It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
high rated
You know what the worst thing is? If these games actually fail on GOG, piracy and DRM-Free will be to blame, instead of regional pricing :/
JediEagle: You know what the worst thing is? If these games actually fail on GOG, piracy and DRM-Free will be to blame, instead of regional pricing :/
True.
We just can't win, ey?
Selderij: The reason why uniform pricing was a selling point was exactly because it made games cheaper than normal for non-Americans, meaning that GOG was often a better option than Steam in a very tangible way instead of relying on goodwill support through sacrifice on the consumer's part. Take that away and Steam's deeper and broader discounts win hands down: GOG usually stops at -75% for a select few titles at a time, often forcibly bundled with throwaway games that nobody actually wants.
Worldwide flat prices aren't fair for everyone, as well, with the currency conversions. Yes, we in the Euro Zone benefit from it, but when I tried talking about GOG to people in, say, the Russian Federation (I have some friends working there), they compared prices and came to the conclusion that GOG's pricing system wasn't exactly "fair" to them, so they kept buying off of Steam. Now, if you care about DRM-free games, then GOG is your only chance. Don't give me crap about Humble, those guys may have some DRM-free titles, but they're definitely not fully DRM-free. That's the only thing that has been a fundamental core value of GOG's, and arguably the one that's fair for everyone. Prices vary after conversion, depending on the country you live in, and, unfortunately, there's no such thing as "flat pricing", except in theory.Minimum wages here in Portugal are around €480/month, we're pretty poor, and this change in policy definitely hurts us, but in the long run I think it can be advantageous. What is fair to some is unfair to others. I feel for my Australian GOG friends, because they're the ones who'll get screwed the most but, again, it's not like they said this is going to happen for every game in the catalog.

It's only natural to be afraid, but it gets unhealthy when it becomes paranoia and assumptions based on conjecture. The "slippery slope logical fallacy" isn't good for anyone, it just helps spread fear and anger with no justification except for vague statements like "now that they've opened Pandora's box, it can't be closed", or "if they ditch one of their core values, they're just one step from ditching the others". We don't know.

Not being particularly excited and happy about this change in policy, myself, I still choose to follow the "wait and see" approach, as it seems to be the best course of action, as of now, when we know little to nothing about the whole thing, and pretty much every "fact" we put out, positive or negative, is still hypothetical and based on conjecture and assumption.

On the subject of how GOG decided to drop this bomb, coating the news by dressing them as "good news", that's the only thing I'm a bit mad about, but I'm willing to take that as having been an honest mistake. And, hey!, if anything, it shows GOG does care for their community, as they made this announcement in advance, unlike what every other digital distributor out there does. They usually make the changes and create a closed thread in their forums or release some PR announcement saying they've done it. GOG announced it weeks in advance, and has been allowing this never-ending venting, ranting, legitimate complaining and overreacting bitching and moaning all together. Like I said before, five years of stellar service and dedication, plus this openness towards their community earn them some respect and trust on our part, at least in my book.
Lykaon: yes, 1 USD != 1 EUR, but the EUR is more worth
atm: 1 Euro = 1,3744 US-Dollar. Why should I buy a 40 USD-game for 54,97600 USD.
d2t: Because in Europe stores must include VAT in the price of the product (around 20% or more) which is not the case of prince in the US? Extra few dollars on top are usually there as a buffer to currency conversion rates changes.

So let me revert your question: why should developer make less money from sales in Europe? Because the seller has to pay some taxes added "on top" of the product value? :)
true. Why not just let europeans pay double the price of the americans :D
gibbeynator: I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be as outraged over this if it were the price to pay to get LucasArts, or the original System Shock, or some other highly requested classic game.
Nice, but... Who is going to "pay" that price? Non-North American customers, of course. ;-)
JediEagle: You know what the worst thing is? If these games actually fail on GOG, piracy and DRM-Free will be to blame, instead of regional pricing :/
Kyanti4869: True.
We just can't win, ey?
The game was rigged from the start.
They're still using flat pricing except for new launches, though. I'm not going to get into slippery slope predictions. That's what we have right now in the present.

Folks aren't taking into account the worth of DRM-free with customers either.

Announcing that they were bringing newer games here and officially dropping "Good old Games" was suppose to spell their demise, because that was a major selling point that separated them from the other digital distributors according to a lot of members here back at the time. It hasn't happened.
Post edited February 23, 2014 by JohnnyDollar
Professor_Cake: I used to buy my games exclusively on GOG. Now it is just another digital distribution retailer and will be treated as such.
JohnnyDollar: I heard that before whenever they decided to bring newer games here and that GOG no longer officially stood for "Good Old Games". There was a lot of prognosticating about GOG's grim future because of this. They seem to be doing ok so far, though.

