It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
MaceyNeil: What is more reprehensible having a rip off deal, or retracting others right to choose in a free market.
I don't have to deal with rip off deals, i can ignore them.
People like you I have to constantly do battle with to protect my consumer rights to choose.
Coming from someone who lives in the U.S., who neither has to deal with rip-off deals like regional pricing, nor has to ignore them, because he can get his games with a Dollar-sign behind the price. When you come from Germany (or any other european country) things might look a tiny bit different. You know, when your new AAA games still has the "60" on the price tag, but suddenly there is an "€" behind the number, making your game more then 30% more expensive...
Selderij: The old "it's just business" argument that doesn't change anything about why a business practice is considered wrong. Indeed, regional prices are done exactly because publishers and distributors feel they can get away with it. They know perfectly well that it's wrong toward their customers, that's why they're not upfront about it and try to put a spin like "good news" on it if it has to be mentioned. Valve and its publishers would never host a site like steamprices.com (much less mention the price differences on the game pages) because they're ashamed of the truth.
MaceyNeil: No they'd never host a site like that because the publishers would get ansy about it and demand they not do it.
I'm not saying the business practice IS right, sure with a choice between having it or not everyone would prefer not; but THIS is the deal on table. GOG didn't put regional pricing on the table the publisher did and guess what at the end of the day regardless of which way GOG.com chooses to go the choice is STILL yours. buy or not (because it'll still be available elsewhere).
The only difference here is, is that people who will try not to allow the deal to go through aim at NOT allowing others the same freedom YOU HAVE in that choice, because the people who DO NOT retain the same choice that you will continue to have are here for DRM-Free games.
What is more reprehensible having a rip off deal, or retracting others right to choose in a free market.
People like you I have to constantly do battle with to protect my consumer rights to choose.
Oh please. You'll be able to buy any regionally priced game that'll come to GOG from Steam or wherever at the same price and with automatic updates as an added bonus (which is a massive convenience for new releases). The rest of us will now have no distributor where we can be sure that we're not getting screwed over. But I suppose you wouldn't exactly count that among any rights that you know of.
low rated
What i'd like to point out is $5.99 for old abandonware games.
Is it a rip-off?
You can get these titles for free from web based depositories.
Why should one customer a little more savvy in getting things running get the product for free and others who choose GOG.com pay this infinite% increased price.
*shock horror, what a rip-off

But is it?

To do with regional pricing:-
-You could go to a different region and get the same price with regional pricing.
You won't, but you could.
-They're asking you personally to pay more money
You don't have to, but if you want to be their customer 'you will'.
-You can choose not to pay what they want for their product
You won't have the legal right to use 'THEIR' product, but we all know that you can find ways TO use their product

Yes it may be a rip off like any deal that may be offered to you throughout your life by anybody; that still doesn't mean you have to take it, nor should you be trying to impinge upon the similar rights of everyone else to make that choice for themselves.

The only REAL RIP-OFF will be people like you taking away the same right to choose that you recieved, from others; because at the end of the day the deal is only ever a rip-off if you choose to take it.
Until proven otherwise, the regional pricing "Good news" reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztp0vHSSVqM

Cigarette Juice!
groze: I agree with most of what you said, but unfortunately there's no arguing with these people, they are hellbent on making this seem like an ethical quest for principles and values, and apparently they don't care about DRM-free anymore, as if all that GOG meant to them, all this time, was worldwide flat pricing. DRM-free?! Nah, never heard of it, that's not even the main reason for more than 70% (conservatively) of GOG customers buying their games here.
True enough. I suspect, however, that the whiners are a very small portion of GOG's userbase. Given the choice between DRM-Free or worldwide flat pricing (which is seems most non-AAAs will still have), I have my suspicions that most GOG users would go DRM-Free.

I find it absoulely depressing that people are going off on a tizzy when the main thing GOG's been about is showing publishers big and small that DRM-Free does indeed work. That we're even IN this position shows me that enough of the big guys are coming around. Not even six months ago, the though of big-budget titles coming here anywhere near their Steam release was unheard of. However, they're not going to effectively give GOG a price advantage versus their other partners, and why should they? You wanna complain to someone, complain to the publishers: they're the ones setting prices, not GOG.

And you ask me, GOG's been absolutely amazing with regards to customer service. I remember when I still used Steam and tried to refund a game that wouldn't work on my system. That was such a chore.

I'm sad that you got down-voted, and I'm certainly expecting for this post to be down-voted, but if this gets us more games, what's to complain about?

