It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
Lodium: I think its because Gamers doesnt pressure their politicians much.
Look at Steam. Its just recently they had to go to court because of the no used games sell policy they had
and they (Steam) had been selling games to europeans many years before that.
Kyanti4869: Gamers vote EA as the worst company in USA. Two months later, they buy the hell out of their games.... lol
You know... sometimes I feel like I want to call it quits.
Remember the Modern Warfare boycott? It's always the same. ;)
Attachments:
Post edited February 23, 2014 by RS1978
Lodium: I think its because Gamers doesnt pressure their politicians much.
Look at Steam. Its just recently they had to go to court because of the no used games sell policy they had
and they (Steam) had been selling games to europeans many years before that.
Kyanti4869: Gamers vote EA as the worst company in USA. Two months later, they buy the hell out of their games.... lol
Ah yea.
Maybe we just deserve what,s coming to us.
Im seeing more and more people willing to give up consumer rigths in my own contry just to be able to play some game from Steam just because Steam is so big and popular that they never coud do anything wrong.
Really is mindboggling.
Post edited February 23, 2014 by Lodium
Lodium: Ah yea.
Maybe we just deserve what coming to us.
Im seeing more and more people willing to give up consumer rigths in my own contry just to be able to play some game from Steam just because Steam is so big and popular that they never coud do anything wrong.
Really is mindboggling.
RS1978: Remember the Modern Warfare boycot? It's always the same. ;)
I know man... I know =(
As I said before, time pack the tents and leave this here site.
Post edited February 23, 2014 by Kyanti4869
Crazy_Borg: So, instead of paying 9,99$ we europeans are about to pay 13,99$.
Man, that really sounds fair for all of us, doesn't it?
If you had to add 20-sth % of VAT tax on top of the price of a product when you sell stuff in Europe, would you cover that from your own pocket? Why would a developer or publisher sacrifice part of his income, because your or mine government taxes all products?
Post edited February 23, 2014 by d2t
So many state their hatred for EA, yet I see "Battlefield" mentioned everywhere I go, it seems. Whether it be on forums or hardware reviews at an online retailer. Due to its success, evidently there must be plenty of gamers out there that don't hate them enough to not buy their games, and they pay premium release day prices for them too.

Same thing goes for micro DLC. A lot hate the concept, or so it seems, but they must be selling ok because they continue to do it. With some of these games the publishers have released a ridiculous amount of micro DLC.
JohnnyDollar: So many state their hatred for EA, yet I see "Battlefield" mentioned everywhere I go, it seems. Whether it be on forums or hardware reviews at an online retailer. Due to its success, evidently there must be plenty of gamers out there that don't hate them enough to not buy their games, and they pay premium release day prices for them too.

Same thing goes for micro DLC. A lot hate the concept, or so it seems, but they must be selling ok because they continue to do it. With some of these games the publishers have released a ridiculous amount of micro DLC.
Issue is, most those who complain are the core gamers. Those who go back on their words, are the same core gamers who complained weeks ago. The circle will never be broken.
And we... we the ones who stand by principle, we bite the dust... ashes to ashes.
Whoa, 109 pages of outrage generated in 2 days. Gog really stepped on a hornets nest here 0.o
Selderij: The reason why uniform pricing was a selling point was exactly because it made games cheaper than normal for non-Americans, meaning that GOG was often a better option than Steam in a very tangible way instead of relying on goodwill support through sacrifice on the consumer's part. Take that away and Steam's deeper and broader discounts win hands down: GOG usually stops at -75% for a select few titles at a time, often forcibly bundled with throwaway games that nobody actually wants.
Well, I love the idea behind fair prices, but I will never use steam as long as there is DRM-free alternative. I have too many problems with Steam that I rather buy games that I already 'own' there here.

JohnnyDollar: I thought Origin was your primary store anyway. :P
keeveek: Nope, too few games to choose from there. But Origin does regional pricing sorta right, because Polish prices are usually much lower than German ones, for example.

Polish peeps are earning like 4 times less on average than German folks, so that sounds fair.
Yeah, sorta, because my income is not average of Germany, yet I have the same prices. However sometimes (not sure about Origin) I am screwed even more, because game simply is not available on Steam in my region... I really appreciated that gog treated me like a person who is willing to buy a game instead of pirating it. I hoope it will not change but I am not sure about that.

Thunderstone: Whoa, 109 pages of outrage generated in 2 days. Gog really stepped on a hornets nest here 0.o
Well, it probably is that they sacrificed one of their main principles and announced it as "good news". I want AAA games without DRM on day one, but regional pricing was quite important prinicple as well...

PS: I am quite afraid that regional pricing will hurt community. We will no longer be gamers, we will be gamers who are ripped off more and gamers who are being favored... if there will not be region locks it might strenghten the community and we may see a lot of sales in favored countries and gifting and minimal sales in ripped off regions.
Post edited February 23, 2014 by NetAndy
Lodium: Ah yea.
Maybe we just deserve what coming to us.
Really is mindboggling.
Kyanti4869:
RS1978: Remember the Modern Warfare boycot? It's always the same. ;)
Kyanti4869: I know man... I know =(
were woud we going though.
Steam?
Origin? Shudders!!!
U-play?
GMG?
D2D?
Humble Bundle?

Probably dozens more ive forgotten about.
Thunderstone: Whoa, 109 pages of outrage generated in 2 days. Gog really stepped on a hornets nest here 0.o
Because it hurts and burns. To see them doing that. It hurts and burns more, to see my fellow gamers paying double or triple the price.
JohnnyDollar: They're still using flat pricing except for new launches, though. I'm not going to get into slippery slope predictions. That's what we have right now in the present.