People still come in here and complain about it even though classics are added to the catalog every month.
Indeed, GOG won't die because one person changes their stance from excluively purchasing GOG content to treating them like any other DDR (for the benefit of clarity this means I will be making my purchase decisions based on the best price across all DDRs). To be honest I can't see where I have stated otherwise, or where my message was meant to convey this. GOG still sells and releases old games as well as new games, which has maintained its success. If it continues to sell the rest of its catalogue at region free prices then they will still be price competitive and thus will possibly be the best priced option, maintaining custom at its site. The point I was trying to make was that, to me, GOG represented more than a simple DDR for people like myself because of its principles, but its recent turn of face has eliminated that status and is now just any other supplier of games and thus expected to compete on that level.
We just can't win, ey?
trusteft: The game was rigged from the start.
True. You win people over time, then you do as you please. Look at EA, no matter how much they screw up, they still control the market. Titanfall is taking over peoples' wallets.
We just can't win, ey?
I think its because Gamers doesnt pressure their politicians much.
Look at Steam. Its just recently they had to go to court because of the no used games sell policy they had
and they (Steam) had been selling games to europeans many years before that.
Professor_Cake: The point I was trying to make was that, to me, GOG represented more than a simple DDR for people like myself because of its principles, but its recent turn of face has eliminated that status and is now just any other supplier of games and thus expected to compete on that level.
Right, which has the implication, whether deliberate or not, that GOG will suffer from the decision that they've made. Or at least that's how I'm interpreting it, perhaps because I've seen it stated so much. I'm questioning that implication, is all, not your decision, priorities, or circumstances that you're in.
Lodium: I think its because Gamers doesnt pressure their politicians much.
Look at Steam. Its just recently they had to go to court because of the no used games sell policy they had
and they (Steam) had been selling games to europeans many years before that.
Gamers vote EA as the worst company in USA. Two months later, they buy the hell out of their games.... lol
You know... sometimes I feel like I want to call it quits.
Great Work, gog!

You now have officially become one of the big bads you always wanted to fight.
Treating every customer the same regardless where he came from? That's history now.

"regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe" so we are doing the same.
Great, so why is that? It wouldn't become standard if not everybody would do it.
Next time a lemming jumps off a cliff, just jump after him. BECAUSE EVERYBODY DOES IT.

So, instead of paying 9,99$ we europeans are about to pay 13,99$.
Man, that really sounds fair for all of us, doesn't it?

What's next gog?
Games only americans get but not europeans?
I knew something smelled fishy when Deponia 3 was released wihtout german and NOBODY said why.

Therefor:
Thanks liars, I am out of here.
CarrionCrow: Also, abandonware is like antique theft for software. It's a BS term made up by people who didn't want to say or feel that they were just pirates with an age fetish. Sounds nicer than piracy, but still piracy.
Selderij: Do you know why abandonware is called that? It's because the software has been completely abandoned by its owners, i.e. you couldn't buy it from any source that benefits the IP owners even if you really wanted. Your theft analogy is crap: nobody loses anything when an abandonware title is copied. It's more akin to visiting an Atari game cartridge dump and instead of taking an abandoned game with you, you duplicate one with a scifi device. Oh shit, but it's theft and piracy according to CarrionCrow: police to the rescue!
For me it isn't just a matter of gaining or losing. It's a matter of "Should I have this in my possession right now?" Did I buy it? No. Did I create it? No. Was it a gift? No. Did I find it at a pawn shop/used game store/whatever? No. If I have it in my possession, and there's no good, valid, legal reason to have it? THEN I STOLE IT. "Oh wait, the people who spent the time making this to begin with, they stopped caring, so....field day!" Lie to yourself all day long, steal whatever you're going to steal. But call it what it is. No need for bullshit rationalization, we're all adults here. Do what you're gonna do, but keep the nonsense labels out of it. Right, it's abandonware. No, it's people looking for a reason. The company who makes it doesn't have any responsibility to keep supporting it until the end of time. Doesn't mean that they're okay with people swiping it. If they were? IT'D BE FREEWARE.
Crazy_Borg: Great Work, gog!

You now have officially become one of the big bads you always wanted to fight.
Treating every customer the same regardless where he came from? That's history now.

"regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe" so we are doing the same.
Great, so why is that? It wouldn't become standard if not everybody would do it.
Next time a lemming jumps off a cliff, just jump after him. BECAUSE EVERYBODY DOES IT.

So, instead of paying 9,99$ we europeans are about to pay 13,99$.
Man, that really sounds fair for all of us, doesn't it?

What's next gog?
Games only americans get but not europeans?
I knew something smelled fishy when Deponia 3 was released wihtout german and NOBODY said why.

Therefor:
Thanks liars, I am out of here.
This makes me sad... =(