It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
Scureuil: No poster, no map, no manual, no usable backup, nothing ? Seriously, WTF ? The only physical versions that still holds a decent value are the collector ones, because the Digital Special or Digital Collector editions are usually a joke.

I still hope that Gog will go back to their previous stance, as it's the most sensible one.
Tbh, this is the only thing that I miss on gog, physical stuff:) I am so sad how few games have it and one have to buy collector's edition to get more than just a digital code...

I quite like crowdfunding (I am not really fan of kickstarter, it is not payment method friendly), I really like that I can support developers directly. I think that current system of digital rights and such is inherently broken, rights go to publishers, not to creators of the game and devs, distributors and even gamers have short end of the stick. We can choose not to buy (or sell in the case of devs), but that is all.

With crowdfunding on the rise, I would hope that gog tries to reach to Cloud Imperium Games for Star Citizen, toFrontier Developements for Elite: Dangerous and to Warhorse studio for Kingdom Come just to name a few, I would really prefer if they tried to work more with devs and less with publishers. I believe, that devs are mainly artists proud of their product and money are just bonus (but also necessary condition to make the game), that they do not need nor want to maximize profit (at least in theory) by introducing DRM, regional pricing, day one DLCs and so on... I would like option to buy games here once they leave kickstarter (or even have "gog.com" crowdfunding for indies).

The thing is, I do not believe that traditional publishers will change. They are too big for that. The only thing we can do is to ignore them. The regional pricing will not help, it will strengthen their position and weaken position of gog. Publishers are probably quite happy if they are able to sell older games, but I am afraid that with the new AAA titlles they will push BS like regional pricing (and DRM). I do not want "big preorders & regional pricing" for AAA titles of big publishers, if anything, I would prefer "crowdfunding & fair price" directly from devs.
DAlancole: You mean like they did before the announcement?
Luc2k: It's still fairly difficult to find all the GOG installers with goodies if one is not very knowledgeable of piracy. They're also a lot less popular than cracked releases and they rarely get updated when patches/goodies are added, unlike cracked releases.

I have a feeling GOG "releases" will become a lot more popular once regional priced games start hitting the store, especially if they're day-1. I also know that cracking games is a dick measuring contest for the groups that do the cracking, but the actual pirates will not care about that and with GOG having no DRM, they may even beat those groups to release.
I think most people who play games know how to type "name of game torrent", it's not that difficult and doesn't require arcane knowledge. Let it be said that I am NOT advocating piracy, just being realistic.
I have question, now that you have overrided your own core value, will you bring us games for linux by not concernig how will you do support for them?

Because, it is much more requested feature, and less core value breaking.

Especially if you distribute them as bonus as it was suggested number of times.
Post edited February 23, 2014 by Miljac
GOG.com: We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!...

...For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com...
cyboff: You know what GOG? Why you just do not start to re-sell Steam keys, and also Origin and Uplay keys? You can get onboard all those great games you have trouble with so far... Having choices is always better!
And it is so easy and profitable! You don' t need to bother with patching system, testing games, having big support team... You can be still selling some DRM-free games after all! And for those not happy - just give them a free game when they pre-order such a key!
Gosh!!! Still can't get that bad taste out of my mouth!!!
The policy hasn't come into effect yet and, thus, we haven't even seen how it will be executed. Granted, regional pricing has always been exploited in the worst possible way but let's just wait and see what happens.
Miljac: I have question, now that you have overrided your own core value, will you bring us games for linux by not concernig how will you do support for them?

GOG will add DRM before they add Linux versions.
Luc2k: It's still fairly difficult to find all the GOG installers with goodies if one is not very knowledgeable of piracy. They're also a lot less popular than cracked releases and they rarely get updated when patches/goodies are added, unlike cracked releases.

I have a feeling GOG "releases" will become a lot more popular once regional priced games start hitting the store, especially if they're day-1. I also know that cracking games is a dick measuring contest for the groups that do the cracking, but the actual pirates will not care about that and with GOG having no DRM, they may even beat those groups to release.
DAlancole: I think most people who play games know how to type "name of game torrent", it's not that difficult and doesn't require arcane knowledge. Let it be said that I am NOT advocating piracy, just being realistic.
I think you completely missed the point I was trying to make.
Maybe they should put another button next to Wishlist button.
Blacklist - i.e. now way I'm every buying this so please do not show it to me again...

*Only half joking.
TheEnigmaticT: If we ever add DRM to GOG.com, I'll eat my freaking hat. And video it for you all to see. ;)
Lemon_Curry: Although I am fully aware that you're merely joking I find the 'If we ever add DRM...' part more than somewhat troubling.*

Like others I reserve judgement until I know how it's all going to be implemented but (at least partly) abandoning a core principle doesn't bode well for the future.