Folks aren't taking take into account the worth of DRM-free with customers either.

Announcing that they were bringing newer games here and officially dropping "Good old Games" was suppose to spell their demise, because that what was a major selling point that separated them from the other digital distributors according to a lot of members here back at the time. It hasn't happened.
That's a gross misinterpretation of our stance on that. And GOG is definitely not what it once was. Yes, there are more people here and more games, but GOG is no longer particularly special and it's really hard to have any brand loyalty.

Dropping GOG was an incredibly stupid thing to do, regardless of outcome. They spent years building up their brand and then chucked it on a risky maneuver to get a larger section of the market after repeatedly claiming otherwise.

I for one have greatly reduced the number of games I buy here as a result. No Linux support even on games that have it, and generally insulting marketing practices don't exactly make me want to buy things here. And with regional pricing, I might as well buy from somebody else.
Professor_Cake: The point I was trying to make was that, to me, GOG represented more than a simple DDR for people like myself because of its principles, but its recent turn of face has eliminated that status and is now just any other supplier of games and thus expected to compete on that level.
JohnnyDollar: Right, which has the implication, whether deliberate or not, that GOG will suffer from the decision that they've made. Or at least that's how I'm interpreting it, perhaps because I've seen it stated so much. I'm questioning that implication, is all, not your decision, priorities, or circumstances that you're in.
I'm not sure where that implication can arise from when I stated the sentence before 'If (GOG) continues to sell the rest of its catalogue at region free prices then they will still be price competitive and thus will possibly be the best priced option, maintaining custom at its site'. If anything, framing the sentence you quoted with the sentence prior would imply that GOG would not suffer because of their change in stance, and that they would successfully compete on a more open level.
Kyanti4869: I know man... I know =(
Lodium: were woud we going though.
Steam?
Origin? Shudders!!!
U-play?
GMG?
D2D?
Humble Bundle?

Probably dozens more ive forgotten about.
I know Steam is DRM.... but it's the best out of the worst. Still makes it bad, but what can we do?
If you fully boycott gaming as a hobby and end it... it doesn't matter, because 20 more just joined.
I'd rather go by posts, as pages depend on user forum configurations. :P It's showing 44 pages on my end, so, let's just go with 2173 posts (by the time of this one).

(Just joking, don't get me wrong, this thing is just so seriously out of hand, it's tiring and frightening at the same time... -_- )
Selderij: The reason why uniform pricing was a selling point was exactly because it made games cheaper than normal for non-Americans, meaning that GOG was often a better option than Steam in a very tangible way instead of relying on goodwill support through sacrifice on the consumer's part. Take that away and Steam's deeper and broader discounts win hands down: GOG usually stops at -75% for a select few titles at a time, often forcibly bundled with throwaway games that nobody actually wants.
groze: Worldwide flat prices aren't fair for everyone, as well, with the currency conversions. Yes, we in the Euro Zone benefit from it, but when I tried talking about GOG to people in, say, the Russian Federation (I have some friends working there), they compared prices and came to the conclusion that GOG's pricing system wasn't exactly "fair" to them, so they kept buying off of Steam. Now, if you care about DRM-free games, then GOG is your only chance. Don't give me crap about Humble, those guys may have some DRM-free titles, but they're definitely not fully DRM-free. That's the only thing that has been a fundamental core value of GOG's, and arguably the one that's fair for everyone. Prices vary after conversion, depending on the country you live in, and, unfortunately, there's no such thing as "flat pricing", except in theory.Minimum wages here in Portugal are around €480/month, we're pretty poor, and this change in policy definitely hurts us, but in the long run I think it can be advantageous. What is fair to some is unfair to others. I feel for my Australian GOG friends, because they're the ones who'll get screwed the most but, again, it's not like they said this is going to happen for every game in the catalog.
Do I really have to take your wishful thinking at face value? Wait as you might, the benefits of paying more as a Euro customer will never manifest themselves to you in any short or long run (I don't think you specified how it would possibly happen either). The benefits will manifest in GOG's and game publishers' bank accounts, and that's where they'll stay, too. There will be no final judgment where your sacrifice will be recognized and rewarded.

Russian customers paying less for their games does in no way require that Europeans and Australians pay more than usual. It's the latter point that's at issue here.

Virtually none of the regionally priced games will be GOG.com exclusives, so for consumers it really doesn't make a big difference whether they appear on the GOG catalog or not. DRM-freeness has a practical effect on only a very small portion of people because most games you buy on Steam can be played on pretty much any device you have, and just like Steam, you can't sell off "your" GOG games: the site's account system with its limited property management functionality is a form of DRM in that respect. The DRM aspect is mostly a matter of image and ideology, whereas the price you pay is very tangible.

groze: It's only natural to be afraid, but it gets unhealthy when it becomes paranoia and assumptions based on conjecture. The "slippery slope logical fallacy" isn't good for anyone, it just helps spread fear and anger with no justification except for vague statements like "now that they've opened Pandora's box, it can't be closed", or "if they ditch one of their core values, they're just one step from ditching the others". We don't know.
It's a fallacy in itself to think of everything as a slippery slope fallacy when possible future consequences are being speculated. We know for a fact now that a core principle that GOG has been proud to wave around is now gone only a few months after the GOG bosses held the lecture about the importance of sticking to your principles. It means in a very concrete fashion that their tenets aren't as ironclad as they've led us to believe, and all it took was some new big titles that will also be on Steam for probably the same price.