it here is, in fact, its fallacious form.

Two examples for you to peruse at your leisure:

http://www.logicalfallacies.info/presumption/slippery-slope/

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope
The argument used here is practically the definition of a slippery slope fallacy, isn't it?

Even if it's not considered fallacious, it's usefulness in an argument seems pretty narrow, because you're basically arguing over predicting future events. It may be useful if you were arguing over something like recurring weather patterns or some such. Agree, disagree?
And GOG still are offering DRM-free games at a flat price. Only now they'll also be offering some new DRM-free games with regional pricing. Games that otherwise would have only been sold with elsewhere with both DRM and regional pricing.
Post edited February 23, 2014 by adamhm
Real question in my mind is the old titles. And what happens when contracts relating to them come up to negotiations again? Will the publishers try to force their way in to have regional pricing on them too and if so will GoG have strength to say no at that point?
groze: Slippery slope is actually a full fledged logical argument, you're absolutely right. But the way people keep using it here is, in fact, its fallacious form.

JohnnyDollar: The argument used here is practically the definition of a slippery slope fallacy, isn't it?

Even if it's not considered fallacious, it's usefulness in an argument seems pretty narrow, because you're basically arguing over predicting future events. It may be useful if you were arguing over something like recurring weather patterns or some such. Agree, disagree?
Absolutely agreed, that's what I was trying to say. It can, in very rare occasions, be used as a logic argument, but it's pretty much a fallacy every other time. The way it has been used in this thread, so far, has always been the fallacious version of it.
Chacranajxy: Yes. "I don't like the price, so it's okay to steal it."

That works well.
Pseudospawn: ....it has more to do with the fact that we're being asked to pay more money for the same data than American gamers.

If was getting something functionally different, something that had to be altered or developed specifically for the UK/European market, then OK we should pay for that cost.

But as it stands with regional pricing on digitally distributed games, we're being asked to pay more for nothing. And that's wrong.
Actually UK pricing is fair - the domestic purchasing power of the pound is roughly the same as the dollar so charging UK residents in pounds what a US resident would pay in dollars is fair, the exchange rate =/= purchasing power. That's what regional pricing is supposed to take into account.

The reason regional pricing is unfair is that a lot of regions get prices inflated way above purchasing power like Eastern/Southern Europe and AU & NZ. The former get shafted because they get lumped in with major market Euro countries like France and Germany, etc ... which again spend Euros synonymously with how Americans spend dollars, but that is very much not the case in poorer Euro countries where 60 euros is a very different percentage of the median income. AU and NZ generally get shafted because physical prices are so high and publishers don't want digital prices to be so much lower than physical ones, so they get inflated digital prices.
takethepain: The slippery slope argument is not necessarily a fallacy.

I do agree that GOG abandoning DRM-Free would be incredibly stupid however.

Slippery slope as a fallacy requires the end result to be logically and factually far-fetched. GOG abandoning a core value for X amount of projected money is now a reality that is actually happening. What's far-fetched about GOG doing it again, just for a little bit and surely for a good reason?

Like I said before, it's a fallacy in itself to assume any speculation to be a slippery slope fallacy.

I do agree that instead of worrying about a hypothetical future, more people should take the current change of policy just as seriously as any future implications it potentially has.
adamhm: And GOG still are offering DRM-free games at a flat price. Only now they'll also be offering some new DRM-free games with regional pricing. Games that otherwise would have only been sold with elsewhere with both DRM and regional pricing.
We will never know if the games would only be sold with both DRM and regional pricing.

If GOG.com had stood by the core-values, that may have changed.
adamhm: And GOG still are offering DRM-free games at a flat price. Only now they'll also be offering some new DRM-free games with regional pricing. Games that otherwise would have only been sold with elsewhere with both DRM and regional pricing.
You could yell that over a loud speaker over and over all night long and it wouldn't do any good. The existence of "REGIONAL PRICING" in any way, shape, or form, is what everyone is hung up on right now. :/
Post edited February 23, 2014 by JohnnyDollar
Lodium: The thing is, they migth include regional restriction
and since regional restriction is some kind of DRM then the road isnt long to regional lockout
and since they have both those why not just include a online client that checks if you have bougth it in the correct region
and suddenly the circle is complete and we migth as well abolish no-drm
Chacranajxy: Slippery slope fallacy.
True, but you make it sound like GOG doesn't have a history of selling out. If the publishers can force this, then why can't they force that?