What has me worried aside from the obvious concerns regarding issues such as censorship, regional inaccessibility, unfair pricing etc. is that the decision significantly affects GOG’s trustworthiness; one of its strongest and most well-regarded company characteristics. One that you can’t put a price on.

* Just in case… may I humbly suggest that Monsieur tries the Hatatouille?:
[url=http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/HowTo:Eat_Your_Hat]http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/HowTo:Eat_Your_Hat[/url]
Hahaahhaa ^
Just try to couple this with the dirty fork sketch from Monty Python.
low rated
groze: Like Tankman101 posted before, all the conjecture and paranoia I see in here only lead to THIS.

Let's not overreact any more, drop the pitchforks, already, take a deep breath and let's all wait and see. This whole thing is getting seriously out of hand, and it's so annoying that GOG may as well lose more community members out of this fruitless discussion than customers out of the whole change in policy.
Bravo sir, bravo.
Miljac: I have question, now that you have overrided your own core value, will you bring us games for linux by not concernig how will you do support for them?

That's what I was thinking. The request for GOG to sell games with Linux clients that already exist is currently #4 in the Requested Site Features category. There are plenty of other Linux related requests as well. Instead of infuriating the community by introducing regional pricing, why not actually give the community what it wants; what it has voted for? Surely a smart business pleases its customers, no? As has been said, if GOG is willing to drop one of its founding principles, then all Linux related excuses are void.
high rated
StickOfPlywood: You may want to go over some of the (quite rational) discussion which has taken place over the past two days, rather than jumping to your own conclusions. (Ironic, isn't it?)
Johnmourby: Not really. I skimmed through nearly all the comments and from beginning to the time of my posting I saw the same pattern. High marks for cheap shots at GOG and low marks for saying "maybe this isn't so bad". I wouldn't call a response to reading 70+ pages of comments "jumping to conclusions".

And discussion implies a level of back-and-forth and debate. There has been none. 90% of the comment are elaborate statements of "You suck" (and less elaborate ones). The 10% that challenge that get downvoted. Not much discussion there.

Maybe you should be so keen to try snubbing people with waitless words. Maybe you should reread to first 70+ pages and try to find some rational discussion.
Cheap shots at GOG? Like, e.g., posting these links about the importance of sticking to your principles or how regional pricing is a rip-off, all in their own words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzIYJ15CMbk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6P3yOTR2Vc&t=1194

It looks more like GOG made a cheap shot at us with their original post and its "Good news" spin.
high rated
DAlancole: The policy hasn't come into effect yet and, thus, we haven't even seen how it will be executed. Granted, regional pricing has always been exploited in the worst possible way but let's just wait and see what happens.
It is not that much about money like about principles! And GOG clearly showed us, they can bend their MAIN principle here and there! Once they changed one policy, they can change also the other, because why not, when it brings yet another great new publisher here! And they need to grow! It is a business after all!
But it is no more that fair business I was supporting and was proud about being here!
high rated
groze: Like Tankman101 posted before, all the conjecture and paranoia I see in here only lead to THIS.

Let's not overreact any more, drop the pitchforks, already, take a deep breath and let's all wait and see. This whole thing is getting seriously out of hand, and it's so annoying that GOG may as well lose more community members out of this fruitless discussion than customers out of the whole change in policy.
Johnmourby: Bravo sir, bravo.
Hmm, amongst the 2040 posts (Yes, I've read them all) I see only two posts which can be summarized as "Bye, bye GOG"
In general I see people that take the trouble of posting care about the yesterday GOG and want that GOG to return. The same thing can be said about a person. If a person is not dear to your heart, you simply walk away and do not try to convince her/ him to change his/ her ways, because by arguing you choose to invest energy into the matter.
Post edited February 23, 2014 by jorlin
If this turns out to be Blizzard Entertainment with Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, and Diablo I and II, they will still sell like hot-cakes, regional pricing or not.
Lemon_Curry: A short reminder:

Q: Isn't your name Good Old Games? It seems kind of silly to sell new games on an old gaming website.

A: We've always been about our core values: DRM-free games, flat prices worldwide, and extra goodies included in our releases. So don't think about us as "Good Old Games"; think of us as "GOG.com", and perhaps you can work your way around that objection. ;)

Q: I see your terrible plot! When you guys start selling games with DRM, I will leave the Internets in disgust and never return.

A: Don't worry: we're devoted to those three core values that we mentioned above, and we know that if we ever abandoned them we'd quickly become just another digital distributor. Our goal is to become the best alternative digital distributor out there: the guys who do it differently, who respect their customers, and who can help change what the industry is doing as a result. [my emphasis]
Lemon_Curry: Source: http://www.gog.com/news/gog_coms_plan_for_the_future_gets_some_news
Let's see what kind of rhetoric they come up with to explain this away.

Should give us a good laugh at least.