I guess it's easy to complain about "principles" when you're on a forum.
Selderij: Oh please. You'll be able to buy any regionally priced game that'll come to GOG from Steam or wherever at the same price and with automatic updates as an added bonus (which is a massive convenience for new releases). The rest of us will now have no distributor where we can be sure that we're not getting screwed over. But I suppose you wouldn't exactly count that among any rights that you know of.
Yes, such regionally priced games will be available elsewhere... but with DRM. So while you might get screwed with regional pricing, that will be the case only if you elect to buy something without checking first (and even then at least it won't be locked down with DRM). However if we are forced to buy games elsewhere that could otherwise have been released here DRM-free then we will be getting screwed with both regional pricing and DRM.

I'd rather that GOG focuses on DRM-free and makes significant progress with that (and then shift focus to pricing when the time is appropriate), than for them to keep their efforts on both DRM-free and worldwide pricing and fail to make any further appreciable progress with either.
Post edited February 23, 2014 by adamhm
high rated
RawSteelUT: I find it absoulely depressing that people are going off on a tizzy when the main thing GOG's been about is showing publishers big and small that DRM-Free does indeed work.
Yes how terrible of people to get upset that GOG is compromising a core principle under the guise of 'good news'. GOG has been more about DRM free in the past and there are multiple videos and images that THEY THEMSELVES have posted explaining this.

Still, being in America this news will most likely not affect you at all so congrats :)
high rated
MaceyNeil: What i'd like to point out is $5.99 for old abandonware games.
Is it a rip-off?
You can get these titles for free from web based depositories.
Why should one customer a little more savvy in getting things running get the product for free and others who choose GOG.com pay this infinite% increased price.
*shock horror, what a rip-off

But is it?

To do with regional pricing:-
-You could go to a different region and get the same price with regional pricing.
You won't, but you could.
-They're asking you personally to pay more money
You don't have to, but if you want to be their customer 'you will'.
-You can choose not to pay what they want for their product
You won't have the legal right to use 'THEIR' product, but we all know that you can find ways TO use their product

Yes it may be a rip off like any deal that may be offered to you throughout your life by anybody; that still doesn't mean you have to take it, nor should you be trying to impinge upon the similar rights of everyone else to make that choice for themselves.

The only REAL RIP-OFF will be people like you taking away the same right to choose that you recieved, from others; because at the end of the day the deal is only ever a rip-off if you choose to take it.
Yes, I kind of figured that you were a proponent of the "buyer beware" philosophy which is also a founding principle of the Chinese food industry that no doubt evokes trust and ease in you as a potential consumer.

Seriously though, I don't think anyone was ignorant of the economic mechanisms surrounding the distributors' and publishers' behavior. The whole point of this commotion is that the end result is perceived as wrong toward the consumers with the frustrating binary choice of buying or not buying being the only one we can make. It's clear that GOG knows it's wrong and that it's ready to shaft us regardless, and that doesn't feel very nice coming from a distributor that based its whole image on treating customers with respect.
MaceyNeil: No they'd never host a site like that because the publishers would get ansy about it and demand they not do it.
I'm not saying the business practice IS right, sure with a choice between having it or not everyone would prefer not; but THIS is the deal on table. GOG didn't put regional pricing on the table the publisher did and guess what at the end of the day regardless of which way GOG.com chooses to go the choice is STILL yours. buy or not (because it'll still be available elsewhere).
The only difference here is, is that people who will try not to allow the deal to go through aim at NOT allowing others the same freedom YOU HAVE in that choice, because the people who DO NOT retain the same choice that you will continue to have are here for DRM-Free games.

What is more reprehensible having a rip off deal, or retracting others right to choose in a free market.
groze: I agree with most of what you said, but unfortunately there's no arguing with these people, they are hellbent on making this seem like an ethical quest for principles and values, and apparently they don't care about DRM-free anymore, as if all that GOG meant to them, all this time, was worldwide flat pricing. DRM-free?! Nah, never heard of it, that's not even the main reason for more than 70% (conservatively) of GOG customers buying their games here.
Both of you make valid points.
Though i think some the reason why people rage so much
is earlier experiences with other services and also there is really no choice in the matter.
Regional pricing is the standard cross the board so if you chose not to buy because of it, you migth as well stop buying games alltogether.
Sure, GoG can promise all they want but it doesnt change the fact that if one thing gets crossed how easy is it to go back on other more important issues if regional prices are ok.

Il take a wait and see aproach but considering what have happened with other online game stores this doesnt look so great.
Im very sceptical that this will lead to positive results for evry consumer.
If GoG can prove otherwise though il be extremly suprised.
Post edited February 23, 2014 by Lodium
RawSteelUT: True enough. I suspect, however, that the whiners are a very small portion of GOG's userbase. Given the choice between DRM-Free or worldwide flat pricing (which is seems most non-AAAs will still have), I have my suspicions that most GOG users would go DRM-Free.

I find it absoulely depressing that people are going off on a tizzy when the main thing GOG's been about is showing publishers big and small that DRM-Free does indeed work. That we're even IN this position shows me that enough of the big guys are coming around. Not even six months ago, the though of big-budget titles coming here anywhere near their Steam release was unheard of. However, they're not going to effectively give GOG a price advantage versus their other partners, and why should they? You wanna complain to someone, complain to the publishers: they're the ones setting prices, not GOG.

And you ask me, GOG's been absolutely amazing with regards to customer service. I remember when I still used Steam and tried to refund a game that wouldn't work on my system. That was such a chore.

I'm sad that you got down-voted, and I'm certainly expecting for this post to be down-voted, but if this gets us more games, what's to complain about?
Pretty much. I'm far more concerned with the quality of the end product I'm getting. If I buy a game from GOG, that's an initial outlay that I'll quickly forget about. Past those first few days, who cares? But having a game without DRM is a longer-term thing. I don't have to be bothered by needless bullshit or have the game simply stop working because the publisher shuts down the servers. That's the real value. That's more important, to me at least, than potentially higher prices on games that, for the most part, have low price points anyway. Obviously, that's not the case for everyone, but it's hard to look at pricing as anything more than a short term issue when buying a game. And it's not like this will suddenly price GOG above Steam and the other stores out there, either, so the talk of "I'm not buying any more games on GOG" strikes me as shortsighted and ridiculous.

In any case, I just hope that GOG comes out of the gate with some real heavy hitters, just so people understand from the get-go that the decision was a good one.
low rated
RawSteelUT: True enough. I suspect, however, that the whiners are a very small portion of GOG's userbase. Given the choice between DRM-Free or worldwide flat pricing (which is seems most non-AAAs will still have), I have my suspicions that most GOG users would go DRM-Free.

I guess it's easy to complain about "principles" when you're on a forum.
Let them keep downvoting me, I knew it was bound to happen. Usually people like these talk a lot of talk but have no respect whatsoever for different opinions. As far as I'm concerned, my conscience is clear, I never downvote anyone's post, they're all entitled to their opinion, as much as I disagree with it. But they're the ones talking about respect, principles and core values.
It's a slippery slope... Once it starts there is no saying where it ends... First it's one publisher then the others see money and want same service. Next they consider that DRM might be nice to have. They have their own services and getting more customers there is always a good thing. And then gog is just an other online retailer with decent back catalog...

Not that there won't still be some new products with fair pricing and no-drm, but likely those will be few in future.
Selderij: It's clear that GOG knows it's wrong and that it's ready to shaft us regardless, and that doesn't feel very nice coming from a distributor that based its whole image on treating customers with respect.
Or... GOG knows that it's wrong and they don't like it, but they feel they have such a big opportunity here to further promote DRM-free releases and change the industry's attitude to DRM that it's for the best overall to tolerate regional pricing.
high rated
Another thing. The reason why a lot of people are on GOG is actually because of world wide equal pricing. (many have other reasons too but still quite a lot place flat pricing on #1) The reason why many people are here is because GOG has/had a different way of selling games. It was this approach that GOG as big as it is today. People believed in their core values and they were even proud of what GOG stood for. They recommended GOG to friends and family. I know I certainly did. We, the customer gave GOG the oppertunity to become this big and now they're turning our backs on us. That is how quite a few people feel about this here. The fact regional pricing is advertised as something positive just adds insult to injury. Many feel betrayed.

Yes other companies are doing it as well, and DRM had become the market standard, but you went to fight against it. It made you special and look how many people believed in this strategy. Purely based on the way you treat your customers, your core policies and even fighting in court for it.

We believed in you GOG. I think if you apologise and say you made a mistake but the deals for the 3 games are already made but they will be the exception, I think you will win a lot of respect back from all of us. I hope you realise how hundreds and hundreds of us here feel. Maybe even thousands.
This does make me wonder what percentage of GOG customers are in the US. Generally speaking this move will not impact US sales, as their price is the benchmark anyway, and it doesn't appear that many US posters here would leave purely because other countries lose.

So you get the publishers/games in, but you annoy many non-US customers. For many games sellers this is acceptable, as the US is a huge chunk of their market, but I wonder how true this is for GOG. The forum at least seems to be very global.

Personally I don't avoid sites that have region pricing (hard to do so anyway), but I make a point of never buying a product that has an Australian price higher than US price.

The worst possible outcome is that GOG mysteriously finds many users 'moving' to the US and their statistics will show strong US sales, which further sends the message not to care about anywhere else.